Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

Unable LNAV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable LNAV

I am on a flight with my flight mode annunciator showing in green as SPD|HDG SEL|VNAV PTH, but under the HDG SEL I have LNAV in white. I feel this is to show that the aircraft is indeed in heading hold and waiting to engage LNAV once I am on an intercept heading. Changing the HDG value correctly causes the aircraft to turn.
    If I set the HDG to the intercept bearing and press SEL, the FMC displays 'NOT ON INTERCEPT HEADING'.so staying in HDG SEL.
    How do I get the autopilot to accept LNAV mode active again? 🤔
    Cheers, Richard

Originally posted by RichardMcDonaldWoods View Post
    I am on a flight with my flight mode annunciator showing in green as SPD|HDG SEL|VNAV PTH, but under the HDG SEL I have LNAV in white. I feel this is to show that the aircraft is indeed in heading hold and waiting to engage LNAV once I am on an intercept heading. Changing the HDG value correctly causes the aircraft to turn.
    If I set the HDG to the intercept bearing and press SEL, the FMC displays 'NOT ON INTERCEPT HEADING'.so staying in HDG SEL.
    How do I get the autopilot to accept LNAV mode active again? 🤔
    Well first the LNAV in white is in fact Armed. It will stay Armed until the LNAV Path is captured not on a intercept heading only. There are certain constraints listed in the manual that will depict what is needed to capture the course. You’ll have to dig those up.
    It also sounds like from your description that maybe the FMC didn’t sequence the next leg if it’s only giving you not on intercept heading. There’s a couple ways to fix this. Either proceed direct to the next fix or if you really need to intercept the leg you would take the next fix place is in Legs Page 1 LSK L1 and adjust the intercept course heading to the desired value. All this is in the manual as well. Though or there are tutorials on YouTube. It’s a bit complex for a post on my phone.

That’s my observation from what I’m reading. If you want a quick and dirty fix to your issue just proceed direct to your next waypoint and LNAV will immediately go active.
    Brian Thibodeaux
    B747-400/8 First Officer
    Typed MD-80, BE1900
    ATP, CFI, MEI
    My Liveries

Comment

Brian can type more on his phone than I can! Not on intercept course tells you that if you continue your current heading you will never reach the LNAV path. You didn't provide enough information, specifically your heading and your position relative to the LNAV track, for us to do any more than guess. Either a direct to next waypoint or perhaps an INTC CRS TO would work.... can't tell.
      Dan Downs KCRP

Comment

As Brian and Dan mentioned there are so many variables, a picture with the PFD, ND and FMC will help and narrow down the issue.

Just a few quick guidelines before studying (I know it's a lot) will help:

If more than 20 NM either side of magenta line wpt sequence will not occur. You need to do an intercept course or direct to, to redefine the airway or legs sequence.

If the current track/HDG does not cross the intercept leg will trigger NOT ON INTERCEPT HEADING

LNAV will activate when within 2.5 NM of on an intercept heading to the active leg.
        NOIH.JPG
        Kind regards Alex Nicolov
        "You can't make a difference unless you upset at least one."
        [email protected] GHz, Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti, DDR4 3200 64GB

Comment

• thibodba57
          thibodba57 commented
          Editing a comment
          Just to expand on the 2.5nm from course. It says that in the manual but in practice as I’m sure Alex has seen it doesn’t always capture and make a drastic turn to intercept the course. Especially coming off offsets using HDG Sel. Sometimes you have to drive the plane until your practically on top the Course before LNAV will capture. Other times it’ll Capture and make some aggressive turn to join the course. So I’m sure some of the description of when LNAV will capture has been left out of the Boeing manual or most likely just generalized for us dumb pilots to digest. Point being, if you are sure you have the Box programmed correctly and you are sure of it, just keep driving the aircraft to the course with HDG select until it captures. If it doesn’t, well get on top of the course as accurately as you can (Utilize Prog Page 2) then go direct to the next waypoint. Let’s hope it doesn’t go that far though. It shouldn’t.

Further to what Alex and Brian have said, provided the aircraft is within 3nms of the active route then it can be on any heading to capture the active route. If it is more than 3nms away from the active route then the intercept course must be 90 degrees or less and, in both cases, the route segment must be intercepted before the active waypoint.

The nature of the turn during the route capture will depend on several factors, including the intercept angle, wind velocity. speed and altitude as well as the distance from the active waypoint and the cross-track error, etc. (all of which will affect the time and/or rate of closure to a greater or lesser extent), The FMS uses this data and more to compute the transitional distance during the turn and the capture will inevitably be more aggressive the closer the aircraft is to the active route if it is at high speed with a large intercept angle. When establishing on an ILS localiser at a large intercept angle it is sometimes possible to go through it and 'lose' the capture, which is why it is always considered good airmanship to monitor the ILS raw data as well as the FMA modes.

Michael Codd

Comment

Gentlemen, many thanks for your thoughtful feedbacks.😄
          I had not thought about pressing my next TO waypoint and setting it as a direct to. This works well.
          I had also forgotten about having to be within 2.5 mi of magenta for LNAV to engage.
          As age presses on, I find it so easy to overlook solutions to my problems. 😥
          Cheers, Richard

Comment

Working...
          X