Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

[26SEP20] Let's Get Down to Business, Shall We?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[26SEP20] Let's Get Down to Business, Shall We?

Captains,

Hello and happy weekend to you. Generally speaking I try to give you a weekly update at some point during the weekend to keep you generally involved in what is going on around the PMDG universe. There have been a number of external factors impacting my ability to keep up with outbound news and information since mid-summer so you (hopefully?) noticed I wasn't around.

I do have plenty to fill you in with- but rather than dump all of it on you at one time, I have a few pieces to share today with more to follow!

PMDG 737 NGXu BBJ Expansion Package:
    Someone asked a few years back if PMDG would ever consider making a “bizJet.” I have replied, rather emphatically, that this was best left to others since our particular expertise is in airliners. (Stick to what you are good at!)

Proving the old adage that “there is always an exception to every rule” we unveiled our upcoming BBJ/BBJ2 expansion package a few months ago- and have been testing and tweaking this product since then. While on the outside, a BBJ might look very similar to it’s working-style-airliner cousin, there are a number of very significant differences between the BBJ airplane and the “regular ol’ Boeing.” These differences appear in many of the operational systems designed to support the needs of corporate aviation, from embedded air-stairs to extended range fuel tanks and more.

PMDG_BBJ_exterior10.jpg

We were days away from releasing the BBJ package when we discovered we had missed a major modification to the fuel system on the airplane, so we held the product back in order to complete the change and bring you the proper fuel quantity indicating system. It took a few weeks to hack through the documentation and adjust the design and operation of the system to ensure it is correct, but in the next couple of days we will hand one last beta build to our testing team and then roll the BBJ out to you.

We have never been known for our giving much love or attention to the cabins in our FSX/P3D line of products, but Jason had some fun creating a full luxury package for you behind the cockpit door- so don’t forget to go check out the details of this exemplary CEO transportation machine.

PMDG_BBJ_exterior12.jpg

PMDG 777 Update:
    Work continues in earnest on our impending update for the 777 product line. We anticipate handing a first test-build of this significant product update off to our testing team sometime in the first half of October. This update is a pretty comprehensive update cycle for the 777 Base Package and brings in many of the newer capabilities, performance improvements and features that have debuted in the 747 and 737 product lines subsequent to the 777’s release seven years ago this month. The update is no cost for 777 users and will bring the 777 up-to-par with her sister products in terms of Global Flight Operations capabilities, ground services, animations and the like. There is enough in this update that it warrants it’s own update- so watch for that coming to you a bit later. (Someone will invariably ask: No, this update does not add an EFB to the 777, nor will it turn it into an MD-11, for that matter. )

PMDG 737NG3 for Microsoft Flight Simulator
    With this update I am changing outward our guidance on availability of the PMDG 737NG3 for Microsoft Flight Simulator. It is pretty rare that I talk much about success or failure on the development side of things, simply because product development is a highly complex beast and it doesn’t describe neatly in the context of this forum unless all of us happen to be involved in development.

You will recall that I have been fairly upbeat on our expectation that we might see rapid acceleration of our NG3 development process during 4Q20, and I have even gambled that we *might* see a release for this product in very late 2020. Much of this hypothesis was based upon a working theory that with the release of MSFS, we would see a sharp up-tick in the implementation of features that are needed in the MSFS platform in order to fully support an airliner simulation of PMDG’s caliber once the initial MSFS platform had been released and the MS/Asobo team was able to shift attention away from their very complex, very difficult v1.0 schedule.

We are now a few months beyond the initial release of MSFS, and yes, we are seeing a sharp up-tick in the rate at which the features we need are being implemented to MSFS and we are working hand-in-glove with our friends at Asobo to identify problems, knee-knockers, dead-stop items and the like as we move the 737 into MSFS. (Working in concert with Asobo has been a new experience for us, as we are normally very much just our own isolated team- but it has been invigorating to work with a team of devs so fully dedicated to the success of their platform. One day I will tell you what this is like and how it is changing the way we work.)

