Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

BBJ/BBJ2 Auto Step-Climb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBJ/BBJ2 Auto Step-Climb

Now that the BBJ/BBJ2 is on the horizon, I was wondering if y'all have already implemented, or would consider implementing an auto step-climb option for those long duration flights in the BBJ.
    Sterling Paulsen

Originally posted by spauls121 View Post
    Now that the BBJ/BBJ2 is on the horizon, I was wondering if y'all have already implemented, or would consider implementing an auto step-climb option for those long duration flights in the BBJ.
    I don't get why it would be any different than the revenue one. One is just ingeriorly designed differently i thought
    Alex Kulak
    PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

Originally posted by Swaluver88 View Post
      I don't get why it would be any different than the revenue one. One is just ingeriorly designed differently i thought
      Looking at the introduction manual, it appears as though for the NGXu as it is now, auto step climb is non-existent, so I get where he's coming from. I guess their line of thinking is, if you're flying a short flight, you wouldn't have a chance to step climb anyway, and even if you flew a long flight where you could, you would only really be able to do it once.
      Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

Is the current release of the -700 the ER model? The range is still impressive with a light payload I've noticed. Not quite enough for some of the long haul routes a BBJ is capable of, but certainly close.
        -Spencer Hoefer

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          Is the current release of the -700 the ER model? The range is still impressive with a light payload I've noticed. Not quite enough for some of the long haul routes a BBJ is capable of, but certainly close.
          I've flown a 736 around the world with the longest leg being 5 hr.

The need for step climbs in the B737 is much different from a heavy, where fuel loads are easily 2/3 more than the payload on long routes. Even on some oceanic tracks such as NATS or West Coast / Hawaii are fixed altitude segments from entry to exit. There just isn't a lot of reasons to add the complexity of auto step climb to this product.
          Dan Downs KCRP
          i7-10700K 32GB 3600MHz 2080Ti

Comment

Originally posted by spauls121 View Post
            I absolutely agree, with the ultra long haul capability of the BBJ, Autostepclimb would be a great thing to have. I'll forward it to the development team.

Comment

Does the real BBJ have auto step climb?
              Mateus Sutherland

Comment

Originally posted by matsout View Post
                Negative, they have actual pilots who would handle the step climb. The whole idea of the auto step climb as designed in the PMDG 747 and 777 was more so for the fact that if you started a long-haul flight, but left the flight unattended, the plane would then handle the step climb on its own. This wouldn't be necessary on the actual plane since it is expected that the pilots are in the flight deck monitoring the plane. Also, PMDG requires you to sign your posts with your first and last name, which you agreed to when you created an account here. Instructions on how to do so can be found here:

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-fo...pdated-25feb19
                Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

Originally posted by matsout View Post
                  No real aircraft has auto step climb. But real aircraft also have pilots sitting there managing the flight for 100% of the flight time.

Comment

• DDowns
                    DDowns commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nobody mentioned that the pilots cannot climb without ATC clearance.

I can't understand this. Either you're flying whole leg so you are staying all lets say 5hours in front of your computer or you skipping cruise. What is the point of running computer for 5hours without touching it? Save money on electricity, and "teleport" to t/d...
                  Matthew Chalupniczak

Comment

Originally posted by Dzosef View Post
                    I can't understand this. Either you're flying whole leg so you are staying all lets say 5hours in front of your computer or you skipping cruise. What is the point of running computer for 5hours without touching it? Save money on electricity, and "teleport" to t/d...
                    There's no teleport option with the PMDG planes as far as I'm aware.
                    Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

• Dzosef
                      Dzosef commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You got me...

• Mickel
                      Mickel commented
                      Editing a comment
                      There's the in-built accelerated time option - as close as we have. Useful for oceanic legs. My FO isn't interesting enough conversation for those. Others may have better luck on that front.

