Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

MSFS DC-6 LVars for use with 3rd party flight controls such as Honeycomb Bravo Throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSFS DC-6 LVars for use with 3rd party flight controls such as Honeycomb Bravo Throttle

Hi,
    I assume DC-6 for MSFS uses LVars for many of its custom switches and controls which are not accessible through MSFS Controls pages to be assigned to a physical switch or button on a yoke or throttle unit. As an example (admittedly not the best example), if I would like to assign the 'cabin heat' switch (or any other switch for that matter) in DC-6 cockpit to a physical switch on my Honeycomb Bravo Throttle:
    1. where can I find the LVar for that switch (if it is not exposed on MSFS Controls page), is there a DC-6 SDK?
    2. after I find the LVar, does PMDG dev team recommend a specific program, such as AxisAndOhs or Spad.Next to make the assignments? I'd like to make sure I buy a program that works with PMDG DC6 for MSFS.

As much as I apricate the responses from the community, it will be great to hear directly from PMDG on their recommendation on how to get this to work in the best possible supported method.

Regards,
    Jim Morrison
    Last edited by Vanzunator; 19Jun2021, 03:30.
    Jim Morrison

I would really like to get this as well. Some sort of reference sheet for the variables used would be great!
    Cheers,
    Hendrik Blok

Comment

I do NOT speak for PMDG.

I use Axis and Ohs without issue to control the DC-6 with my extensive HW (PFC Controls Console II, Boeing Pedals, VRInsight Boeing MCP II and Tiller) without issue. It uses mostly default LVars, with anything else I need HARVESTED within Axis and Ohs which reads the LVar table perfectly.

Guenseli is also using Axis and Ohs, and will soon have a module for the DC-6.

I also own FSUIPC for MSFS, however, I do not use it in this new sim.

HTC- C
      Best- Carl Avari-Cooper

Comment

can you not just have i.e. AAO read them out ? What are you using as software ?

My AAO Gauges all work. They read out LVARs. Just will have to make new ones for this plane because of four engines.

I however noticed the throttle is not working as it is supposed to with my Xbox Controller.
        I suspect PMDG might have overlooked that as they are propably not used to people using an Xbox controller for their planes.
        And I totally will use my Xbox controller for this plane.
        Throttle is the only thing so far that I noticed to not be working correctly.
        But I think that is due to PMDG not binding the buttons on the axbox controller as per MSFS default. No biggie.

Last edited by darshonaut; 19Jun2021, 13:21.
        Andreas Kleinwächter
        EDDK

Comment

Thanks for your responses. Very helpful.
          Jim Morrison

Comment

In the days that I was using the PMDG DC-6 for FSX, I made these panel screenshots. I gathered that the LVAR's could be the same in MSFS. So far they are: It took me a while and it's not complete, but for those who want to use their VRinsight or Saitek panels in combination with Spad.next, I've created screenshots of the different DC6 panels on which all useable buttons, switches etc have there variable (LVar) in yellow numbers. The syntax is "DC6_###_OBJ(LVAR) for almost all the assignments you want to make.

www.dropbox.com/s/5i78wzgl6e0oyc7/LVAR_DC-6.rar?dl=0

I'm busy today and tomorrow to implement them. Hopefully it will work as smooth as in FSX.

Peter

00.jpg
            Last edited by PUK; 20Jun2021, 17:19. Reason: This is an example and just one of the many screenshots you'll find in the rar-file

Comment

• TheFly77
              TheFly77 commented
              Editing a comment
              This looks great! Any chance you also have the gyropilot mapping?

• August78
              August78 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi could you share this in the snippits in spad?

If you read my whole message and not just the example image, you'll find a link to all the panel images!

Peter

Comment

I did, but I didn't see the gyropilot in the pictures. But never mind, with your description of the lvar format used, I managed to find them myself:

(in mobiflight events format)

DC6_AP_ON#1 (>L:dc6_434_obj)
              DC6_AP_OFF#0 (>L:dc6_434_obj)
              DC6_AP_HANDLE_ON#1 (>L:dc6_404_obj)
              DC6_AP_HANDLE_OFF#0 (>L:dc6_404_obj)
              DC6_AP_PITCH_UP#(L:dc6_440_obj, 1) ++ (>L:dc6_440_obj)
              DC6_AP_PITCH_DOWN#(L:dc6_440_obj, 1) -- (>L:dc6_440_obj)
              DC6_AP_ALT_HOLD_ON#1 (>L:dc6_436_obj)
              DC6_AP_ALT_HOLD_OFF#0 (>L:dc6_436_obj)

EDIT: ALERT: these codes are not working correctly yet. Further investigation ongoing
              Last edited by TheFly77; 20Jun2021, 21:58.
              Cheers,
              Hendrik Blok

Comment

I can't get the gyropilot PITCH UP/DOWN LVars to work (using FSUIPC). The climb/glide wheel animates when pressing the corresponding button, but the gyropilot won't pitch up/down.

