Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

[20NOV20] Various Project News Updates, 777-200ER Beta and P3D Hotfix notes

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[20NOV20] Various Project News Updates, 777-200ER Beta and P3D Hotfix notes

Captains,

Danger- wall of text. 😋 I wish I had some pretty pictures for you this week- but instead I am going to avail myself to The Theater of Your Mind. I have lots to tell you- so read on!

It has been 23 years since our first release:
    PMDG has been engaged in development for the sim community for 23 years, and we are quietly marking the anniversary of the release of our first-ever product 23 years ago this week. It seems stunning to me in particular that after so much time we still continue to develop, expand simulation and improve our own products after so much time. Call it a happy accident, call it good fortune, call it what you will but as the original member of what has become a large, international diverse team I hope you will accept my thanks for what has been a really fun time.

This little moment in time that we occupy is the strangest in the 23 years during which we have been at this. The community that makes up PMDG customers is eagerly awaiting us to bring our flagship 737, 747 and 777 products into the new Microsoft Flight Simulator platform, while also eagerly awaiting us to fulfill a few longtime project goals such as the 777-200ER, modernization of our LNAV and flight director modules, release of Global Flight Operations, and of course- internally at PMDG we are eager to put our focus more fully on an entirely new product line not yet in our stable of airplane offerings.

Development for MSFS is not going badly- but it isn't going fast, either:
    There is more work than we can shoulder, but also a bit more dynamism in the simming community than we are used to as nobody can really predict how much longer it will be before we can bring you our high-end simulations in Asobo's absolutely beautiful simulation environment. I would be lying to you if I tried to distract attention away from the fact that our MSFS development process is *painfully* slow. Far, far slower than we would like. We continue to chip away at the barriers and Asobo has been doing yeoman's work fixing things that we find, correcting things that we squawk, and moving mountains to implement things that we ask for, but at this point we just keep sliding the potential release timeline for any PMDG products in MSFS further and further out on the calendar.

As we watch 2020 dwindle, the planning scope for PMDG 737NG3, our first release for MSFS begins to look more and more like it is still more than a year over the horizon- and while this is frustrating to us, it is simply the reality we deal with in trying to work with a new platform that is still growing into what it ultimately wishes to become. There are many challenges ahead- and the road is difficult from a development standpoint- but work continues.

The 777 is getting a whole new outlook on life:
    On the Prepar3D side of the house, we continue to make progress on the a massive update for the PMDG 777-200LR/F and PMDG 777-300ER products. Since much of the development team is idled while we retool the core of our simulation engine to work with MSFS, we figured it was the perfect time to bring this airplane to life- and I am happy to report that we anticipate the updated 777 going into beta testing later today, at last. I don't really have a feel for how long it will be in testing, as many of the changes to the 777 product line are pretty invasive so we want to give the beta team a good whack at breaking it before we roll it out to all of you in the form of a product update hopefully in December.

Following right on it's heels will be the release of the PMDG 777-200ER expansion that so many of you have been asking us to create for the better part of 7 years. This expansion will include the Pratt & Whitney, Rolls Royce and GE engine options available for the 200ER airframe, along with their associated performance and customized sounds. We are bringing the EFB into the 777 product line along with the 200ER product line, along with all of it's associated functionality and a few other goodies we will show you as we get closer to release. I hope to begin previewing that product for you once we have handed it to the beta team for them to begin working.

As part of this update and new expansion product cycle, we are laying the groundwork for the 777X. We don't have the data we need for that one yet- but we are working on it.

PMDG Global Flight Operations is about to become a part of your simming experience:
    The 777 update will enable the 777 fleet in PMDG Global Flight Operations, which is rapidly approaching unveiling and Phase I of release. We are currently planning out some "brochure-ware" (I hate that phrase, but that is what they call it in the trades) to get you excited about what Global Flight Operations has to offer- and we will have more information about the phased release that is planned so that we can properly test up the use-of-resources model upon which all of it is based. I wrote the original spec-doc for GFO back in 2008, and I am beyond excited that Chris and Henning and the GFO team are finally staring down a release deadline. This product has been a long time coming and we cannot wait to throw open the doors and invite you all in!