Originally posted by Emi View Post

No real aircraft has auto step climb. But real aircraft also have pilots sitting there managing the flight for 100% of the flight time.
                    *Cough*MD-11*cough*
                    William Genovese

Comment

There are a problem as 737's FMC only handle one manually inputed step level, rather than an interval as 747. While I think it still could be handle by set that in AutoStepclimb page?
                      ZHU Hai
                      B737 Ground instructor

Comment

Originally posted by Simflyer86 View Post

*Cough*MD-11*cough*
                        Doesn't have Auto Step Climb in the sense of PMDG either.
                        If you don't set the MCP altitude higher in the MD-11 it won't start a step climb.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelofAttack View Post
                          There are a problem as 737's FMC only handle one manually inputed step level, rather than an interval as 747. While I think it still could be handle by set that in AutoStepclimb page?
                          I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. You can only input one altitude at a time in all the planes I have seen. Unless you're thinking of the winds aloft page, where you can put in multiple altitudes, but that has nothing to do with the auto step climb. The auto step climb takes your current cruise altitude and the step size you set and does the step climbs accordingly.
                          Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

yes but the 747 and 777 will keep doing it, if you set an 2000 ft interval it will do multiple steps if necessary

i think hes saying the 737 would only step once since there is nowhere to put an interval
                            Mike Teague - p3dv5 - B736 B737 B738 B739 B744 B748

Comment

I know it's a different subject, but the same goes for RTE2 option. Emi Any chance you can pass that on to the dev team as well?
                              Youp Oosterwegel
                              EHAM

Comment

Originally posted by youp5714 View Post
                                I know it's a different subject, but the same goes for RTE2 option. Emi Any chance you can pass that on to the dev team as well?
                                RTE2 is in the todo. Not sure when will be available.
                                Chris Makris (Olympic260)
                                PMDG Technical Support
                                http://www.pmdg.com

Comment

• youp5714
                                  youp5714 commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Awesome, thanks!

Originally posted by kvuo75 View Post
                                yes but the 747 and 777 will keep doing it, if you set an 2000 ft interval it will do multiple steps if necessary

i think hes saying the 737 would only step once since there is nowhere to put an interval
                                I just checked from a previous stream that I did, and you're right. I hadn't taken that into consideration. I wonder how they would handle it then if it was implemented since apparently the actual FMC doesn't allow you to put an interval in there.
                                Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Kevin View Post
                                  I just checked from a previous stream that I did, and you're right. I hadn't taken that into consideration. I wonder how they would handle it then if it was implemented since apparently the actual FMC doesn't allow you to put an interval in there.
                                  That would be an easy implementation into the AutoStepClimb page for automatic selection of the step altitude.
                                  What's more interesting is the philosophy when to climb.
                                  In the large Boeings it's not much of an issue, you climb when the OPT altitude reaches the next higher thousand.
                                  Not so in the 737NG. Compared to other Boeings it has very, very little margin. My operator uses a fixed cruise CG of 5, which even limits the max altitude to around 700-800ft above the OPT and the OPT itself also goes down A LOT compared to an actual cruise CG.
                                  In fact we ONLY do a step climb when the OPT equals the new cruise level.
                                  If we had for example OPT 397, MAX 405 we'd normally choose a cruise level of 380 and stay there until the OPT actually reaches 400 before we would climb.

When you climb up all the way to a couple hundret feet close of the MAX level your speed margin will be so little that even the slighest turbulence would bring you into either an overspeed or a low speed situation.

Thus the question needs to be asked: When should you actually do your step climb with an Auto Step Climb?
                                  Simply porting the logic of the 777 or 747 into the 737 could result in some serious aerodynamic problems in a 737.

