Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

Landing and Taxi lights way to dim

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landing and Taxi lights way to dim

Similar to this topic for the 747 I have the issue that the landing and taxi lights are way to dark on the surface. This is with the full christmas tree lid up:

I have NO shader mods. P3D 5.1 with next to default setting foe HDR.ö
    2020-11-19_0-45-21-69.jpg

For comparison the Leonardo MD80 which produces a much more realistic result:
    Taxi light (dim) only
    2020-11-19_0-51-33-42.jpg

Taxi (bright) + Landing lights
    2020-11-19_0-51-43-818.jpg
    Last edited by Mad_X; 18Nov2020, 23:54.
    [email protected] Pletsch

Postnigs with typnig errors since 1984

Matthias,

I believe they said it‘s a known issue due to the (constantly) changing lighting of P3D in every new version. It will be fixed eventually but to make sure you can always submit a ticket. After all this is mainly a user forum and we can‘t do anything except agree or disagree ^^ I‘m using the 737 in 5.0 and it works well there so the latest update must have changed it.

btw: I wasn‘t aware the Maddog was compatible with 5.1?
    Last edited by Ephedrin; 19Nov2020, 00:05.
    i7-6700k, GTX 1080TI, 32GB DDR4 RAM @2666MHz, 4k
    Marc Ehnle

Comment

Originally posted by Ephedrin View Post
      Matthias,

I believe they said it‘s a known issue due to the (constantly) changing lighting of P3D in every new version. It will be fixed eventually but to make sure you can always submit a ticket. After all this is mainly a user forum and we can‘t do anything except agree or disagree ^^ I‘m using the 737 in 5.0 and it works well there so the latest update must have changed it.

It is if you are on the beta team
      Duarte Vieira

Comment

Originally posted by Vieira12 View Post

It is if you are on the beta team
        Yes if I remember correctly they have a closed beta and an open beta... and as I don‘t see the installer in their forum I suppose it‘s still closed? So there‘s probably an NDA.. and then I would think twice before I post screenshots in another developer‘s forum. Breaking NDA‘s is no fun.
        Marc Ehnle

Comment

Yes if I remember correctly they have a closed beta and an open beta... and as I don‘t see the installer in their forum I suppose it‘s still closed? So there‘s probably an NDA.. and then I would think twice before I post screenshots in another developer‘s forum. Breaking NDA‘s is no fun.
          Yes it’s still closed
          Duarte Vieira

Comment

Yes it’s still closed
            The nda has been lifted for this particular update ages ago there’s loads of shots on their Facebook group
            Duarte Vieira

Comment

The nda has been lifted for this particular update ages ago there’s loads of shots on their Facebook group
              Ah good to know, thanks. I‘m not active in their forum, just love the plane
              Marc Ehnle

Comment

Wrong forum here but it is now compatible .

Anyway, back to the NGXu:olympic260
                We had this very good conversation via the support ticket and I fully understand that you want to have a stable plattform to work on, but can’t you make the landing, taxi and runway turnoff lights just brighter for the time being? Because we need usable lights and I take usable, unrealistic lights over unusable, unrealistic lights anytime.
                Please, just increase the value of these DL and you can tweak it later. Currently it is impossible to taxi the plane at night (with or without EA enabled).
                Thanks a lot .

Comment

The way dynamic lighting works is that the PMDG model emits light and it is the scenery surface textures that reflect the light back to you. The lights are working fine, it is the scenery that is not compatible with dynamic lighting. This is usually most severe with macadam dark surfaces, which should reflect light but in typical scenery all you see is black.

The only work around is to go back to texture-based lighting, and I don't think this will happen. Some developers mix a blend of texture lighting with DL but it is really up to scenery developers to resolve the issue.
                  Dan Downs KCRP
                  i7-10700K 32GB 3600MHz 2080Ti

Comment

So the question remains. Why has Leonardo accomplished this but not PMDG?
                    Victor Green

Comment

• DDowns
                      DDowns commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I assume they are using texture lighting.