Initially, products compatible with PMDG Global Flight Operations will include the PMDG 737NGXu, PMDG 777 and PMDG 747 product lines, but only in Prepar3D. We are preparing the API that Aerosoft will be using to add some of their products to the GFO universe- but we haven't handed it over to them just yet. That is coming.

Prepar3D Got Updated: Here is what you need to know
    The fine folks at Lockheed Martin have finally dropped Prepar3D v5.1 and many of you have already updated. We have been testing our products internally using the various beta versions of 5.1 and at this juncture we don't see any reason to issue compatibility updates urgently. There are a few things we will tweak on each product line, mostly texture/reflection related, but first we want to be certain that the changes we are addressing are intentional on the part of LM and not accidental items that will then be reversed or corrected in a subsequent update, thus obviating any changes we make to tweak these items.

Stay tuned for news on that, as always...

A closing thought:
    Oh- and in closing: A few folks have been beating on the forum admins demanding updates on this-or-that. A few of them have even gotten themselves into trouble by spouting off in a manner that really isn't appropriate in a friendly user environment so I am including here a short reminder that I am a big fan of "don't say anything unless you have something worthwhile to say." That has been my approach to information flow for 23+ years... When we are intensely busy, we tend not to say much as the work takes priority. When we have something to show or significant changes/clarity to provide- we provide it. If we decide that some bit of information cannot be shared at the present time, then we won't share it, which makes perfect sense if you stop and think about it.

While I recognize that some folks feel that a constant flow of posts represents information- the reality is that it wastes your time and ours if we have nothing to truly tell you. So hang in there- and check back and engage in conversation with us and with your fellow users. You will find some great friends here in the PMDG user community and of course, occasionally I'll throw something up in this forum that will tell you something new that you didn't already know- or clarify/change information you already had.

It works. Trust us.

Additionally, I want to point out that all of us on this rock called earth have been living through hell this year. No matter where you are, or what your life situation is normally, your life has likely been turned upside down and it is natural to feel a bit of stress, anger and venom that results from the global chaos we are all living through. This whole Covid thing is a human experience. All of us are dealing with it in whatever way we can- and some folks handle the stress a bit better than others. Please remember that everyone in this forum is rowing his own little boat the best way he/she knows how- and there really isn't any circumstance in which anyone should feel that it is acceptable to unload a bucket of anger on another forum user.

So- if someone here frustrates you- please just take a deep breath and let it ride. Chances are it is a miscommunication. If it is something serious- hit the alert button and get a forum admin involved. We have some handy tools to make antagonism stop and we can even airbrush them out of the family photos like they used to do to the old dictators who would fall out of favor. Just don't act up in such a way that the one we are making disappear is you. We hate having to do that.

Okay folks- that is all from me for this update. Sorry for the wall of text, but there was just no way to put all of this into picture form. 😁😁😁
    Robert S. Randazzo
    PMDG Simulations
    http://www.pmdg.com

First ! Thanks a lot Robert ! I just love your update, especially the 777 part ! You guys at PMDG are just awesome.
    I'll do everything to get GFO on Day 1.

Cheers,
    Last edited by BrunoT; 20Nov2020, 09:34.
    Thimote Brunot
    PMDG 737 & 747/8 & 777

Comment

Thanks for the update, and congrats on 23 years of business! D a m n, I can’t wait for the 777s, they finally seem to be close!
      Anton Vind
      CPU: i9-9900K, GPU: RTX 2080 SUPER, RAM: 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz, Drives: 2 TB SSD

Comment

Any changes in plans regarding *MAX*?
        Matthew Chalupniczak

Comment

• rsrandazzo
          rsrandazzo commented
          Editing a comment
          Matthew- None that we can share at this juncture. - RSR

I'm very excited for the new 777 update also looking forward to the preview. Thank you sir.
        Mert Aydın

Comment

Absolutely great news. Cannot wait to fly the beautiful 777 more often than I already do. I'm a proud customer of you guys and I'll always be! Thank you for you great work and effort in these gorgeous aircraft.

Johnno Roskam
          Proud PMDG pilot
          KLM Ramp agent

Comment

What and when was your first release?
            I think I’ve been here from them.
            Time goes by so fast...