Unfortunately what we didn’t count on was just how big that work-load would be on the platform side or how slow the update rate would be. The bottom line is that while we still remain convinced that MSFS will be the long-term best-platform for simming over the next decade, there are still some major technical challenges that remain to be solved before it can adequately support a product as complex as NG3. I am going to whistle-on-by the specifics here because they aren’t important to anyone except the developers involved in the work, but what I can tell you is that we are currently looking at a release timeline for PMDG 737NG3 for MSFS that is out in 3Q21 with some downside risk that it will slide into 4Q21, more than a year from now.

There are essentially two major areas that are slowing the development process, and there is some upside risk that a major breakthrough in these key trouble-making areas might allow us to slide the release timeline forward into 2Q21, but I think the risk of this forward movement is very, very small.

An Finally…
    Since we had planned to be very deep into 737, 747, 777, J-41 and DC-6 conversion to MSFS by now- but it is clear that we won’t need to dedicate those resources to MSFS for a while longer, we have torn open the agenda and begun to look at “what happens next?”

Our un-used development assets are focused strongly on our P3D product lines and we are hard at work getting our new LNAV/Navdata handling models into testing on the 747 (October… after two years of work…) and we are looking at how to get an EFB into the 777. We have a product coming for our P3D product line that you haven’t seen yet that is nearing testing and we have also begun work on a new airplane type… the <manufacturer deleted> <model number deleted> that you have always asked us to create… I’m sure you will be looking forward to that. We also set a “go live” date on the calendar for PMDG Global Flight Operations this past week… I need to get together with Chris to map out a full spectrum update for you on THAT topic… it will be it’s own announcement.

So… The summary: lack of attention from me hasn’t meant nothing going on. I’ve been distracted of late- but the team as a whole continues to make big progress in key areas.

I hope you are enjoying your weekend- we have a slight break in the seasonal rain here so I am going to take Ms. Solo for a walk before it starts up again...

Robert S. Randazzo
    PMDG Simulations
    http://www.pmdg.com

Someone will invariably ask: No, this update does not add an EFB to the 777, nor will it turn it into an MD-11, for that matter.

This made me.chuckle. also nice preview on the 777 -200 ER tail in that photo.

sad news on MSFS but hey it is 2020 so that was expected.. so there is two secret projects (presuming one is the 737MAX since the good.news yesterday) hmmm fun days ahead!

Also my question is how did you get two pmdg planes in the sim at once lol
    Last edited by Swaluver88; 26Sep2020, 21:00.
    Alex Kulak
    PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

• robroberson
      robroberson commented
      Editing a comment
      For what its worth, I will be flying P3D for quite some time. Yes, I have FS2020. Enough said. Bring on the other PMDG aircraft for P3D. I for one am not going to miss the absence of PMDG in FS2020.

• Swaluver88
      Swaluver88 commented
      Editing a comment
      I havent started MSFS in atleast 2 weeks now

Very interesting indeed Robert!

Thanks for the update, will be looking forward to all that's happening

Cheers!
    Regards, Orjan Polman.
    ENGM

Comment

As long as things keep coming for P3D, then I’m happy. Just need that 777 for P3Dv5, then I can remove P3Dv4. MSFS2020 will be in paid ‘public beta’ for quite some time. Most of my flying is split between P3D and XP11 👍🏼

Looking forward to some long haul in the BBJ 🛩
      Thanks, Matt -|- Win 10 Pro, [email protected], Corsair H115i, Asus Strix X299, 32Gb Corsair Vengence, MSI RTX 2080ti, Samsung C49RG90, CH Pedals, Honeycomb Yoke, T16000M Joystick, throttles, VRinsight MCP Combo, XP11, P3Dv5 Pro, MSFS2020 and way too many add-ons to mention! Owned almost every PMDG product since the days of Fly!

