Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

Feature suggestion (programmed sim pause) to PMDG Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feature suggestion (programmed sim pause) to PMDG Team

To : PMDG Team

Hi PMDG Team,

I would like to make a suggestion inspired from a utility (I Will Be Back) by Jose Oliveira available in the AVSIM Library.

The goal is to program the sim to be paused after a certain distance or after a duration.

The interest is to let the aircraft fly on autopilot, leave the PC to do real life activities, and the sim pauses automatically when a point of interest (typically geographic but possibly other) is reached.

In the FMC FS Actions, add a screen called 'Prog. Pause'.

In that screen the user enters a duration or a distance after which the sim automatically pauses and/or emits a sound.

That's it. Using the capabilities of FSUIPC it's not complex to develop I believe. But I am no developer so I might be wrong.

Should you develop the feature, please do it first for the 777

To : Users

If you are interested by such a feature, please post.
    Tony Argaud LFPG - P3Dv4.5

For the time being, you have already the option to have the SIM paused at TOD. It would be an extension of that option, then.
    Romain Roux

Comment

Yup, this feature is already implemented
      Matthew Chalupniczak

Comment

Yes Romain, but for the TOD only. Not entirely as I described it.

To give you a practical application : I'm doing a flight from LFPG to KIAD. One portion of the route is close to Greenland. So I make the programmation, take off, then leave the PC to do some activities. And when the aircrafts nears Greenland (measured by flight time or distance since the time when I made the programmation) it pauses the sim. When I come back to the PC, I can admire the Greenland landscape Even if I am late.
        Last edited by Simicro; 21Nov2020, 21:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Dzosef View Post
          Yup, this feature is already implemented
          Only for Top Of Descent, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Simicro View Post
            Yes Romain, but for the TOD only. Not entirely as I described it.

To give you a practical application : I'm doing a flight from LFPG to KIAD. One portion of the route is close to Greenland. So I make the programmation, take off, then leave the PC to do some activities. And when the aircrafts nears Greenland (measured by flight time or distance since the time when I made the programmation) it pauses the sim. When I come back to the PC, I can admire the Greenland landscape Even if I am late.
            Could actually pause at a specific waypoint. If you want PMDG to consider this you probably want to submit a support ticket so you can be sure they see the request
            Michael Sill

Comment

Good ideas Michael! Thanks for your contribution.

So to summarize:

<PAUSE> :
              1. At TOD (existing)
              2. After a duration since the programmation time (new)
              3. After a distance travelled since the programmation time (new)
              4. At a specific waypoint (new)

I did not think of the support ticket.

So I'll wait a bit, the time to get the community feedback and ideas, and then I'll submit a support ticket.

Comment

So pretty much

In the Fmc -> simulation-> pause menu *would have to be added* -> pause @ ****** wpt or pause @ [time]
                I mean I think the pause at TOD works very well as I dont see a need to pause anywhere else in the middle of the flight than TOD
                Alex Kulak
                PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

That's a lot of coding for 3 aircraft
                  Charles Harris KRTS The Valley of Speed
                  ASUS ROG Strix B450-F, Ryzen 3700X, 1TB 970 Neo M2,1TB SSD, RX 5700XT 8GB, 32GB DDR4 3200

Comment

• Simicro
                    Simicro commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Really, you think so?

• Snowfalcon
                    Snowfalcon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    YES. Now interaction with the flightplan is involved, That means it effects ACARS and CPCLD integration. What about Auto Step climb since that is now potentially in the mix. What happens if Auto Time Compression is used. And I'm not allowed to comment on how this could affect GFO.

Stuff like this is not a stand alone item. All of this is connected so it would have an affect.

Originally posted by Swaluver88 View Post
                  In the Fmc -> simulation-> pause menu *would have to be added* -> pause @ ****** wpt or pause @ [time]
                  Yes

I mean I think the pause at TOD works very well
                  Agree.

I dont see a need to pause anywhere else in the middle of the flight than TOD
                  Because probably you don't do long flights and/or never leave your PC and/or are not interested to watch landscape points of interest from your 777

Comment

Originally posted by Simicro View Post
                    Because probably you don't do long flights and/or never leave your PC and/or are not interested to watch landscape points of interest from your 777
                    I do mostly long routes when im at work.. yeah no if i was into landscape i would just fly MSFS. More of an airliner guy

Alex Kulak
                    PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

airliner guy
                      You know, real life airliners pilots also like to watch at beautiful skies, clouds, landscapes, sunsets, dawns, etc. Being an airliner pilot does not mean watching at the instruments all the time.

