Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

777 remaining fuel on board and alternate fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

777 remaining fuel on board and alternate fuel

Good Afternoon

I was wondering if someone out there could help me with a couple of questions. Since the manuals are no longer included, i am having a hard time finding this information

what is the remaining fuel you should have on board when you park at the gate at the end of a trip

how do i calculate alternate fuel for both domestic and international flights

thanks everyone for your help with this

13ifs40
    Ian F Snow Professional Gambler, Airplane spotter and part time simmer

Hello Ian I don't think the FCOM will tell you your fuel remaining

There is plenty of material in the public domain and on here some rather long threads on the legal requirements, should be easy to find with a search

Adrian Howe

Comment

Basically make sure you have enough fuel to fly to your destination, to fly to your most distant alternate, and an additional 10% of your flight time in fuel (2 hours would be 12 extra minutes of fuel, or 45 mins extra depending on which regulations you use). You can look up fuel requirements but in the real 777-200ER, if I were to divert I’d never want to land with less than 10,000-12,000lbs of fuel.

Normally we land with much more depending on our planned alternate and fuel regulations. Sometimes around 35,000-40,000lbs!
      Regards,

Aaron Zylman

Comment

WOW thanks Aaron good to hear from a real pilot

13ifs40

Comment

• vadriver
          vadriver commented
          Editing a comment
          ian

what flight dispatch planner are you using to calculate fuel for planned, alternates, holding, tankering etc.

from that you can calculate reserves/remaining required for the forecast evolving phases / scenarios.

I recommend PFPX.
        Regards,

Aaron Zylman

Comment

Originally posted by 13ifs40 View Post
          Good Afternoon

I was wondering if someone out there could help me with a couple of questions. Since the manuals are no longer included, i am having a hard time finding this information

what is the remaining fuel you should have on board when you park at the gate at the end of a trip

how do i calculate alternate fuel for both domestic and international flights

thanks everyone for your help with this

13ifs40
          Ian,

The minimum fuel you should land with is the fuel required to reach your alternative airport plus holding fuel for 30 minutes (EASA) or 45 minutes (FAA). This is the value you should enter as Reserve Fuel in the FMC. If you aren't able to touch down with reserve fuel remaining you must divert.

Clearly if you've planned the flight properly you will actually land with a lot more fuel than this as Aaron described. What you end up with at the gate will be a little less of course.

I use Simbrief for flight planning. It's free, very user friendly and is reasonably accurate. Less good for ETOPS planning. It will calculate ETOPS fuel and en route alternates but does not currently support redispatch. If you are interested in the full flight planning process and want airline levels of accuracy in terms of fuel burn PFPX is well recommended.
          Last edited by Kevin Hall; 01Dec2022, 13:29.

Comment

HI all well currently i am in crunch time at work and will not fly at all until around jan 6th, but prior to that i tried to use simbrief but i find there over ocean trips to be a bit off to say the least

a bunch of folks mention PFPX but i have not had the time to do a complete research into it yet

So i was just getting the route from flightaware if it was USA to foreign or when it was foreign to USA i would make my own route using skyvector then i would fill in the fuel and make sure i would at least land with 15 + thousand pounds or more in the tank. I have heard from alot of folks on various forums that you can find FCOM or FCTM online but i am real skittish about what i download off the net since i just got a brand new computer and don't want to damage or destroy it downloading something

thanks again folks for the help

13ifs40

Comment

Originally posted by 13ifs40 View Post
              HI all well currently i am in crunch time at work and will not fly at all until around jan 6th, but prior to that i tried to use simbrief but i find there over ocean trips to be a bit off to say the least

a bunch of folks mention PFPX but i have not had the time to do a complete research into it yet

So i was just getting the route from flightaware if it was USA to foreign or when it was foreign to USA i would make my own route using skyvector then i would fill in the fuel and make sure i would at least land with 15 + thousand pounds or more in the tank. I have heard from alot of folks on various forums that you can find FCOM or FCTM online but i am real skittish about what i download off the net since i just got a brand new computer and don't want to damage or destroy it downloading something

thanks again folks for the help

13ifs40
              You are missing the key point everyone has explained. There is no one correct amount of remaining fuel. Simbrief will do international routes just fine for a beginner but you got to be using the correct aircraft profile. It's fine to plan a route with skyvector (I do that often) and then plug that route into Simbrief. Your fuel remaining will be, assuming international US flag rules, the amount of fuel required to fly from the destination to an alternate PLUS at least 30 minutes of contingency. Alternate plus 30 minutes. Whatever that is. It is realistic to have more because your block fuel (the amount of fuel you put in the tanks at the origin) will include taxi fuel, trip fuel, alternate fuel, 30 minutes fuel and at least 10% of the trip fuel; therefore, when you land you will also have the amount of that 10% that you didn't have to burn to get there.

Stop looking for the one correct amount and start planning your route.

PFPX is much more powerful than Simbrief but it is complicated. I suggest you stick to Simbrief until you get some time in your logbook.
              Dan Downs KCRP
              i7-10700K 32GB 3600MHz 3080Ti

Comment

Working...
              X