Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

BLEED TRIP OFF during the "pack off" takeoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BLEED TRIP OFF during the "pack off" takeoff

Hi all,
    I have a question about the 737.

I took of today with a rather full plane so I have decided for a "packs off" takeoff. During the takeoff roll, I recieved the "Bleed Trip Off" master caution, hence I have rejected and by QRH pressed the "Trip reset" button - the light extinguished, checklist done. I lined up for another try - and again (this time I just ignored it). It was rather hot outside (33 degrees).

My question is - is this a usual (or at least expected, given the conditions) thing? Should I not use the "packs off" takeoff at hot weather? Is there something to prevent this? Finally - is this a reason to reject the takeoff (apriori it should be - it is a master caution, right?)

Thanks, Jan

Jan Vysoký

How fast were you going when the warning came up. Looking at another website, somebody said above 80 knots and prior to V1, you would only stop for fire or fire warning, engine failure, predictive windshear warning, or if the Captain doesn't think the plane's going to fly, so it sounds like if you were above 80 knots, this wouldn't be a reason to reject the take-off.
    Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

Originally posted by vysous View Post
      Hi all,
      I have a question about the 737.

I took of today with a rather full plane so I have decided for a "packs off" takeoff. During the takeoff roll, I recieved the "Bleed Trip Off" master caution, hence I have rejected and by QRH pressed the "Trip reset" button - the light extinguished, checklist done. I lined up for another try - and again (this time I just ignored it). It was rather hot outside (33 degrees).

My question is - is this a usual (or at least expected, given the conditions) thing? Should I not use the "packs off" takeoff at hot weather? Is there something to prevent this? Finally - is this a reason to reject the takeoff (apriori it should be - it is a master caution, right?)

Thanks, Jan

Hi.

This is a rather nuisance warning that is more likely to happen on a bleeds-off takeoff. It is caused by an over pressure sensed at the bleed air valve which trips the valve off. When reducing the power and doing a trip reset this warning will most likely immediately be reset. Below 80 knots you should stop for any reason including this issue, however it is likely to happen on any of your bleeds off takeoffs so if you are aware of this light coming on it is probably safe to just continue your takeoff. When configuring your pressurization panel after departure and running your non normal checklist (trip reset) the fault should clear.
      Balint

Comment

There's no such thing like packs-off takeoff on 737. Incorrect aircraft configuration was likely the cause of the master caution. Please share how did you configure aircraft for takeoff.

Pack trip off is rather common issue on 737, especially during engine start in hot conditions. Only way to prevent the issue it provide cooled air so temperature in duct won't exceed 90degrees celsius *.
        As Balint said, you should reject takeoff below 80 kts for any reason (for example master caution light comes on) and above 80 only if engine fire/failure or aircraft is unable or unsafe to fly (up to your interpretation what unable or unsafe means).

Worth reading: http://www.b737.org.uk/airconditioning.htm
        Last edited by Dzosef; 19Feb2021, 00:41.
        Matthew Chalupniczak

Comment

I believe you intended to do a no bleed take-off
          Regards,
          Eric Hill

Comment

What you wanted to do was, I believe, Engine Bleeds off, Apu on, Apu bleed on, packs on/auto, isolation valve open. This is from memory, could be I mix it up with other aircraft, but I believe that‘s how it‘s done. Packs off is 747.
            Ryzen 9 5900X, RX 6900XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM @3600MHz, 4k
            Marc Eland
            GFO Beta

Comment

Originally posted by Dzosef View Post
              There's no such thing like packs-off takeoff on 737. Incorrect aircraft configuration was likely the cause of the master caution. Please share how did you configure aircraft for takeoff.

Pack trip off is rather common issue on 737, especially during engine start in hot conditions. Only way to prevent the issue it provide cooled air so temperature in duct won't exceed 90degrees celsius *.
              As Balint said, you should reject takeoff below 80 kts for any reason (for example master caution light comes on) and above 80 only if engine fire/failure or aircraft is unable or unsafe to fly (up to your interpretation what unable or unsafe means).

Worth reading: http://www.b737.org.uk/airconditioning.htm
              And this is precisely the reason why there are type ratings, right? :-)) I got the warning under 80, so definitely I should have stopped.
              Jan Vysoký

Comment

Originally posted by Ephedrin View Post
                What you wanted to do was, I believe, Engine Bleeds off, Apu on, Apu bleed on, packs on/auto, isolation valve open. This is from memory, could be I mix it up with other aircraft, but I believe that‘s how it‘s done. Packs off is 747.
                Yeah, you are almost right, except (see FCOM SP 2.7) the isolation valve should be closed. But thanks anyway - I did it wrong aaaaall the time (I just turned off the packs, as you would do on A320, for example). This is the downside of flying so many different types
                Jan Vysoký

Comment

• Ephedrin
                  Ephedrin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Haha thx...

