Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

Unstable performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Robert.
    Tony Fontaine

Comment

Maybe an optional second way of creating VC lighting, like the way it's done in the 747.
      Finn Jacobsen
      PC Spec.: i7 3770 3.4 Ghz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 960 4 GB, Windows 7 Home Edition

Comment

Sadly I am among the ones with poor performance. Sitting at the gate in ORBX ESSA I sometimes dip in the teens where I in the old NGX can get way over 50 FPS. Granted this is during night time with the lights (haven't had the time to do a flight during the day yet). An odd thing for me seems to be the fluctuating nature of the FPS where it practically jumps up and down between high teens and 25 while just sitting and doing nothing.

Do like the bird though but it seems my computer can't handle it (6700K at 4.7, 1080Ti 32Gb RAM).

Comment

Could we have an option not to have Dynamic Lighting in the VC ?
          Alexis Nguyen

Comment

Originally posted by lord_helmet View Post
          Sadly I am among the ones with poor performance. Sitting at the gate in ORBX ESSA I sometimes dip in the teens where I in the old NGX can get way over 50 FPS. Granted this is during night time with the lights (haven't had the time to do a flight during the day yet). An odd thing for me seems to be the fluctuating nature of the FPS where it practically jumps up and down between high teens and 25 while just sitting and doing nothing.

Do like the bird though but it seems my computer can't handle it (6700K at 4.7, 1080Ti 32Gb RAM).
          I was flying ESSA (ORBX) to ENGM yesterday at night, and it was raining in Stockholm. I noticed, the more the windshield is covered in water, the less FPS I have. Maybe there is something wrong with Rainmaker?
          Marek Mysior
          Wrocław, Poland

Comment

Originally posted by lord_helmet View Post

I have a similar setup, clocked at 4.6. It's definitely having a hard time handling the NGXu at night time. Whole different story with the 747 and 777.

Wish there was a way to get the same performance you guys mention having with the original NGX.

Enrique Vaamonde

Comment

For me it's simply flyable.

I got between 30-40FPS with my old system (i7 2700k OC to 4.7GHZ + GTX1070) and this is with all my addon (ORBX, AS, Chaseplane, etc) absolutely flyable.

Yes of course it's heavier than NGX but IMO this is due to the complexity. So I'm happy with the purchase.

Regards,
              Achmad Ferdi Iskandar (SUB-ID)
              System: P3D v4.5, ASUS Maximus V Formula, Intel i7-3770K O/C to 4.7GHz, Noctua NH-U12P SE2, Nvidia GTX 1070
              16Gb Corsair Vengeance, Corsair 850W PSU, Win 7 Pro 64-bit, SAITEK Yoke and Throttle, X52 Joystick
              Pro Flight™ TPM, Switch Panel, Flight Sim Yoke CH, WDC 1TB, Arma Pixxel+ 27" Curve

Comment

Originally posted by ferdiiskandar View Post
                For me it's simply flyable.

I got between 30-40FPS with my old system (i7 2700k OC to 4.7GHZ + GTX1070) and this is with all my addon (ORBX, AS, Chaseplane, etc) absolutely flyable.

Yes of course it's heavier than NGX but IMO this is due to the complexity. So I'm happy with the purchase.

Regards,
                Have You tried at night with landing, taxi and all cockpit lights on ?

I think we all all happy with the new 737NG, but I also think alot will be even happier if the FPS impact due to the lights at dusk, night and dawn could be reduced.
                Last edited by Wothan; 09Nov2019, 15:10.
                Finn Jacobsen
                PC Spec.: i7 3770 3.4 Ghz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 960 4 GB, Windows 7 Home Edition

Comment

Originally posted by evaamo View Post

I have a similar setup, clocked at 4.6. It's definitely having a hard time handling the NGXu at night time. Whole different story with the 747 and 777.

Wish there was a way to get the same performance you guys mention having with the original NGX.
                  Yeh! On the old NG I get around 70fps and same with other PMDG products. Is there a way to possibly disable these Dynamic lights in the VC?

Comment

Originally posted by Wothan View Post

Have You tried at night with landing, taxi and all cockpit lights on ?

I think we all all happy with the new 737NG, but I also think alot will be even happier if the FPS impact due to the lights at dusk, night and dawn could be reduced.
                    As a matter of a fact, I did 2 flight since yesterday between 4-6H.

So yes, I flew at night as well with this aircrfaft and I didn't notice significant FPS drop.