• Mad_X
                      Mad_X commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No, they are full DL.

This discussion and the attempts to avoid it are completely unnecessary as the plane in its current state does need a sticker in the cockpit: daytime operations only. The lighting is not suitable and has to be fixed with the necessary priority. And if this then has to be changed again, so it be.

Finally a plane that can only be used with certain sceneries is also not acceptable. Unfortunately, it is becoming a trend in this industry, to blame other developers in order to avoid efforts to satisfactory resolve an issue.

Black surfaces because of PBR are one thing (also not acceptable for the price as other did manage it), they do not render the plane unusable in certain situations but non-working night lighting is.

Comment

• DDowns
                      DDowns commented
                      Editing a comment
                      This has nothing to do with PBR. Even a non-PBR airport surface will work just fine if the scenery developer creates the correct surface textures, and doesn't diminish any light reflections with opaque layers.

• Mad_X
                      Mad_X commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Where did I make a reference to PBR of an airport? Btw the pictures were from a non- PBR airport.
                      I was referring to the broken PBR on the metal surfaces of the plane.

I could imagine that Leonardo somehow "read" the current surface and change the light they emit accordingly. If that is even possible, I have no idea. FSL for example have a surface friction file where, depending on the material the Airbus taxis on, the wheel friction will change.I think this topic is indeed worth a (friendly!!) ticket with a suggestion.

There is no point however in pointing out what others have done. They often lack other things or depending on the aircraft type simply don't have to dig as deep as others. This is PMDG, not anyone else and if we would like PMDG to do something we need to ask them. =)
                    Marc Ehnle

Comment

• Mad_X
                      Mad_X commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Correct, something has to be done here. I don’t need perfection in the currently changing environment but usability for this important component.

And I did open a friendly ticket, as said above, but was turned down because: EA is to blame (despite not active) and LM is changing the lighting (understandable but as said, we have the choice between leaving it as it is or at least make a make shift change to brighten the things up to make them usable, both not realistic but one is definitely preferable to the other).

But it comes down to what this is: a business relationship (money vs. working product) and I made a point, strongly but not insulting anybody or a being mean in any way.
                      Last edited by Mad_X; 20Nov2020, 23:26.

• DDowns
                      DDowns commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Feature request belong on support tickets. This being a user to user forum is a good place to knock around ideas but it is not a place to ask for features. Let them know that you want to restore texture-based lighting on a ticket.

Originally posted by Lanica View Post
                    So the question remains. Why has Leonardo accomplished this but not PMDG?
                    the simple answer is that it needs adjusting by pmdg it’s simple as all the others use dl example fs labs captain sim and they are all ok and it’s not the scenery’s that are causing the issues some scenery’s make it darker but not that dark and like mad x said they use full dynamic lights

Duarte Vieira

Comment

Reminds me of some other developers, big and small, blaming each other or the platform when clearly others are capable of avoiding the same issue. My personal gripe is with LatinVFR blaming LM for the issue that only at one of their airports you smash on the runway during landing when you're about 200 feet above it and you hit bumps during taxi and it feels like you're climbing stairs with the plane. Doesn't happen with the default airport, just with their add-on, but it's LMs' fault.

Like Mad_X said it's becoming a trend in the industry indeed. I'm confident PMDG will eventually provide a remedy, the wheels just turn a little slower as I'm sure the project pipe is packed.
                      Tom Masino

Comment

I'm glad I saw this. I thought there was an issue with my sim and the lighting. It still never ceases to amaze me how developers are still blaming each other 20 years down the line.

Comment

Educated myself on the P3D SDK and changed the lights myself. The changes took me literally about 4 min. They are not perfect but at least I can see were I am going. You are welcome.

Btw: Same airport as above. MK Studio LIRF.

Taxi light:

2020-11-23_22-28-54-239.jpg

Landing Lights
                          2020-11-23_22-28-59-171.jpg
                          Last edited by Mad_X; 23Nov2020, 21:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_X View Post
                            Educated myself on the P3D SDK and changed the lights myself. The changes took me literally about 4 min. They are not perfect but at least I can see were I am going. You are welcome.

