Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

[POLL] caring about which airports you land at

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[POLL] caring about which airports you land at

Do you guys care what airports you fly into? Or do you fly into airports yiu only have scenery for?
    default & Addon scenery
    39.75%
    Strictly Addon
    57.41%
    or only default
    2.84%
    Alex Kulak
    PMDG Studier and flyer

Addon almost exclusively. But since I have more than 100 addon airports installed, larger and smaller, I have a good number of choices.
    i7-6700k, GTX 1080TI, 32GB DDR4 RAM @2666MHz, 4k
    Marc Ehnle

Comment

Strictly add-on. The quality in the default airports in P3D just isn't there. And as I'm sure you know, I do live streams, so flying into a default airport just doesn't look good, either.
      Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

Originally posted by Swaluver88 View Post
        Do you guys care what airports you fly into? Or do you fly into airports yiu only have scenery for?
        Alex, the issue is questioned such that it is implied that if you select 'default or add-on' then they are used equally. I gotta respond none of above. If there was a choice for 'rarely add-on' I'd pick that one. Especially with GFO, where I might pick up a flight at a location that I do not have an add-on scenery for or locations like KONT and KCVG where significant cargo operations exist yet no suitable add-ons are available.
        Dan Downs KCRP
        i7-10700K 32GB 3600MHz 2080Ti

Comment

Originally posted by DDowns View Post

Alex, the issue is questioned such that it is implied that if you select 'default or add-on' then they are used equally. I gotta respond none of above. If there was a choice for 'rarely add-on' I'd pick that one. Especially with GFO, where I might pick up a flight at a location that I do not have an add-on scenery for or locations like KONT and KCVG where significant cargo operations exist yet no suitable add-ons are available.
          Thats what the first one is for. Without breaking my NDA. This poll resembles a specific fact that may be excavated in the future
          Alex Kulak
          PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

I use a mix of add-on, default, and custom scenery. My method for choosing flights typically takes me all over the place, and sometimes even to airports that aren't in the simulator forcing me to create them myself. If there is a good add-on airport available, I will consider getting it, but typically will only do so if I can be sure that it is up-to-date. I've made the mistake before of purchasing an airport add-on, only to find that it is woefully outdated and does not match the current airport layout at all. To me, that is almost worse than sticking with the default airport, which I am at least able to update to a somewhat reasonable representation (in my view, at least) of the current airport layout. I'd say that somewhere around 5%-10% of the airports that I have flown to over the course of my flight sim experience have been at least minimally customized, with a few of those having been created completely from scratch. Out of the rest of the airports that I have visited, most of them have been default with probably about a third being add-on (both freeware and payware).
            Tim Lincoln
            My YouTube Channel

Comment

All my airport destinations are those that I built with ADE

Bode Bridges
              I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam

Comment

I always use addon airports. I never use default because they don't look as beautiful as many of the addon airports I've seen.
                Craig Norman

Comment

Originally posted by CANorm91 View Post
                  I always use addon airports. I never use default because they don't look as beautiful as many of the addon airports I've seen.
                  But it limits your portfolio
                  Alex Kulak
                  PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

My portfolio is limited to the main hub airports I have sceneries for, and I'm progressively building them up, largely when sales are on in order to save costs.
                    Craig Norman

Comment

That's true. When I look at Skyvector I often think there are nice regions I miss out. But when I fly airliners I enjoy the system management at altitude and don't mind overly about scenery. But when I take off, taxi or land I want to have some eye candy. And with all my airports there are tousands of combinations possible.
                      i7-6700k, GTX 1080TI, 32GB DDR4 RAM @2666MHz, 4k
                      Marc Ehnle

Comment

Honestly I'm not obsessed with add-on sceneries, but I tend (try) to buy them quite a lot.
                        However, if there's a VA flight, or something else so that I have to fly to/from that airport, I can go with default without too much hassle. But it's also true that when I plan my flights, 99% of the times I choose airports for which I have add-on sceneries for.
                        Giovanni D. Tarar
                        FAA CPL+IR Single & Multiengine Land
                        I love flying when I'm in a bad mood

Comment

Stricly addon, however that includes freeware sceneries which upgrade default airports. Maybe not just enhanced AFCADs, but there are some excellent freeware sceneries available, like Heringsdorf, which can beat a lot of payware addons!

Comment

Depends on sim also, on p3d strictly addon, on msfs2020 i do both because the default appears better and the flights are more casual at the moment ; on xp i also do both since the gateway system works well to keep most airport layouts updated
                            Yuchen LENG

Comment

I travel everywhere. Conservative estimate, 50 or so add on airports around the globe. However about half my flying is done mostly with Orbx’s Oceania terrains and airports.
                              Jeannette Benoit

Comment

I like to fly Atlas military charter flights sometimes so that means Air Force bases with no payware add-on. Other than that I use payware add-on.
                                Victor Green

Comment

Addon only. I have just about every airline airport for the USA. Only one of interest missing is Indianapolis. But I understand a freeware is in the works.
                                  Dave Gray

Comment

Originally posted by micstatic View Post
                                    Addon only. I have just about every airline airport for the USA. Only one of interest missing is Indianapolis. But I understand a freeware is in the works.
                                    So dayton?
                                    Alex Kulak
                                    PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

• micstatic
                                      micstatic commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      don't have that one either

