Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

New NGXu Install - APU starts but GENs won't switch on

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    New NGXu Install - APU starts but GENs won't switch on

    I've been flying the old NGX for a long time in P3D v4 so I'm very familiar with the start-up procedure from a cold and dark state. Or at least I thought I was. I bought the NGXu a few weeks ago and waited to install it until today's update as I'm now using P3D v5. This install of P3D v5 is only a couple of weeks old, on a freshly formatted PC and new install of Win 10 including 2004 update. So everything is new.

    This is the first time I tried to start the NGXu from a cold and dark state and once I turned on the APU, the APU GENs would not supply power. The "APU GEN OFF BUS" light is lit, but the switches don't do anything, and if I turn off ground power I lose all power and the aircraft goes dark.

    To be clear, this is the flow I use to prepare the aircraft for departure:

    Battery ON
    Battery switch to aux power (is this even needed?)
    Align IRS
    Set initial IRS position
    Load fuel and payload
    Set up FMC, overhead panel, MCP, etc. Everything I believe I need to do in order to be ready for departure
    Once the doors are closed, start APU
    Once APU GENs lights up, switches to APU GEN so the APU is pwoering the aircraft.

    This is where I got stuck. Am I missing a step? Is there something about the flow/procedure in the NGXu that's different from the old NGX? I found some forum posts in here about this problem, but it was always an issue with panel state files from prior to an update. Since this was a completely new install not more than 3 hours ago, that can't be the problem. So I'm assuming it's something I'm doing wrong?

    Thanks.
    Paul Biderman

    #2
    BTW fuel and hydraulic pumps were on before I started the APU.
    Paul Biderman

    Comment


      #3
      Paul,

      Are you certain that you are seeing the switches move DOWN to the ON selection and not UP to the OFF selection? I had no issues connecting the APU to the buses but the switches do move both ways obviously.
      Paul Gollnick
      PMDG Technical Support
      Support.PMDG.com

      Comment


        #4
        Hi Paul. Thanks for your reply. I'm fairly certain the switched move down, and up. When they didn't work I tried to toggle them the other way in case I was doing it wrong. I'll try again in the morning
        Paul Biderman

        Comment


          #5
          Remove all panel states and see if that helps
          Matthew Chalupniczak

          Comment


            #6
            It's the same with me. If I load "NGXu short" as panel state, the APU is running but it is not possible to switch the generators of the APU to the bus.
            Directly after loading the NGXu the engines are running, if I start the APU in this state I can switch the generators to the bus.
            I noticed that in the comparison to earlier versions the panel state "Default" is missing.
            cheers Stefan Liebe
            Last edited by Stefan; 04Jul2020, 11:32.
            Stefan Liebe

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by gollum65 View Post
              Battery ON
              Battery switch to aux power (is this even needed?)
              Align IRS
              Set initial IRS position
              Load fuel and payload
              Set up FMC, overhead panel, MCP, etc. Everything I believe I need to do in order to be ready for departure
              Once the doors are closed, start APU
              Once APU GENs lights up, switches to APU GEN so the APU is pwoering the aircraft.
              Thanks.
              The procedure varies a lot in different companies but there are a few things you're doing wrong though. Don't align your IRSs on DC power alone, get some AC first.
              Battery ON
              Battery switch to aux power... that's not a thing. You're only switching the information displayed on the DC Metering Panel
              Get AC: If you have ground power, use it. If not, do your fire tests, start the APU and when it becomes available, put it on buses, activate the fuel pumps and turn on the steady nav lights.
              Continue with the rainbow flow where you will also align IRSs.
              Sit down and continue with the procedure as per the FCOM.
              Omar Josef
              Spain

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by gollum65 View Post
                Hi Paul. Thanks for your reply. I'm fairly certain the switched move down, and up. When they didn't work I tried to toggle them the other way in case I was doing it wrong. I'll try again in the morning
                From here correct?: \PMDG\PMDG 737 NGXu\PanelState