Btw: Same airport as above. MK Studio LIRF.

Taxi light:
                            Can you share your changes?

It would be nice to fly this aircraft at night, even if PMDG seems to disagree.
                            Alex Pugh

Comment

Originally posted by AirBadger View Post

I could, but I can't until explicitly allowed by PMDG. Even if it is supposed to be a daytime airplane the files are still their intellectual property.

Comment

Originally posted by AirBadger View Post

I guess my question would be, if you could do it this easily why can't they?
                                Mike Wilkshire
                                DFW

Comment

Originally posted by michaelwilkshire View Post

I would assume because of performance issues.
                                  Sergio Naiberg

Comment

• Mad_X
                                    Mad_X commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    It has zero impact on performance. It just ate landing light that are brighter. If that affects you performance you have a lot more to worry about.

I could, but I can't until explicitly allowed by PMDG. Even if it is supposed to be a daytime airplane the files are still their intellectual property.
                                  You can‘t share the files but you can tell people what lines to replace or alter so they can do it themselves. Obviously everyone doing that will lose support.
                                  Marc Ehnle

Comment

• Mad_X
                                    Mad_X commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Support for the landing lights. Which I did not receive on the first place.

Originally posted by michaelwilkshire View Post

Because releasing a micro update would apparently turn the older versions „unusable“ at night. You can‘t just abandon the older sim versions just because LM change their lighting with every update, all above with a hotfix. But you can say you don‘t support a new subversion for now as you expect changes to come again soon. That‘s what Robert has communicated in his update. If Matthias posted his solution everyone who uses the latest sim hotfix could just change it within 4 minutes, but he doesn‘t for some reason. Well, he doesn‘t have to but others can read the SDK too. ^^
                                  Last edited by Ephedrin; 25Nov2020, 04:39.
                                  Marc Ehnle

Comment

Because releasing a micro update would apparently turn the older versions „unusable“ at night. You can‘t just abandon the older sim versions just because LM change their lighting with every update, all above with a hotfix. But you can say you don‘t support a new subversion for now as you expect changes to come again soon. That‘s what Robert has communicated in his update. If Matthias posted his solution everyone who uses the latest sim hotfix could just change it within 4 minutes, but he doesn‘t for some reason. Well, he doesn‘t have to but others can read the SDK too. ^^
                                    Why then Leonardo, A2A, Flysimware, FSL, just to name a few, can do it without loosing backwards compatibility?
                                    Last edited by Mad_X; 25Nov2020, 13:51.

Comment

Why then Leonardo, A2A, Flysimware, FSL, just to name a few, can do it without loosing backwards compatibility?
                                      Apparently they have done something different. And if it was an easy thing for PMDG to change it they would probably do it. As they don't, I assume it isn't that easy right now. This discussion is just as pointless as it is obvious.
                                      Marc Ehnle

Comment

Maybe also as someone said on another thread, PMDG has many different versions of aircrafts (form the top of my head: 15 versions of B744, 17+ versions of B737, at least 2 versions of B748) which are all linked together one way or another.
                                        I don't know but it might be a little bit more complicated to manage than other developers with much less versions of aircrafts...
                                        FSL has 6 aircrafts linked together to manage, Leonardo around 3... It is always easy to say this developer does this why that other developer doesn't?
                                        But it may be also failing to see the differences...
                                        Romain Roux

Comment

• Mad_X
                                          Mad_X commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          The effect files for all 737 are the same. Same goes for the 747.

Mentour Pilot explains the 737 lights with some nice examples shown at night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVaeeMAeImw
                                        Tom Masino

Comment

OK, enough of the playground "I've got a secret" baloney. This is really straightforward...the taxi light emitters are controlled by parameters in the fx_PMDG_NGXu_LED_taxi.fx file in your main P3D effects folder. In the ParticleAttributes.x sections you can either change the Falloff Exponent setting (sets the rate at which the illumination is reduced as a function of distance from the emitter), or the Intensity Night setting (sets the baseline intensity of illumination from that emitter).

