Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

** DC-6 Hype Thread **

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

** DC-6 Hype Thread **

So with the recent sneak peek of (apparently) an MSFS DC-6 and the alluded to P3D v5 with PBR and other goodies update, I thought I'd start a hype thread for all us prop-liner, piston-head, vintage fanatics to gather and get ourselves overly excited for these gems of virtual flight. Let's hope they aren't too far away!

Another month or so to go! Lots of information and a YouTube channel with a dozen videos dedicated solely to the Cloudmaster here: .http://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-for...ight-simulator

12.jpg

So let's hear it!
    • What's your first flight in these refreshed radials?
    • What's your favorite livery?
    • Any on your wishlist that Mickel can conjure up from the nostalgia tinged past?
    • Do you love the sound of those starters groaning?!
    Last edited by mglan80; 23May2021, 00:55.
    Matthew Glanden

As it happens... hot on the heals from my brief T7 diversion, I've started my next '60s livery. I want to get PBR on the Panagra livery (which I have never actually flown 'in service') and fix up the Alitalia ones to get that nose better.

(and you need to drag that other pic into your post. )
    Last edited by Mickel; 03Apr2021, 12:20.
    Mike Dryden
    GFO Janitor
    Retrieving lost & abandoned airframes

Comment

• mglan80
      mglan80 commented
      Editing a comment
      Very cool. I love your work. I haven't flown Panagra either. I just started a journey into S. American in the N6518C. So glad to have talented people like yourself share your work with all us regulars!

Oooo I did forget that one. That’s the one that started it all!

I’d love to see the Alitalia in PBR. It’s my favorite. Love the lines on it. Such a classic design.
    Last edited by mglan80; 03Apr2021, 20:58.
    Matthew Glanden

Comment

Me and a buddy are doing an around the world with the L-049 and DC-6B. We're currently in Honolulu. The next leg is a stretch all the way to San Francisco. As N6518C would not have had 5512 USG tanks, I modified N6518C to be N6105C. That one would have had the 5512 USG option I believe. Otherwise 20000 lbs of fuel would not have been legally sufficient. I think as soon as this is released we'll be back at it with some Pacific hops. Assuming we finish the tour before release. No GPS at all. Just VOR's, NDB's and Sextants. The most satisfying type of flying there is.
      Last edited by MD82; 05Apr2021, 14:00.
      First Officer Boeing 777 - Xander Koote

Comment

• mglan80
        mglan80 commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice, Xander. I've done an around the world with the A2A Constellation. I have to admit, I had a real twinge of emotion when I set down in Canberra on the final leg. Extremely satisfying.

The Honolulu-San Francisco leg was a long flight. The Connie is quite a bit slower than the DC-6 and on the Pacific legs it was a slog. I had to use Little Nav Map on those legs, though. I would have lost the course when interrupted by the kids! Very impressed you've both done it purely with period era nav aids.

Sextant Travel.png
      Shown here was out flight between Wake and Honolulu. We made a sheet which we can use to fill out information about our shots. Shown here is our first stellar shot. The coordinates are seen on the instrument, the list of celestial bodies and the sheet. Based on my flight track, 2 stars were chosen. Alphecca and Gacrux. As Gacrux is the less time sensitive track line shot, it was shot last. It's position information still displayed in the instrument. Based on those 2 shots we read off our approximate position, and noted then applied any route corrections. When we were back in VOR range at 195 miles away from South Kauai the needle was 2.5 dots off. Pretty damn accurate !!!

p.s. On this leg I was manhandling the Connie as well ;-)

Comment

• MD82
        MD82 commented
        Editing a comment
        :-) :-) :-)

• Major Chris
        Major Chris commented
        Editing a comment
        Hats off to you for embracing celestial navigation!!!! I still have the sextant that was issued to me for the last SAC bombing and navigation competition I was in. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone. It isn't dead in the USAF, it is still used, just with an automated system on some aircraft. The B-2 has an astro inertial system that automatically tracks celestial bodies and RC-135s have a stellar inertial reference system that does the same thing. The are extremely accurate because it is a constant track of multiple celestial bodies and not a 2 minute average by a tired guy standing on a sextant stool in a bouncing cockpit manually tracking a single body trying to keep the body centered in the bubble.

Cheers, Chris Hague KSYR

• MD82
        MD82 commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool Chris !!! I never knew this. The great thing is that that old guy tells the best stories at the bar while that PFM-Box doesn't do sh*t after the flight LOL.

