Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

ARC DME approaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ARC DME approaches

Hello, new poster here.

My question is rather simple: does PMDG's FMS allow for ARC DME approaches ?

I am trying to program an approach that involves an ARC DME up to the IF (called EKMEP) at LFLL for Rnw 17L coming from the South.
    The FMS is giving me a "vector" that goes from the IAF... all the way to the North pole lol, and is not connected to the IF.
    Am I doing something wrong or ?...

Below screenshots.

LFLL.jpg

ND.jpg

- Jon Loblaw
    Attached Files
    --------------------------------
    Jon Loblaw

Jon, at the present time, not quite. As far as I know, it can only be done with pseudo-waypoints added in.
    Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

Arghh shoot. Ok.
      Is it actually possible to create pseudo-waypoints ? I have a number of pdf in my PMDG folder and I did have a look at them, but none include a tutorial on this:
      PMDG_737_Mouse_Options_HowTo
      PMDG_737_MSFS_Introduction
      PMDG_737_MSFS_Tutorial
      PMDG_737_Paint_Kit_HowTo

Are there other pdf elsewhere ?
      Jon Loblaw

Comment

Originally posted by jrkob2 View Post
        Arghh shoot. Ok.
        Is it actually possible to create pseudo-waypoints ?
        The format for the pseudo-waypoints is FIXRAD/DIS where FIX is the reference point (in this case the LSE VOR for the arc), RAD is the radial relative to the point and DIS is the distance.
        In your case, the initial point for the DME arc would be LSE297/11.

EDIT: RAD is a three-digits format, therefore if you begin the approach from the other side, the first pseudo-waypoint would be LSE065/11
        Last edited by Mirach; 22Jun2022, 08:27.

Marco Colonna

Comment

Jon,

you could create place-bearing/distance into your route, that would loosely follow the VOR arc (e.g.: LSE240/10, LSE297/11, LSE301/11, LSE305/11, LSE310/11, LSE320/11/ ... LSE 345/11), and make that a constraint at the new waypoints (as per the chart, e.g. /FL100, /FL070, etc.). More waypoints you create the more precise the arc is.

Also, additionally, you can use FIX page LSE VOR at 11NM that would and make sure that you follow the arc.

I tested this on a different sim but the place-bearing/distance works on B737. BTW, it works flawlessly (see screenshot)

Hope this helps.

Best,

EDIT: Post above states the same.
          Last edited by fatman744; 22Jun2022, 11:03.
          Andrej Lippay

Comment

Haaaaa, ok got the trick, very smart. Thanks fellas ! See below what will probably do for now.
            Would be nice to have this pre-modelled in the FMS at some point.

- Jon Loblaw

LFLL2.jpg
            Jon Loblaw

Comment

Jon,

glad to hear that our suggestion helped.

if you want to challenge yourself, you can also try flying the arc "old school" way. Tune on LSE, and at the 297 radial at 11NM try to remain at this distance, while approaching the EKMEP fix. Essentially you will make a right turn, while remaining at 11 NM from LSE until you are at the 345 radial at 11NM and then you fly direct to EKMEP.

I found this video on YT (starting when FD2S initially discusses the approach). It is on B732, but same technique applies.
              Maybe Emanuel ( "737NG Driver" ) could do a video on it.

Cheers,
              Andrej Lippay

Comment

It would be nice to be able to save/create that as a custom procedure, similar to COPTER proprietary procedures to hospitals, or point-in-space approaches.
                Mike Murphy

Comment

Originally posted by Helibrewer View Post

It would be nice to be able to save/create that as a custom procedure, similar to COPTER proprietary procedures to hospitals, or point-in-space approaches.
                  One may modify the sidstar file if you have the time to learn the syntax. LFLL.txt would be that filename in this case and these files are found in <community> \pmdg-aircraft-737\Config\SidStars folder.

Google may reveal the document I used to learn the syntax, Making 737NG Procedures by Terry Yingling dated 2004 (PMDG is using a very old navdata format). Before Stephan joined Navigraph many years ago a lot of people were creating their own sidstar files. It's lengthy process to say the least.

