Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

VC is Very Dark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VC is Very Dark

First of all... thanks a ton for this amazing fleet of aircraft! You guys to truly set the bar very high. Looking forward to how all this works in MSFS down the road.

I have no doubt I have done something wrong, but don't understand what. With the aircraft on the ramp in broad daylight, I still need to add a lot of panel lights to see the panels well enough to use them. The overhead panel is especially dark. I am using v4.5 across the board, but only updated the Client for the last HF2 update (4.5.13.32097). Do I also need to update Content to v4.5.13.32097 to get PBR to work correctly? It is currently v4.5.11.29713. Thanks!

Edit: I have never used a shader mod... totally stock shaders. The panels look just fine in all your other aircraft (777, 747, 737NGX, etc.).
    Last edited by dmiannay; 08Nov2019, 23:56.
    Doug Miannay (KATL)
    i7-8700K (OC 5.0GHz - HT Off) | ASUS Maximus X Hero Z370 | Corsair Hydro H150i Pro Cooler | ASUS STRIX-RTX2080TI-11G | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 TridentZ RGB 4000Hz | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 960 Pro 1TB M.2 (Sim/Games) | Corsair H1000i PSU | Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout Case | Win10 Pro x64

Yes, I'm on the same boat. I have no shaders mod intsalled and the cockpit looks too dark IMHO, even during day time.
    Mauricio Brentano

Comment

Yeah I agree it’s a bit dark. Bright noon sunshine outside but the flight deck looks like the inside of a level D simulator.
      Tim Smith

Comment

Noon is directly overhead. That's not helping you.

Using the P3D HDR or no?
        Kyle Rodgers
        PMDG Developer Emeritus

Comment

Originally posted by krodgers View Post
          Noon is directly overhead. That's not helping you.

Using the P3D HDR or no?
          Hi Kyle. Thanks for weighing-in. In my situation it is 10AM west coast on a flight south from KPDX to KSFO (tutorial). And no, I do not use P3D HDR. Too much "bloom" and "washing out" for my tastes. Lots of fiddling and just can't get it where I like it.
          Last edited by dmiannay; 09Nov2019, 02:42.
          Doug Miannay (KATL)
          i7-8700K (OC 5.0GHz - HT Off) | ASUS Maximus X Hero Z370 | Corsair Hydro H150i Pro Cooler | ASUS STRIX-RTX2080TI-11G | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 TridentZ RGB 4000Hz | Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 960 Pro 1TB M.2 (Sim/Games) | Corsair H1000i PSU | Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout Case | Win10 Pro x64

Comment

Yeah... hdr would definitely brighten things up. Gotta use what you got 😉
            Vin Scimone
            PMDG Simulations
            http://www.pmdg.com/

Comment

Originally posted by vscimone View Post
              Yeah... hdr would definitely brighten things up. Gotta use what you got 😉
              I understand... but I use these same settings for the other PMDG aircraft and the panel lighting is excellent.
              Last edited by dmiannay; 09Nov2019, 03:51.
              Doug Miannay (KATL)

Comment

Originally posted by dmiannay View Post

I understand... but I use these same settings for the other PMDG aircraft and the panel lighting is excellent.
                Those also have different windows and brown flight decks.
                Kyle Rodgers
                PMDG Developer Emeritus

Comment

OK Kylie, I'm in the same boat as Doug. So does it mean we need to use P3D HDR for best visual lightning environment in the new NGXu?
                  I don't like the HDR lightning in P3D, too, but I would turn it on, if there will be no other solution to eliminate the dark VC.

Patric
                  Patric Scharff

Comment

Originally posted by pscharff View Post

OK Kylie, I'm in the same boat as Doug. So does it mean we need to use P3D HDR for best visual lightning environment in the new NGXu?
                    I don't like the HDR lightning in P3D, too, but I would turn it on, if there will be no other solution to eliminate the dark VC.

Patric
                    I use a combo of HDR and adjusting my monitor brightness and it works well. HDR for me brightens up the flight deck a bit.
                    Tony Fontaine

Comment

Hello Tony,

I've just tried the HDR option in P3Dv4. But I do not get to like with this setting. At day everything looks fine, but at night it looks horrible. The contrast of the stars is far too high. All stars have almost the same brightness - that's really unreal.

So, for the moment I will stick with "non-HDR" mode.
                      Patric Scharff

Comment

Patric,

Have you tried changing your monitor brightness and contrast?
                        Tony Fontaine

Comment

Hello Tony,

I've tried different HDR brightness and saturation settings within P3Dv4, but the problem remained. I think it is not a problem of the brightness setting but a problem of the HDR technics himself. For me the correct appearence of the stars is really an important point.

Perhaps I will try to adjust the monitor brightness, too. But my actually monitor settings are OK for all other purposes and aircraft.
                          Patric Scharff

Comment

Just made a flight with clear skys around noon. The V/C was pretty dark and I had to use the dome light. After parking, although the sun was shining bright, the cockpit was very dark. Changed the time/season to summer (still noon), but the cockpit was still as dark as before. Even with the eyebrows enabled, still the same dark V/C. Cannot remember from real visits to the cockpit, that it was so dark.
                            Best regards
                            Daniel Harms

Comment

This is my NGX vs NGXu. I don't use any shader tools or HDR. My P3D is v4.5.13.32097
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 1 photos.
                              Thanks, Matt -|- Win 10 Pro, [email protected], Corsair H115i, Asus Strix X299, 32Gb Corsair Vengence, MSI RTX 2080ti, Samsung C49RG90, CH Pedals, Honeycomb Yoke, T16000M Joystick, throttles, VRinsight MCP Combo, XP11, P3Dv5 Pro, MSFS2020 and way too many add-ons to mention! Owned almost every PMDG product since the days of Fly!