Personally i do not care much about PBR stuff, but way more about improved engines start up procedure, deeper combustion engine simulation, plane inertia model ( as with recently updated jets ), windshield effects, improved prop animation, richer engines sound - that is all i want :-)
      Last edited by Artur; 11Apr2021, 16:21.
      Artur Pomajda

Comment

• Mickel
        Mickel commented
        Editing a comment
        I have to admit, I tend to leave my window open when it’s hot, and yes... it would be nice to have a change in sound when I do that.

The other thing I’d like to get is more definitive landing feedback. I crunched one last night, rather inelegantly. On the jets, you KNOW when you’ve done that.

• mglan80
        mglan80 commented
        Editing a comment
        Can’t agree more on the sound bit. The end of the droning sound file when it loops back is abrupt. Some variation of start up would be nice too. A2A does that very well.

Both of you basically repeat my feelings about it. Eye candy is nice, only after the above mentioned. I think they will pull through though. The props are a labor of love. And the base it serves are VERY particular. Otherwise they wouldn't have picked up and flown the DC-6. So PMDG have their work cut out for them. But I'm sure it will phenomenal.

Comment

I really thought the PBR was kind of a gimmick, but it really does add depth and weight to the models. It’s so missing in non PBR models like 777 until just recently.
        Matthew Glanden

Comment

Flew the PH-DFI Flying Dutchman from EHAM to LGAV on this beautiful week off of work. Such a great plane and an immersive pile of code and polys in the sim. Worth every penny. Really looking forward to the enhancements coming. So many polished metal liveries for that PBR shine!
          Matthew Glanden

Comment

Not going to lie - I check this forum every couple days in anticipation of news. Even though I know it is potentially 6 or more months away, I can't help myself.

Absolutely adore the DC-6 and was so disappointed to learn that the PMDG rendition doesn't get along with X-Plane 11. Ive been dying for a propliner ever since I picked up 11 on release. Seeing the news that it is coming to MSFS is definitely the best sim-related news I've heard in years.

Now we play the waiting game... I'll check back in a couple of days!
            Last edited by Winterino; 12May2021, 21:48.
            Jamie Osborne

Comment

Hello captains

The DC-6 is the plane I fly the most. Even got a real checklist from Everts Air which they use today!

I would love to do the 1953 London - Christchurch race in the KLM DC-6A PH-TGA.

1953_2_ DOUGLAS DC6-A LIFTMASTER_CHRISTCHURCH RACE_PH-TGA.jpg

Favorite Airline? Everts Air Cargo. Simpley because they fly the 6 still today across Alaska!

And the larger Fuel Capacity is one for the list!

regards Ronald

Comment

New dc6 pic...not on final unfortunately

https://m.facebook.com/pmdgsimulatio...9448985761520/
                Luca Benelli
                EDDK

Comment

Originally posted by Fozzy View Post
                  New dc6 pic...not on final unfortunately

https://m.facebook.com/pmdgsimulatio...9448985761520/
                  But cruising along nicely.

Is that MSFS?

Alan Ampolsk

"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Comment

• Ephedrin
                    Ephedrin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It is...........

Ah Facebook... what did Obi Wan say about Mos Eisley? Sounds similar.
                  Mike Dryden
                  GFO Janitor

Comment

• Ephedrin
                    Ephedrin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    LOL so true...

I just watched the DC6 startup video posted on May 22 (Today?), and I LOVE them making these vids!! BUT, I also scrolled down to see the details and I spotted a release in June?
                  I wonder if this is actually accurate? Thats just a couple of weeks away!!
                  DC6.jpg
                  Rob Comfort

EVGA Z390 Dark ; i9 9900k ; 32gig Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 ; EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra ; Creative Audigy Rx ; Windows 10 Pro ; LG 2560x1080 Ultrawide

Comment

• mglan80
                    mglan80 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, sir! Getting close! Great surprise it’s that close.

In the introduction and welcome video they explicitly SAY it relaeses in June... so between 1 and 5 weeks.. ok let's make it 3 to 7 for safety
                  Luca Benelli
                  EDDK

Comment

Luca,

I would say 2-3 is more likely.

