Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

Unstable performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unstable performance

Hello PMDG, nice product!
    I think you trolled us all with your posts yestrerday.

I have bought the 737 NGXu and it works pretty well.

My only doubt is.. The performance.
    Sometimes the fps is very good, but often very bad and undstable- Problem occur mostly in the VC. External views is no problem!

This is very strange because im getting really good FPS on the old 737 NGX, but even on the 747 and 777 i get exelent performance!

BRGRDS

Alexander

My first thought: Try to reset your shader cache.
    Andre Blossfeld

Comment

Have done that prior to install 737 NGXu, but im not getting any improvements..
      Do somebody experience the same problem?

Comment

• Erkas
        Erkas commented
        Editing a comment
        Same problem on my new 737NGXU, I tried all default tests such as delete(all shaders,tomatoshade whatever..) still continue... outside is 35-50 fps, when use VC ..fps suddenly down 13-16.. even at default airports.

The same happened to me ... the FPS fluctuates. I have mine locked at 30fps, usually on the FSLABS (which is the worst performing a/c in my fleet) I rarely drop below that near MMMX (using T2G Mexico City scenery). Tonight I took off using the NGXu at max fps (30) and after some time it started to drop to 24-27 and it felt (I hate to describe this using an "emotion" to an otherwise computer/math situation) like "heavy"/laggy.

Anyway, great aircraft tho'.
      Enrique Vaamonde

Comment

Count me in.

On my system the plane is borderline unusable. 80fps outside, 60fps inside in C&D, and about 20 when powered on. Drops even lower at night.
        Dmitriy Kozyrev -- i7-6700 / GTX 960 4GB / 16GB / Win10 1903

Comment

It's certainly heavier than any other PMDG, I dropped into the teens departing DFW in clear weather and daylight. For perspective the Fslabs A320 which is often regarded as heavy barely drops below 30fps in the same scenario. Even though it was one of the lowest frame rates I've seen in P3DV4 it was still pretty smooth. FPS when just sitting on the end of the runway powered on with landing lights on was high 30's low 40's. Old NGX rarely drops below 40.
          Tim Smith

Comment

Just to clarify, i get excellent FPS in all other PMDG aircraft!

Comment

Gents,

NGXu is actually dramatically less expensive than the 747 or 777. When we have seen performance issues in testing, it has almost always been traced back to something else that the tester was using on top of the sim that was creating problems of it's own and thus tipping the whole thing over. Shaders, preciptation packages and camera packages tend to be the primary offenders- and usually once removed the problem cleared, and once isolated didn't generally return.

You will likely need to experiment a bit to figure out what the trigger issue is. Keep us posted though- we can share knowledge and will most certainly find it together.

Robert S. Randazzo
              PMDG Simulations
              http://www.pmdg.com

Comment

The only performance issue I'm getting is dynamic lighting (at night with landing lights on) I bought a 1080ti for that last year but the same problem is back again. No shader/cam programs etc. Just utlive and active sky. Are there different landing lights we could try?

Tony Fontaine
                Tony Fontaine

Comment

Got the same issue. Very low performance. Lower than the rest of the add ons. I’ll try resetting the shaders. But it was at dusk. Gets worse with landing lights and cockpit flood lights.

Isi Attie

Comment

It’s the dynamic lights there using in the NGXu. The other PMDG aircraft VC lights were textured based. This why it’s so bad at night. For now I don’t use the cockpit floods.
                    Dan Moore

Comment

please make sure to update your video card drivers if there are updates pending. the last update with some small tweaks in the NVIDIA 3D settings gave me 10-15 FPS depending on the airplane..
                      i7-6700k, GTX 1080TI, 32GB DDR4 RAM @1600MHz, 4k

Comment

Originally posted by Ephedrin View Post
                        please make sure to update your video card drivers if there are updates pending. the last update with some small tweaks in the NVIDIA 3D settings gave me 10-15 FPS depending on the airplane..
                        Which magical settings gave you such a large increase? Latest drivers are not always the best.
                        Dan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Wise87 View Post

Which magical settings gave you such a large increase? Latest drivers are not always the best.
                          They definitely aren't you're right..,. but this driver did it for me. Please keep in mind, that I have a different system but I always do completely new installations of video drivers (no express instal) and then in the NVIDIA Control Panel - 3D settings I choose P3D and simply activate all "maximum/high performance" settings available, turn off AA-Transparency and set negative LOD bias to clamp. You might need to play a little but at least you don't have to restart your P3D anymore every time you make a change.. the effects kick in almost immediately, maybe a few seconds to wait.
                          i7-6700k, GTX 1080TI, 32GB DDR4 RAM @1600MHz, 4k

Comment

I have found a few things that dramatically help performance for me at least in the VC. Lowering the ND and PFD refresh rate helps a lot. I've set it to 12 but will try bumping it to 15 and slowly increase from there. Also turning the EFB off when not in use does make a difference.
                            Darren Klenk

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaMikeKilo View Post
                              I have found a few things that dramatically help performance for me at least in the VC. Lowering the ND and PFD refresh rate helps a lot. I've set it to 12 but will try bumping it to 15 and slowly increase from there. Also turning the EFB off when not in use does make a difference.
                              When you say "turning it off", do you mean pressing the power button or actually disabling it from the FMC options menu?

