Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

[26SEP20] Let's Get Down to Business, Shall We?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have to say that I think the two mystery planes in the works are the 787 and the 737 MAX. RSR loves to embed hints in the screenshots he posts, and I think the 787s in the screenshot he posted are absolutely NOT coincidental. As much as I'd love to see a proper study-level 757/767 series, I just think the 787 is where the money is at.

And that's OK. I think a PMDG 787 would be badass.

737 MAX would make a lot of sense, as they could reuse some of the avionics from the 787.

Guess we'll see if I'm right. I know the PMDG folks are probably having a good chuckle over all of our guesses on this topic!
    Chris Parrott

Comment

Originally posted by orangebird View Post
      Have to say that I think the two mystery planes in the works are the 787 and the 737 MAX. RSR loves to embed hints in the screenshots he posts, and I think the 787s in the screenshot he posted are absolutely NOT coincidental. As much as I'd love to see a proper study-level 757/767 series, I just think the 787 is where the money is at.

And that's OK. I think a PMDG 787 would be badass.

737 MAX would make a lot of sense, as they could reuse some of the avionics from the 787.

Guess we'll see if I'm right. I know the PMDG folks are probably having a good chuckle over all of our guesses on this topic!
      Totally agree. Couldn't be better than 737 MAX and 787. It is absolutely not coincidental that the 787 is included in that picture. Why would anybody take a picture from that angle, if it wasn't to include the 787 on purpose?
      Anton Vind
      CPU: i9-9900K, GPU: RTX 2080 SUPER, RAM: 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz, Drives: 2 TB SSD

Comment

This is just to tease us and put us of the actual target aircraft.
        Danny Z.Cebis

Comment

I think that the images are you make you think the 787. I think the image with the 787 is just because it is take from a Boeing facility.

Robert said " that you have always asked us to create…" The 757 / 767 is my guess. Many of us that have been around since the early 2000s have been asking PMDG to make the 757 / 767 since FS2002/FS2004. They had made it in the past for a older sim called Fly! II.

Jonathan Brad

Part of the flight sim world since 1981

Comment

• BodoM
            BodoM commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree 100%. So I still hope for the 757/767.

Originally posted by CX 747-400 View Post
          I think that the images are you make you think the 787. I think the image with the 787 is just because it is take from a Boeing facility.

Robert said " that you have always asked us to create…" The 757 / 767 is my guess. Many of us that have been around since the early 2000s have been asking PMDG to make the 757 / 767 since FS2002/FS2004. They had made it in the past for a older sim called Fly! II.
          But there's no money in a 757/767 because they're disappearing from real-world usage (except maybe the 767-400ER). Don't forget, if PMDG start on a 787 for example, it'll be a good 2-3 years before it's released. In 2-3 years the reduction in 757 and 767 in service will be greater, and the number of 787s in service will also be greater. RSR has always said they'd make aircraft you see at airports, especially after the MD11 sold poorly. Since the CoViD-19 pandemic, that will be now greatly skewed towards the modern, fuel-efficient twins. That means 787s, 777s, 737 MAXs.
          Last edited by squerble; 05Oct2020, 10:03.
          - Karl Brooker

Comment

• Mickel
            Mickel commented
            Editing a comment
            Not sure the ‘what you see at airports’ entirely stacks up:
            737NG, yep absolutely
            747? These days it’s because it’s a 747, which is a perfectly good reason.
            JS4100?
            77L/F? The 77W kinda fits. But not as well as the 777-200ER
            DC-6?
            So there is plenty of scope for obscure things like 767s or 727s, or Woodpigeons (Mk.II with the Anzani 6, of course)

• squerble
            squerble commented
            Editing a comment
            Mickel But you're listing the existing products. This is for future development.