                If I remove the files from that folder, whether it's all of them or just the 3 panel state .sav files, the aircraft will not create new ones.
                Paul Biderman

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Aeromar View Post

                  The procedure varies a lot in different companies but there are a few things you're doing wrong though. Don't align your IRSs on DC power alone, get some AC first.
                  Battery ON
                  Battery switch to aux power... that's not a thing. You're only switching the information displayed on the DC Metering Panel
                  Get AC: If you have ground power, use it. If not, do your fire tests, start the APU and when it becomes available, put it on buses, activate the fuel pumps and turn on the steady nav lights.
                  Continue with the rainbow flow where you will also align IRSs.
                  Sit down and continue with the procedure as per the FCOM.
                  Thanks, I'll try that. I did list one step wrong. I was going onto ground power before aligning the IRS.
                  Paul Biderman

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Stefan View Post
                    It's the same with me. If I load "NGXu short" as panel state, the APU is running but it is not possible to switch the generators of the APU to the bus.
                    Directly after loading the NGXu the engines are running, if I start the APU in this state I can switch the generators to the bus.
                    I noticed that in the comparison to earlier versions the panel state "Default" is missing.
                    cheers Stefan Liebe
                    The panel state Default is redundant as is the same as loading the plane with no panel state so it was removed. Loading no pane state will load the "default" one
                    Chris Makris (Olympic260)
                    PMDG Technical Support
                    http://www.pmdg.com

                    Comment


                      #11
                      When the aircraft did not create new panel state files as I mentioned above, I restored the original files that I had moved to the recycle bin. I then tried to recreate all the conditions from last night as best as I could remember, repeating all the steps I remembered taking, and this time the APU worked fine. So I don't know what happened last night? And I don't know why the aircraft did not make new panel state files when I removed the original files? But at least for that start-up it worked fine.
                      Paul Biderman

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Same problem here can't switch APU generators on bus and it's with a fresh install of the NGXu no changes made to panel state files etc
                        Daniel Welsh

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Always when something weird like this happens and you are sure you're doing things correctly, just delete all the panel states and let it create new ones.
                          Omar Josef
                          Spain

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Aeromar View Post
                            Always when something weird like this happens and you are sure you're doing things correctly, just delete all the panel states and let it create new ones.
                            Unless it doesn't, like in my case.
                            Paul Biderman

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I had the same problem

                              Comment


                                #16
                                Paul, I don't think you're missing anything, I have experienced same issue and apparently few others as well. The APU EGT gauge drops down to about 60 and freezes (temp usually drops lower), blue lights come on but switches do not close the bus. It doesn't have anything to do with saved panel states or APU start procedure. I believe it's an intermittent SW issue and the only way I found to resolve it is to restart the P3D entirely resulting in an hour flight delay. One additional note worth mentioning, I have only observed it on -800 aircraft (not to say it doesn't exist elsewhere).
                                Last edited by serge_s; 09Aug2020, 16:12.
                                Serge Saakov

                                Comment


                                  #17
                                  Originally posted by serge_s View Post
                                  Paul, I don't think you're missing anything, I have experienced same issue and apparently few others as well. The APU EGT gauge drops down to about 60 and freezes (temp usually drops lower), blue lights come on but switches do not close the bus. It doesn't have anything to do with saved panel states or APU start procedure. I believe it's an intermittent SW issue and the only way I found to resolve it is to restart the P3D entirely resulting in an hour flight delay. One additional note worth mentioning, I have only observed it on -800 aircraft (not to say it doesn't exist elsewhere).
                                  It happened to me on the -900 however panel reset did work for me tough.
                                  STEFAN ĐORĐEVIĆ

                                  Comment


                                  • serge_s
                                    serge_s commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Hey Stefan, hope all is well. Yes, as soon as I posted the message this morning, it happened to me again in a -700 on the very next flight. APU won't come on at departure or after landing at my destination. I left the panel state untouched, didn't delete anything, but I restarted P3D and the issue went away by itself. After P3D restart, the APU was functioning normally again using the same panel state as before.
                                Working...
                                X