Comment

I always encourage others to submit support tickets for feature requests, but since you asked for feedback: Not interested at all.
                        Dan Downs KCRP
                        i7-10700K 32GB 3600MHz 2080Ti

Comment

• Simicro
                          Simicro commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks for your feedback Dan.

Could you "trick" the TOD pause by putting a fix say 20 nm after your intended pause fix and insert a lower altitude target for it, creating a TOD near your intended fix?
                        Zach Alcantar
                        MSI GE75 Raider 9SF laptop -Windows 10 version 1909 -i9-9880H -RTX 2070 8GB -32 GB DDR4 -V5 HF2

Comment

• DDowns
                          DDowns commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Once your FMS enters the descent mode it stays there, you cannot return to cruise mode.

• Pilatuz
                          Pilatuz commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Well what if you take it out of VNAV and just plain ALT hold. The TOD should stay there and the FMS wouldn't initiate any descent right?

I find it sad to leave his computer while letting the plane fly ... I don't leave the screen much, but I am a very big fan of the PMDG time accelerator.... and on that I would say that I would miss it for the world a sunrise or sunset
                        Cedrice Rive

Comment

So in today's age we have two sims now one ment for training and studying the other ment for visualization. Now maybe this could be a added feature for the NG3 as it will play a bigger part in the scenery aspect like state above.

Actually since on the subject airline pilots don't have the luxury of pausing and looking at scenery. Better yet on their days off they just non rev that place if they have time and if covid wasn't a thing lol
                          Last edited by Swaluver88; 22Nov2020, 19:21.
                          Alex Kulak
                          PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

I like the idea, but don't see it as a priority. But I also like the 'pause before descent'-feature and never use it! The reason is that I look at the FMC how long I have until I have to plan the approach, or execute a step climb, or reach border point x, or whatever, and then look at my watch and calculate at what hour real time I'll have to get back to the machine.
                            Cheers
                            Lars Wüst

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Lars View Post
                              I like the idea, but don't see it as a priority.
                              Sure it is more a Nice have than a Must have.

Comment

I think the idea has merit, but whether it is feasible to implement is another issue. I don't understand the negative sentiment behind the idea - if you didn't want to use the feature, keep it disabled like plenty of other settings.
                                David Porrett
                                Sea Pilot
                                CPL, ME, CFI, IFR
                                Mooney M20M (G500/GTN)

Comment

I could see some use in this feature, less for pausing at a POI than for example pausing at a STAR entrance or something. We all love those airports with 300NM STARs in the States where you'll long be on the STAR before the T/D, don't we? This might save you the hassle of having to reprogram everything if you are halfway through the STAR by the time your pause at T/D feature activates.

To date I have survived well without it though. If there is some spare capacity on a developer who really has nothing else to do I'd say it would be a nice addition.

As Dan did above I'd suggest you to raise a ticket as well. Maybe just point them here in the ticket since you asked for opinions as well and there are quite some of them here now.

Comment

• Simicro
                                    Simicro commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Thanks for your feedback. I'll submit a support ticket end of this week, pointing to this thread.

Would love to see this feature, even simply "Pause XXX miles from TOD." The current implementation (20nm before TOD or something like that?) doesn't give me enough time to run my approach briefing procedures and descent checklist using FS2Crew.
                                  Andrew De Forest
                                  Ryzen 3950X | RTX 2080Ti | 32GB DDR4 (3200MHz) | Prepar3Dv5

Comment

• Simicro
                                    Simicro commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    I'm in the same situation using FS2Crew too

• olafie
                                    olafie commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    FS2Crew has noted in their manuals that those descent checks and procedures have to start at 150NM before TOD, should be plenty of time...

Originally posted by adf View Post
                                  Would love to see this feature, even simply "Pause XXX miles from TOD." The current implementation (20nm before TOD or something like that?) doesn't give me enough time to run my approach briefing procedures and descent checklist using FS2Crew.
                                  In fact, what would be good would be to be able to define your own pause distance which is 20nm from the TOD by default in the PMDG option.
                                  (1 hour before the descent for a long flight and 30 minutes for a domestic flight is what this fact is "generally" for the preparation)
                                  Cedrice Rive

Comment

Working...
                                  X