Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

Takeoff Performance Calculations and ACARS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Takeoff Performance Calculations and ACARS

First off, I love your products and I am eagerly awaiting the release of global operations, however I do have a question. Many operators get their takeoff calculations through an ACARS request, is this something that will be supported? I mostly fly the 777 and it would be a great addition to have a performance calculator, especially through ACARS in addition to an EFB option.

Thank you,
    Robert Briscoe

I'm pretty sure Kyle is sworn to secrecy at the moment until the application reaches a later development stage, but I too am hoping for a decent takeoff perf calc, especially for working out the RTOW in the 744. TOPCAT has been a trusty tool all these years, but it's time for something more accurate I feel.
    Flight Sim Guides YouTube Channel
    none

Comment

Kyle cant say anything. Lets compare him up to the the russian government not saying anything to it own people for 5 days after Chernobyl popped its cap.
      Alex Kulak
      PMDG Studier and flyer
      Ramp Agent @PHX

Comment

Originally posted by Swaluver88 View Post
        Kyle cant say anything. Lets compare him up to the the russian government not saying anything to it own people for 5 days after Chernobyl popped its cap.
        Kyle is KGB agent sshhhhh
        Stefan Đorđević

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan_888 View Post
          Kyle is KGB agent sshhhhh
          Whoops stuff leaks out..
          Alex Kulak
          PMDG Studier and flyer
          Ramp Agent @PHX

Comment

Back to the topic, I THINK it was said by either Kyle or Robert that performance calculation would be just one of many features that were included - and/or possible to implement by VAs that use the interface. I must say that I‘m not totally sure anymore but there‘s something in the back of my mind.. but the answer could be in the presentation Robert did at the flightsim con.
            Marc Ehnle

Comment

Thank you all for your responses, I’ll take a look at the video.

Robert Briscoe

Comment

There’s also this one you could try.

https://toper-web.com/
                Danny Cebis

Comment

Originally posted by aviator96 View Post
                  First off, I love your products and I am eagerly awaiting the release of global operations, however I do have a question. Many operators get their takeoff calculations through an ACARS request, is this something that will be supported? I mostly fly the 777 and it would be a great addition to have a performance calculator, especially through ACARS in addition to an EFB option.

Thank you,
                  Robert Briscoe
                  Hi Guys,

So excited about the GFO too ! Now, speaking about TO calculations, I think that most of airlines prefer EFB, rather than ACARS and DLNK which are more used for loadsheets, clearances, all other kind of resquests especially WX, company, ATC and maintenance stuffs.

And at GOL in Brazil, I think that until very recent years, they used paper charts for the TO performances calculations ! Maybe it changed now.

Best regards,

Thimote B.
                  Thimote B.
                  PMDG 737 & 777

Comment

• DDowns
                    DDowns commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree but not being at an airline I've held my tongue. I cannot imagine how the simple user interface on the ACARS could possibly provide a suitable takeoff calculation. There are too many variables such as NOTAM obstacles or runway shortening or even selecting flaps and derate..... I think a full screen complex UI is required and that is the EFB.

Hello,

Dan, I totaly agree with you. And, maybe there are also costs stories : for instance on a 737, renting ACARS service for TO maths could be, at long terms, more expensive than using an EFB class 2. And evidentely, it's less portable.

Best regards,

Thimote Bruno.
                  Thimote B.
                  PMDG 737 & 777

Comment

Boeing has its own performance calc. app that it licenses to operators based on their equipment etc. The OPT , or onboard performance tool.

-Eric
                    Regards,
                    Eric Hill

Comment

• DDowns
                      DDowns commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Eric, is the OPT in the CDU or the EFB, or a in a device such as a notepad?

Dan - BA (again!) use ACARS for their performance info on the B744 (and most other fleets - I think only the A380 and possibly B787 have on board ​​​performance - the 767 used paper tables and vital data cards for a long time but moved to the ACARS-based system for the last few years before its retirement). Really it is a hangover from the days before suitably portable and powerful laptops were readily available.

The crew enter the parameters (airfield, runway, QNH, wind, takeoff weight and CG and any other requirements such a specific flap setting, MEL items etc which are requested by means of various codes) on an ACARS page and send it off.

The data is sent via ACARS to a computer located somewhere at Heathrow where it chugs around for a bit coming up with an answer. Once it has a solution it pings back an ACARS message with the relevant details, a process which can take some minutes!
                    Simon Kelsey

Comment

• DDowns
                      DDowns commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The package delivery person has a more powerful system than the aircraft that delivered the package LOL.

• skelsey
                      skelsey commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Haha very true!

I can't find a (real world) example of the ACARS page at the moment but here's an example of the output:

https://twitter.com/Magsmeister23/st...44220897792000

• Michael Codd
                      Michael Codd commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You can send and receive more or less whatever you want using the Free Text page in ACARS, including requests for a new Flight Plan, Route Winds etc. The only problem is the output can use up a lot of paper due to the limited formatting and it sometimes ends up on the floor resembling a small printed loo roll. LOL.

Hello,

To me, put in that way, the OPT is kind of an app available on EFB class 2, tablets etc.

Best regards,
                    Last edited by BrunoT; 04May2019, 22:07.
                    Thimote B.
                    PMDG 737 & 777

Comment

heres some real world example of acars landing data...

she flies b744/b748 for ups

https://twitter.com/kclepley/status/1124563141390630913
                      Mike Teague - p3dv4.4 - B736 B737 B738 B739 B77L B77W B744 B748

Comment

The OPT is infact an ipad application for a class 2 EFB. It is possible to requst TPS data from dispatch if for some reason you're unsure. But, it's usually done by message rather than a menu request.
                        Last edited by MCAchief; 06May2019, 00:51. Reason: typo
                        Regards,
                        Eric Hill

Comment

Also, the image Simon shows is usually the planned TPS performance page of the release or OFP. Although, I don't know, and BA might have an ACARs means of requesting certified OM-10 data from their system.
                          Regards,
                          Eric Hill

Comment

Originally posted by MCAchief View Post
                            Also, the image Simon shows is usually the planned TPS performance page of the release or OFP. Although, I don't know, and BA might have an ACARs means of requesting certified OM-10 data from their system.
                            As I said -- they do, the system is called CARD and that is the output from it!
                            Simon Kelsey

Comment

It's bound to better than SABRE...
                              Regards,
                              Eric Hill

Comment

Originally posted by MCAchief View Post
                                It's bound to better than SABRE...
                                LOLOL

Regarding performance request: both U.S. Airlines (9E,NK) I have worked for use a company called Aerodata via acars/(dispatch if acars unavailable) as sole approved method for to/landing perf calculations. Swa does as well pic for proof...

image0.jpg

Afaik most US carriers use this system these days... which is a bit awkard when Aerodata goes down... https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...rodata-outage/

Comment

Here in Germany, no major carrier does it this way AFAIK. They all have efbs, most one used is the MS surface or an IPad. Still some south/south-eastern European airlines love their (mostly INOP tough) ACARS so much that I've never seen an efb in any of those ACs.
                                  Cheers Henrik K. IT Student and Ramp Agent at EDDL/DUS

Comment

Working...
                                  X