Originally posted by squerble View Post

But there's no money in a 757/767 because they're disappearing from real-world usage (except maybe the 767-400ER). Don't forget, if PMDG start on a 787 for example, it'll be a good 2-3 years before it's released. In 2-3 years the reduction in 757 and 767 in service will be greater, and the number of 787s in service will also be greater. RSR has always said they'd make aircraft you see at airports, especially after the MD11 sold poorly. Since the CoViD-19 pandemic, that will be now greatly skewed towards the modern, fuel-efficient twins. That means 787s, 777s, 737 MAXs.
          You may right but the 757/767 is something that is massively missing in the Virtual sim World but everyone wants it and since the LDS 767 no one did it. I think a development make sense!

Regards from Cologne,
          Tobi

Comment

But there's no money in a 757/767 because they're disappearing from real-world usage (except maybe the 767-400ER).
            Interesting that some people always know where the money for PMDG is and where not. You should be a consultant for them.
            Bodo Müller
            Globe Cargo Virtual Airlines.
            A Virtual Airline for Polar and Atlas Air

Comment

But there's no money in a 757/767 because they're disappearing from real-world usage

remember cargo

Originally posted by 767 wikipedia entry

In its first quarter of 2018 earnings report, Boeing plan to increase its production from 2.5 to 3 monthly beginning in January 2020 due to increased demand in the cargo market, as FedEx had 56 on order, UPS has four, and an unidentified customer has three on order. This rate could rise to 3.5 per month in July 2020 and 4 per month in January 2021, before decreasing to 3 per month in January 2025 and then 2 per month in July 2025
              Mike Teague - p3dv5 - B736 B737 B738 B739 B744 B748

Comment

Chances are, they might have been working on a 787 for years, but with the obvious NDAs, people can only guess until the NDA has finally be lifted, but I still believe that the next major project will be the 787.
                Craig Norman

Comment

They simply can’t miss the 787, it’s so obvious to develop in so many aspects.
                  Anton Vind

Comment

How much progress has been made in terms of new aircraft development?Or have you just decided which aircraft to develop and will you start now?I'm very curious to see how long it will take to release the former and the latter, because I think the time frame for the latter is very different.Of course, I'm also curious about what the aircraft will be.

Kouki Yamagishi

Comment

Originally posted by Kouki Yamagishi View Post
                      How much progress has been made in terms of new aircraft development?Or have you just decided which aircraft to develop and will you start now?I'm very curious to see how long it will take to release the former and the latter, because I think the time frame for the latter is very different.Of course, I'm also curious about what the aircraft will be.

Kouki Yamagishi
                      One of the projects is about to be tested, whether that's alpha or beta testing, I do not know, but I guess it's beta, so it'll probably be out in 1Q/2Q 2021. The other project has just begun, so that'll be a couple of years at the very least - probaly three or four years till that one is out.
                      Anton Vind

Comment

Originally posted by Anton Vind View Post

One of the projects is about to be tested, whether that's alpha or beta testing, I do not know, but I guess it's beta, so it'll probably be out in 1Q/2Q 2021. The other project has just begun, so that'll be a couple of years at the very least - probaly three or four years till that one is out.
                        I hope that, if one of the projects is definitely a 787, it's the one that's going to be first.
                        Craig Norman

Comment

Originally posted by CANorm91 View Post
                          I hope that, if one of the projects is definitely a 787, it's the one that's going to be first.
                          I think it’s the 737 MAX that is about to be tested, and then they’ve just begun working on the 787. Of course I hope the opposite, but unfortunately I don’t think that is the case :-)
                          Anton Vind

Comment

If they do release the max in short order, I just might get the NGXu...
                            Ilari Kousa, Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Ilari Kousa View Post
                              If they do release the max in short order, I just might get the NGXu...
                              Not necessarily sure that it’ll be released as an expansion. If the 748 was supposed to be a standalone product, then the 737 MAX could definitely serve as a standalone product as well.
                              Anton Vind

