Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

Flying NGXu - First Impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• serge_s
    replied
    Here is a short clip of my first VA-assigned flight with NGXu from KMCO to KATL. Starts out with flight deck initiation flows. Scenery is way over-exposed. I know it's rough, please be gentle

[P3D] Boeing 737-800 NGXu Orlando to Atlanta

Leave a comment:

• Jetman
    replied
    Another great post give this man a star

Leave a comment:

• serge_s
    started a topic Flying NGXu - First Impressions

Flying NGXu - First Impressions

Hi all,

These are my first impressions flying the NGXu.

To get started, my legacy home-built PC circa 2013 running Win 7 is coming up to the end of life soon, and needs a refresh in a bad way. I have been flying the FSX/NGX for close to 7 years now and a step-up to P3D is a welcome transition for me. Everything about it is seems different from what I’m used to, and yet it all oddly feels and looks familiar at the same time; like in some kind of a parallel universe, LOL.

Several weeks ago, I finished a new PC build. The hardware build itself was fairly quick, took only about 4 hours to complete; but it wasn’t until this morning when I finally finished installing and configuring everything to the point when I thought that it was ready for a test flight. I took the extra time to get prepared for a flight from Providence Rhode Island (KPVD), over the Block Island Sound, and back to Providence. A quick jaunt to see how everything feels before I get back to my usual VA routine. I did make a short clip of it which I may post on the YouTube later.

My new PC is a Ryzen 7 3700 8 core 16 thread 3.6 GHz CPU with a stock cooler mounted on a 570 motherboard chipset, 16 GB DDR4 3600 RAM, with fast NVME boot and application drives. For graphics, I have an Nvidia RTX 2070 Super overclocked with 8GB memory projecting on dual 2160P 144 Hz G-Sync monitors. Having dialed in all ultra-high settings, I was getting fairly consistent FPS in the high-50s throughout the flight, although it did drop off slightly toward the end as I was getting closer to the ground. There is no doubt, NGXu demands a lot of processing power. Ideally, an RTX 2080 Ti would probably be a good graphics card for this, but it’s stupid expensive and not worth it for an average simmer with a day job and a couple of kids, in my very humble opinion; YMMV. A graphics card should not cost as much as a mortgage payment. Although overall frames looked smooth, I may still want dial back on the high def settings just a bit in the future, even with the relatively high-end PC specs.

Overall, the visuals are just stunning. Everything from the aircraft exterior paint, LED lights, wing edges, metallic surface reflections, down to the interior flight deck was top notch. PMDG have really knocked the graphics out of the ball park. Having accumulated nearly a thousand hours flying the legacy NGX, I was ready for something new and more visually exciting. I think the same could be said for the entire flight simming community. And with this release, we got it, and in a big way! The PMDG team did a fantastic job! The flight deck controls look cleaner and crisper. Everything is in the right place and working as it should. I did experience a glitch with not being able to see the HGS display data, but I think the issue is on my side entirely as I have not heard of anyone else having this issue. A few more bells and whistles were added to the ground services, including fuel trucks, push carts, loading ramps, stairs, and even a passenger bus… wow! The fuel loading and passenger boarding is more realistic now, I can definitely see using these functions for improved realism. But even with all this software bling, I have to admit that it all seems a bit over the top to me – I really don’t need all that, all I really need is to concentrate on flight planning and execution, but maybe some of you may appreciate all the extra niceties; if you’re into that sort of thing – you got it.

At first, I thought I would finally say goodbye to the FSUIPC. However, after further consideration I still think that some fine tuning may be needed with steering controls on the ground and several other control features; ground steering is a bit unresponsive and somewhat unrealistic. I read in the manual where it says that FSUIPC is fully supported now with NGXu, and after tinkering with it a bit more, I believe that the chapter on FSUIPC is not yet closed to some extent.

The flight dynamics are absolutely superb. Everything about NGXu seems authentic, from the panel movements on the ground to the interior and exterior sounds. The sounds are perfect, there is no more need for any 3rd party add-ons; these work better out of the box and better than anything I’ve ever experienced before (except in a real airplane).

The EFB is something new to me, I had to skim through the 100+ page manual, which was not fun. I’m sure I will come to like it with time, but as of this moment I probably still do not fully appreciating its full potential. It would be nice to finally ditch the old TOPCAT after all these years; it served me well but is getting old and I don’t see any updates forthcoming. So, I am committed to making the EFB work. Having Navigraph ultimate subscription is not required, but is a good idea. The charts displayed on the EFB are not as clean or crisp as one might expect. It’s a bit small and looks a bit fuzzy and angled in a precarious way. I think I would rather prefer to look at the charts on a second monitor, or even on a smartphone for that matter. However, performance planning with EFB is a God-sent (once I figure out how to use it properly). The manual that comes with it is extensive; however to be honest, I would appreciate a simple 2-page flow chard insert “for dummies” in order to simplify such a complex instrument to an average simmer such as myself; all we need is something to get us started, and then if we want details, we can read more about it in the manual to fill in the knowledge gaps.

All that said, I did load some additional software external to PMDG to further enhance my experience, some of the more prominent ones including:
    • TrackIR
    • EZDok
    • REX Sky Force 3D
    • REX Environment
    • Active Sky for P3Dv4

Lastly, I really appreciate the $99 discount from PMDG on future FS2020 product. I don’t know too many companies that do this nowadays, although more of them probably should. Thank you guys!

Overall, the entire experience I just went through from upgrading the PC hardware and software was made worth it with this addon from PMDG. NGXu is an icing on the cake! Awesome job team!

Thank you - Serge
Working...
X