Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

MSFS2020 DC6 stutters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSFS2020 DC6 stutters

Hello,

I have the problem that I have a stutter in the cockpit when I turn the camera to look around. I also have the stuttering only in the cockpit view and only with the DC 6. When I switch to the FBW or to another aircraft, everything runs smoothly, even when I look around.
    I also found out that if I set the terrain slider to 10, the stuttering is gone.
    And it does not matter on which airport I start.

The community folder is empty !

Best regards
    Marco Neumann
    Last edited by Heisenberg1979; 28Sep2021, 07:13.
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Master 8G, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4-3600
    Marco Neumann

Maybe try different settings for "Off Screen Terrain Pre-Caching". For me it actually runs best on the Ultra setting as in that case the sim doesn´t need to load the terrain all the time when looking around. Needs more VRAM though, I guess, but with 8Gb that should not be an issue for you (also got 8Gb).
    Lennart Biermann - i5 7600k, RTX2080S, 32GB RAM, Samsung 49" Ultrawide screen

Comment

Well... I have experienced also stutters with the DC-6, so yesterday I updated it to its latest version,
      2.0.41. But the stutters persist. Jumping from 22 to 30 fps, especially on landing / taxi.
      Why do I assert this? Simple:
      Realizing the very same flight, at the very same time of the day, with the very same conditions and clear skies,
      obviously with the very same settings, with the PMDG 737-700 = Smooth as silk...... Solid 30 FPS.
      So why is this so, PMDG?

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370
      CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz
      Memory: 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000
      Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB
      Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K
      1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB
      1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB
      Windows 10 - 64 V. 21H1
      CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals
      Attached Files
      Alfredo Croci

Comment

Originally posted by ac5 View Post
        Well... I have experienced also stutters with the DC-6, so yesterday I updated it to its latest version,
        2.0.41. But the stutters persist. Jumping from 22 to 30 fps, especially on landing / taxi.
        Why do I assert this? Simple:
        Realizing the very same flight, at the very same time of the day, with the very same conditions and clear skies,
        obviously with the very same settings, with the PMDG 737-700 = Smooth as silk...... Solid 30 FPS.
        So why is this so, PMDG?

Mainboard: ASUS Maximus X Hero Intel Z 370
        CPU: Intel Core i7-8086K @ 4.0 GHz
        Memory: 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000
        Graphics Card: ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB
        Monitor ASUS PA 329 32" @ 4K
        1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 256 GB
        1 SSD Samsung 860 PRO 4 TB
        Windows 10 - 64 V. 21H1
        CH Pro combatstick, throttle and pedals
        When the DC6 was in development Asobo offered another rendering channel which the DC6 was released for shortly before SU5. With the release of SU5 Asobo deactivated this rendering channel and the DC6 has suffered a lot of (computer) performance since then. Until this date Asobo have been promising to turn this channel back on but all they did til now is to put it into dev mode as a beta. Search for „NanoVG“ for more information. If I turn this channel on the DC6 is as smooth as the 737 but I prefer not to use dev mode although that might just be some misinformed biases ^^
        Ryzen 9 5900X, RX 6900XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM @3600MHz, 4k
        Marc Eland
        GFO Beta

Comment

Hi all
          For what it is worth, a few weeks ago I tried the Dev Mode Nano VG thingy. I was very happy with the reduction in stuttering. I have no clue as to how it works but it did work for me.
          Best wishes
          Bob Laycock
          Bob Laycock

Comment

Well, there we are again.. Asobo Asobo... I do believe that all this mess is their fault, but there is really no way to modify the "rendering channel"
            of the DC-6 in order that it runs smoothly as the 737 does (And Carenados Mooney, C337 Skymaster, MSFS Cessna 172, FlyByWire A320 do for that matter...).
            I nevertheless will give a try of that "Dev Mode Nano VG thingy" hoping that it does not break something else.....
            Alfredo Croci

Comment

Well, It might well be that that "Dev Mode Nano VG thingy" wich is "experimental" helps with the FPS...
              BUT! It completely breaks the functionality of the Garmin GNS 430...
              So this is not a solution... PMDG? Somebody?
              Attached Files
              Alfredo Croci

Comment

PMDG? Any comments on that? The 737 has been marvellous, perfect, amazing since the very beginning, but the DC-6.... first, no OPC for the unfortunate ones that bought it from the marketplace, then, updating from the OPC to 2.0.41 caused the whole plane to disappear.. And now the stutters... Not really PMDG-like all this....
                Alfredo Croci

Comment

Well, there we are again.. Asobo Asobo... I do believe that all this mess is their fault, but there is really no way to modify the "rendering channel"
                  of the DC-6 in order that it runs smoothly as the 737 does (And Carenados Mooney, C337 Skymaster, MSFS Cessna 172, FlyByWire A320 do for that matter...).
                  I nevertheless will give a try of that "Dev Mode Nano VG thingy" hoping that it does not break something else.....
                  I wish PMDG would. Since SU9 the DC6 has performed so badly on my really powerful system that I haven‘t touched her anymore. The whole sim has turned into a mess for me once again but the DC6 is extra heavy on my system.. 🙄 I see that this would mean a large amount of extra work for PMDG and considering that it‘s not their fault at all I have no hopes, really. Maybe SU10 will change something to the better with the claimed advent of DLSS and so on but how often have we hoped for changes to the better when sim updates were announced? This program (MSFS) must be the digital product with the worst quality assurance I have ever used and for 2 years plus nothing has changed… so I guess we‘ll have to live with a pretty face and an ugly character.
                  Marc Eland
                  GFO Beta