On the other hand, when controlling the gyropilot wheels with mouse, it works OK and I notice that beside the gyropilot wheels, the elevator trim wheel rotates too. Any tips how to assign the gyropilot pitch up/down LVars correctly in FSUIPC?
                Petr Martin

Comment

• TheFly77
                  TheFly77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Struggling with the same issue! The code I posted above is not functioning as I expected (I assumed if the wheels where moving, it would work...). Also turning the AP on/off is not really working for me.

Edit: for AP pitch mode, setting climb rate can be done with AP_PITCH_REF_INC_UP or _DN commands through SimConnect.
                  Last edited by TheFly77; 20Jun2021, 22:28.

• Ohmsquare
                  Ohmsquare commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Perfect, thanks!

If you guys end up making something good for the DC6 and the logitech panels in spad.next, please share the snippit online in the spad client so we others can download
                Sincerely,
                Andreas Stangenes

Comment

Originally posted by August78 View Post
                  If you guys end up making something good for the DC6 and the logitech panels in spad.next, please share the snippit online in the spad client so we others can download
                  which function are you having issue with ? I am just using default simconnect and I had no issue
                  Claude Desrosiers

Comment

• TheFly77
                    TheFly77 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Do your buttons and knobs move then as well? If I use default Simconnect for AP pitch, the pitch wheel is not rotating, only the trim wheel is.

Oh and btw, Spad.next has got a really good online snippit for the gyropilot made by Woodstock327. Search for it under all devices. Tested it out just now, and it works perfectly with the logitech ap panel.
                  Sincerely,
                  Andreas Stangenes

Comment

• TheFly77
                    TheFly77 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Any chance you could post which variables are used in that script/snippet?

https://imgur.com/a/m7WEA7k
                  Sincerely,
                  Andreas Stangenes

Comment

• TheFly77
                    TheFly77 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks! That is indeed the obj I'm using as well. Does the rest of the snippit also control items like the Autopilot Handle you need to move, set the selector to Localizer or Approach, control the pitch, etc?

• August78
                    August78 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    TheFly77, yes the ap panel controls the ap engage handle (big black handle under the mixtures), the gyro pilot engage (left small flick switch) and the altitude hold (right small flick switch), and also the gyro mode selector turn knob (gyro, loc, app). I also controls the turn wheel for the VS.

Can anyone make a step by step tutorial on how to use Lorby's Axis and Ohs to assign switches for different DC-6 functions? For example, has anyone managed to open and close the cowl flaps using switches? how does the script for this command looks like?

I bought Lorby's software but i've never used scripts before and it's quite confusing. I tried to harvest the LVARS from MSFS but i get a list of all DC-6 LVARS, so i don't know which one controls what.

Right now i can't use the MSFS DC-6 because i fly without the AFE and i need all the important commands mapped to switches on my Hotas. For P3D i used Linda, but not sure what to do for MSFS.

---------------------------------------------
                  Best regards,
                  Alexandru Voicu

Comment

Also see this thread on the MSFS forum: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...ons/196415/897

The pictures for which objects to use (not complete but covers a large part of the cockpit) can be found here (see earlier post in this thread): http://www.dropbox.com/s/5i78wzgl6e0..._DC-6.rar?dl=0

EDIT: I can now confirm that the following events work correctly (the stuff for the # is what I use to execute the command after the # in Mobiflight):
                    DC6_AP_ON#43401 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)
                    DC6_AP_OFF#43401 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)
                    DC6_AP_HANDLE_ON#40401 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)
                    DC6_AP_HANDLE_OFF#40401 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)
                    DC6_AP_PITCH_UP#440 100 * 8 + (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)
                    DC6_AP_PITCH_DOWN#440 100 * 7 + (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)
                    DC6_AP_ALT_HOLD_ON#43601 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)
                    DC6_AP_ALT_HOLD_OFF#43601 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)

PLEASE NOTE: the events for other tools than Mobiflight is the bit after the #, so e.g. 43401 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) to switch the AP on.
                    Last edited by TheFly77; 22Jun2021, 14:26.
                    Cheers,
                    Hendrik Blok

Comment

How would I apply those using Axis and Oh's?

I'm normally quite intelligent but I can't get my head around this...

