Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

P3D shot in the arm while I wait for NG3 etc.. - any opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P3D shot in the arm while I wait for NG3 etc.. - any opinions?

Hello all,

Like the rest of you I wait anxiously (but not impatiently!) for MSFS to get it's fixes/updates but more importantly for NG3 and other updated addons from PMDG.

I'm interested in getting any opinions about updating P3Dv4 to P3Dv5 in the mean time. Is it worth the expense? I know P3Dv5 has it's own headaches but I hear some/most have been fixed. Is there any performance improvement or benefit?

My gut says stay the course with v4 but I look forward to hearing what you guys/gals say.

Thanks!
    Dan
    Dan Pergau
    Barrie, Ontario
    i7-10700K, 32gb-3200mhz - GTX1080 - Dell U3415W

I'd stay with V4 for now. There appear to be some issues with V5 that, for me personally, make me unlikely to use it. I've had V5 crash on me with trying to do something on the GSX window, although to be fair, that was when I was trying something and opened it up so many times in quick succession. That said, this wasn't an issue in V4. Rain in the flight deck is also another one, and although there are work-arounds to that one, I don't see the point in running V5 if it means I have to disable the things that make the simulator look good.
    Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

That was quick, thanks Kevin!

Dan
      Dan Pergau
      Barrie, Ontario

Comment

I won't do it until P3d5 has been fixed and doesn't have all these issues anymore. There is still rain in the cockpit, I won't deal with that. And we all know that with 5.1 LM will fix things and introduce new issues. My v4.5 works fairly nice and since I have MSFS now for VFR and there are some really nice VFR aircraft available I have been able and willing to throw some ORBX ful fat regions off my PC such as FTX Germany or North and South California.. They were real performance killers and caused most of my long loading stutters. So to me there is no real benefit in getting P3Dv5 for visuals (MSFS is much better in this regard) and a stable sim is more important to me than the visuals that P3D5 offers AT THE MOMENT: This might change, depending on how long it takes for MS and LM to fix/update their sims. But right now I see no point.
        i7-6700k, GTX 1080TI, 32GB DDR4 RAM @2666MHz, 4k
        Marc Ehnle

Comment

Thanks Marc!
          Dan Pergau
          Barrie, Ontario

Comment

Originally posted by Ephedrin View Post
            I won't do it until P3d5 has been fixed and doesn't have all these issues anymore. There is still rain in the cockpit, I won't deal with that. And we all know that with 5.1 LM will fix things and introduce new issues. My v4.5 works fairly nice and since I have MSFS now for VFR and there are some really nice VFR aircraft available I have been able and willing to throw some ORBX ful fat regions off my PC such as FTX Germany or North and South California.. They were real performance killers and caused most of my long loading stutters. So to me there is no real benefit in getting P3Dv5 for visuals (MSFS is much better in this regard) and a stable sim is more important to me than the visuals that P3D5 offers AT THE MOMENT: This might change, depending on how long it takes for MS and LM to fix/update their sims. But right now I see no point.
            V5 HF2 has fixed almost everything the only thing that really isn't fixed is TRUESKY but thats also in beta til.V5.1 releases. P3D V5 HF2 I haven't had any problems what so ever. So im.curious as to where you here there is still problems with V5 HF2?
            Alex Kulak
            PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

Originally posted by Swaluver88 View Post

V5 HF2 has fixed almost everything the only thing that really isn't fixed is TRUESKY but thats also in beta til.V5.1 releases. P3D V5 HF2 I haven't had any problems what so ever. So im.curious as to where you here there is still problems with V5 HF2?
              only the forums on avsim, here and FSLabs.. And sometimes my VA's discord channel.

My "personal" problem with P3D is that they absolutely everytime bring in new problems with new features that will be fixed with the next update, which again........ for example in 4.1 the nosewheel steering was suddenly broken and PMDG had to figure it out and told A2A what they found.. and the list goes on. So if 5.0HF2 works right now I have a feeling that 5.1 will brake it again. Then I'll have to wait for x addons again to be "fixed". I'm not eager to go through all that again. Admittedly, I'd love to check the performance improvements on my system. But this would also mean a new clean installation. I know that addons can be shared but I donÄt like the idea to cause new issues by doing that and in the end I'm just frustrated.
              Marc Ehnle

Comment

I'm pretty much in Alex's camp. V5 runs very smoothly for me on a middle-strength system. Haven't had a crash in a long time (knock on wood). TrueSky is a problem, but Active Sky works fine and may be better than TS in the long run. Add-ons are not as numerous as v4.5, but they are coming along. I think many developers rushed to MSFS only to find problems with the SDK. It will be many months before PMDG and other developers of complex aircraft get to the new sim. I have MSFS and have found it wonderful for VFR. In time, it may become equivalent or even better than the LM products, but not now.
                Bob Zolto

Comment

• Ephedrin
                  Ephedrin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think that's pretty much it. But if I'm honest during the purchase I have to pay another 200$. And that's certainly not justified atm.

I never use P3Dv4 anymore... I still have it to beta test PMDG installers but all my hours have been logged in v5. I like to point out that v5 has a new rendering engine and it is the most significant update since moving from 32b to 64b. P3Dv5.1 is just around the corner.... it's looking like that will be a good time to move forward with it.
                Dan Downs KCRP
                i7-10700K 32GB 3600MHz 2080Ti

Comment

Originally posted by DDowns View Post
                  I never use P3Dv4 anymore... I still have it to beta test PMDG installers but all my hours have been logged in v5. I like to point out that v5 has a new rendering engine and it is the most significant update since moving from 32b to 64b. P3Dv5.1 is just around the corner.... it's looking like that will be a good time to move forward with it.
                  If 5.1 is/remains stable I might switch as well.
                  Marc Ehnle

Comment

• Swaluver88
                    Swaluver88 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    V5 HF2 is stable.....