Stay safe everyone.
            Iñigo Bayo

Comment

• rsrandazzo
              rsrandazzo commented
              Editing a comment
              The 747-400 PS1 User's Guide. I wrote it to help users of that groundbreaking new simulator learn how to operate the systems of the airplane properly. (It is in fact where the "manuals" comes from in our name...) After that I shifted to simulations and never looked back... -RSR

Thanks boss
            Alex Kulak
            PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

Oooooooo 777X!!!! That's what I'm most eager to have along with the -200ER obviously. Thank you sir
              Michele Benedetti

Comment

About time! So excited for the 777 update, EFB, -200ER, eventual 777X, and of course, GFO. And I hope that mystery product is going to be a 787, because we badly need a decent 787 in P3D!
                Craig Norman

Comment

777X
                  Michael Boeck
                  " i7-6950X Rampage V Edition 10 HyperX DDR4 32GB RTX 2080 Duke OC LG-34UM95-P "

Comment

Thanks for this much anticipated update.

Since you mentioned the new LNAV and FD modules: Is there any time frame when they are going to be released?

Comment

• rsrandazzo
                      rsrandazzo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Initial estimate is mid 2019... Welcome to my world. :-) - RSR

Look forward to flying the 777 during Christmas time. Congratulate your hard works for the last 23 years and many more to come. You guys are unbeatable!!!
                    Lam Luu Phu

Comment

Thanks for the update!

Your honesty about MSFS and the progress (or lack of) being made with the platform is refreshing and needed. There has been so much emphasis on moving from P3D to MSFS from some enthusiasts that the cold, hard reality is sometimes just what people need to be faced with.

I'm excited about the 777 update, and the 200ER expansion. The 200ER has been the workhorse of many long-haul airlines so it'll be nice to finally have a true depiction of one in the sim. The 777X news is fantastic, too.

Regarding the demand for information, I think we can all do better. I tend not to hound for updates because, well, no news tends to be good news as it means people are working on the projects we're all excited about. That said, promising further news, in two update posts, and then not providing it on either occasion, will leave some people frustrated.

If you then put that through the 'covid mixer' of life's stresses and the uncertainty we all face on a daily basis, it leads to an opportunity for people in this community to project their major concerns on to minor concerns like 'when is this update coming?!?'. I'm guilty of that -- I have plenty to be concerned about but, in an act of distraction, I worry about minor issues instead. I can't address the major concerns because they're out of my hands.

In conclusion, I appreciate your update and I hope all is as well with you as it possibly can be. And if you need someone to just chat with, I'd be happy to lend an ear.
                      Robert Sutherland

Comment

Originally posted by Xiropillo View Post
                        What and when was your first release?
                        I think I’ve been here from them.
                        Time goes by so fast...

Stay safe everyone.
                        That would have been a 757 for the Fly!II platform I believe. Before that it was literally a manual for the Aerowinx 747 if my fading memory serves me correctly.
                        David Porrett
                        Sea Pilot
                        CPL, ME, CFI, IFR
                        Mooney M20M (G500/GTN)

Comment

I am soo excited for 777-200ER!!!! 😁😀
                          Kendall Carlile

Comment

Thanks Robert, us oldies appreciate a wall of text from time to time. I can understand the huge workload that P3D is generating with constant changes and updates.
                            Jude Bradley
                            System specs: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i9-9900KF Gigabyte Z390, RTX-2070, 32GB RAM Prepar3D V5 X-Plane 11.50 Beta tester for MS2020

Comment

Thanks for the update!

Hopefully we'll see the 200ER before q3 next year!
                              Alex Ridge - EGKK

Comment

Rob thank you very much for the update, I hope to be able to have the update of the 777 soon and as I also hope the B767 yesterday I dreamed of the one that finally was the P3D and that the PMDG team was responsible for bringing it to life. Thanks again for everything Rob and PMDG
                                Steven Silva

Comment

Wonderful news about the B772ER! And can`t wait for GFO to go live!