Comment

Well, I doubt that SU10 will change something, because the problem lies solely with the DC-6.... As mentioned, the PMDG 737, Carenados Mooney and C337 Skymaster, MSFS Cessna 172, FlyByWire A320, all perform flawlessly, in the very same flight, at the very same time of the day, with the very same conditions and clear skies, and obviously with the very same settings. I will buy soon the Fenix A 320, I bet that one will also be OK. I am astounded that PMDG has not reacted to this thread, I know them as otherwise very correct and serious people, as proven by their wonderful MSFS 737......
                    Alfredo Croci

Comment

Well, I doubt that SU10 will change something, because the problem lies solely with the DC-6.... As mentioned, the PMDG 737, Carenados Mooney and C337 Skymaster, MSFS Cessna 172, FlyByWire A320, all perform flawlessly, in the very same flight, at the very same time of the day, with the very same conditions and clear skies, and obviously with the very same settings. I will buy soon the Fenix A 320, I bet that one will also be OK. I am astounded that PMDG has not reacted to this thread, I know them as otherwise very correct and serious people, as proven by their wonderful MSFS 737......
                      They have explained it many times before actually. When they developed the DC6 Asobo offered this additional rendering channel which has been removed with SU5 and has then later been added to the developer mode as a beta version. Since then hardly anything has happened. For PMDG the bad guy is Asobo, probably rightfully, but we customers have to live with it. As always.

and I just recognize that I wrote the same before well, I did that in many other threads as well and it won‘t be the last time for sure xD
                      Marc Eland
                      GFO Beta

Comment

Why do we customers have to live with it as always ?
                        Now I am retired, but as a former advertising photographer, if the lab or any of my
                        suppliers would have made mistakes, I would have either corrected them to the best of
                        my abilities, or offer a refund to my customers. Why is this instance any different?
                        Last edited by ac5; 21Jun2022, 16:02.
                        Alfredo Croci

Comment

Guess what... I have bought the Fenix A 320... That one also smooth as silk, as the PMDG 737, Carenados Mooney and C337 Skymaster, MSFS Cessna 172, and FlyByWire A320..
                          If there was any doubt that the only problem is the PMDG DC-6.....
                          Alfredo Croci

Comment

And still no comments whatsoever from PMDG. Deeply disappointing....
                            Alfredo Croci

Comment

And still no comments whatsoever from PMDG. Deeply disappointing....
                              Alfredo,

this is basically a user-to-user forum. PMDG staff roams it occasionally, moderating and helping here and there but that‘s not the rule. Official support as well as direct communication with devs goes via a ticket at support.pmdg.com. They will reply there.
                              Marc Eland
                              GFO Beta

Comment

This is very well, but trough the forum far more people are being made aware of the problem.
                                Alfredo Croci

Comment

Yeah, the DC-6 kinda feels like it's been abandoned by PMDG: I don't see any updates on it anymore.

I'm seeing stutters on the mainthread, and I'm using an RTX 3080Ti and a Ryzen 7 3800X; can't get any better, yet the stuttering is pretty bad.

Untitled.png

Overall, thoroughly disappointed in PMDG's stance on product support; it's sounding like they just drop products and don't support them when they're not guaranteed to make any money from them anymore, without much consideration for the customers who paid for the product on the assumption of continued service.

EDIT: To resolve this, all us customers want is communication, a guarantee that you actually are supporting the product, that you have a plan.
                                  Last edited by amahran; 26Jun2022, 16:36.
                                  Amr Diab

- My love, the light of the eye

Comment

Originally posted by amahran View Post
                                    Overall, thoroughly disappointed in PMDG's stance on product support; it's sounding like they just drop products and don't support them when they're not guaranteed to make any money from them anymore, without much consideration for the customers who paid for the product on the assumption of continued service.
                                    EDIT: To resolve this, all us customers want is communication, a guarantee that you actually are supporting the product, that you have a plan.
                                    INDEED. Could not agree more! And it would be nice that al least the DC-6 would "hold" 30 FPS.... It just does not. And all the other aircraft I already mentioned do,.....
                                    Alfredo Croci

Comment

And the likes keep on coming... But unfortunately not so any reaction from PMDG......
                                      Alfredo Croci

Comment

I wonder if PMDG are holding on major updates until this WASM issue fix for Xbox is implemented. It would make sense to address issues with the Six, at that time, rather than making fixes now only to have to, possibly, do it all again for the Xbox implementation.
                                        J.R. Love

”I can reverse engineer that for you.”

Comment

Well, whatever they are doing, i expect as a paying customer that they let us know....
                                          Alfredo Croci

Comment

Originally posted by amahran View Post
                                            Yeah, the DC-6 kinda feels like it's been abandoned by PMDG: I don't see any updates on it anymore.