Comment

Originally posted by Swaluver88 View Post

No, there is more that can be different. BBJ’s can be fitted with auxilary fuel tanks in the lower cargo holds to increase the range.
                                    Next to all kind of extra’s like independant SATcom so the VIP pax does not need to use the company SATcom (so they cannot eavesdrop into the conversation).
                                    René Moelaert EHLE

Comment

Will auto step climb be added in the future? I did a 10hr 30min flight in the BBJ but didn’t see it in the options. I had to leave it at FL350, until I woke up lol
                                      Thanks, Matt -|- Win 10 Pro, [email protected], Corsair H115i, Asus Strix X299, 32Gb Corsair Vengence, MSI RTX 2080ti, Samsung C49RG90, CH Pedals, Honeycomb Yoke, T16000M Joystick, throttles, VRinsight MCP Combo, XP11, P3Dv5 Pro, MSFS2020 and way too many add-ons to mention! Owned almost every PMDG product since the days of Fly!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Richards View Post
                                        Will auto step climb be added in the future? I did a 10hr 30min flight in the BBJ but didn’t see it in the options. I had to leave it at FL350, until I woke up lol
                                        It has been discussed but it is unlikely this will be added. There would need to be quite a bit of modification because the NG doesn't have the option to set a step value (such as RVSM or 2000) so code would have to be created to do that while observing OPT and MAX levels, then once that is done the winds for the new step would need to be uploaded because NG only uploads winds for one cruise altitude. Not as easy as it is for the big Boeings.
                                        Dan Downs KCRP
                                        i7-10700K 32GB 3600MHz 2080Ti

Comment

Adding to Dans comment, when you fly anywhere close to the maximum levels in the 737 you have a very, very small margin to the over- and underspeed. In fact you only have a very few couple knots. I'm not sure if you'd want to fly that close to the limits while not actively monitoring your flight (aka when autostepping up).

Thus it would not just be possible to copy/paste 747 code into the 737 to model an autostepclimb, a lot more would have to go into it that makes it much more complex due to the aerodynamics of the 737 compared to the other PMDG product lines.

Comment

Thanks for the replies Dan & Emanuel. I still arrived with my planned landing fuel, so I’ll just plan a single level in future 👍🏼
                                            Thanks, Matt -|- Win 10 Pro, [email protected], Corsair H115i, Asus Strix X299, 32Gb Corsair Vengence, MSI RTX 2080ti, Samsung C49RG90, CH Pedals, Honeycomb Yoke, T16000M Joystick, throttles, VRinsight MCP Combo, XP11, P3Dv5 Pro, MSFS2020 and way too many add-ons to mention! Owned almost every PMDG product since the days of Fly!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Richards View Post
                                              Thanks for the replies Dan & Emanuel. I still arrived with my planned landing fuel, so I’ll just plan a single level in future 👍🏼
                                              When I did overnights during the beta I usually climbed up to the cloest level to the MAX altitude. You're burning a tiny bit more fuel, but will still be fine. Contingency covers you.

Comment

Originally posted by Emi View Post

When I did overnights during the beta I usually climbed up to the cloest level to the MAX altitude. You're burning a tiny bit more fuel, but will still be fine. Contingency covers you.
                                                I probably could’ve gone slightly higher, but it was the first ‘test’ flight, so I stayed on the side of caution. Nothing worse to wake up and find you’re bouncing around the Atlantic 😬

Comment

Another issue unique to the 737 is that the altitude on the pressurization panel would also have to be changed for each step.
                                                  Tom Landry

Comment

• DDowns
                                                    DDowns commented
                                                    Editing a comment
                                                    Dang... that's what I couldn't remember earlier. Thanks Tom.

• ahuimanu
                                                    ahuimanu commented
                                                    Editing a comment
                                                    The 737 is a Frankenstein of bolted on improvements over a 1960s vintage, hence weirdo stuff like manually setting cabin altitude and otherwise not relying on tighter systems/FMC integration. That said, since I am "overnighting" quite a bit in the BBJ, I'd like to be able to "auto step climb" as there are so many other affordances built into the PMDG NGXu that accommodate that we are simming on a desktop.
                                                    Last edited by ahuimanu; 11Nov2020, 19:00. Reason: fixes
                                                Working...
                                                X