Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

No FDs on the PFD and PFD on FOs side blank/not aligned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No FDs on the PFD and PFD on FOs side blank/not aligned

Just took off from LECO and after takeoff when I was about to engage CMD A I noticed how all of a sudden I no longer had any FDs on the PFD. Even when it clearly says FD on the PFD. Looking at the PFD on the FO's side, it's blank like you would see it before the IRSes are aligned.

I've tried to recycle the FDs but to no avail. I've also checked for failures but there are none.

With about 3.5 h to my destination, I'm not exactly tempted to hand-fly all the way. Since I can't engage the AP with no FDs for the AP to follow...

Anyone else seen the same thing or can advice how to handle this situation or what I might have missed?

This is what it looks like

2023-01-15 20_35_02-Microsoft Flight Simulator - 1.29.30.0.jpg
    Richard Åsberg

The first thing I saw Richard was the ATT and MAP alerts, also note the FMC R is missing from the FO ND. Check the FMC switches to make sure they are normal, and then check that both GPS and IRS are functional. Did you have a power failure when you disconnected ground power?
    Dan Downs KCRP
    i7-10700K 32GB 3600MHz 3080Ti

Comment

Already checked all the switches and everything was fine when I took off. All this happened shortly after takeoff.

Really odd and guess not much I can do other than quitting this flight and see this as a one time only type of thing...hopefully.

Thanks anyway.
      Richard Åsberg

Comment

Looks like a right IRS failure. What were both IRS status? No FD bars on PFD show some kind of failure?
        Last edited by Falcon99; 16Jan2023, 04:03.
        George Morris

Comment

The IRS status was fine and again, on the ground and before takeoff, everything was normal.

A failure of some kind for sure but strange why I had no failures according to the failures page in the FMC.

Oh well, hopefully nothing I'll see again and never saw this before after thousands of hours in the 73.
          Richard Åsberg

Comment

WebMaximus this is exactly what has just happened to me. No failure or abnormal indication beside what show the PFD and the ND on the FO side (exactly as per the picture above).

However I had a power failure before pushback because I disconnected the GPU accidently before starting the APU. Can power failure impact the IRS operations?

DDowns mentioned that the GPS and the IRS need to be checked.

- How to do that?
            - Is the ATT indication on the PFD/ND the only sign of some kind of IRS failure?
            - Is there any way to recover and return back to normal situation?
            - In case of no recovery possible, Is there any way to use the AP (I had to fly manually the emergency diversion on Vatsim)?

Samer Haj
            Last edited by Samhaho; 20Jan2023, 21:08.

Comment

Good to hear others seen the same thing. As for being caused by a power failure, I like to think you would then see the issue right away? Rather than after you already took off.

Haven't seen this happen again.
              Richard Åsberg

Comment

Originally posted by Samhaho View Post
                WebMaximus this is exactly what has just happened to me. No failure or abnormal indication beside what show the PFD and the ND on the FO side (exactly as per the picture above).

However I had a power failure before pushback because I disconnected the GPU accidently before starting the APU. Can power failure impact the IRS operations?

DDowns mentioned that the GPS and the IRS need to be checked.

- How to do that?
                - Is the ATT indication on the PFD/ND the only sign of some kind of IRS failure?
                - Is there any way to recover and return back to normal situation?
                - In case of no recovery possible, Is there any way to use the AP (I had to fly manually the emergency diversion on Vatsim)?

Samer Haj
                I asked about the power interruption for a reason. Your IRS units have different power sources, so when you pull the plug and loose AC then you have to reset an IRS unit by turning it off for a minute then go through the initialization again.

You can check the GPS with the FMS, one of the POSITION pages gives you what each IRS and GPS is providing for location.

The primary attitude information comes from the IRS, you loose IRS you no longer have attitude information (except for backup) and the PFD indicates this with the ATT alert.