Comment

I think it’s the 737 MAX that is about to be tested, and then they’ve just begun working on the 787. Of course I hope the opposite, but unfortunately I don’t think that is the case :-)
                                They wouldn't say it was a secret project if they've already talked about making a MAX in the past. Plus, it's still too soon since the MCAS drama has only just been sorted out, and PMDG may very well need more time to recode the MCAS logic to match the real reprogrammed system. So I'm betting on the 787.
                                Craig Norman

Comment

They wouldn't say it was a secret project if they've already talked about making a MAX in the past. Plus, it's still too soon since the MCAS drama has only just been sorted out, and PMDG may very well need more time to recode the MCAS logic to match the real reprogrammed system. So I'm betting on the 787.
                                  eehhh it may be faster than you think tbh. definitely would see the MAX way before that secret project even gets previewed.
                                  Alex Kulak
                                  PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

Well what RSR said was that it was a product that we haven’t seen yet, which is applicable for the MAX. But yeah I agree on the MCAS issue... wondering what it is then. Of course I hope it’s the 787, but I just can’t believe that we potentially have a 787 around the corner haha
                                    Anton Vind

Comment

Dear PMDG,

Let's not getting complacent with the used FSX and P3D, Microsoft Flight Simulator is back!
                                      Let's work FORWARD with Microsoft Flight Simulator, this should be PRIORITY now, not P3D..

Microsoft Flight Simulator didn't just come out out of nowhere unannounced on Aug 18th 2020...right?

We're not gonna wait one year (??) to be able to fly ALL PMDG product line on THE LEGACY Flight Simulator?

All those talks mean commercial pressures from P3D, to give excuses, some well established products needed wait 1 year for simple platform shift. P3D is built from FSX...no FSX no P3D.

P3Dv5 is just an excuse for P3D to stay afloat (barely) after MSFS2020 is out, we (all?) know that. If MSFS2020 is left unattended by addons developpers for one year, there's conspiracy behind it...

Why Orbx has already released airports etc for MSFS2020 along with, other addons providers updated their software and released a new MSFS2020 version, like VATSIM etc, it's simple: they focused on the right thing right from the start of MSFS2020 "drawing boards" behind the scene.
                                      But PMDG needs a year to shift its entire product line to an already known updated platform?

I don't believe it..

In 2020, FSX and P3D are done with, MSFS2020 is THEE Sim, if someone tries to argue convince me otherwise I won't listen..

We (all?) know that if PMDG wanted, the entire PMDG product line would already been ready to shift to MSFS2020 within a REASONNABLE time frame if not "instantly" (instantly meaning a few days ok), NOT 1 year+.

As you said, let's get down to business, the right one now..

Xav

Comment

• Swaluver88
                                        Swaluver88 commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        lol MSFS isnt ready for PMDG quality and frankly it may not be for a while. sit back, relax and enjoy the ride that ASOBO gives us

• RoDuSu
                                        RoDuSu commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        This is a completely ignorant response to what aircraft developers are encountering with MSFS. Do some research, next time.

• bonfly
                                        bonfly commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        That’s the most nonsense I’ve ever seen in a post on these forums.

Originally posted by airifr View Post
                                      Dear PMDG,

Let's not getting complacent with the used FSX and P3D, Microsoft Flight Simulator is back!
                                      Let's work FORWARD with Microsoft Flight Simulator, this should be PRIORITY now, not P3D..

Microsoft Flight Simulator didn't just come out out of nowhere unannounced on Aug 18th 2020...right?

We're not gonna wait one year (??) to be able to fly ALL PMDG product line on THE LEGACY Flight Simulator?

All those talks mean commercial pressures from P3D, to give excuses, some well established products needed wait 1 year for simple platform shift. P3D is built from FSX...no FSX no P3D.

P3Dv5 is just an excuse for P3D to stay afloat (barely) after MSFS2020 is out, we (all?) know that. If MSFS2020 is left unattended by addons developpers for one year, there's conspiracy behind it...