Robert S. Randazzo
                    PMDG Simulations
                    http://www.pmdg.com

Comment

• Fozzy
                      Fozzy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I can't but love this info, I just wanted to keep on the safe side and it will be a happy birthday to me

Robert: You are a very bad man. I like airliners (who'da thunk it with me on the PMDG forum?!?), but I've never had a chance at the propeller-driven beasts of the '50s. Now I'll have to get the DC-6. Sigh. Life is so demanding🤨. Thankfully, the 700 series Boeings are going to take a few months. I've used the 737 600+ and the 777s so I'm looking forward to them in MSFS2020. I never found a good 757, and the 767 doesn't have a sim home. We need the the 747 and 787 from PMDG. I know, I know, you can't fly them all with any kind of proficiency, but one can hope ...
                    Regards,
                    Kevin Cusack

Comment

how do you sign the message when replying?
                      Regards,
                      Kevin Cusack

Comment

• rsrandazzo
                        rsrandazzo commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Kevin- Seems you sorted it out? If not, shout. we'll help you. - RSR

What an amazing aircraft to launch as the first PMDG contribution to MSFS. Slight concern over the price but, who am I kidding, I'll be buying it anyway. I have too much of a track record in taking two weeks to actually lift wheels and enjoying every second of it. No doubt this will be the same.
                      Simon Justice

Comment

Oh now I’m torn... I figured I’d have a bunch more months on P3D before our hosts or A2A made a move. And now it’s a few weeks... Not sure what I’m going to do about drive space. Also looks like I’m going to have to learn to paint all over again, after having only just started getting the hang of it. Oh well... Bring it on.

Mike Dryden
                        GFO Janitor

Comment

I have also watched the videos and the DC-6 will be a very nice challenge with a, hopefully, very deep simulation as RSR describes it.

One thing that I ask myself: the engineer does control the engines and during this time they are blocked for manual operation. So far so good.

But what if I turn him off and use the throttles and props manually? 99,9999% of the time physical controls will not match the ones in the sim. And as RSR said: no rapid movements! So what to do if I do not want to rip my engines clean of the wing?

On the modern Boeing jets what I do is to have the physical trottle indicator active and to match it before I kick off the AT. I think a similar feature with an extra, temporary needle on the manifold pressure and prop speed gauges would be the solution.

Or did the devs come up with a different solution to this?
                          [email protected] Pletsch

Postnigs with typnig errors since 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_X View Post
                            You are way over-thinking this, and making yourself paranoid. You're not going to kill the engines by looking at them funny. You silly jet boys love to convince yourselves that's the case.
                            Robert Toten

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_X View Post
                              I have also watched the videos and the DC-6 will be a very nice challenge with a, hopefully, very deep simulation as RSR describes it.

One thing that I ask myself: the engineer does control the engines and during this time they are blocked for manual operation. So far so good.

But what if I turn him off and use the throttles and props manually? 99,9999% of the time physical controls will not match the ones in the sim. And as RSR said: no rapid movements! So what to do if I do not want to rip my engines clean of the wing?

On the modern Boeing jets what I do is to have the physical trottle indicator active and to match it before I kick off the AT. I think a similar feature with an extra, temporary needle on the manifold pressure and prop speed gauges would be the solution.

Currently there is no solution for this and will work as you described, but this indeed will not kill the engines. After some flying you get used to where the physical throttles need to be when you remove the AFE.

Will discuss with the team about this though to see if there is anything that can be done
                              Chris Makris (Olympic260)
                              PMDG Technical Support
                              http://www.pmdg.com

Comment

• Mad_X
                                Mad_X commented
                                Editing a comment
                                That would be great asylum already haven’t solution on the p3d side of things.

Originally posted by randomTOTEN View Post
                              You are way over-thinking this, and making yourself paranoid. You're not going to kill the engines by looking at them funny. You silly jet boys love to convince yourselves that's the case.
                              I am not silly. I know you mean I comically an du can take it but it is hard on the line.
                              In fact i don’t need engines at all, at least that is what I teach my students 😁
                              [email protected] Pletsch

Postnigs with typnig errors since 1984

Comment

• Ephedrin
                                Ephedrin commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Haha engines are a luxury for those who have a bad glide number.

Originally posted by randomTOTEN View Post
                              That has actually nothing to do with overthinking or silly jet boys.. rapidly moving the throttles will change the fuel flow exessively. Cutting them will make them run dry or emptying the carbs but flooding them will make them backfire which CAN hurt the engines. Silly jet boys wouldn’t care at all as the EEC or FADEC would manage it. For radials a smooth change would be better but as Chris says, it‘s apparently not possible atm so for now all we can do is to assume the throttle position as good as possible.
                              i7-6700k, GTX 1080TI, 32GB DDR4 RAM @2666MHz, 4k
                              Marc Ehnle

Comment

Originally posted by Ephedrin View Post
                                That has actually nothing to do with overthinking or silly jet boys..
                                Another one? Okay, lets talk about it.

rapidly moving the throttles will change the fuel flow exessively.
                                It will also proportionally change the air flow excessively. Who cares. Air and fuel don't damage engines. Stress, heat, and friction do. The idea of "doing things slowly" is to manage these wear factors.