Regards,
                    Achmad Ferdi Iskandar (SUB-ID)
                    System: P3D v4.5, ASUS Maximus V Formula, Intel i7-3770K O/C to 4.7GHz, Noctua NH-U12P SE2, Nvidia GTX 1070
                    16Gb Corsair Vengeance, Corsair 850W PSU, Win 7 Pro 64-bit, SAITEK Yoke and Throttle, X52 Joystick
                    Pro Flight™ TPM, Switch Panel, Flight Sim Yoke CH, WDC 1TB, Arma Pixxel+ 27" Curve

Comment

7 to 15 Fps tatally unflyible. waiting for an update

Maximilino Manzini
                      SAVY

Comment

• jsheldon
                        jsheldon commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Same here - cold and dark old and new versions gives a 15-20fps difference. Back to the hangar for this one

Jonathan Sheldon

I found that when EFB turned on (specially airport charts) it has some effect on fps. Then it turned off, it is smooth again even with rain. My system: 8700K @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 2080 TI.
                      Gregory Verba

Comment

Running an RTX2080Ti with i7-9700K 32GB RAM. I get about 15-20fps lower than NGX on average. EFB is disabled. Becomes unflyable at dusk.
                        Last edited by MeatServo; 09Nov2019, 18:47.
                        ATPL - Class I Instructor - Seaplane - B737 - BE1900D

Comment

Originally posted by mxmanzini View Post
                          7 to 15 Fps tatally unflyible. waiting for an update

Maximilino Manzini
                          SAVY
                          I deactivate all shadows and now i get 40 FPS

Maximiliano Manzini
                          SAVY

Comment

Definitely seeing a performance hit somewhere. Even with EFB off, the NGXu VC tanks my FPS to sub 20's. The 747 performs beautifully around 40 - 50 in VC.

Externally, I do not see any performance issues even when she's lit up like a Christmas tree.

Here's some info on my current setup:
                            • I5-7600k, 16GB DDR4 2400, GTX1050ti, (Not a blazing fast system, but I maintain great performance with the 747).
                            • Fresh install of P3D.
                            • Orbx Global Base.
                            • Active Sky Weather. (No ASCA, just default clouds).
                            • GSX
                            • Running latest version of PTA. (No profiles affecting aircraft). Used for some cloud and scenery visual fixes. I might try again after disabling PTA.
                            • Sitting at Gate 76 at FSDT CYVR, 747 VC is showing average of 40 frames.
                            • Sitting at Gate 76 at FSDT CYVR NGXu VC is showing average 20-25 frames.

I tried disabling some items from the FMC. (Both pilot seats, FO displays). No affect unfortunately.

To be clear I am still really enjoying this aircraft. She's a masterpiece! I will continue to see what else I can find in regards to performance.
                            Sante Sottile - CYVR

Comment

I've enjoyed the NGX for so long and I'd really like to get this updated version. But, the experiences of various people so far who have setups like mine (very high end system) is giving me pause. And, $100 is still $100 (not like I can't afford it though). I've had enough sim purchases that I regretted over the years so I suppose I'm a little gun-shy now.

Still a pretty new release as someone already pointed out so maybe there are tweaks coming. Can anyone from PMDG confirm if they think having dynamic lighting options (on/off) or changes to how that's being implemented are things you'll look at?
                              Dan Morand
                              i7-7700k OC 4.8, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2

Comment

For me, the NGXu has performed about the same as FSL's 320/319. Maybe even a smidge better. I use RTSS to lock my FPS at 1/2 my refresh rate, so my target is 30 FPS. I've been able to hit that in most scenarios in the NGXu even at large airports at night cockpit lighting and external lights on. I'm on a 8700k oc'd to 4.8 and a GTX 1080 running at 1440p. Here are my settings if anyone wants to try them: https://imgur.com/a/jac2eT6
                                Alex Pugh

Comment

Ok, stumbled upon something. Doing a test flight, I noticed half way through the flight that my frames suddenly got much better. (Significant jump and on par with the 747). Little confusing since there wasn't much weather along the way. I though it could be time of day, but that was ruled out when playing with time preview.

My routing was as follows:

CYVR - RICHM6 DCT SEA J5 SUMMA DCT 4230N12050W DCT FRA J7 REBRG IRNMN2 - KLAX

Just thought I'd report my findings so far.

Thank you.
                                  Sante Sottile - CYVR

Comment

I deactivate all shadows and now i get 40 FPS

Maximiliano Manzini
                                    SAVY
                                    Now, in same scenery, same wx condition got 15-20 FPS, its weird.

Maximiliano Manzini
                                    SAVY

Comment

Ive been experiencing the same issue with the NGXu. On the initial load of the aircraft performance is exactly where the 747/77 aircraft were.

After doing some testing of the issue, Ive come to see that performance is cut by almost 50% upon changing views.

Out of those that are experiencing this issue, how many have performance issue on initial loading of the aircraft? and how many are changing views?

Jordan Dawe
                                      Last edited by Dawej; 10Nov2019, 19:51.

Comment

Now, in same scenery, same wx condition got 15-20 FPS, its weird.

Maximiliano Manzini
                                        SAVY
                                        Next time you get really low FPS after you spawn in, try restarting P3D and going into the exact same scenario to see if your FPS improves. Twice now in the NGXu I've had weird occurrences where I'll get 19 FPS, but after restarting P3D, I'll be back up to 30.
                                        Alex Pugh

Comment

Originally posted by Beldwick View Post

I was flying ESSA (ORBX) to ENGM yesterday at night, and it was raining in Stockholm. I noticed, the more the windshield is covered in water, the less FPS I have. Maybe there is something wrong with Rainmaker?
                                          More dots to render - lower performance. Same thing with weather: more clouds - lower performance.
                                          Kyle Rodgers
                                          PMDG Developer Emeritus

Comment

I’ll throw in some of my experiences.

