Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

Request: Flying Tigers 747-8F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Request: Flying Tigers 747-8F

I have really been enjoying some of the fantastic metallic paints for the 747, particularly by both Steve Dra and thibodba57. The one that really captivated me is the Flying Tigers B747-400F. As a fan of the legendary Flying Tigers, this has created a furious desire to add a metallic Flying Tigers 747-8F to the hanger. Any one interested in taking on such a challenge? This virtual pilot would be extremely grateful!

Thanks again,
    Gabe Pfeiffer

thibodba57 has a really nice metallic paint kit for the 747-8, but I haven't found one for the F. If I can find it, I'll gladly take a stab at it
    Last edited by treeb52; 16Mar2021, 15:18.
    Bryan Roundtree

Comment

Originally posted by treeb52 View Post
      thibodba57 has a really nice metallic paint kit for the 747-8, but I haven't found one for the F. If I can find it, I'll gladly take a stab at it
      I think I meant to get back and make a -8F metal Paintkit. But I never got around to it. I’ll be home in a week or so. I’ll look into it if I don’t get to busy. I think I brought the Tiger up to Steve though already.
      Brian Thibodeaux
      ‘Giant’ B747-400/8 Captain
      Typed MD-80, BE1900
      ATP, CFI, MEI
      My Liveries

Comment

I love your rendition of the flying tigers B744F, amazing. If you decide to do the repaint for the B748F, double thank you to you.

All the best.

Christian C./
        Christian C./

Comment

Originally posted by cconesa View Post
          I love your rendition of the flying tigers B744F, amazing. If you decide to do the repaint for the B748F, double thank you to you.

All the best.

Christian C./
          Steve Dra Its actually Steve’s paint on top of my metal. We partner up for paints occasionally. So I won’t do the -8 unless he says I can do it or he aligns it himself. I’ll hit him up though when I get home. I can’t see the -8F taking more than an afternoon honestly.
          Brian Thibodeaux
          Typed MD-80, BE1900
          ATP, CFI, MEI
          My Liveries

Comment

Hello Brian. Have you given any further thoughts to this repaint?. I have the 2nd thank you ready to fly...

All the best!.
            Christian C./

Comment

Originally posted by cconesa View Post
              Hello Brian. Have you given any further thoughts to this repaint?. I have the 2nd thank you ready to fly...

All the best!.
              I’m still out in the system. I was exposed to a person that tested positive to Covid. So in quarantine for a few more days. Unfortunately I can’t guarantee I will be able to even look at the paint until the 8th or so of April as I’m supposed to start work again on the 1st. This quarantine is going to eat up all my off days.
              Brian Thibodeaux
              Typed MD-80, BE1900
              ATP, CFI, MEI
              My Liveries

Comment

Originally posted by thibodba57 View Post

I’m still out in the system. I was exposed to a person that tested positive to Covid. So in quarantine for a few more days. Unfortunately I can’t guarantee I will be able to even look at the paint until the 8th or so of April as I’m supposed to start work again on the 1st. This quarantine is going to eat up all my off days.
                I hope your quarantine is as boring and uneventful as mine was four weeks ago. Stay safe and healthy.
                Gabe Pfeiffer

Comment

I hope that you are healthy and not touched by the covid virus. Stay safe.
                  Christian C./

Comment

• thibodba57
                    thibodba57 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Had it in October actually. Surprise surprise my test results came back negative yesterday. I’ll be back home tomorrow night and I’ll try to find time to look at the -8F.

Well, I've been taking a stab at a livery for the 8F. Gabe, is this what you were looking for? There's different versions of the tail and logo out there, so I just chose the most recent (I think). Please note, I simply put the livery onto the 747-8 metal paintkit that Brian Thibodeaux painstakingly created to check alignment and stuff, so that's why you see windows. I also did not transpose the livery to the alpha channel or the red channel, so that's why the paint is super metallic on the fuse. If Brian finds time to make an 8F metal kit, you guys are welcomed to the files for what I've been working on. Also, give me some feedback, if you want. Do you want the tail logo that spells out "Flying Tigers"? Do you want the old style "T" on the tail? The side logo and the tail logo were created in PowerPoint. The side logo was NOT EASY. In another post, I asked if anyone knew the font that was used on the original aircraft. Finally, I think my blue coloring is too dark. If anyone has the actual HEX code or RGB code for the red and the blue, that would be GREATLY appreciated. For the white, I went with 240,240,240 to allow for shine in PBR.
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.
                  Bryan Roundtree

Comment

Bryan,

Looking really great. I like the updated logo on the tail and the font seems appropriate to my eye. What a beauty this beast would be! Anyone else have any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,
                    Gabe Pfeiffer

Comment

I’ll be home tomorrow and going on days off. I’ll finally get a chance to look at a -8F paint kit. Hopefully won’t be to long.
                      Brian Thibodeaux
                      Typed MD-80, BE1900
                      ATP, CFI, MEI
                      My Liveries

Comment

Thanks Brian!
                        Bryan Roundtree

Comment

Looking forward to the repaint!
                          Christian C./

Comment

Ok work has begun! Obviously you can still see the shadow door outlines. I'll have to try and remember how to fix that without reinventing the wheel in the process. You might also be able to tell what my test bed paint might be if you know my previous paints on the -400.
                            Brian Thibodeaux
                            Typed MD-80, BE1900
                            ATP, CFI, MEI
                            My Liveries

Comment

• gabep
                              gabep commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Now we're talkin'!