I suspect you took off with this condition, it didn't happen during flight. At least I can't think of any scenario where this would happen in flight other than equipment failure. It is not possible to align the 737 IRS in flight because the aircraft has to be stationary. You can still use it to provide heading information but you are not going to have the AFDS available.
                Dan Downs KCRP

Comment

Originally posted by WebMaximus View Post
                  Good to hear others seen the same thing. As for being caused by a power failure, I like to think you would then see the issue right away? Rather than after you already took off.

Haven't seen this happen again.

Just to share, searching further I figured out how to try recovering in the case of failure of a single IRS :
                  1- Switch both PFD/ND on the remaining functional IRS using the switch "IRS" in the navigation part which is in the left/mid part (not the left/top side) of the overhead panel. This way FD and AP can now operate [EDIT: This is not sure, maybe a single IRS is not enough for AP to operates - to check]
                  2- Turn the IRS switch to ATT position (instead of Nav position), few seconds later a message displays on the FMC requesting "set heading", enter the heading value and the failed IRS get aligned.

I tested both. They work fine. Learning every day...

Samer Haj
                  Last edited by Samhaho; 20Jan2023, 22:38.

Comment

Just to share, searching further I figured out how to try recovering in the case of failure of a single IRS :
                    1- Switch both PFD/ND on the remaining functional IRS using the switch "IRS" in the navigation part which is in the left/mid part (not the left/top side) of the overhead panel. This way FD and AP can now operate
                    2- Turn the IRS switch to ATT position (instead of Nav position), few seconds later a message displays on the FMC requesting "set heading", enter the heading value and the failed IRS get aligned.

I tested both. They work fine. Learning every day...

Samer Haj
                    The ability to switch flight instruments between left and right is a backup but it doesn't recover the IRS, which can only be used to provide heading information while airborne. Heading only means there is no position, attitude or speed information from that unit.

According to QRH this partial capability requires that aircraft be held straight and level while setting the heading.

Also according to QRH, when the IRS transfer switch is either BOTH ON L or BOTH ON R the A/P cannot be engaged. Are you claiming that you were able to use the A/P?? If true then that deserves a bug report.
                    Dan Downs KCRP

Comment

When I saw this, I'm positive things were normal before I took off. Wouldn't have taken off in this state and nothing you miss when scanning everything is looking good before setting thrust.

At first, I was positive it was a random failure but as mentioned, no failures active when I checked.
                      ​​​​​​
                      Really odd but at the same time a bit cool having unexpected things happening like that.
                      Richard Åsberg

Comment

Originally posted by WebMaximus View Post
                        When I saw this, I'm positive things were normal before I took off. Wouldn't have taken off in this state and nothing you miss when scanning everything is looking good before setting thrust.

At first, I was positive it was a random failure but as mentioned, no failures active when I checked.
                        ​​​​​​
                        Really odd but at the same time a bit cool having unexpected things happening like that.
                        I don't doubt your word, but I questioned this point because you didn't state that you reset the IRS after the power interruption.
                        Dan Downs KCRP

Comment

Originally posted by DDowns View Post

I don't doubt your word, but I questioned this point because you didn't state that you reset the IRS after the power interruption.
                          I didn't have a power interruption, it was the other guy seeing the same thing happening.
                          Richard Åsberg

Comment

• DDowns
                            DDowns commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Oops.... okay. Doing too many things at a time LOL

According to QRH this partial capability requires that aircraft be held straight and level while setting the heading.

Also according to QRH, when the IRS transfer switch is either BOTH ON L or BOTH ON R the A/P cannot be engaged. Are you claiming that you were able to use the A/P?? If true then that deserves a bug report.
                          I had edited my post above to caution about AP operation with a single IRS. However here are the results of my tests. Please note that I have simulated the IRS failure by positioning the switch to OFF but this may not be an accurate simulation. Here is what I observed:

With the PMDG/MSFS

- Indeed FD/AP do not operate with a single IRS regardless the IRS switch position ("Both to the left" or "Normal")
                          - ATT recovery did not work (I kept the aircraft in a level and straight position for several minutes), never got the message "set the heading" although the "aligned" light illuminated during the attempt. I tried to enter the heading directly on the little keyboard next to the IRS module but typing on this keyboard did nothing.