However no news regarding an update for the BBJ with the right engines (27K not 24K) that I hope they will adress for a later update..
                                  Kim R Fjeldstad

Comment

Pretty much as expected.
                                    If the 737 is out with the schedule already going backwards by May/Jun 22 i wont be surprised.
                                    Given the rapid advances in P3D’s lighting and cloud depictions by then a large number will have lost interest.
                                    MSFS is limited by DX11 which already bottlenecks its performance imagine the job to bring a great aircraft into something that chugs with default aircraft.
                                    Good luck to the Pmdg team but every day P3D is still to me looking a better option.
                                    id say a huge number of Pmdg users are heavily invested in P3D with scenery and aircraft if P3Ds lighting continues to improve at the current rate msfs could well become redundant saving us a fortune on rebuying hundreds of sceneries.
                                    Interesting times...
                                    Looking forward to the triple massively.
                                    Darren Howie

Comment

Originally posted by DavidP View Post

That would have been a 757 for the Fly!II platform I believe. Before that it was literally a manual for the Aerowinx 747 if my fading memory serves me correctly.
                                      Thanks!

I was later than that then. 737 for FS9 I think.
                                      Iñigo Bayo

Comment

• DavidP
                                        DavidP commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        The first thing I bought from this outfit called PMDG was the manual for Aerowinx. Of course, doing the math that would have been in 1997. Think I have bought just about everything PMDG have made.

Thanks for the update Robert.
                                      Sylvester Archibald

Comment

Hi All

One question I've been asking myself is should i invest in new addons for my p3d or wait and wait on the MS2020.
                                        I would love to invest in the new 777 but how long would that last ? Many developers seem to have switched to MS2020 (sceneries airports mainly), i'm just afraid P3d will slowly die.
                                        Maybe rsrandazzo could give some hints...
                                        Klaus Legrand

Comment

• RichardMcDonaldWoods
                                          RichardMcDonaldWoods commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          Please post your full name in your signature as required by the rules.
                                          I feel that P3D will continue to be the only realistic aircraft simulator for commercial aircraft for as far into the future as we can see.
                                          Eventually, maybe, FS2020 will overtake P3D, but I am not holding my breath.
                                          An LM development of a Google Maps replacement for the current P3D scenery, and we may then be able to see further into the P3D future.
                                          In the end, of course, the choice is yours!

• rsrandazzo
                                          rsrandazzo commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          Nameless- I can certainly give some insight from our point of view- but you gotta sign your posts first. :-) -RSR

Robert, will this update include the 777 in P3Dv4.5 as well, please?
                                        From Dave Taylor at the seaside.

Comment

• Ephedrin
                                          Ephedrin commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          Yes

Originally posted by alphaklg View Post
                                        Hi All

One question I've been asking myself is should i invest in new addons for my p3d or wait and wait on the MS2020.
                                        I would love to invest in the new 777 but how long would that last ? Many developers seem to have switched to MS2020 (sceneries airports mainly), i'm just afraid P3d will slowly die.
                                        MSFS is years off being anywhere near a competitor to P3D for complex airliners. If that's what you fly, you should not worry because P3D is not going away for a while (if ever).
                                        - Karl Brooker

Comment

• cedrice.rive@yahoo.fr
                                          [email protected] commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          This is quite true the users are quite conservative, keep in mind that there are still a lot of FSX users so even with MSFS there will still be P3D users

nice to see the 777 updates are going into beta

will the updated 777 be a free upgrade for existing 777 owners or will it be a paid upgrade?
                                        David Sampson

Comment

Originally posted by Shifor View Post
                                          nice to see the 777 updates are going into beta

will the updated 777 be a free upgrade for existing 777 owners or will it be a paid upgrade?

Please add a signature to your profile in order to ensure that your posts are signed, real name first and last.. You were advised/agreed to this requirement when initially establishing an account. Thank you!

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-fo...pdated-25feb19

As we have stated in the past this will be a free update for P3D users. The update will be only for P3Dv4 and P3Dv5.
                                          Chris Makris (Olympic260)
                                          PMDG Technical Support

Comment

Originally posted by alphaklg View Post
                                            Hi All

Please add a signature to your profile in order to ensure that your posts are signed, real name first and last.. You were advised/agreed to this requirement when initially establishing an account. Thank you!

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-fo...pdated-25feb19

If you consider that the NG3 which will be the first plane ported to the MSFS2020 is a year plus away and after that the 777 would be needed to be converted as well without being able to say now if the 777 will be after the NG3 or the 747 I think answers your question
                                            Chris Makris (Olympic260)
                                            PMDG Technical Support

Comment

Thank you Robert! congratulations on a great 23 years.

Greg
                                              Greg Morin
                                              Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Comment

Working...
                                              X