Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

737-600NGXu - White Vertical Line Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

737-600NGXu - White Vertical Line Issue

I've got an issue with a white vertical line appearing between fuse2 and fuse3 that I can't see in the actual files themselves:

fuse2.pngfuse3.png

As these show, the dark blue goes all the way to the edge of the paint area however when loaded in the sim, there appears to be a thin white line between these sections:

fuse-line.png

Has anyone seen this when painting the NGXu before and how did you resolve that?
    Attached Files
    Trevor Hannant

Does it only show up when you're zoomed in that close?
    Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

There at a distance also:

fuse-line2.png

Also looks like there may be similar between fuse1 and fuse2 on that angle...
      Trevor Hannant

Comment

There appears to be something amiss when I'm copying the flattened sections from the Master file as I've just found the same issue on the -700 although it only appears at certain angles and zoom factors...
        Last edited by TrevorHannant; 12Sep2020, 18:11.
        Trevor Hannant

Comment

What do you want to do ?
          New mailCopy

Comment

White line.docx Let me know. Ciao

Comment

What do you want to do ?
              New mailCopy

Comment

What do you want to do ?
                New mailCopy

Comment

Example
                  What do you want to do ?
                  New mailCopy

Attached Files

Comment

It was a issue with the mapping of some textures there was a fix, it had to do something with the bump maps I think.

EDIT: Nvm this is NGXu not NGX
                    Weston Hall

Comment

This problem dates back to FS95 at least (well, maybe it was FS98 but whatever first got us off the old 256x256 16bit .*AF texture format). When anti-aliasing first came out painters actually could use this to their advantage to create colors otherwise unavailable using the fixed default pallet by making a tiny checkerboard pattern and letting the sim blend the colors when it displayed the textures with the anti-aliasing. When using anti-aliasing the sim attempts to blend or blur the textures to smooth out the appearance. It does this by partially drawing what is in the next pixel over on the texture. In the case of texture mappings that go all the way to an edge of a texture, the sim tries to blend with the first pixel on the opposite side of the texture. When textures were limited to 256x256 the sim didn't "look to the other side" and so it didn't blend with pixels on the far side of the texture (and maybe at 512x512 but definitely not when we went up to 1024x1024 and greater). However, as textures got bigger it also started bleeding across to the other side and so we started to see weird lines like this showing up. The simple solution was to not use all the texture and leave a buffer area around the sides, but this leads to some overlap and can make creating single master fuselage sheets harder as well as making cutting up into texture sections more time consuming.

Take the forward fuselage on the NGXu. As the texture extends back along the fuselage it reaches the far right side of the texture. In order to smooth out the appearance when using anti-aliasing, the sim then takes the first pixel from the far left side of the texture. In the case of the NGXu, this far left side of that texture isn't used so it's usually a plain color in a shade of white/grey and if you have a colored fuselage this can lead to a thin band of grey/white showing up. In the case of my MetroJet 737-600NGXu if I turn on anti-aliasing in P3Dv4.5 I get thin grey lines at the end of fuselage1 and the front of fuselage3 because of the way the sim blends the textures and the fact that the far side of the texture from the fuselage is plain grey instead of bright red like the fuselage.

In your case, it looks like the forward blue line is coming from the fact that the "front" side of fuselage2 is white while the "back" side is blue causing that thin blue line, since the entire width of the texture is used. I would guess that the thin white line at the rear comes from the fact that the front of fuselage2 is white plus I bet once you go off the back of the fuselage on the fuselage3 texture you left it white or grey (or maybe not, hard to tell from the photos bit it would be there from fuselage2 either way).

Long story short you can minimize it somewhat by duplicating the last few (only need 2 or 3) pixels of the fuselage on the far, unused side of the fuselage1 and fuselage3 textures but since fuselage2 is different on both ends it will still be there only slightly smaller, or you can play around with your anti-alias settings in the sim to see if it goes away. Because of the way the textures are mapped changing your AA settings (and possibly a few others, it's trial and error for me to make it work) are your best bet.

Something changed between P3Dv4 and v5 in the handling of anti-aliasing too. On the same computer I find I have to use different settings between the two of them to eliminate the similar lines I experienced in my MetroJet 737-600 repaint but I was ultimately able to eliminate them without making changes that made the overall sim appearance change.
                      Nick Botamer
                      View my repaints at http://nbflightsim.com/

Comment

Thanks Nick, will give that a shot. Haven't seen the issue in any others I've painted in the VA's fleet which made me wonder...
                        Trevor Hannant

Comment

Working...
                        X