Jim Harris

Comment

Originally posted by Domestos View Post

Jim Harris
                        TheFly77
                        I am also interested. I am not seeing these LVARS in Axis&Oohs. I ve used the READ LVARS from SIM function.
                        Oliver Kohl
                        Oliver Kohl

Comment

• woodstock327
                          woodstock327 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'm not using this with AAO so can't answer this specifically, but ROTOR_BRAKE is not an LVAR, it's an event...

these are not LVARs but simconnect events with parameters.
                        Specifically:
                        Code:
                        calls the ROTOR_BRAKE events with parametr value 43601 which toggles the ALT_HOLD switch

the other
                        Code:
                        is a little strange to me, but the same ROTOR_BRAKE events with parameter 44001 will pitch up while 44002 wil pitch down (or the inverse do not remember)
                        Last edited by P_R_S; 22Jun2021, 00:16.
                        Riccardo Perni

Comment

Originally posted by Domestos View Post

Jim Harris
                          This is the syntax used by the custom MobiFlight WASM module to send data to the sim via SimConnect. The string before the # is just the name given to the new custom SimEvent and the string after is the data that the WASM module interprets to know exactly what to tell the sim when this custom SimEvent is received.

The string after the # is formatted in the same way the new engine interprets XML configuration files.
                          some_value (>some_variable_or_event) will send whatever some_value evaluates to to the event or variable named some_variable_or_event. some_value can either be a literal constant or a complex expression that evaluates to a single value. The other wrinkle is that the expression is evaluated using RPN (Reverse Polish Notation). If you've used a HP calculator in the past you will be quite at home.

Thus 123 (>L:some_l_var) would set the LVar some_l_var to the value 123
                          and 440 100 * 7 + (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) would send the value "440 x 100 + 7" to the SimEvent ROTOR_BRAKE. (* denotes the multiply operator). In HP RPN speak "440 100 * 7 +" translates to "440 enter, 100 multiply, 7 +"

Steve Chuft

P.S. If you want to play around with a classic HP calculator go here https://hp15c.com/
                          Last edited by Elephant42; 22Jun2021, 00:53.

Comment

Yes, I know RPN, what I do not understand is why to send "440 *100 +7" and not "44007" and why 7 is added. If you monitor the ROTOR_BRAKE events while moving the pitch wheel on the gyropilot the two parameter sent are 44001 and 44002... ????
                            Riccardo Perni

Comment

• Ephedrin
                              Ephedrin commented
                              Editing a comment
                              44001 works well in AAO but 440 100* 1+ does too.

It is indeed the Mobiflight notation. For other tools, you only need the bit after the #.

Regarding the notation: I kept it this way to keep it clear how it works. E.g. for obj 440 (the gyropilot pitch wheel), the right code can be found by multiplying the object nr by 100 and then adding the mouse action (1 = left click, 2 = right click, 7 = scroll up, 8 = scroll down, etc).

So 440 100 * + 7 means: perform action mouse scroll up on item 440.

Using parameters 44001/44002 might also work, but I think it depends on the mouse mode you use (PMDG (left/right click) or MSFS (scroll up/down)).
                            Last edited by TheFly77; 22Jun2021, 13:54.
                            Cheers,
                            Hendrik Blok

Comment

Has anyone been able to control the ADF buttons with the LVARs yet ?

I'm trying to control the ADF from the Saitek Radio panel using Spad but I haven't been able to work out how to control any of the buttons on the panel using either the LVARs direct or the ROTOR_BRAKE-event (ended up creating some code to manually swap standby and active frequency values just to get the panel to a usable state).
                              Paul Browning
                              The wages of sin are death. But the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Comment

• TheFly77
                                TheFly77 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I haven't tested the ADF yet, but I was struggling with the NAV2 radio (using dc6_170_ob and 171) until I tested the default SimConnect NAV2 functions which worked out of the box. Sometimes things are more easy than you expect :-)

Did you try the standard SimConnect events already?

• Matchstick
                                Matchstick commented
                                Editing a comment
                                ​My radio panel is set to use the standard Simconnect Events by default but unfortunately the ADF doesn't look to be wired up to those in the normal way.

It's working at the moment so while it could be a lot neater and simpler it's doing the job so that's what counts ​

So - I just tried one of my lua scripts that does a pre-flight flow. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to work as it did before - things appear to be controlled differently..

Mr. James Alexander.

