Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

SLOW/FAST Vs ROTARY for Baro and Minimum Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SLOW/FAST Vs ROTARY for Baro and Minimum Settings

If the SLOW/FAST option is selected I can set the minimums exactly as required as I'm able to choose increments of 1 if needed. Setting a minimum of 323' can be done for example. However, in the simulator with a mouse, this method is clumsy as you are aware so you thoughtfully included the "ROTARY" option to allow us to use our mouse wheels. However, in this mode, I'm only able to move the figure in increments of 10. meaning the closest I can get to 323' is either 320 or 330.

Is there a way to switch between increments of 10 and increments of 1 that I have missed or is it a case of when using "ROTARY" I'm stuck with the "near as damn it" theory of operation?

I have had to go back to the clumsy "FAST/SLOW" option to set the minimums correctly. Even if that way of setting it can be quite frustrating with the limitations of the sim.
    James Mayo

Ryzen 5800X - Asus TUF 6900XT - Asus Strix X570-E - GSkill 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 -Samsung 980 Pro 1TB x2 - Corsair HX1000 PSU - Windows 10 64

This is not a bug as such, it is an option that PMDG have simulated based on the different EFIS panel versions that Boeing fitted in the real aircraft.

For example, on the real aircraft when RADIO is selected on the EFIS panel it sets a radio altitude reference in RADIO displayed in one foot increments. However when BARO is selected on early EFIS panels it sets a barometric altitude reference in BARO displayed in increments of ten feet; but on later versions when BARO is selected it sets a barometric altitude reference in BARO displayed in increments of one foot.

Your ROTARY option simulates ten foot increments and the SLOW/FAST option simulates one foot increments. You should see the BARO pointer indicating the same altitude on the altitude display based on whatever selection you have chosen in the PMDG CDU.
    Michael Codd

Comment

Thanks for replying to this. I didn't think it was a bug but I had hoped that there was something that I was missing that would allow me to switch to increments of 1 when needed when using ROTARY but seemingly not then. I have had to go back to the clumsy method to allow me to set things precisely. I can see why they decided to do this if those were the different EFIS versions but it feels inconsistent. Surely it would be better to be able to choose the EFIS variant rather than mix and match. If you know what I mean. That would please everyone. As it is now unpleasable whingers like me can't have it the way they want it and instead have to put up with either inaccurate setting (realistic or not) or clumsy input method (realistic or not).

Both are equally irksome 😂

Lines need to be drawn somewhere, though, I suppose.
      James Mayo

Ryzen 5800X - Asus TUF 6900XT - Asus Strix X570-E - GSkill 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 -Samsung 980 Pro 1TB x2 - Corsair HX1000 PSU - Windows 10 64

Comment

• Michael Codd
        Michael Codd commented
        Editing a comment
        If you can fly to an accuracy of 1 knot or 1 foot then you deserve a medal, so stop whinging! LOL

If you can fly to an accuracy of 1 knot or 1 foot then you deserve a medal, so stop whinging! LOL
      🤣 I can fly to an accuracy of 1 micron.........in my own mind 😊
      James Mayo

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz View Post

🤣 I can fly to an accuracy of 1 micron.........in my own mind 😊
        This really isn’t as big a deal as you think. As I stated in the other thread. Not all REAL aircraft are able to set single foot increments. We round up to the nearest 10’ increment. 232’ we set 240’.
        Brian Thibodeaux
        ‘Giant’ B747-400/8 Captain
        Typed MD-80, BE1900
        ATP, CFI, MEI
        My Liveries

Comment

Originally posted by thibodba57 View Post

This really isn’t as big a deal as you think. As I stated in the other thread. Not all REAL aircraft are able to set single foot increments. We round up to the nearest 10’ increment. 232’ we set 240’.
          Oh, I know it's not a big deal, Brian. Of course, it's not. It's just something that bothers my "particular" nature and was wondering if there was a way of having my cake and eating it. It's the same thing that drives me to straighten pictures and keep my socks aligned in their drawer 😊
          James Mayo

Comment

It's the same thing that drives me to straighten pictures and keep my socks aligned in their drawer 😊
            Boy real world aviation would not your cup of tea. Haha. Just about every aircraft has some different variance in software programming or some hardware in a different spot.
            Brian Thibodeaux
            Typed MD-80, BE1900
            ATP, CFI, MEI
            My Liveries