I feel fine as long as the taxiway and gate are up-to-date so I can follow the navigraph chart for taxi. Most default airport in V4 is out of date, but I'm OK with some AFCAD/ADE update, no 3D building or custome ground layer Strictly needed.
                                    However there are some case that a full AFCAD/ADE with modified "default" building got less FPS than a full custome 3D payware add-on.....
                                    ZHU Hai
                                    B737 Ground instructor

Comment

I usually go for the main airports with addon scenery. With the BBJ set to come out, that may force me to rely on some more default airports since there is no addon scenery for many of the secondary airfields that would be more likely to see business jets. Van Nuys, Williams Gateway (KIWA), KSDL (probably wouldn't accept a BBJ in real life due to runway weight restrictions), and many others that don't have addon scenery available.
                                      -Spencer Hoefer

Comment

Originally posted by Bluestar View Post
                                        All my airport destinations are those that I built with ADE
                                        basically how i operate now also. before i go anywhere new i have to check it out in ade to make sure everything important is correct. sometimes that requires a fair amount of work on updating. in those cases (or if i have to build it from scratch because it doesn't exist) i'll release them on avsim as freeware.

the default level of detail is fine enough for me. runways and taxiways need to match the charts, parking/gates in correct positions, but buildings are fine as generic as long as generally in the correct positions.

i've never paid for an addon airport and have no intention of doing so.

Mike Teague - p3dv5 - B736 B737 B738 B739 B744 B748

Comment

Mostly add-ons for me, occasionally I will endure a default airport enhanced with various textures. Fly at night and you can't see how bad it is
                                          Zsolt Szivak

Comment

There are airport texture addons that help somewhat with refreshing the default airports, but of course ADE is probably the best option for updated afcads.
                                            -Spencer Hoefer

Comment

One thing I must say for defaults is the performance bonus can be a welcome trade for the bling of a nice but heavy payware. And as previously stated it sure opens a lot more of the world if you can learn to live with the default airport for the time you're preflighting and taxing out and in. I imagine like most I have several airports I have bought and could count on the fingers of one hand how many times I have used them.
                                              Victor Green

Comment

I have probably 20+ addon airports in the USA. I use them 90% of the time. I hate the default airports with houses right next to the runway, or water towers and trees right before threshold. Plus the perfect straight lines where grass meets the pavement drives me crazy. I wish I can learn how to edit default scenery.
                                                Paul Gugliotta

Comment

• Want2BFlyin
                                                  Want2BFlyin commented
                                                  Editing a comment
                                                  Obstacles near the threshold are not completely unheard of. The airport where I received my PPL had a forest of 50+ foot tall trees just a few feet away from the threshold of one end of the runway. If you were coming in to land from that direction, you literally could not see the threshold of the runway until you were over it and had to hope that there was no one sitting on the end of the runway getting ready to take off (it was not a busy airport and everyone knew to pay close attention to the radio, so thankfully this never happened that I know of). It did an excellent job of teaching me how to get into an airport with a short runway with obstacles on the approach (and conversely how to get out of an airport with a short runway and obstacles on the departure).

Unfortunately FSX/P3D have never done a good job of portraying the trees near this airport. MSFS2020 does a bit better, but it still isn't quite perfect.

I haven't purchased scenery since the FS4 days. Flying a jet more or less boils down to going from one slab of concrete to the next.
                                                William Holland

Comment

Add-on airports are like crack. Once you start using them you can't go back to vanilla. The default P3D airports are a complete immersion breaker and make me feel sad to look at. Luckily I've been able to spoil myself over the years.
                                                  Louis Vallance | P3D v5.1 HF1 (no shaders) | i9-9900K (OC @4.8GHz) | RTX 2080 | 32GB

Comment

• DDowns
                                                    DDowns commented
                                                    Editing a comment
                                                    I'm not addicted... I have 140+ add-on airports plus about 15 ADE vanilla updates but that's not all of them out there. I can control myself!

• Dan Morand
                                                    Dan Morand commented
                                                    Editing a comment
                                                    Somebody sedate Dan and hide his credit card lol.

Another thought here - I have about 80+ airport add-ons myself and in general, that is how I roll - but when I do land at a default airport now and then I am amazed at how much more fluid the simulation becomes. There is something to be said about that...

Mark Trainer

Mark Trainer

Comment

I operate the other way round. I've never not flown to a destination because of the lack of scenery. I buy addons for airports I know I will use frequently. For occasional destinations I'll look for freeware alternatives and modify the ADE to bring ILS frequencies up to date and correct issues with P3D. If there's no freeware then I'll try the default.

Some of the default major airports are acceptable. Very few default airports are totally unusable. For me the flight is more important than the scenery.

Some cities with iconic skylines are very poorly represented in default scenery so I'll invest in payware scenery for those in preference to the airport if good freeware is available.
                                                    Last edited by Kevin Hall; 01Oct2020, 11:42.

Comment

I think I own 4 addon airports, and only occasionally visit them. Orbx regions excluded. I'm almost strictly default, especially since V5 updated and added some missing runways. I guess what has held me back is the (perceived) performance tradeoffs. I usually only fly on the weekends, and my work week is spent planning out and daydreaming about my next flight. My departures and destinations often have a backstory to them, whether real or imagined. Simming is truly a great escape from reality.
                                                      Matt Sweet

Comment

Working...
                                                      X