At DD and FlyTampa airports I’ll get 22ish FPS parked at the gate on the NGXu. This compares to the low 30s FPS I get on the 777 and 747 at those same airports. Sometimes on approach the NGXu will momentarily drop to 15 and then go back to 20-22. Annoying but flyable even if only just.

At flightbeam airports I’ll get frames in the low 30s just like the 777 and 747. No change in FPS on departure and arrival either. Very enjoyable to fly.

So for me it seems the NGXu is either on-par or sub-par with the 777 and 747 depending on the airport. This is consistent across a range of weather conditions and time of day.

I’ve messed around with my settings as best as I could. I could not gain any performance beyond two FPS as my settings are already configured to give me the best performance for my computer.
                                            James Ward

Comment

My experience is a bit of an oddball compared to many posters in this thread.
                                              Granted my system is quite beefy: but whereas the NGXu performs flawless in VC at ORBX ESSA with ALL bells and whistles in 4K resolution:
                                              • landing lights / taxi + turnoff
                                              • internal flood lights
                                              • Both EFB's online
                                              • Tomatoshade + Reshade (you can never make me abandon these two!)
                                              I do experience small stutters in spot view at cruising altitude of all places. Haven't had that happen in P3D in a long time. I have played with the Dynamic reflection slider but that did not make a difference, same with disablling Reshade.

Just an odd behavior, since spotview tends to be quite gentle to FPS compared to an advanced VC
                                              FYI, The 744 with full PBR doesn't stutter in spot view.

All in all, not a big deal for me, just wanted to share my symptoms.

Best regards, Niklas Fridell | YouTube Channel

Comment

As nice as dynamic cockpit lights are, I wish they'd left them out/given the option.

They're too hungry for P3D's crappy way of light rendering.
                                                Rudy Fidao

Comment

Also experiencing the same frustration. VC flood lights look amazing. But that combined with landing lights in a night approach makes the flight go down to 12 FPS, when usually its stable at 25-30. It kills the flight.

ive been playing around with all sort of system tweaks, but what normally is a stable and smooth sim with all other pmdg birds, and flabs, the nxgu drops significantly in performance.

Isi Attie.

Comment

Gents,

We are collecting a bunch of data on this topic but no clear trends have emerged yet.

We are looking at a wide array of potential issues, mostly related to some kind of interaction in HDR/dynamic lighting and the method we use to keep HDR from blowing out the floodlight coloration in the VC.

This is pure guesswork based on no actual experimentation- it is derived only from reading through threads like this and trying to find common threads to weave into something solid.

We'll keep analyizing, you guys keep giving us feedback on it.

Robert S. Randazzo
                                                    PMDG Simulations
                                                    http://www.pmdg.com

Comment

My experiences so far. One night landing at KMSP (no dynamic lighting activated at the airport). Approach performance was normal for my system (20's-30's) but as soon as the 737 touched down, my performance dropped to single digit FPS with big pauses/stutters. This continued until I turned off the runway and began taxiing to the gate. I went through the normal after landing checks (landing lights off, runway turn-offs, etc) and performance returned to normal (mid to high 20's) and it was smooth. On a second flight, I landed at KSFO (no dynamic lighting at the airport) during dusk and heavy weather (low clouds/fog). The arrival was smooth and as soon as I touched down, the same thing happened with single digit FPS and pauses/stutters. It was difficult to taxi and as I entered the taxiway, I turned off the landing lights, strobe, etc and performance returned to normal. Anyway, hope this helps.

Specs: Windows 7-64 Bit
                                                      Intel i7-4790K @ 4.5 Ghz/16 GB RAM/nVidia GTX 1080
                                                      P3D v4.5 w/HF2.
                                                      Last edited by Griff; 11Nov2019, 02:29.
                                                      Chad Griffin

Comment

Very interesting. I flew from KSFO to KLAS. I turned off the taxi/turnoff lights then turned on the landings lights for takeoff and performance was very good. Reversed it at KLAS and turned off landing lights then turned on taxi/turnoff after exiting the runway and it was very smooth. I used to heavy addons (Flightbeam and Flytampa) with about 40% UTlive traffic. Can someone try this and report back?
                                                        Tony Fontaine

Comment

First of all I want to say that this aircraft is an absolute masterpiece, congrats on that!

Unfortunately performance is an absolute nightmare, I dont have a high end pc but I always managed to run PMDG aircrafts quite smoothly (as my settings are medium to low in some regards) but with the NGXu I cant fly to any of my sceneries as the performance makes it unfliable.. This is all during daylight, didnt have tye courage to try it out during night time yet :P

So I guess its default airports only for the time being.
                                                          Raoul Disteldorff,

Comment

Working...
                                                          X