I'm seeing stutters on the mainthread, and I'm using an RTX 3080Ti and a Ryzen 7 3800X; can't get any better, yet the stuttering is pretty bad.

Untitled.png

Omar-

No doubt at all that updates for the DC-6 have slowed down- but this is a natural course of things in software development. A slow rate of updates is the natural course for a product that has matured. The DC-6 has been through a number of iterations, so functionally it is in very good condition. The issues we are tracking for it have more to do with conflicts between the airplane and the platform that aren't things that can be solved quickly.

Right now, our primary focus is on bringing the 737 into focus for MSFS and that takes all available resources on the PMDG team. In spite of this we have actually pushed a couple of small tuning updates for DC-6, and there will be more along the way. I think the suspected "lack of communication" isn't actually lack of communication- it is that my talking points tend to be focused on the moving parts- (which means 737) and if you don't catch the updates where I mention DC-6 specifically (or some updates for the P3D products even) then you can be forgiven for thinking "he never tells us anything about..."

But I do. I know because I write the updates myself.

On the topic of the DC-6, though- Unlike highly automated airplanes, the DC-6 requires less update care than a jet with scads of logic driven systems. This being the case there are fewer things we need to get into and it means the updates it will receive tend to be driven by platform changes. One of the changes we are hoping for is an improvement in the Nano layer that Asobo has experimented with and briefly introduced in the test environment. It gave us FPS performance about 250% higher than the standard sim platform, but they yanked it right before the DC-6 released. It is still hovering out there on the list of things pending- and we are hoping it will eventually make it into an SU drop.

Barring that- some of the techniques we are developing to boost performance on the 737 may eventually work their way backward also- but again that is hard because the DC-6 doesn't have the sorts of logic driven systems the 737 has- so it is hard to find places to implement those functions properly.

Robert S. Randazzo
                                            PMDG Simulations
                                            http://www.pmdg.com

Comment

Omar-

One other observation specific to stuttering:

Internally at PMDG we are trying to figure out why sometimes, a perfectly smoothly running install of MSFS will suddenly turn into a laggy mess between runs, for no apparent reason. This is a problem that has been plaguing a few of us since SU9 released and it defies logic entirely.

For example: I've spent the past nine days working almost exclusively on the nosehweel steering of the 737, running consistently at 60FPS with no stutters. Last night, I closed the sim, made myself a snack, sat back down and relaunched the sim to continue my work only to find that the sim won't run beyond 30fps and it is laggy and spikes constantly.

I stress that the only thing that changed was that I ate some cheese and crackers and drank a glass of water.

Post hoc ergo propter hoc tells me that I need to blame the cow from which the cheese was made.

Since then I have been unable to do much work because the sim has turned itself into a laggy mess. Switching between airplanes doesn't seem to help much, except that moving to a non C++/wasm airplane sometimes shows improvement in FPS that masks the stutters... but they are still there. I have had this happen before- and it will suddenly clear just as magically as it appeared. No logic or reason to it.

So trust me- we certainly understand the frustration of stutters and such. I'd give my right arm for a proper set of debugging tools so that I can see what the heck the sim is doing during these stutters- but our efforts to create customized data tools to tell us what the stutters come from has proven fruitless. We continue to try.

Robert S. Randazzo
                                              PMDG Simulations
                                              http://www.pmdg.com

Comment

you're right out of nowhere it stutters, out of nowhere the panels start flashing, yesterday out of nowhere my TCA Quadrant Boeing Edition stopped working, I had to unplug the cable to recognize it again, very crazy that sim.

Comment

Well, thank you for your observations, Mr. Randazzo, but I can assert that I have no such problems at my end.
                                                  The only problem, as already stated, are the stuttering of solely the DC-6 among a half a dozen of planes, including your wonderful
                                                  Alfredo Croci

Comment

And the updates to the already great and fluid 737 keep on coming, but what about those stutters on the DC-6?
                                                    Sim update 10 maybe?
                                                    Alfredo Croci

Comment

And the updates to the already great and fluid 737 keep on coming, but what about those stutters on the DC-6?
                                                      Sim update 10 maybe?
                                                      I‘m using the SU10 beta and the stutters when lookkng around in the cockpit are significantly reduced. Not gone, it‘s not as smooth as the 737 but really much better. I hope PMDG will have another look at it once SU10 has officially been released.

edit: I use DX11 in the DC6, DX12 is really bad, not crashing anymore though.
                                                      Last edited by Ephedrin; 05Aug2022, 09:16.
                                                      Marc Eland
                                                      GFO Beta

Comment

Well, I also sincerely hope that PMDG will have another look at it once SU10 has officially been released....
                                                        As already stated, ONLY the DC-6 stutters, among a half a dozen of planes:
                                                        (Fenix A 320, not as fluid as the PMDG 737, but better than the DC-6, Carenados C337 and Mooney, MSFS Cessnas,
                                                        FBW A320 NEO, and last but not least PMDG 737 all WAY smoother than the DC-6).....
                                                        Alfredo Croci

Comment

Working...
                                                        X