Cutting them will make them run dry or emptying the carbs but flooding them will make them backfire which CAN hurt the engines.
                                This sentence is a little hard to follow, but I think I get the idea what you're trying to get at. No, cutting throttles doesn't make them "run dry", it makes them run wet (if you're talking about fuel). That's where the afterfire comes from. But the OP who's just turned his AFE off likely wants the engines to be in the condition in which the Engineer left them, not the random position of his desk hardware. So, the immediate response is going to be to about a second of moving the Props and Throttles to stop the sudden changes the engines are making, which will cease the hard inputs which have just been made on the engines before a chance for damage likely occurs (stress and heat builds, oil ceases lubricating surfaces etc...). It's a little awkward for sure, but if you don't allow the damaging stress, heat, or lack of lubrication to develop, the engines are going to happily endure the very momentary transient conditions. You could have a point about the afterfire issue, but suddenly seeing the MAP/BMEP collapse after switching off the AFE is going to prompt you to advance the throttles, allowing more air through the engine again. It's arguable if there would even be a afterfire in this case, but I do concede it is possible (I had occasional afterfires with a glitchy throttle quadrant with another developers aircraft, but as the condition was transient I never really considered it major issue).

Suppose the opposite case is true, and the throttles jump to full open. MAP/FF spikes and the engines start developing damaging heat and stress. But the user doesn't want full open throttle, and will immediately start constraining MAP/FF. For the one second the transient exists the MAP/BMEP probably isn't going to exceed limits, or even reach them.

The propellers can't instantly change blade angles thus RPM, and again even if the METO/MCP limit is exceeded, it will probably be for an incredibly short amount of time while the user corrects.

As Chris mentioned, with some experience the user will have their hardware approximately set, and these transient issues will just be eliminated, leaving only the awkward process of juggling levers after turning the AFE off. I wouldn't know, I don't fly with the AFE, but I know in Microsoft sims a lever position only changes when your computer receives a movement input from your hardware.

Silly jet boys wouldn’t care at all as the EEC or FADEC would manage it.
                                You can rip all those computers out and it's basically the same situation. I can't cook the turbine blades and strators if I immediately constrain the fuel flow by retarding the thrust lever after a transient to full forward. Hopefully I did it before enough fuel passes through the nozzles to spike the TIT/ITT/EGT before things get really expensive. Would be nice to have a computer to help with that, but not having one doesn't automatically make turbine engine management impossible.
                                Lots of us silly jet boys be flying around with no EEC or FADEC to babysit us. Be smooth with the controls. Things don't happen fast. But at the same time, a snap of the throttle isn't going to melt the hot section (but it might).

For radials a smooth change would be better but as Chris says, it‘s apparently not possible atm so for now all we can do is to assume the throttle position as good as possible.
                                Or correct for engine performance deviations before they have a chance to actually cause damage. Which he correctly mentions is not going to put you at risk of destroying the engines.

There's more subtlety than just, *fast moving levers=fail*

And the "silly jet boys" comment is of course a tongue in cheek (and I was one too). I apologize if it's not as light-hearted as I intend it.
                                Robert Toten

Comment

• Ephedrin
                                  Ephedrin commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Robert, don‘t worry about it, I‘m not used to certain english expressions and naturally can‘t read a special tone in it. But I‘m learning I don‘t take anything personally and if I sound harsh I can take it back too ^^ But I like discussions, if you do them open-minded you often learn something from them.

RSR posted the descent tutorial video 2 hours ago... Next one probably landing? The new indicator on how far we progress towards a release?
                                i7-6700k, GTX 1080TI, 32GB DDR4 RAM @2666MHz, 4k
                                Marc Ehnle

Comment

• tsampaio
                                  tsampaio commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Yeah, when i saw that descend video i immediatelly though the same "soon it will land on PMDG store..." :P
                                  Tercio Sampaio

Originally posted by Ephedrin View Post
                                RSR posted the descent tutorial video 2 hours ago... Next one probably landing? The new indicator on how far we progress towards a release?
                                That's unless he posts a "go around" video next 😂
                                [email protected]_N [email protected]_M_0_S

Comment

• Ephedrin
                                  Ephedrin commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  eventually he'll run out of fuel lol

just a question in anticipation: have you changed the layout of the textures wrt the P3D version?
                                I'm still wondering whether I'll paint TAA or TEAL first...

Comment

• Mickel
                                  Mickel commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I (like you, I suspect) really hope not!
                              Working...
                              X