If you follow the FCOM Supplementary Procedure for the No Engine Bleed Takeoff and Landing it won't happen again. Be careful during the after take off part of the procedure and do every step slowly to avoid discomfort (Changing bleed source in flight in the real airplane makes a pop).
                Omar Josef
                737 FO
                757/767 rated
                Spain

Comment

Originally posted by Aeromar View Post
                  If you follow the FCOM Supplementary Procedure for the No Engine Bleed Takeoff and Landing it won't happen again. Be careful during the after take off part of the procedure and do every step slowly to avoid discomfort (Changing bleed source in flight in the real airplane makes a pop).
                  I did see it one or two times in the PMDG BBJ when taking off at high altitude airports like Quito or Jackson Hole though when using the 27k bump and a No Engine Bleed takeoff.
                  Never had it in real life but maybe there's a difference between our 26k engines and the 27k bump engines.

Anyway Jan, if you know it's coming you can anticipate it and cancel the warning, reset the system in the air and keep going. Personally I have a feeling the NGXu might be a bit oversensitive, but as my airline has different engine ratings and we don't fly to high altitude airports I can not make any definitive comment as to whether you might expect this or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Emi View Post

I did see it one or two times in the PMDG BBJ when taking off at high altitude airports like Quito or Jackson Hole though when using the 27k bump and a No Engine Bleed takeoff.
                    Never had it in real life but maybe there's a difference between our 26k engines and the 27k bump engines.

Anyway Jan, if you know it's coming you can anticipate it and cancel the warning, reset the system in the air and keep going. Personally I have a feeling the NGXu might be a bit oversensitive, but as my airline has different engine ratings and we don't fly to high altitude airports I can not make any definitive comment as to whether you might expect this or not.
                    I did a couple no bleeds takeoffs during line training and I don't remember master cautions.
                    Omar Josef
                    737 FO
                    757/767 rated
                    Spain

Comment

Originally posted by Aeromar View Post

I did a couple no bleeds takeoffs during line training and I don't remember master cautions.
                      On our fleet I did a couple as well already and never got master cautions, but since we don't have the 27k bump, which I could imagine to play a role here, I don't really want to comment on that part.

Comment

I am having this issue right now. on the engine 2 bleed.. The only way I can remedy it and get rid of the bleed trip warning is to shut off the bleed for Forums in flight.. How can I fix this?
                        Jason Saucier

Comment

It's not real uncommon for us to do a bleeds off takeoff, especially full out of Maui or Lihue. Typically these will be 27k bump takeoffs in an -800, since our priority order for achieving good takeoff data is to use bleeds off as a last resort, so we'll bump the thrust first. (They're usually flaps 25 as well.) I've never once seen a master caution associated with the procedure.

My teaching slogan for high-speed abort reasons has always been "fire, failure, shear or fear." (Fear being any concern that the airplane may not fly.)
                          Andrew Crowley

Comment

Originally posted by Stearmandriver View Post
                            My teaching slogan for high-speed abort reasons has always been "fire, failure, shear or fear." (Fear being any concern that the airplane may not fly.)
                            Shear being windshear or something else.
                            Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

Originally posted by Stearmandriver View Post
                            It's not real uncommon for us to do a bleeds off takeoff, especially full out of Maui or Lihue. Typically these will be 27k bump takeoffs in an -800, since our priority order for achieving good takeoff data is to use bleeds off as a last resort, so we'll bump the thrust first. (They're usually flaps 25 as well.) I've never once seen a master caution associated with the procedure.

What about all the numerous flights out of PHX where it stays so hot.. And its not sea level.. Do you guys do packs off takeoffs there ?
                            Jason Saucier

Comment

• DDowns
                              DDowns commented
                              Editing a comment
                              PHX has long runways, neither PHOG nor PHLI do. Just a couple thousand feet makes a difference.

• Stearmandriver
                              Stearmandriver commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yeah like Dan said, long runways there. It might happen sometimes, I can't remember if I've personally ever done it. This isn't some sort of noteworthy abnormal procedure or anything, just a normal procedure you'll do when the takeoff data requires it. It's not super common, but there's nothing special about it.
                          Working...
                          X