Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

HYD fluid System A refill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HYD fluid System A refill

Hello!
    I have done some flights now and I noticed that I have to refill HYD system A before every flight.

I have service based failures on. During the flight I get no warning or indication of a hydraulic failure... Landings are normal, means I dont crash it on the runway.

Anyone has tipps what I do wrong here?

Thank you!
    Klaus Schmitzer

+1

Exact same situation.
    Got Nose Wheel imbalance also quite often
    Guenter Steiner

Comment

Originally posted by Rhinozherous View Post
      Hello!
      I have done some flights now and I noticed that I have to refill HYD system A before every flight.

I have service based failures on. During the flight I get no warning or indication of a hydraulic failure... Landings are normal, means I dont crash it on the runway.

Anyone has tipps what I do wrong here?

Thank you!
      +1

Got the same for HYD A but I have all failures disabled - weird.

I tryed a workaround and I did load the cold and dark panel state via fmc and after that I did a ground maintenance for hydraulic and saved this state as new panel state which is actually my startup panel state - negativ

Regards
      Michael Grebesits
      Last edited by lesgrebe; 13Nov2019, 18:21.
      Michael Grebesits

Comment

Are you using any pane state when loading the plane?
        Chris Makris (Olympic260)
        PMDG Technical Support
        http://www.pmdg.com

Comment

Originally posted by cmakris View Post
          Hello, yes!

I used the default panel state NGXU COLD DARK and saved this as a new panel state called NGXU COLD DARK2 which is actually my default state. After the HYD A minimum level error I did the hyd maintenance and saved this for workaround again as NGXU COLD DARK2.

Regards
          Michael Grebesits
          Michael Grebesits

Comment

I use the Cold and Dark state as Startup state that came with the plane.
            Klaus Schmitzer

Comment

emmm, if load a panel state will override the maintenance state, what's good for accumulated maintenance based failure?

ZHU Hai
              B737 Ground instructor

Comment

Originally posted by AngelofAttack View Post
                emmm, if load a panel state will override the maintenance state, what's good for accumulated maintenance based failure?
                Nope. This is saved on the reg.ini file. Loading a saved panel state will not overide them
                PMDG Technical Support

Comment

Just had the HYD failure as well.

Loaded up the Southwest 738 to configure some equipment options. Sitting on the runway at KVCV, added ground power, changed some options, started the APU, noticed the HYD A was low.

Failure came back after a lap in the pattern even though the SYS page showed 92%.
                  Matt Kramer

Comment

Gents,

I'd like to have a bit more information here on what you are seeing?

Specifically I'd like to know what indication you are using to determine that the airplane is low on hydraulic fluid in system A?

Robert S. Randazzo
                    PMDG Simulations

Comment

I have had to spend a lot of time with a HYD A failure to the point that I did not have enough to get flaps going; I have failures off. It seems to present itself when I load from the created panel state 'turn around' that I created that came with the documentation. After a few flights I get the HYD issues of low fuel and pressure despite having enough fuel. The first two or free have no issues. No issue from starting fresh, but the panel state loading is a lot quicker as I work full time not in aviation. It has not happened the last three flights so maybe there was an issue with the first created 'turn around state' as I have created a new one and touch wood seems to be ok.

Failures off as well in FMC.

The plane is awesome; I love the wingflex and the texture on the VC windows; plus everything else. What a beautiful plane!

Here is a video that shows the panel state and other things; maybe I have something wrong...If it happens again, how do I fix it without having to recreate all the panel states etc?

https://youtu.be/-YW0r6J_vr0​​​​​​

Simon
                      Last edited by simon747; 13Nov2019, 08:29.

Comment

Originally posted by rsrandazzo View Post
                        Gents,

Specifically I'd like to know what indication you are using to determine that the airplane is low on hydraulic fluid in system A?
                        For me, I noticed it first in the FMC because I clicked "Failures" just to play around. It was active, and then I checked the SYS page and saw the quantity in A at ~63%.

I reset the failure by using the ground mx options to refill the fluid, took off, landed, and checked the failures page again. After landing it was both SYS A and the gear imbalance failure, but the quantity still read 92%.
                        Matt Kramer

Comment

Gents,

The red active failure message in the failure menu. When I remember correctly the quantity is something about 62 on the sys page and shows "RF".
                          Klaus Schmitzer

Comment

Just want to add I am having similar issue although it was Sys B. I noticed Sys A was 100% and system B was 63% while taxiing. I don't have any failures enabled but did have the red active failure message. I selected clear all and the low pressure light extinguished. Upon landing Sys B was now 25 and I could not raise flaps or store No 2 thrust reverser. Since I was on ground I selected service all and everything went back to 100%. I also notice engine oil always starts at engine 1 99% engine 2 93% but by the time I started taxiing they are both in the upper 60's low 70's for percentage. My panel state is always previous flight so not sure if that has anything to do with it

Thank you,
                            David Schleck
                            David Schleck

Comment

Gents,

Hello Mr. Randazzo

I´ve noticed it the first time yesterday at the upper overhead panel after the engine start when I´ve done my panelflow because I saw that ENG1 HYDA LOW PRESSURE light is illuminatet and in this case my QTY was about 25% and I´ve done the GROUND MAINT <SERVICE HYD FLUID and after that everything was fine.