Comment

Originally posted by thibodba57 View Post

Boy real world aviation would not your cup of tea. Haha. Just about every aircraft has some different variance in software programming or some hardware in a different spot.
              I would probably spend most of my time with a small brush removing all the dust and flakes of skin from all the nooks and crannies of the flight deck 😂
              James Mayo

Comment

If I may... try getting LIDO charts for your flights, they have the minimums all rounded up to the next tenth anyway

Comment

@Jazz,

Very interesting topic and good information.
                  As it was mentioned correctly there are different versions of software and options that each airline will go for.
                  BARO settings can vary in increments of 10 or 1 foot.
                  Our fleet on the -8I has only 1-foot increments while the -8F division has 10 and 1. Freighter division decided not to spend the money to update the software and blasted a memo to remind the pilots that they can change the BARO minimums to 1 increment by going into the CDU MENU display control selection whereas an alternate way to control the functions of the EFIS control panel and the display select panel where you actually can access and select RAD or BARO and set minimums in 1-foot increments without roundup.
                  This will tremendously help especially where you have to set high minimums, for example, MDAs is 8880, instead of rotating the knob like crazy you use that procedure and just type 8880.

Vlad Tepes

Comment

Originally posted by Emi View Post
                    If I may... try getting LIDO charts for your flights, they have the minimums all rounded up to the next tenth anyway
                    Good to know
                    James Mayo

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Tepes View Post
                      @Jazz,

Very interesting topic and good information.
                      As it was mentioned correctly there are different versions of software and options that each airline will go for.
                      BARO settings can vary in increments of 10 or 1 foot.
                      Our fleet on the -8I has only 1-foot increments while the -8F division has 10 and 1. Freighter division decided not to spend the money to update the software and blasted a memo to remind the pilots that they can change the BARO minimums to 1 increment by going into the CDU MENU display control selection whereas an alternate way to control the functions of the EFIS control panel and the display select panel where you actually can access and select RAD or BARO and set minimums in 1-foot increments without roundup.
                      This will tremendously help especially where you have to set high minimums, for example, MDAs is 8880, instead of rotating the knob like crazy you use that procedure and just type 8880.

Interesting. One can't help but wonder how much a software update costs to change such a small thing.
                      James Mayo

Comment

Interesting. One can't help but wonder how much a software update costs to change such a small thing.
                        Unfortunately, airlines in our days if they can save a $ on something they will do it, "at any cost".
                        Upgrades or software updates are very expensive unless there is something mandatory. Something like this is not a safety issue or a potential hazard just a nuisance. As an example, some airlines on the same type of airplane will have different engines, cockpit layout, different FMC versions, different ND, PFD, radio boxes, etc. How do they get away with it? They have aircraft differences manual, you get the idea.
                        Crew meals are portioned for flight duration (they went from first-class to business class to economy, or just "special crew meals"), they go as far as restricting how much water you can drink, how many cans of soda, how much coffee. From 4-5 star hotels, beancounters decided for us to go at Ibis or Motel6.
                        I can go forever on their cost savings programs at our expense or passengers.
                        A software upgrade/update for such a small thing is no concern................
                        Happy New Year!
                        Vlad Tepes

Comment

I won’t fully demonize airline management publicly. But if anyone has a personal conversation with you you’ll quickly understand my personal opinion on the technical abilities of our management teams. But to their benefit, airline typically run on a very tight profit margin comparatively to other industries. Surging gas prices some years have caused windfalls in others is just one example. I really don’t know much any other industry that experiences the feast vs famine the airline industry endures. So yea them not wanting to invest money into an option like that…..probably not going to happen. Because once you start changing software something else breaks. It’s an inevitability. Recently they had to disable an option on our aircraft they just enabled because it was causing safety of flight issues. As to this particular thing. It works into the aircrews favor (safety). Round up to the nearest 10’ and you got yourself up to 9 extra feet to accomplish that at Mins go around. Not that 200’ is a big deal honestly. But if you’re pushing that close to CAT I Mins and you don’t brief and CATII/III Autoland (revert to manual if you do chose) you deserve the go around anyways imho.
                          Brian Thibodeaux
                          Typed MD-80, BE1900
                          ATP, CFI, MEI
                          My Liveries