There's a similar effects file for the landing lights: fx_PMDG_NGXu_LL.fx

Both of these effects files are specific to the NGX and the simulator--there are separate effects files for each PMDG aircraft type (737, 747) located in the effects folders of each simulator the plane is installed to.

They're just text files...save a copy of the original, and tweak to your heart's content. Once you find settings you like, make a copy, because there's nothing to prevent the file from being overwritten by an official microupdate later.

Be aware, though, if you jack it up too high you'll melt your retinas when approaching a gate with the taxi light on.
                                          Last edited by w6kd; 28Nov2020, 04:29.
                                          Bob Scott

Comment

• Mad_X
                                            Mad_X commented
                                            Editing a comment
                                            Thx for explaining this to the others, I would not have been able to in that detail .

The playground was unnecessary though because I don’t make the rules. This is PMDGs fault not mine.

Matthias,

hi guys, i also have this type of problem and as they said with other planes of other houses, like airbus fslabs with taxis and landing lights are well lit. so do you confirm that it is a problem found and that it is solved?
                                          Luca Toscani

Comment

Originally posted by w6kd View Post
                                            OK, enough of the playground "I've got a secret" baloney. This is really straightforward...the taxi light emitters are controlled by parameters in the fx_PMDG_NGXu_LED_taxi.fx file in your main P3D effects folder. In the ParticleAttributes.x sections you can either change the Falloff Exponent setting (sets the rate at which the illumination is reduced as a function of distance from the emitter), or the Intensity Night setting (sets the baseline intensity of illumination from that emitter).

There's a similar effects file for the landing lights: fx_PMDG_NGXu_LL.fx

Both of these effects files are specific to the NGX and the simulator--there are separate effects files for each PMDG aircraft type (737, 747) located in the effects folders of each simulator the plane is installed to.

They're just text files...save a copy of the original, and tweak to your heart's content. Once you find settings you like, make a copy, because there's nothing to prevent the file from being overwritten by an official microupdate later.

Be aware, though, if you jack it up too high you'll melt your retinas when approaching a gate with the taxi light on.
                                            Thank you for this clarification/information. After doing some tests I don't see any real improvement except on everything that is not a runway or taxiway texture.

But maybe it's me. Could you please suggest some values to try? What would be the maximum we can put?

If I remember correctly I had this kind of problem before in some FSX airports with "non-standard" textures. PMDG at the time told me that they couldn't do anything...although other aircraft addons didn't have this kind of problem.

Thanks again,

Richard Portier.
                                            MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K [email protected] x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti 11Gb|M16Gb DDR3|Windows 10 PRO 64|P3Dv5.1HF|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Portier View Post

Thank you for this clarification/information. After doing some tests I don't see any real improvement except on everything that is not a runway or taxiway texture.

But maybe it's me. Could you please suggest some values to try? What would be the maximum we can put?

If I remember correctly I had this kind of problem before in some FSX airports with "non-standard" textures. PMDG at the time told me that they couldn't do anything...although other aircraft addons didn't have this kind of problem.

Thanks again,

Richard Portier.
                                              Richard I too tried adjusting values of all the taxi, landing and runway turnoff lights. Some seem to have LED and I assume original fx options too. In each fx file I doubled the values in the settings mentioned above for both sections of each fx file. Tested then doubled the values again. Didnt see any difference in light intensity or the falloff point its meant to start fading.

Perhaps Im not doing it right but can barely see runways or taxiways at MK Studios EIDW (Dublin). Im a photographer and have my monitors hardware calibrated for both colour accuracy and screen brightness to suit the ambient light levels of the room. If I disable that I can see landing lights a bit better but the white balance, colours etc are wrong.

Regards

Chris Ibbotson

Comment

Working...
                                              X