Man, that's gonna look SWEET!!!
                            Bryan Roundtree

Comment

Where I'm at with Flying Tigers. Will see if I get a chance to work on it again today.
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 1 photos.
                              Brian Thibodeaux
                              Typed MD-80, BE1900
                              ATP, CFI, MEI
                              My Liveries

Comment

Where I'm at with Flying Tigers. Will see if I get a chance to work on it again today.
                                Absolutely stunning! Thanks Brian for the effort.
                                Gabe Pfeiffer

Comment

Looks Great Brian! Looking forward to putting in some hours flying her! Congrats on the promotion!

Regards,
                                  Todd Legon

Comment

Hey Brian, you want my paint files? The lettering and tail came out really nice.
                                    Bryan Roundtree

Comment

Thank Gentlemen. But I can't really take credit. The work belongs to SteveDra I'm just aligning all the markings up.

treeb52 if the lettering is all the same I'll just send you the body and you can throw the tail on it and change the registration. That way I don't have to adjust another three metallic files you'll only have to adjust the tail metallic for your registration. The angled strip would all be done for you as well.
                                      Brian Thibodeaux
                                      Typed MD-80, BE1900
                                      ATP, CFI, MEI
                                      My Liveries

Comment

Ok I think I'm done with Tiger. Just need to make a thumbnail and I'm working on that now.

Brian Thibodeaux
                                        Typed MD-80, BE1900
                                        ATP, CFI, MEI
                                        My Liveries

Comment

Ok I think I'm done with Tiger. Just need to make a thumbnail and I'm working on that now.
                                          Looks fantastic Brian! I think the metal is just right. Classy lookin paint. 😁

Awesome job.

Regards, Steve Dra
                                          Click here to download my P3D, FSX, 2004 paints at Avsim
                                          Click here to downloads my MSFS DC-6 paints on flightsim.to

Comment

Beautiful!!!
                                            Bryan Roundtree

Comment

Is this a real operator?
                                              Ilari Kousa, Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Ilari Kousa View Post
                                                Is this a real operator?
                                                Flying Tigers was. They flew the Classics before FedEx bought them and gave FedEx their only 74. But no not currently. I’m assuming people only want the livery for nostalgia and to see PBR work.
                                                Brian Thibodeaux
                                                Typed MD-80, BE1900
                                                ATP, CFI, MEI
                                                My Liveries

Comment

Noticed a couple things on the metal texturing so haven’t posted it. If someone wants a beta send me a PM. But I’ll want feedback ASAP not sit on it and never get back to me pls.
                                                  Brian Thibodeaux
                                                  Typed MD-80, BE1900
                                                  ATP, CFI, MEI
                                                  My Liveries

Comment

Hey Brian, I have a question on Mip Maps. I'm following your youtube vid and I'm trying to do a Flying Tigers 747-8BCF. Do you use MipMaps? If so, on what? For instance, the livery DDSs, the Metallic DDSs, Bump Map DDSs, etc? What's your technique? I THINK when I don't use them, it eats up my memory when dynamic reflections are turned on
                                                    Last edited by treeb52; 17Apr2021, 13:58.
                                                    Bryan Roundtree

Comment

Originally posted by treeb52 View Post
                                                      Hey Brien, I have a question on Mip Maps. I'm following your youtube vid and I'm trying to do a Flying Tigers 747-8BCF. Do you use MipMaps? If so, on what? For instance, the livery DDSs, the Metallic DDSs, Bump Map DDSs, etc? What's your technique? I THINK when I don't use them, it eats up my memory when dynamic reflections are turned on
                                                      No I don't use mipmaps. Whether or not this affects memory usage I have no idea. But I was never happy with any results utilizing it.
                                                      Brian Thibodeaux
                                                      Typed MD-80, BE1900
                                                      ATP, CFI, MEI
                                                      My Liveries

Comment

OK guys, how about a 747-8BCF? I've been taking some serious inspiration from Mr. Thibodeaux. I have to say, I'm having fun! Got a lot of work left to do, but I'm enjoying it 2021-4-17_9-53-42-909.jpg
                                                        Bryan Roundtree

Comment

Working...
                                                        X