Dan Downs KCRP
                  i7-10700K 32GB 3600MHz 3080Ti

Comment

I'll second what Dan said. It's fun and really not that hard, just a little tedious, when you get it figured out. And then you have a procedure you can call up in the FMC any time, without having to add points every time you fly it (just keep a backup copy somewhere outside the SIDSTARS folder, as you'll need to replace it in there after a navdata update.

What I do is build the procedure in Google earth. I start with the coords of known waypoints (they're in LFLL.txt in the SIDSTARS folder), and then use the circle tool to create the arc segment I want, and then place multiple fixes along that arc, read their coords from Google earth, and define them in the navdata file below the other waypoints for that airport. Then just create a new approach procedure copying the syntax of the other approaches.
                    Andrew Crowley

Comment

• DDowns
                      DDowns commented
                      Editing a comment
                      At locations within FAA jurisdiction, all of those waypoint locations are available free from their NFDC web site. They even have the ARINC 424-16 data available if you want to grab the accurate definitions for RF legs. Re: https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flig...nav/aero_data/

• Stearmandriver
                      Stearmandriver commented
                      Editing a comment
                      DDowns nice resource, thanks!

• Stearmandriver
                      Stearmandriver commented
                      Editing a comment
                      And it has all our non-public fixes in it! REALLY nice! I no longer have to pull coords out of the box at work haha!

when i look at the charts for that approach in navigraph, it doesn't indicate a vor/dme arc as part of the procedure..unless i am reading it incorrectly, after vne it is basically saying maintain course until radar vectors, which looks pretty much like what the FMS is displaying... am i missing something here?

edit: ah, looks like your charts are from 2019

cheers,-andy crosby
                    Last edited by spesimen; 22Jun2022, 23:44.

Comment

Originally posted by spesimen View Post

My set of charts is from the latest AIPs on the official French civil aviation website, cycle AIRAC dated 16/6/2022:
                      https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv...dex-fr-FR.html

then select LFLL on the left, then select AD_2_LFLL_IAC_RWY17L_INA_ILS_LOC on the right. Or accessible directly here:
                      https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv...NA_ILS_LOC.pdf

This particular chart hasn't been updated since 2019 indeed, but are you sure it's invalid ?

- Jon Loblaw
                      Last edited by jrkob2; 23Jun2022, 04:29.
                      Jon Loblaw

Comment

Originally posted by spesimen View Post
                        when i look at the charts for that approach in navigraph, it doesn't indicate a vor/dme arc as part of the procedure..unless i am reading it incorrectly, after vne it is basically saying maintain course until radar vectors, which looks pretty much like what the FMS is displaying... am i missing something here?

cheers,-andy crosby
                        Andy and Jon,

the reason for this discrepancy is that both of you are looking at different charts.
                        • The one presented by Jon is for Lost Communications only, dated 26-JUL-19 on Navigraph / 07-NOV-19 on French AIP (Navigraph Chart: 11-1).
                        • However, you are referring to Chart 11-0 (dated: 28-FEB-20).

Cheers,
                        Andrej Lippay

Comment

Ha obviously, yes my chart is for no radio procedures (I didn't see it before). Could you post a screenshot of Chart 11-0 ?
                          The problem is the French AIPs do not use Navigraph's chart numbering (which I suspect follows Jeppesen).
                          I have an older set of Jeppesen charts (dated 2013) but looking at it the charts have completely changed since.
                          What is strange, is that I don't see in the French AIPs (I posted a link above) an equivalent of what I think I should see on Chart 11-0, which is ILS approach for ILS 17L without the no radio restriction. They have other charts for VOR and RNP final approaches. Just not ILS. Not that I can see.

- Jon Loblaw
                          Last edited by jrkob2; 23Jun2022, 05:24.
                          Jon Loblaw

Comment

Jon,

I believe that you need to look at this chart at AIP:
                            https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/dvd/eAIP_16_JUN_2022/FRANCE/AIRAC-2022-06-16/html/eAIP/Cartes/LFLL/AD_2_LFLL_IAC_RWY_ALL_INA.pdf

Navigraph separated into two charts (11-0 and 11-0A)

Cheers,
                            Andrej Lippay

Comment

Ok I see, so this chart works for multiple kind of approaches not just ILS as I was (wrongly) looking for, it's gotta be it, thanks a lot for the help !
                              Very clear.
                              Jon Loblaw

Comment

Working...
                              X