Comment

Originally posted by rsrandazzo View Post
        We have a product coming for our P3D product line that you haven’t seen yet that is nearing testing and we have also begun work on a new airplane type… the <manufacturer deleted> <model number deleted> that you have always asked us to create…
        One of them MUST be the 787 Guess it's the last one. Sort of hinted in the last picture. Other one could be the 737 MAX.. Can't wait for the 772!
        Last edited by Anton Vind; 26Sep2020, 20:54.
        Anton Vind
        CPU: i9-9900K, GPU: RTX 2080 SUPER, RAM: 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz, Drives: 2 TB SSD

Comment

Very interesting, now is this a big tease or just scenery? :P
          unknown.png

Very nice update, looking forward to the future!
          Liam Giles

Comment

• emmanuelhaemers
            emmanuelhaemers commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Liam,

In my opinion, this is a manifestation of "The eye chooses what it wants to see" as I believe this is part of the standard Drzewiecki Design Seattle airports (see https://www.drzewiecki-design.net/im...11_AD_X_11.jpg).
            Who knows this was chosen specifically (to potentially mislead us?) will become more clear in the near future I guess.

Thumbs up for the PMDG team for showing their leadership developing along with Asobo studios, as this enforces a positive development cycle making sure future products will continue to excel.

Happy Flying!
            Manu

Hello Captain, good to see some vital signs from you
          Now I am confident again to see the 777 and the GFO in 4Q20
          And yes, looking forward to flying a PMDG 787
          Last edited by VoyagerP3D; 26Sep2020, 21:09.
          Christian Mbeumo

Comment

RSR, PMDG et al--- We love all of our PMDG aircrafts, but some of us old timers( guys that have supported PMDG since the original NG) are itching for a NEW plane to learn and enjoy. Seems the development cycle continually making you current products better and better is great, but perhaps a new airplane would bring a ton of new excitment to many of us here...

Thank you however, for all the great products, and support of them.

Peter Osborn

EDIT: NVM i see that in the original post. I got carried away by the BBJ pics 😎
            Last edited by capnoz; 26Sep2020, 21:04.

Comment

Originally posted by capnoz View Post
              RSR, PMDG et al--- We love all of our PMDG aircrafts, but some of us old timers( guys that have supported PMDG since the original NG) are itching for a NEW plane to learn and enjoy. Seems the development cycle continually making you current products better and better is great, but perhaps a new airplane would bring a ton of new excitment to many of us here...

Thank you however, for all the great products, and support of them.

Peter Osborn
              He just mentioned that two unannounced airplane projects are in the works...
              Anton Vind

Comment

• capnoz
                capnoz commented
                Editing a comment
                Anton.... Yes, I see that now. GREAT news indeed!

Originally posted by Liam View Post
              Very interesting, now is this a big tease or just scenery? :P
              unknown.png

Very nice update, looking forward to the future!
              Lol. No PMDG would look ALOT better than that..

Peter Osborn

Comment

Excellent news! You have me very curious as to what is coming to P3DV5.

Greg
                Greg Morin
                Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Comment

Originally posted by capnoz View Post

Lol. No PMDG would look ALOT better than that..

Peter Osborn
                  It's part of the scenery.. Still can't be coincidental that they included the 787 in that picture. They're probably very aware of that actually, haha. The picture kinda shows the sequence: BBJ -> 772 -> 787. It also seems to be at the Boeing Factory, which hints that it's WIP.
                  Anton Vind

Comment

Good stuff! Also, will you fix/rework the PBR for v5 since all the metal parts are showing up wrong? v5 does require a PBR rework. On another note, will we see more options (like the new type clock, press panel etc.) come to the NGXu with the BBJ package or will this be another recycled asset?
                    Bogdan Misko

Comment

Bring on the -200ER!
                      Gino Zagarrio
                      KBUF

Comment

Mega excited for the 777 update and more news on GFO!

By the way, I may have missed something, but is there any idea on when the EFB will eventually come?
                        Craig Norman

Comment

Can’t wait for the BBJ and the 200er and any future projects coming,

A PMDG 787 would be amazing to be honest.
                          with a full pbr cockpit etc would be my long haul plane with the 200er mixed in.

