Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

What do I need to do when PFD displays arm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do I need to do when PFD displays arm

I was wondering if this is correct. Arm the speed brakes (not sure what position that is in) and move the throttle all the way back to IDLE I looked for what this means but having trouble finding it
    Dean Salman

It means exactly nothing. As long as you don't pull reverse nothing will happen if you simply retard the thrust levers.

Comment

Thanks Emi That helps. It seems to come on a lot, first retard, then arm however I generally reduce the thrust level when slowing down even through auto throttle is on and all the way back before touchdown.
      Last edited by dsalman1; 07Jan2022, 16:03.
      Dean Salman

Comment

Ok, you're confusing something here. The FMA "ARM" indication is something entirely different than I though you're talking about. I thought you were talking about the Speedbrake ARM mode.
        ARM indicates the A/T is not currently doing anything, but it's ready to help you out if you need it.
        It is the standard mode for the A/T once it has set the target thrust if it gives away authority to the pilot.
        So let's say you are in cruise and initiate a descend in VNAV on the path. It'll then go RETARD to tell you that it's closing the thrust levers. Once they're closed it goes into ARM to tell you that the A/T is ready to engage, but doing nothing. Such an engagement could happen ie because of a developing underspeed situation. You'd have A/T protection available in this case, aka the A/T would add thrust to prevent you from reaching stall speed.
        However it does not demand a certain thrust setting. You want to move the thrust levers? You can, it'll keep them where you leave them.

Comment

Thanks for that explanation, Emi. I wasn't aware that the ARM A/T mode would allow me to freely adjust the throttle while providing underspeed protection. I always thought that it was just an idle thrust mode.
          Tim Lincoln
          My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Want2BFlyin View Post
            Thanks for that explanation, Emi. I wasn't aware that the ARM A/T mode would allow me to freely adjust the throttle while providing underspeed protection. I always thought that it was just an idle thrust mode.
            This would be similar to HOLD mode on the 747 and 777.
            Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

One of our instructors likes to say "if the FMA says ARM, your arm is what's moving the levers".
              Joe Diamond

Comment

I think I have just been getting lucky all of this time. I have been bringing my throttle back to idle when the A/T does so at the top of climb, so that by the time ARM is displayed, my throttle is already at idle. I am quite sure that I would have been very confused if the power went back up after going to idle because I had left the throttle at a higher power position.
                Tim Lincoln
                My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by Want2BFlyin View Post
                  I think I have just been getting lucky all of this time. I have been bringing my throttle back to idle when the A/T does so at the top of climb, so that by the time ARM is displayed, my throttle is already at idle. I am quite sure that I would have been very confused if the power went back up after going to idle because I had left the throttle at a higher power position.
                  If you didn't touch your throttle at any point after it went to ARM mode, nothing would happen unless you had a hardware spike, in which case you already have a problem with your hardware in the first place. It would be the same thing as the people who were having the thrust suddenly reduce during take-off because they didn't push their throttles up to full power after they hit TOGA and it went into HOLD mode after 80 knots. So, good practice to bring the throttles back as you start your descent.
                  Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Kevin View Post
                    If you didn't touch your throttle at any point after it went to ARM mode, nothing would happen unless you had a hardware spike, in which case you already have a problem with your hardware in the first place. It would be the same thing as the people who were having the thrust suddenly reduce during take-off because they didn't push their throttles up to full power after they hit TOGA and it went into HOLD mode after 80 knots. So, good practice to bring the throttles back as you start your descent.
                    Since the A/T on Boeing aircraft actually manipulates the throttle position, I try to manually mimic the position of the simulator throttles with my hardware. Especially during takeoff/climb and descent/landing. The increase in power that I mentioned would most likely have been due to me leaving the physical throttles set to a high power position after the A/T brought the simulated throttles to idle for the descent. Then if I happen to move the physical throttles for any reason (eg. bumping one of the throttle handles) it may have caused the engines to spool up again. Now I know to expect that behavior, whereas before I would have wondered why the A/T had disengaged and spent unnecessary time trying to figure that out.

I have actually already gone through the process of doing "unnecessary" troubleshooting for a different issue when I kept having the autopilot trip off for some reason that I couldn't figure out, and that turned out to be because I was bumping the trim wheel on the Honeycomb Beta Throttle quadrant with my knee. I think that my misunderstanding of the A/T ARM mode would have been a bit more difficult to figure out if I was not already in the habit of bringing my physical throttle to idle when the A/T does so at the top of climb.
                    Tim Lincoln
                    My YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by dsalman1 View Post
                      I was wondering if this is correct. Arm the speed brakes (not sure what position that is in) and move the throttle all the way back to IDLE I looked for what this means but having trouble finding it
                      People need to get used to consulting the FCOM whenever there's something they want to know. It's all in there. Chapter 4 Automatic Flight

Captura de pantalla 2022-01-12 151710.jpg
                      Omar Josef
                      737 FO
                      757/767 rated
                      Spain

Comment

Thanks for the post, Omar. What I need to do is start printing the key pages of the manual and put these in my notebook
                        Last edited by dsalman1; 13Jan2022, 04:23.
                        Dean Salman

Comment

Agree with Omar manual is the key.
                          Danny Z.Cebis

Comment

Originally posted by dsalman1 View Post
                            Thanks for the post, Omar. What I need to do is start printing the key pages of the manual and put these in my notebook
                            It's too big to print and everything in it is important. Keep it on the computer or on your phone and use the search function of the PDF. It's also a good idea to skim through it to at least understand the basic structure of an FCOM and to get an idea of everything you could find in it whenever you have a question. Know what chapters are there and get familiar with the index.
                            Omar Josef
                            737 FO
                            757/767 rated
                            Spain

Comment

Working...
                            X