Eric England
                              Eric England

Comment

• DeltaMikeKilo
                                DeltaMikeKilo commented
                                Editing a comment
                                No just powering it off. Depends on what you have on there though. The moving airport map sucks a few frames, the cabin cameras (as expected) many more. Most other things the perf hit is negligible

Guys just like RSRandazzo said check ur system, i have a mid system and the ngxu runs better than all my other addons 747, fslabs even at night with dynamic lighhting on my frames are stable im amazed how smooth it is

Brendon powys
                              Best regards
                              Brendon Powys
                              Johannesburg

Comment

FPS is great on my rig and you can see my specs below
                                Angus Rowlands i7 8700, RTX 2080, 16GB Ram, Windows 10 Home. 737,777,747,DC6

Comment

I have discovered something very strange.
                                  When im pausing the simulation. i get EXCELLENT FPS, but when im starting the sim again, it sinks...

Please help me..

Comment

• Michael Codd
                                    Michael Codd commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    I think this is a Win 10 issue, because I have been seeing similar behaviour when using other programs than P3D on my PC and it usually happens after it has gone into sleep mode.

Guys, try next, night environment, dynamic light enabled airport, turn on lights on the aircraft, inside and out and report.
                                  Ivan Majetic

Comment

• MattSweet
                                    MattSweet commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    About 15 fps. The panel lights look absolutely fantastic, but it's a total dog.

Definetly the EFB that causes performance issues on my machine. With it off it performs like the other PMDG aircrafts.

Edit: Should mention I fly VR. It seems different rules apply sometimes with VR vs. monitor so it's probably best to mention that.

Summary: Daytime - EFB on causes a drop, without them on it perfoms similar to the 747. Nighttime - Dynamic lights, especially VC floods causes a hit. With the VC floods off, my initial impression is that it's still worse than the 747, e.g., with landing lights, taxi, and runway on. I have to reduce the number of lights and just "pretend" they're on.

Equipment is a 6700k @4.5 and a 1070, latest driver
                                  Last edited by AndreH; 09Nov2019, 10:09.
                                  André Hansson

Comment

Originally posted by AndreH View Post
                                    Definetly the EFB that causes performance issues on my machine. With it off it performs like the other PMDG aircrafts.
                                    Confirm the EFB causes my fps dropping a bit
                                    Alexis Nguyen

Comment

For me, enabling or disabling the EFB (via the CDU or by shutting it down) makes no difference at all.
                                      Flood light is the biggest performance killer. Lowering refresh rate of the displays helps a little.
                                      But all in all this plane performs two to three times slower than the 748 (which has a superb performance on my system).

Comment

Flood lights are dynamic lights. Dynamic lights bouncing off a complex flight deck is going to cause a hit.
                                        Kyle Rodgers
                                        PMDG Developer Emeritus

Comment

Originally posted by krodgers View Post
                                          Flood lights are dynamic lights. Dynamic lights bouncing off a complex flight deck is going to cause a hit.
                                          Yeah, I know. Just saying that Robert's statement re the NGXu being dramatically less expensive than the 744/748 is not entirely correct.

But hey, it's just the first release. Maybe you guys will find a way to further optimize the performance. For now I'm forced to not use the flood lights, unless I want to see a slideshow.

Comment

Also after checking, fps is dropping fast when landing lights are on
                                            Alexis Nguyen

Comment

Originally posted by dimkzr View Post

Yeah, I know. Just saying that Robert's statement re the NGXu being dramatically less expensive than the 744/748 is not entirely correct.

But hey, it's just the first release. Maybe you guys will find a way to further optimize the performance. For now I'm forced to not use the flood lights, unless I want to see a slideshow.
                                              Depends on your setup and selected settings (and even your driver version for whatever card you have).

The 747 and 777 also don't have DL in the flight deck.
                                              Kyle Rodgers
                                              PMDG Developer Emeritus

Comment

Originally posted by blueng View Post
                                                Also after checking, fps is dropping fast when landing lights are on
                                                As it will when you use DL in any simulation.
                                                Kyle Rodgers
                                                PMDG Developer Emeritus

Comment

Further testing at night. Seems as if it's just the landing lights. Floods/taxi and turnoff lights don't cause a performance hit for me. I tried one panel/pedestal light at a time. Turn on landing lights it's not smooth. I'm using a 1080ti with newest driver.
                                                  Tony Fontaine

Comment

Gents,

Digesting what you guys have reported in this thread, I suspect we are seeing some interplay between dynamic lighting sources in the scenery, the airplane external model and the internal model.

Like all things, this may take a bit of time to find a balance of what works on your particular hardware. Whether you have intel, Nvidia, radeon, will make a difference in how the machine can handle certain combinations, which largely explains why some users have one experience and other users have another.

We are collecting data on this topic, and while we aren't seeing anything that honestly concerns me from a developer standpoint, that doens't mean we won't pursue ways to improve performance if we can identify a specific factor or combination that creates a problem...

So keep talking to us.

Robert S. Randazzo
                                                    PMDG Simulations
                                                    http://www.pmdg.com

Comment

Working...
                                                    X