With X-Plane/Zibo

- FD/AP do operate with a single IRS aligned. Which as you mentioned it is not the "expected" behavior
                          - The ATT recovery works as expected

It doesn't look like any of those two B737 simulates single IRS failure accurately, or I am not doing the test correctly

Samer Haj
                          Last edited by Samhaho; 21Jan2023, 17:54.

Comment

• DDowns
                            DDowns commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'm putting test ATT mode on my list of things to do.... thanks. Alternatively, you can submit a bug report at support.pmdg.com.

I had edited my post above to caution about AP operation with a single IRS. However here are the results of my tests. Please note that I have simulated the IRS failure by positioning the switch to OFF but this may not be an accurate simulation. Here is what I observed:

With the PMDG/MSFS

- Indeed FD/AP do not operate with a single IRS regardless the IRS switch position ("Both to the left" or "Normal")
                          - ATT recovery did not work (I kept the aircraft in a level and straight position for several minutes), never got the message "set the heading" although the "aligned" light illuminated during the attempt. I tried to enter the heading directly on the little keyboard next to the IRS module but typing on this keyboard did nothing.

With X-Plane/Zibo

- FD/AP do operate with a single IRS aligned. Which as you mentioned it is not the "expected" behavior
                          - The ATT recovery works as expected

It doesn't look like any of those two B737 simulates single IRS failure accurately, or I am not doing the test correctly

Samer Haj
                          ATT recovery works as expected here both on the ground and in flight. Perhaps you had a fail light that did not extinguish? I failed IRS R, and while it is failed you cannot use ATT recovery. However, if you fail the IRS then remove the failure then when the ALIGN light extinguishes the SET IRS HDG prompt appears as expect on the POS INIT page.

Perhaps your straight and level was not that straight or level due to Asobo atmospherics. Are you sure the ALIGN light extinguished?

I found it was much easier to old straight and level by disconnecting A/T and removing the pitch coupling with thrust changes.

In any event, it worked for me.
                          Dan Downs KCRP

Comment

ATT recovery works as expected here both on the ground and in flight. Perhaps you had a fail light that did not extinguish? I failed IRS R, and while it is failed you cannot use ATT recovery. However, if you fail the IRS then remove the failure then when the ALIGN light extinguishes the SET IRS HDG prompt appears as expect on the POS INIT page.

Perhaps your straight and level was not that straight or level due to Asobo atmospherics. Are you sure the ALIGN light extinguished?

I found it was much easier to old straight and level by disconnecting A/T and removing the pitch coupling with thrust changes.

In any event, it worked for me.
                            I think the difference is in the "failure" action. I simulated the failure just by turning the knob to OFF and then I tried to recover by turning it to ATT.
                            How did you fail the IRS in your side? Using the FMC failure section? If yes it would have been more accurate way to simulate an IRS failure

However, how come that turning the knob to OFF and then to ATT (or NAV) would not allow to use it anymore?

Thanks for testing and for the feedback, it's been very useful.

Samer Haj

Comment

I think the difference is in the "failure" action. I simulated the failure just by turning the knob to OFF and then I tried to recover by turning it to ATT.
                              How did you fail the IRS in your side? Using the FMC failure section? If yes it would have been more accurate way to simulate an IRS failure

However, how come that turning the knob to OFF and then to ATT (or NAV) would not allow to use it anymore?

Thanks for testing and for the feedback, it's been very useful.

Samer Haj
                              I used the PMDG OPTIONS Failure menu to fail the IRS.

When you test by setting it to OFF, you must allow it to remain OFF for a few moments perhaps a minute. Then switch ATT is you want to use that mode.
                              Dan Downs KCRP

Comment

Working...
                              X