Why Orbx has already released airports etc for MSFS2020 along with, other addons providers updated their software and released a new MSFS2020 version, like VATSIM etc, it's simple: they focused on the right thing right from the start of MSFS2020 "drawing boards" behind the scene.
                                      But PMDG needs a year to shift its entire product line to an already known updated platform?

I don't believe it..

In 2020, FSX and P3D are done with, MSFS2020 is THEE Sim, if someone tries to argue convince me otherwise I won't listen..

We (all?) know that if PMDG wanted, the entire PMDG product line would already been ready to shift to MSFS2020 within a REASONNABLE time frame if not "instantly" (instantly meaning a few days ok), NOT 1 year+.

As you said, let's get down to business, the right one now..

Xav
                                      Quite clearly haven't read what Robert has said - the SDK for aircraft is not ready for aircraft of PMDG complexity etc. Scenery is one thing, aircraft is a completely different ball game altogether!

Trevor Hannant

Comment

Additionally, there'll probably still be a Prepar3D customer base, it's not like single one will move over to MFS2020 (not immediately at least - sure, it'll probably happen in time).
                                        Anton Vind

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorHannant View Post

Quite clearly haven't read what Robert has said - the SDK for aircraft is not ready for aircraft of PMDG complexity etc. Scenery is one thing, aircraft is a completely different ball game altogether!
                                          Quite clearly haven't read what I said either...or understood?

AAAnyway, I'm out..

Xav

Comment

AAAnyway, I'm out..

Xav
                                            You have said nothing. No point of discussion just unloading a chunk of wild accusations and conspiracy theories. And then playing the little child is just, well ‚telling‘.

All respectable developers for serious addon aircraft (up and beyond PMDG even) clearly state that the SDK is not ready. There is not enough to work with. Period.
                                            Last edited by Mad_X; 05Oct2020, 23:15.
                                            [email protected] Pletsch

Postnigs with typnig errors since 1984

Comment

AAAnyway, I'm out..

Xav
                                              Or perhaps your comment was the dumbest most uneducated take on FS2020 code base?

MSFS 2020, as opposed to FSX/P3D/etc, does not let you run native C++ executable and DLLs. There’s absolutely no ways around it. It uses a sandboxed webAssembly with extremely limited API calls.
                                              Even its Simconnect API is severely limited compared to what’s in P3D.
                                              What is available to devs right now is a Blender module which allow you to do basic scenery and 3D virtual cockpit/plane models, which is why you have seen some 3rd party sceneries of mediocre quality and very limited new planes that more of less uses the default flight models and avionics stack. It’s literally out of the PMDG teams hands at this moment, it’s like asking a house builder to build a townhouse but the only tools he can use is a hammer, a flat head screw driver, a bubble level, a shovel and a bunch of 2x4s.

Now, there’s a lot of cooperation between pro devs team such as Aerosoft and PMDG and Asboro and MS. Apparently Aerosoft has a very active role in helping Asoboro build the SDK. Perhaps, although unlikely MS will authorize some 3PD to become “trusted developers” and allow them a deeper access to the sim, otherwise it’s gonna be a long wait until the SDK and the sim platform itself is robust enough to support a complex add on like the NG3. Wasn’t the original NGX FMC something along 100 000 lines of code ? Imagine having to do a recode in a different language. Also wasm, even optimized, will never run as fast as native c++ so there’s that...

Eric Blais

Comment

• DDowns
                                                DDowns commented
                                                Editing a comment
                                                Thanks Eric, you triggered my curiosity so I browsed webAssembly.org and cannot believe they have returned to a form of assembly language. This is very primitive other then it has constructs not found in the old MASM (I learned assembly on my first machine in the early 80s). They did this because it uses the java script interface common in browsers? Goodness. I don't think PMDG will have a SDK by 2021Q4!