Today for my flight I´ve startet an new scenario and load the 737-800NGXu PMDG House Blended Winglets aircraft and saw that RF (Refill?) is displayed at system page next QTY (75%). Then I checked the FMC - see attached screenshots. After engine start the RF message disappeard but the FMC state on failures page stays but I also have to say that I haven´t tryed to use CLR ACTIVE/ALL function...

FMC FAILURES PAGE and SYS PAGE LOWER DU:

image_3456.jpgimage_3457.jpgimage_3458.jpg

FMC SIMULATION PAGE:

image_3459.jpg

FMC FAILURES PAGE and SYS PAGE LOWER DU after ENGINE START:

Failures_3_after_engine_start.JPG

Hope this helps a little bit......and maybe this is a normal behavior, if so I would like to apologize

Regards
                              Michael Grebesits

My System:
                              FS: P3D V4.5 HF2 (complete install)
                              Last edited by lesgrebe; 13Nov2019, 18:39.
                              Michael Grebesits

Comment

Gents,

Okay- so time for a bit of systems class...

The NG series airplanes is a bit different in that it shows you a digital quantity readout that is non-compensated, meaning that as fluid is used in the system to, say, deploy flaps, the quantity on the indication will change.

In PMDG 737NGXuwe have modeled the fluid quantity of the entire system and all of it's sub-systems. The fluid is contained in a reservoir, and a computation of it's flow patterns is maintained in real time in order to account for heat production, cooling and pressure distribution system-wide. This includes volume tracking, so as you move various parts that require hydraulic fluid to operate, they will pull fluid from the reservoir or return it to the reservoir depending upon system state.

(If you leave the display up in flight, you get a good indication of what is using fluid and what is not...)

The NG airplane has it's hydraulic fluid tanks in the gear bay, for those who don't know, which dramatically helps with fluid cooling. We have modeled the physical properties of the fluid to include specific gravity, etc- and this does cause some variation in measured quantity as temperature changes.

Now- one thing that goes on in the global fleet is that most operators will check the hydraulic fluid quantity during a routine service check, and they evaluate the displayed quantity based upon current air temperatures and the length of time since the airplane last flew. They do this because topping the system in a cold environment and then sending it to a warm environment will guarantee that the system overlfows and makes a mess of the airplane.

This is why we use the term SERVICE HYDRAULICS rather than "REFILL" in the maintenance menu. If you watch the service results, you will notice that in warm climates and cold climates, pressing the SERVICE button will give you slightly different resulting levels of fluid.

So- if you are seeing levels in the high 70s to 106% on the display- just leave things well enough alone. The airplane likely has fluid stored off in a system someplace and it will return when the airplane is under a different configuration.

If the airplane is showing you a RF (refill) indication on the display, then you have definitely lost fluid and we will want to explore this further if you haven't had service based failures activated.

Coders Note: You can do one thing with NGXu that you cannot do with the real airplane, and that is to change options packages on the fly with the FMS in real time. We found during testing that some of our beta testers would do something odd like "raise the spoilers, switch to the short field package, lower the spoilers, switch to normal package, raise the spoilers and if I do this 50 times i can drain the A system of fluid."

I spent quite a bit of time chasing this sort of craziness while also scheduling random drug tests for a few of our beta testers because it seems that no sane person should sit back and ponder "what happens if I...."

I am relatively certain we nailed all of those down- but if those of you seeing a loss of fluid can give me some idea of anything you changed or other oddities that would help to chase down a potential loss of fluid that is "logic driven."

Conclusion: I'm not seeing anything here that worries me- but a couple of you appear to be seeing behavior that doesn't sound right- so I want to keep any eye on your results.

Robert S. Randazzo
                                PMDG Simulations

Comment

Hello again!

Thx. for the information

Just to confirm because I didn´t mentioned it - I haven´t changed any aircraft settings in the FMC like failures, etc. during a flight.

Yes I have and had SERVICE-BASED FAILURES OFF as you can see in the screenshots in my previous post (#15) but I get RF displayed next QTY (HYD A at 76%@TAT 4°C/1006HPA) everytime I load the aircraft till I start the engines - so is this a normal behavior which is shown even I have the option SERVICE-BASED FAILURES disabled (off)??

FCOM2.JPG

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Regards
                                  Michael Grebesits
                                  Last edited by lesgrebe; 13Nov2019, 22:59.
                                  Michael Grebesits

Comment

I have the same issue.

Every time I load the aircraft, the aircraft is in a cold and dark state, I need to refill the SYS A hydraulic fluid. I do have service-based failures and load last oil state enabled, however, I haven't even powered up the hydraulic system since the last refill.

Comment

• lesgrebe
                                      lesgrebe commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      You have failures off or on?

Regards
                                      Michael G.

• Loma
                                      Loma commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Currently, service-based failures are on.

