Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

CTD after hours of flying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTD after hours of flying

Just wondering if there are more people having CTD, it only happens after long time of flying (4 hours or more) the 737 in MSFS.
    With other planes no CTD.

Greetings,

Robert Koolstr.
    Robert Kools

Originally posted by Roberto0203 View Post
    Just wondering if there are more people having CTD, it only happens after long time of flying (4 hours or more) the 737 in MSFS.

Greetings,

Robert Koolstr.
    The longest flight I’ve made in the 737-700 is 4 hours and 17 minutes (KNBA - KPDX), plus about 15 minutes before flight in the sim setting things up in the FMC, and another 15 minutes after unloading the plane. No CTD or obvious framerate slowdown for me.

Having said that, a lot of people point to things like Toolbar Pushback or potentially other mods that are creating memory leaks and causing crashes in some planes after long flight times. If you can, consider an experiment - try a long flight with no other mods or utilities running in the background to see if it makes a difference.
    Herb Schaltegger - Father, husband, lawyer, engineer & getting too old for this $#!t. Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball!TM.

Comment

Greetings,

Robert Koolstr.
      There is a memory leak in MSFS and manifests mostly at long flights. Any 4+ flight with any plane can result in such issue. It had happened to me as well and was lucky that had some extra logging enabled at windows and was able to sent the dump log to Asobo. They confirmed they have found the issue as some kind of wrong memory allocation which will fix.
      Chris Makris (Olympic260)
      PMDG Technical Support
      http://www.pmdg.com

Comment

• Crabby
        Crabby commented
        Editing a comment
        Manaelixir I CAN happen not it WILL happen.

• Manaelixir
        Manaelixir commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been testing since rolled back to the early PMDG 737-700, and five hours later,
        I still have no previous memory leak symptoms, no lag or CTD

• Car147
        Car147 commented
        Editing a comment
        I had this the other day, fps suddenly fell through the floor 4hrs into the flight. but i managed to recover it. it had happened before some months ago, so this time i decided i was going to try some things to see if i could save the flight (Getting about 10fps or less) I don't know why but i thought what is common to these sort of issues, and i thought " Live Weather" So i switched from live weather to something like scattered cloud mid flight, and i don't know if i got lucky or something, but that was it. Suddenly back to my locked 30fps. It could be something, maybe worth a try if anyone else suffers from it.

Clive Rose

It only happens with Pmdg 737 not with Fenix and FBW
      Robert Kools

Comment

• Crabby
        Crabby commented
        Editing a comment
        Not true. It CAN happen, not it WILL happen.

• Car147
        Car147 commented
        Editing a comment
        My above post with my experiance of it was in the Fenix A320, so i would think it can happen with any long flight.And i have also seen it with the FBW A320.

Clive Rose

• Vee One
        Vee One commented
        Editing a comment
        Robert, you're wrong. It happens a lot in my long flights with the FBW A320. Give time to time. MSFS will get better. People often times wrongfully blame the aircraft coders (aka PMDG, FBW, Fenix) for the CTD's when they don't have any idea of the numerous bugs in the base code of MSFS like the memory leak bug.

Hmmm.. This guy would not agree

Originally posted by Karvala21, post:2574, topic:417613
      Every second or third flight with the Fenix a memory leak seems to occur which causes the memory requirements of the main MSFS process to more than double compared to any other aircraft I’ve seen, at which point it starts to encroach upon virtual memory and essentially hangs. This can only be fixed by killing the Fenix DRM app, killing MSFS and restarting MSFS from scratch.

Comment

I can confirm this happens with all sorts of planes, including default Asobo planes on SOME long flights, but not every single one. There are so many different variables that may drive the different behavior about why this isn't always easy to reproduce. None of us are able to fly exactly the same flights down to the same time with the same weather conditions, given those naturally change.
        Michael Leung

Comment

Nameless, please sign your posts as per rules.

I had the same issue on a 5 hour flight with the FBW A320... Asobo confirmed there is an issue.... Because it has not happened to you it does not mean that it is not there and is not happening.
          PMDG Technical Support

Comment

In the current state, memory leaks are not seen in the early version of 737. It is recommended that you roll back the previous version.
            Last edited by Manaelixir; 14Jun2022, 21:27.