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Tepes View Post

Unfortunately, airlines in our days if they can save a $ on something they will do it, "at any cost".
                            Upgrades or software updates are very expensive unless there is something mandatory. Something like this is not a safety issue or a potential hazard just a nuisance. As an example, some airlines on the same type of airplane will have different engines, cockpit layout, different FMC versions, different ND, PFD, radio boxes, etc. How do they get away with it? They have aircraft differences manual, you get the idea.
                            Crew meals are portioned for flight duration (they went from first-class to business class to economy, or just "special crew meals"), they go as far as restricting how much water you can drink, how many cans of soda, how much coffee. From 4-5 star hotels, beancounters decided for us to go at Ibis or Motel6.
                            I can go forever on their cost savings programs at our expense or passengers.
                            A software upgrade/update for such a small thing is no concern................
                            Happy New Year!
                            How on earth can they restrict how much water you can drink? I prefer my pilots to be properly fed, watered and rested, frankly. 'special crew meals' Sounds like they treat you like unwanted step-children.
                            James Mayo

Comment

• thibodba57
                              thibodba57 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Our company provides an obscene amount of water. I’ve honestly never heard of a limit to water you can get. But food….cheapest vender they can find. You haven’t flown until you’ve gotten food poisoning from some random vender the company swears by. We’ve had an emergency diversion into Bahrain a few years ago due to violent food poisoning. We dropped that caterer, but since then the ‘new caterer’ has been providing the exact same meals as the old one.

cheapest vender they can find. You haven’t flown until you’ve gotten food poisoning from some random vender the company swears by. We’ve had an emergency diversion into Bahrain a few years ago due to violent food poisoning.
                            I've often wondered about that. I don't suppose you can have much control over what you eat and are reliant on these caterers. I spent many years on the road in all sorts of venues and hotels etc due to work in the entertainment industry and in the end I was mostly at the mercy of the catering provided me. It meant that I got to eat a lot of nice and expensive stuff. But it also meant I ate a lot of crap and have had my fair share of "diversions". 🤣
                            James Mayo

Comment

I've often wondered about that. I don't suppose you can have much control over what you eat and are reliant on these caterers. I spent many years on the road in all sorts of venues and hotels etc due to work in the entertainment industry and in the end I was mostly at the mercy of the catering provided me. It meant that I got to eat a lot of nice and expensive stuff. But it also meant I ate a lot of crap and have had my fair share of "diversions". 🤣
                              Don't even get me started with truck driving. As far as eating is concerned, I'm limited by what I can find....and where I can park a 72-foot long tractor-trailer, although nowadays, I'm also limited by what's even still open these days.
                              Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Kevin View Post
                                Don't even get me started with truck driving. As far as eating is concerned, I'm limited by what I can find....and where I can park a 72-foot long tractor-trailer, although nowadays, I'm also limited by what's even still open these days.
                                I have a few friends that are lorry drivers, Kevin and they are always telling me the same thing. Facilities for truck drivers here in the UK are pretty dire I have to say. Only one eats reasonably well but it's because he cooks in his cab but parking up to buy from supermarkets etc is pretty difficult. They don't want truck drivers parking in their car parks to go shopping. And they make that pretty clear to them apparently. You would think they would treat the men that literally keep the supply they rely upon running better, wouldn't you?
                                James Mayo

Comment

I have a few friends that are lorry drivers, Kevin and they are always telling me the same thing. Facilities for truck drivers here in the UK are pretty dire I have to say. Only one eats reasonably well but it's because he cooks in his cab but parking up to buy from supermarkets etc is pretty difficult. They don't want truck drivers parking in their car parks to go shopping. And they make that pretty clear to them apparently. You would think they would treat the men that literally keep the supply they rely upon running better, wouldn't you?
                                  You'd think so, but I've been to shipping and delivery facilities that didn't even have bathrooms for the drivers. Lately, I've been eating mostly fast food because a lot of the time, my options are either fast food or starve. Most truck stop restaurants haven't fully re-opened, if they've even re-opened at all. It's not even consistent, either. Some are closed Friday Saturday, others are closed Saturday Sunday, I know of one that's closed Monday Tuesday, so it's essentially a gamble as to whether I can eat something healthy or not. When I leave the house, my mom makes food for me, so I at least have something healthy to last me for a week. After that's gone, it's really hit or miss at that point, and I'm usually out on the road for five weeks at a time. And given that I live in Florida, it's very rare that I just happen to be anywhere near there mid-trip.
                                  Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

• thibodba57
                                    thibodba57 commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    You can’t get access to Uber Eats or Door Dash? I’m not sure if there’s a location you can pull in and wait for food though. It gets a bit pricey, but it’s either $ or your health. With the way we travel especially over the last year no one wants us to leave our hotel rooms half the time. Uber Eats has been a godsend in most cases. Also help me pad on a few pounds since we aren’t really welcome in many gyms now.
                                Working...
                                X