Comment

Hi again, Kyle. My main comparison was the the PMDG B737NGX, which has a gray cockpit. Here are 4 pictures, 2 with the House PMDG 737-800NGX and 2 with the House PMDG 737-800NGXu. All pictures are with the exact same scenario (place, time of day (noon), etc.) with all cockpit lighting controls set to zero (off). PC monitor settings are the same throughout, no changes at all.

Again, I am not implying that there is anything wrong with the NGXu. I have no beef with PMDG and really enjoy all your products. There is, however, all things considered, a big difference in the brightness of the panels, especially the overhead. If this is completely due to the style of windows in the NGXu, and this is exactly how real-life pilots experience their real-life cockpits, I will get back to flying and make due with what we have here. Would love your thoughts.

2019-11-9_7-22-48-82.png
                                2019-11-9_7-22-52-347.png
                                2019-11-9_7-29-10-120.png
                                2019-11-9_7-29-25-591.png
                                Last edited by dmiannay; 09Nov2019, 16:07.
                                Doug Miannay (KATL)

Comment

Created an account for this. I would agree the flight deck is a tad on the dark side, I've tried to fly around in different directions/time of day to try to get a better picture like what was commented here.

I only speak from experience as I actually fly the 737NG.
                                  Herb Barrett-King

Comment

+1 the VC is quite dark on my end as well.
                                    Clément Hernandez

Comment

I tried adjusting my monitor but to no success still to dark i have to use the dome light as well .The vc is way to dark.

Brendon Powys
                                      Best regards
                                      Brendon Powys
                                      Johannesburg

Comment

I agree the flight deck is rather dark, however with a little bit of help from REX Environment Force it looks perfectly like the pilot wearing sunglasses.
                                        Using sunglasses the colours are actually quite close! Seeing that the terrain and outside environment in P3D look like you're wearing sunglasses as well I actually get to like this effect from the PMDG cockpit.

Comment

• Ben
                                          Ben commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          only a pilot does not always wear sunglasses.

I also have to confirm that.
                                        I checked the photos I took in the real 737 cockpit (without flash of course) and added it to a screenshot as a comparison:
                                        2019-11-8_14-50-15-92n3k9i.jpg

So it would be really great to make it a bit brighter...
                                        Best regards
                                        Matthias Knüttel

Comment

I agree with this,

With HDR option on the cockpit is quite dark IMO,
                                          I tried to changes the monitor brightness and contrast and setup on NVIDIA CTRL panel but it not make it better.

Regards,
                                          Achmad Ferdi Iskandar (SUB-ID)
                                          System: P3D v4.5, ASUS Maximus V Formula, Intel i7-3770K O/C to 4.7GHz, Noctua NH-U12P SE2, Nvidia GTX 1070
                                          16Gb Corsair Vengeance, Corsair 850W PSU, Win 7 Pro 64-bit, SAITEK Yoke and Throttle, X52 Joystick
                                          Pro Flight™ TPM, Switch Panel, Flight Sim Yoke CH, WDC 1TB, Arma Pixxel+ 27" Curve

Comment

I wonder why it is THAT dark for most of you. You must use some really strong shader mod.
                                            This is how mine looks. As outlined before, quite a sunglass effect, but one can live with it. It's actually pretty similar to what the real one looks like with sunglasses on.
                                            2019-11-9_14-16-36-325.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Emi View Post
                                              I wonder why it is THAT dark for most of you. You must use some really strong shader mod.
                                              Hi Emanuel. If you go back and look, I don't use any shader mods at all. Just stock P3D shaders. The pictures I posted above show how the panels look in both the former 737-800 NGX and the new 737-800 NGXu on my PC. You can clearly see the difference. I didn't have to use shaders to get excellent looking panels in the former B737-800NGX, so am confused why I would now need shaders for the new NGXu version.

I am very happy that you like how the panels look on your PC, but I am not inclined to use shaders to tweak my visuals.
                                              Doug Miannay (KATL)

Comment

Emanuel, what shaders and what are the related setting in P3D do you use?
                                                Vimal Ana

Comment

For those using Tomato Shade, try modifying your profile to use "Uncharted 2 Tonemap".

Capture.PNG
                                                  Alex Pugh

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy View Post
                                                    Emanuel, what shaders and what are the related setting in P3D do you use?
                                                    Mainly REX Environment Force. Plus some tomato, but only very little modification via tomato.

If you don't use shaders try to turn up the brightness in the HDR settings, that should give you quite a boost in the VC.

Comment

• Stormy
                                                      Stormy commented
                                                      Editing a comment
                                                      I think REX does something with the cockpit colors! I don't use rex sadly

Originally posted by AirBadger View Post
                                                    For those using Tomato Shade, try modifying your profile to use "Uncharted 2 Tonemap".

Capture.PNG
                                                    Thank you for that it is quite better now!

Vimal Ana

Comment

Originally posted by Emi View Post

Mainly REX Environment Force. Plus some tomato, but only very little modification via tomato.

If you don't use shaders try to turn up the brightness in the HDR settings, that should give you quite a boost in the VC.
                                                      I originally had HDR off when I switched to P3Dv4 but found that every cockpit and all terrain was much too dark for my taste. After enabling HDR and tweaking some settings I've never had a problem again. Worth a shot I think, if your flight deck looks like some of those pics and you're not using HDR.
                                                      Dan Morand
                                                      i7-7700k OC 4.8, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2

Comment

Just because the NGXu is diiferent doesn't make it wrong.

The NGXu has smaller windows than the NGX. This isn't wrong. It has been corrected to be right.
                                                        Kyle Rodgers
                                                        PMDG Developer Emeritus

Comment

Working...
                                                        X