So let me get this straight. I am not complaining, just want to understand this as I wasted 4 or so hours with this and really enjoy the plane It came back today, but I serviced the hydraulic system via FMC and it seemed to fix it. So, if I have service- based failures disabled and I get the error again. I need to preform a service via the FMC to the hydraulic system; while on the ground? I have tried clearing the message via the FMC but it does not fix it? If I load a new panel state, the problem with the hydraulic system will supersede the panel state load and take priority despite having service-based failures disabled? The only way to rid it is do the maintenance? I seemed to rid it initially by starting a new turnaround state from scratch, but it came back today again...

PS--are all hydraulic pumps (the 4 switches that say (elec and eng) to be off a in a turn around state with the engines off and APU on; the 4 switches? Or are some on and some off; I have seen a combination of everything and I wonder if that is doing something to the system. Fuel pumps positions while in a turnaround state; does that matter? Mine or off right until I am ready to start the engines...
                                    Last edited by simon747; 13Nov2019, 22:59.

Comment

I have to confirm that this happens to me also. Turning service based failures ON/OFF makes no difference. It always appears both as failure in PMDG setup section and as RF notion on SYS page of the aircraft itself. If I clear the failure, refill HYD fluid, the problem does not reappear when I reload the panel state to cold and dark. It returns only after I restart the whole sim.
                                      Jan Vysoký

Comment

What my assumption's here with the PMDG system when you hit service hydraulic system it stop's the system from operating as it does the refill process, but I could be wrong as I am not on the Dev team, what I have noticed in the pictures posted so far that engines are running so the (EDP) Engine Driven Hydraulic Pumps are most likely on and you are trying to refill with flaps and slats extended which are powered by the A system hydraulic system, so, please try this process if you are getting the RF on system A (without engines running) make sure you have a ground power source (GPU or APU) ensure the flaps and slats are in the retract position and thrust reversers are both in the stowed position, ensure the battery switch is selected on and "ELEC" hydraulic pumps A & B Off, then resume to try the refill process through the FMC hydraulic servicing page.

Justin Evans
                                        Justin Evans

Comment

Originally posted by MojoGaming View Post
                                          A system hydraulic system, so, please try this process if you are getting the RF on system A (without engines running) make sure you have a ground power source (GPU or APU) ensure the flaps and slats are in the retract position and thrust reversers are both in the stowed position, ensure the battery switch is selected on and "ELEC" hydraulic pumps A & B Off, then resume to try the refill process through the FMC hydraulic servicing page.

Justin Evans
                                          Thanks for the advice.

My engines will be off and aircraft state as you suggest as above when doing the HYD servicing (despite service-based failures off). Will this fix this issue as the HYD is not tied to panel state? Meaning it is tied to the .ini file file, so when I start again after servicing the HYD as above and then reload with a turnaround panel state the hydraulic issue will be gone? I don't have a lot of time to start each flight from cold and dark etc, prefer to start with a turn around state as suggest in the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by MojoGaming View Post
                                            What my assumption's here with the PMDG system when you hit service hydraulic system it stop's the system from operating as it does the refill process, but I could be wrong as I am not on the Dev team, what I have noticed in the pictures posted so far that engines are running so the (EDP) Engine Driven Hydraulic Pumps are most likely on and you are trying to refill with flaps and slats extended which are powered by the A system hydraulic system, so, please try this process if you are getting the RF on system A (without engines running) make sure you have a ground power source (GPU or APU) ensure the flaps and slats are in the retract position and thrust reversers are both in the stowed position, ensure the battery switch is selected on and "ELEC" hydraulic pumps A & B Off, then resume to try the refill process through the FMC hydraulic servicing page.

Justin Evans
                                            To me problem appears whenever I start the sim and load the plane in C&D panel state. I just turn ON the battery, connect the ground power, and look on the SYS page when it appears. All pumps are off and all flaps retracted. I do refill at this state. It appears again next time I start the sim (It does not appear after I just load C&D state again).

To simon 747: No this does not fix the issue.
                                            Jan Vysoký

Comment

rsrandazzo any update on this? Kind of annoying to start every flight with clearing failures and refilling hydraulic fluid.

Comment

I decided to pay attention to this on my last flight because i've been getting weird hyd sys refill req all the time

loaded my saved scenario for n901nn (aal 800 bw)

refilled. so i'm starting with 92 92

at cruise: 106 92 (???)

at shutdown: 90 92

save scenario, shut down p3d, relaunch.. reload same scenario 4 minutes later

90 81

and b sys qty refill req is in the failures

Mike Teague - p3dv4.4 - B736 B737 B738 B739 B77L B77W B744 B748

Comment

Gents,

Have managed to reproduce on my machine so I will pass the exact steps to the development team to investigate and fix
                                                  PMDG Technical Support

Comment

• lesgrebe
                                                    lesgrebe commented
                                                    Editing a comment
                                                    Hy Chris,

as always thanks!

Regards
                                                    Michael Grebesits

Gents,

Have managed to reproduce on my machine so I will pass the exact steps to the development team to investigate and fix
                                                  That is good news that you have been able to find it. That is the only odd thing I get; (see attached photo) despite having failures disabled in the FMC I get this from time to time and it seems to fix itself if I preform maintenance on the HYD systems? Very enjoyable to fly otherwise...

Comment

Working...
                                                  X