Comment

Originally posted by Manaelixir View Post
              In the current state, memory leaks are not seen in the early version of 737. It is recommended that you roll back the previous version.
              Not true, I had the FPS falling off a cliff after 4-5hrs 'feature' in that version too.
              As has been stated a number of times and in other threads too, the issue is an Asobo one, and not a PMGD one.
              Steve Mel

Comment

Originally posted by Steve M View Post

Not true, I had the FPS falling off a cliff after 4-5hrs 'feature' in that version too.
                As has been stated a number of times and in other threads too, the issue is an Asobo one, and not a PMGD one.
                You can think about it simply
                When all the various plane such as CRJ were tested, CTD through long flight was not found except for PMDG 737. The comment writer said that rollback does not solve the problem, but at least my case is very dramatically improved.

1. The rollback to the previous version is considered one of the solutions that anyone with this symptom can try.

2. If it is an Asobo problem, it is not too late to judge after confirming that this problem occurs in the aircraft of at least one other company (including Asobo).

Comment

Originally posted by Manaelixir View Post

You can think about it simply
                  When all the various plane such as CRJ were tested, CTD through long flight was not found except for PMDG 737. The comment writer said that rollback does not solve the problem, but at least my case is very dramatically improved.

1. The rollback to the previous version is considered one of the solutions that anyone with this symptom can try.

2. If it is an Asobo problem, it is not too late to judge after confirming that this problem occurs in the aircraft of at least one other company (including Asobo).
                  Nameless. I would put it simple. You do not have a clue on what you are saying. The crashes and mem leak started after SU9. It happens on ALL PLANES and can happen on ALL PLANES as I wrote but I guess you decided to ignore it. I had it on FBW A320 and Asobo confirmed it is an issue from there side....

So please set the conspiracy theories aside.... Thank you.
                  PMDG Technical Support

Comment

• enhorabuena
                    enhorabuena commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This is a public forum for customers who pay a lot of money for product, and in having a forum, both negative and positive comments can occur...if you are an administrator, please act like one. I highly recommend a customer-service training class paid for by PMDG..your comments are seriously off-brand and archaic to the market we are in today.

The fps drop off complaints have been going on since early 2021. Long before PMDG 737 was released. Check the MSFS forums.
                  There are 2800+ post on the subject

Comment

There has definitely been a drop in sim performance (FPS, GPU usage) since SU9 but there have also been FPS drops after long flights almost since the sim launched in August 2020. And I personally had a CTD at the end of a 5 hour flight (KMIA to KPDX) back around December 2020 while I was on final with gear down at about 1,000' AGL. And boy, let me tell you I was quite pissed about it, too.

So there certainly may be some specific NEW cause for memory leaks related to SU9, or it may be that Chris happened to have his debug data tool churning during his crash and finally caught the root cause of something that SU9 may have made worse. but sim CTD after long flights is not new, sadly, and they are most certainly not specific to the PMDG 737.
                    Herb Schaltegger - Father, husband, lawyer, engineer & getting too old for this $#!t. Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball!TM.

Comment

Speaking of CTD's ... I downloaded the updates today for WU X (updated POIs for the United States), tried to spawn into the new Gaya-designed Catalina in the Big Radials Goose (best flying boat/waterplane in the sim, btw), and had an immediate CTD right as I clicked on a parking space. This is my first CTD in probably six months.

But sure, go ahead and tell us how this is somehow PMDG's fault.

Comment

Leaning tower of Pisa is PMDGs fault as well. They totally f'd that one up. That said I've had few CTDs with PMDG but not nearly as many as I expected given the instability of MSFS. Overall very stable experience. I can do 4-5 2-3 hour sectors back to back without restarts, reboots or crashes. Pleasantly surprised. Done 4-5 hour flights as well but I usually restart the sim after those.
                        Aleks Matrosov

Comment

Chris Makris is right, can happen with every aircraft and recently happend to me with the Fenix A320 after a 8 hours flight (EGGD - GCLP - EGGD) without restarting the sim.

This is a bug within MSFS and Crabby pointet it out. It can happend, during longer flights (2 - 4 hours upwards) but it WILL happen eventually after a time. Settings/Weather and Photogrammetry is a part of this problem.

You can find a 2342km post at the MSFS Forum itself where people in different locations, aircraft and settings have the same problem.