I didn’t notice the 787 til I looked at the picture again.
                          I have a feeling if PMDG didn’t want the idea of a 787 they would take the picture somewhere else or crop out the 787
                          Mark Roberts

Comment

I am not too surprised at the delay for the NG3, seeing the amount of time AS takes to fix ingame issues and the number of issues still to be fixed, let alone the SDK. At this point, it's all about patience. In the mean time, bring on the BBJ.

fingers crossed for 727
                            Last edited by Ops Normal; 26Sep2020, 22:33.
                            Onela Pivra [ATPL (A/H) ME CFII]
                            [email protected] GHz, Nvidia RTX 2080S, 16GB DDR4 3200, 4K samsung UJ59

Comment

Robert, I don't see any mention of the DC-6 for P3Dv5?

Pleeeeeaaaasssseee! I need her back! Plus she could do with some good old attention in the maintenance hangar!

(Also, did I see JS41? P3D also??)
                              Mr. James Alexander.

Comment

Great news! Anxious to the 777-200ER (and future 300ER freighter). I hope PMDG make the BBJ 3 (-900ER) and the BBJ C (700C "quick change").
                                Anxious by the 737 Max too!
                                Gustavo Aguiar

Comment

Originally posted by rsrandazzo View Post
                                  [SIZE=14px]Captains,

Proving the old adage that “there is always an exception to every rule”
                                  So you're saying there's a chance for a you know what-11 😉
                                  Bryan Richards

Comment

Nice!

Look forward to the BBJ!

And not to forget the -200ER, hope for RR and PW engines as well!

Excited to see what the new project is, my bet it is the 767 (since we already have an okay B787)
                                    Kim R Fjeldstad

Comment

You know how much I've wanted a <manufacturer deleted> <model number deleted> . So this is truly excellent news!
                                      Alan Ampolsk
                                      __________________________________________

"Ah, Paula, they are firing at me!" -- Saint-Exupery

Comment

Awesome, like I always have said, where PMDG goes that where I will fly. Thanks to PMDG you guys are the best.

David
                                        David J Guillen

Comment

Amazing news on the 777.
                                          Looking forward to the <manufacturer deleted> <model number deleted>😉.
                                          I note the that there's not only the 787-9 as noted in previous pics, but the other 2 white liveries behind the 772 are "Dreamliners". The conspiracy theorist in me has to wonder...
                                          Chen Chen
                                          NZAA
                                          P3D V4.5

Comment

Once again, the PMDG forum is a breath of fresh air.
                                            Thank you for the update and your continued commitment to the flight SIMULATOR community.
                                            Love you all!
                                            Many Thanks,
                                            Chris Stanley VTUJ / VTUO

Comment

Originally posted by silentghostx View Post
                                              Amazing news on the 777.
                                              Looking forward to the <manufacturer deleted> <model number deleted>😉.
                                              I note the that there's not only the 787-9 as noted in previous pics, but the other 2 white liveries behind the 772 are "Dreamliners". The conspiracy theorist in me has to wonder...
                                              Could imply that they are doing both the -8, -9 and -10
                                              Anton Vind

Comment

Rob give us the B767 and thank you for the update

Steven Silva

Comment

Originally posted by severniae View Post
                                                  Robert, I don't see any mention of the DC-6 for P3Dv5?

Pleeeeeaaaasssseee! I need her back! Plus she could do with some good old attention in the maintenance hangar!
                                                  Yes, I hope a PBR update for the wonderful DC-6 is still on the agenda 😀

Greetings
                                                  Tim Scharnhop

My files in the Avsim File Library

Comment

Mmm. Time to speculate.

737-300?
                                                    757?
                                                    767?

I'd buy any/all of them.

Comment

Alright, who's taking odds?

Will it be a B767? Will it be a B787? With it be a B757?

Might as well have some fun!

Rich Boll
                                                      Wichita KS
                                                      Rich Boll
                                                      Wichita, KS

Comment

• Ephedrin
                                                        Ephedrin commented
                                                        Editing a comment
                                                        My guess is 767 or 787, one of those.
                                                    Working...
                                                    X