• squerble
                                                squerble commented
                                                Editing a comment
                                                DaedalusX - great post explaining the delay. And yes DDowns I agree even expecting the platform to be opened up enough for the likes of PMDG is very unlikely by the end of 2021. Nice to see some realistic posts on here - those suggesting everyone will move to MSFS is definitely blinkered, as they're assuming P3D development will standstill. It won't. P3D could well remain the de facto platform for complex airliners for years to come, if not even a decade if MS keep MSFS nerfed for 3PD.

• Swaluver88
                                                Swaluver88 commented
                                                Editing a comment
                                                dan youre absolutely right. as i recall over on the MSFS forums that i was uneducated and old fashion, yet.....

AAAnyway, I'm out..

Xav
                                              Oh I did read and understood thanks hence my reply...
                                              Trevor Hannant

Comment

Well what RSR said was that it was a product that we haven’t seen yet, which is applicable for the MAX. But yeah I agree on the MCAS issue... wondering what it is then. Of course I hope it’s the 787, but I just can’t believe that we potentially have a 787 around the corner haha
                                                As far as I understood checking announcements from this forum the developing of MAX began in 2017-2018 (since it was hinted on Avsim forum). Then Indonesian and Ethiopian flights crashed and developing stoped.
                                                Now we'll have MAX only after the plane gets certification and starts flying in real world.
                                                But when? It is a big question.
                                                Last edited by Alexiyi; 06Oct2020, 07:47.
                                                Alexey Ermolaev

Comment

• Swaluver88
                                                  Swaluver88 commented
                                                  Editing a comment
                                                  upcoming months. definitely they're trying to get it out, however dont expect Boeing to make this a big deal but slide it under quietly. they may not ever say its been recertified but just release an AD (that can be found on the FAA website) and thats it. so keep a look out. Im sure news organizations will figure it out as the days go by and FR24 gets more and more in the air.

Originally posted by TrevorHannant View Post

Oh I did read and understood thanks hence my reply...
                                                😉 Dont feed the trolls 😉 MSFS in this state for me is for VR Flights around the world because of the well designed grafics.
                                                I even could recognize my parents house 😊 For serious flight i'll stay at P3D and PMDG, FSLabs, Majestic, A2A,Maddog,..
                                                Hope the 777 will be released soon...
                                                Keep flying
                                                Robert Stephan

Comment

• Mickel
                                                  Mickel commented
                                                  Editing a comment
                                                  Heeey! VR flights are serious. The consequences if it goes bad are the same. None of this traffic separation by ATC lark... 'Proper' VFR flights are hard work: all this flying, navigating and communicating stuff on your own.

(just pullin' ya leg... I know what you mean)

• elgreco111
                                                  elgreco111 commented
                                                  Editing a comment
                                                  Sorry bad wording english is not my native language. I mean if you want to fly commercial airliners like Boeing or Airbus as real as it is you stay at P3D

Dear PMDG,

Originally posted by RR

Unfortunately what we didn’t count on was just how big that work-load would be on the platform side or how slow the update rate would be. The bottom line is that while we still remain convinced that MSFS will be the long-term best-platform for simming over the next decade, there are still some major technical challenges that remain to be solved before it can adequately support a product as complex as NG3
                                                they are stuck. there's nothing more they can do with MSFS. they cant prioritize it because it's not usable yet.

Mike Teague - p3dv5 - B736 B737 B738 B739 B744 B748

Comment

alright once again like ive said it in the past no matter how much PMDG helps, its in ASOBOs hands. If Asobo doesn't want lets say this community (far as PMDG is concerned) they will take their time. The more and more i see released from ASOBO is that they told the sim community what they wanted to hear VS what it was ment to be, The largest open world map in a VIDEO GAME. Now dont start with that a sim is a video game because if you think that then MSFS is right where you want to be. Anyways ASOBO is starting a new project with MS so im curious to see how active they will be going forward with MSFS throughout the year(s).
                                                  Last edited by Swaluver88; 06Oct2020, 15:11.
                                                  Alex Kulak
                                                  PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

Working...
                                                  X