Comment

Then i was a little Lucky yesterday doing a ELLX->LPMA Flight.The online Problem was the Shut down of the Simulator afterwards.The Sim hung up at the "Return to Main" Menu Screen.
                            Ralf Zimmermann

Comment

I just had my FIRST CTD. Flight form OKC-MCO just starting the STAR RNAV to RWY 36L MCO and the sim CTD'd. VERY irritating... it was a nice little flight until then... I hope it's not going to be a trend!!!
                              Last edited by Murf7413; 18Jun2022, 00:24.
                              Brian Murphy FSX- 747-400 / MD-11 / MSFS DC-6/ 737-700

Comment

Greetings,

Robert Koolstr.
                                Hi, it just happens to me too, when flying more than 1,000 miles (or 3/4 h); possibly my MSFS is a mind reader, and understand that I?m becoming bored :-)
                                Fulvio Arman
                                Fulvio Arman

Comment

I should've not said anything since I totally jinxed it. Latest WU it's worse than alpha for me. Crash after crash all planes not just PMDG.
                                  Aleks Matrosov

Comment

Originally posted by cmakris View Post

Nameless. I would put it simple. You do not have a clue on what you are saying. The crashes and mem leak started after SU9. It happens on ALL PLANES and can happen on ALL PLANES as I wrote but I guess you decided to ignore it. I had it on FBW A320 and Asobo confirmed it is an issue from there side....

So please set the conspiracy theories aside.... Thank you.
                                    Just today I flew with 3 different planes - Redwing Connie, DCS F-16 and PMDG 737, and in all these three cases, my pc CTD after a couple of hour flying. Let's hope MSFS fix this bug. BTW, I didn't get any issue before this last update. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I wanted to specify this occurrance.
                                    Fulvio Arman
                                    Fulvio Arman

Comment

I can't get through an entire flight over 4 hours without CTD now... pretty frustrating!! 😡 I hope Asobo gets this straightened out PDQ!!!!

I have tried 3 flights today... only one that was successful, and it was 3 hours and 17 minutes!!!
                                      Last edited by Murf7413; 18Jun2022, 22:49.
                                      Brian Murphy FSX- 747-400 / MD-11 / MSFS DC-6/ 737-700

Comment

I had been getting CTD on long flights frustratingly often until I quit using pop out panels. Since I stopped doing that, not a one.

Dustin Moss

Comment

I had just one CTD on a long flight with the BBJ (over 7 hours)...
                                          Other flights around 4-5 hours no issues until now.. Might be something with the area flying.
                                          Lets hope they solve it.
                                          Teofilo Homsany

Comment

Originally posted by cmakris View Post

There is a memory leak in MSFS and manifests mostly at long flights. Any 4+ flight with any plane can result in such issue. It had happened to me as well and was lucky that had some extra logging enabled at windows and was able to sent the dump log to Asobo. They confirmed they have found the issue as some kind of wrong memory allocation which will fix.
                                            Chris did they give you any indication if the leak will be fixed for SU10?
                                            Harry Schraishuhn - System Builder

I7-9700K @ 5Ghz, AORUS Z390 Master Motherboard, Corsair H100i AIO, AORUS 1080ti Xtreme, HyperX Predator 32GB, Samsung 1TB NVMe + 2 x 1TB SSD's, 27" LG 27GL850-B QHD Display, Cooler Master MasterCase H500, Cooler Master 1000 Watt PSU, Win10, Logitech X52 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Oswald53 View Post

Chris did they give you any indication if the leak will be fixed for SU10?
                                              No they said they will look to fix it with no details
                                              PMDG Technical Support

Comment

• Murf7413
                                                Murf7413 commented
                                                Editing a comment
                                                Figures...

Greetings,

Robert Koolstr.
                                              For what it concerns me, and in my specific case, switching to OFF the LIVE WEATHER (since I always used to fly like that), things are going much better, with any type of plane.
                                              Fulvio Arman

Comment

• Steve M
                                                Steve M commented
                                                Editing a comment
                                                Yes, I have done that (plus the well known registry tweak), and now use REX Weather Force 2020 instead.
                                                Not had a single FPS slowdown or crash since on many 4-5hr flights in the 737.

Robert,

MSFS is not a very stable platform. Sorry to say, but I had several crashes with other high fidelity addon (as recently as yesterday on a 2 hour flight, but it was a big VATUK event) as well as with a default B748 that was slaved to PSX (this varies from first hour into a flight to 10th hour). But I noticed that recent update made the sim less smooth.

IMHO, MSFS was not fully ready to be released. Currently it requires few updates to translate into a stable, "well oiled", sim. It will get there eventually.

Cheers,
                                              Andrej Lippay

Comment

I think they fixed it now. There was a micro update yesterday or two days ago. And now it seems stable again. At least regular legs. Haven't tried BBJ routes yet.
                                                Aleks Matrosov

Comment

Originally posted by matrosov View Post
                                                  I think they fixed it now. There was a micro update yesterday or two days ago. And now it seems stable again. At least regular legs. Haven't tried BBJ routes yet.
                                                  Not for me.
                                                  I still have a huge FPS drop, after 2 hours when I started the sim in PMDG, Fenix, or any other aircraft.

Itay Levi
                                                  Itay Levi

PMDG: B73, B74, B77.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X