Comment

I am also having issues configuring the ADF2 in my Logitech Radio Panel using Spad.Next. Most of the simconnect variables work, but not for the ADF2 and ADF frequency swap.
                                Thiago Braun - MSFS

Comment

Hi all
                                  I hope someone can help me with writing a script on axis and ohs. I am blocking figuring it out.
                                  For example, for the landing lights there are 2 variable to get them on and off
                                  To be on
                                  dc6_121_0_ob should be 0
                                  dc6_121_1_obj should be 1
                                  and visa versa for off, and its the same for everything, now when i try to implement it in a script it doesnt work for me, i dont know what exactly i should write between them
                                  i tried like this
                                  1(>L:dc6_121_0_obj,·Bool)·1(>L:dc6_121_1_obj,·Bool )
                                  but and many other ways but no luck, i am new to axis and ohs so i dont have that experience with it.
                                  Hopefully someone can help me
                                  Thank you
                                  Last edited by Muha93; 25Jun2021, 14:10.
                                  Muha George

Comment

Originally posted by Muha93 View Post
                                    Hi all
                                    I hope someone can help me with writing a script on axis and ohs. I am blocking figuring it out.
                                    For example, for the landing lights there are 2 variable to get them on and off
                                    To be on
                                    dc6_121_0_ob should be 0
                                    dc6_121_1_obj should be 1
                                    and visa versa for off, and its the same for everything, now when i try to implement it in a script it doesnt work for me, i dont know what exactly i should write between them
                                    i tried like this
                                    1(>L:dc6_121_0_obj,·Bool)·1(>L:dc6_121_1_obj,·Bool )
                                    but and many other ways but no luck, i am new to axis and ohs so i dont have that experience with it.
                                    Hopefully someone can help me
                                    Thank you
                                    You probably have found the answer by now but .... Spaces are required between a parameter and the parenthesis. So :

1·(>L:dc6_121_0_obj,·Bool)·1·(>L:dc6_121_1_obj,·Bo ol)

My turn to ask questions : has anyone managed to control the AFE ? I know how to make every AFE switch move, for example
                                    (L:AfeInrange,·bool) ·!·(>L:AfeInrange,·bool)
                                    but Jim refuses to do anything ...

Edit : never mind ! I've found my mistake, Jim is now walking in line. 😆
                                    Last edited by Haddock31; 17Jul2021, 17:25.
                                    Christophe Arribat a.k.a. Haddock31
                                    - Honeycomb Alpha, X-Touch mini, Saitek Quadrant x2, Reverb G2

Comment

• mats0916
                                      mats0916 commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Jim detests variables...

Hello Hendrik,

How is the below entered into MobiFlight? I've been trying, but no success.

I have Arduino Mega card and would like to build an A12 Gyropilot control box.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ed

EDIT: I can now confirm that the following events work correctly (the stuff for the # is what I use to execute the command after the # in Mobiflight):
                                    DC6_AP_ON#43401 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)
                                    DC6_AP_OFF#43401 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)
                                    DC6_AP_HANDLE_ON#40401 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)
                                    DC6_AP_HANDLE_OFF#40401 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)
                                    DC6_AP_PITCH_UP#440 100 * 8 + (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)
                                    DC6_AP_ALT_HOLD_OFF#43601 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE)

PLEASE NOTE: the events for other tools than Mobiflight is the bit after the #, so e.g. 43401 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) to switch the AP on.
                                    Ed Grabel

Comment

Originally posted by PUK View Post
                                      In the days that I was using the PMDG DC-6 for FSX, I made these panel screenshots. I gathered that the LVAR's could be the same in MSFS. So far they are: It took me a while and it's not complete, but for those who want to use their VRinsight or Saitek panels in combination with Spad.next, I've created screenshots of the different DC6 panels on which all useable buttons, switches etc have there variable (LVar) in yellow numbers. The syntax is "DC6_###_OBJ(LVAR) for almost all the assignments you want to make.

www.dropbox.com/s/5i78wzgl6e0oyc7/LVAR_DC-6.rar?dl=0

I'm busy today and tomorrow to implement them. Hopefully it will work as smooth as in FSX.

Peter
                                      Great work. Do you plan on adding the lower pedestal?

To all. Am I safe to assume that the (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) method was used to send commands through SimConnect Key Events vs using LVARS? Since ROTOR_BRAKE is/was a helicopter specific event.
                                      Last edited by drake_w; 21Oct2021, 16:26.
                                      Drake Waterhouse

MSFS, Pilot2ATC, Navigraph, Volanta
                                      PMDG: DC-6, 737 *Launch Date Purchase
                                      R5 3600X, RTX2060S, 32GB, NVMe

Comment

Originally posted by drake_w View Post

To all. Am I safe to assume that the (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE) method was used to send commands through SimConnect Key Events vs using LVARS? Since ROTOR_BRAKE is/was a helicopter specific event.
                                        Rotor_Brake is commonly used to mimic pointing device (mouse, trackball, etc) actions. In many instances, it's use is the only way to effect an action because the LVar may only act on the animation of the switch or lever and not effect the underlying code. Many of the Sperry A-12 controls are like this because this autopilot doesn't fit the model for modern autopilots.

Dan Downs KCRP
                                        i7-10700K 32GB 3600MHz 2080Ti

Comment

Working...
                                        X