I'm with Dan here.
                  With my system the v5 was a godsend. I have nice framrates with good looking surroundings.
                  The new rendering engine and DX12 is way less taxing on machines than previously.

As always YMMV,
                  Mats Johansson, PMDG Flight Test, ESSA | P3D v5.1/MSFS |
                  Current PC setup

Comment

Version 5 well worth it to me. Smoother performance, and IMO better looking graphics and lighting. No more crashes since last hot fix and windows 2004 update.
                    Victor Green

Comment

Just to add a personal opinion to that, I think that if you have the money to purchase a new sim and future MSFS add-ons, then a purchase after v5.1 release (if stable) is worth it. Personally I won't switch to v5 as I won't be into hardcore flying for a month or so, and I also want to save some money for the future add-ons that'll come in MSFS, but if you're that kind of person that flies almost every day, and you have financial availability, then you'll definitely enjoy v5.1 (if and only if LM will make a decent job).
                      Giovanni D. Tarar
                      FAA CPL+IR Single & Multiengine Land
                      I love flying when I'm in a bad mood

Comment

Thank you everyone for your advice! Now to word it eloquently for the master of coin aka my wife

All the best,
                        Dan
                        Dan Pergau
                        Barrie, Ontario

Comment

• mats0916
                          mats0916 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Oh, good luck! 😁

Originally posted by Dan Pergau View Post
                        Thank you everyone for your advice! Now to word it eloquently for the master of coin aka my wife

All the best,
                        Dan
                        Dan, You could always try the strategy I use with my wife. Just start talking about the simulator. Really go to town about it, make sure to talk about all the add ons, quirks, highs, lows, etc. She finally gets fed up with me talking about it and will tell me to just buy it and go fly so I stop talking to her about it.... works every time!
                        Michael Sill

Comment

I was hesitant about updating to V5, however did it a month ago. Performance increase is amazing. Haven’t had crashes, and I even installed REX Skyforce into V5. The only complaint from me is the water textures, and everything seems way to bright/ washed out. No tomato shade, but Reshade works perfectly.
                          David Zill

Comment

Last monday I removed V4.5 from my system. I'm all the way with v5 now. HF2 fixed the Radeon problem and fessed up to never testing v5 on a high end Radeon card. Right now v5 runs better and looks great on my system. The only add on NOT updated yet is the islandsim/pacsim airports. I don't have as many add ons as Dan.

Loving MSFS for VFR. The stock aircraft are equal to or better than Carenado payware. The A320, 787 and, 747 are **** but the sim cost $119.00 and a base payware one of those is $139.00
                            Charles Harris KRTS The Valley of Speed
                            ASUS ROG Strix B450-F, Ryzen 3700X, 1TB 970 Neo M2,1TB SSD, RX 5700XT 8GB, 32GB DDR4 3200

Comment

Originally posted by Snowfalcon View Post
                              Last monday I removed V4.5 from my system. I'm all the way with v5 now. HF2 fixed the Radeon problem and fessed up to never testing v5 on a high end Radeon card. Right now v5 runs better and looks great on my system. The only add on NOT updated yet is the islandsim/pacsim airports. I don't have as many add ons as Dan.

Loving MSFS for VFR. The stock aircraft are equal to or better than Carenado payware. The A320, 787 and, 747 are **** but the sim cost $119.00 and a base payware one of those is $139.00
                              I also removed V4.5 and am sticking with V5 - no issues with V5. Even with a high end system, FS2020 has long pauses. I need to down-configure the settings I guess. I still can't get mt Throttletek to recognize the flap axis and my joystick to work with the assigned steering set. Has anyine tried the Beta FSUIPC for 3030?
                              Paul Gugliotta

Comment

• Swaluver88
                                Swaluver88 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Yes. Simmconnect is broken so your frames shoot down to 1fps. They need to release a patch badly

Originally posted by DrJ1 View Post

Dan, You could always try the strategy I use with my wife. Just start talking about the simulator. Really go to town about it, make sure to talk about all the add ons, quirks, highs, lows, etc. She finally gets fed up with me talking about it and will tell me to just buy it and go fly so I stop talking to her about it.... works every time!
                              Hahaha, that's genius! I think that's already happening for other things.
                              Dan Pergau
                              Barrie, Ontario

Comment

is active sky working with v5 yet? last i heard it was screwy with the pmdg radar etc.

Mike Teague - p3dv5 - B736 B737 B738 B739 B744 B748

Comment

• Swaluver88
                                  Swaluver88 commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Yes it is and has been for a couple of months

Originally posted by kvuo75 View Post
                                is active sky working with v5 yet? last i heard it was screwy with the pmdg radar etc.
                                It is working for me and I don't think I had any issues with it. I know that some had issues with active sky "waiting for sim" but was resolved a few versions ago
                                Michael Sill

Comment

I rolled back. Stay with v4.5. v5 is okay but it’s going to be a long time before everyone catches up with it.
                                  Jeannette Benoit

Comment

Originally posted by DrJ1 View Post

It is working for me and I don't think I had any issues with it. I know that some had issues with active sky "waiting for sim" but was resolved a few versions ago
                                    ahh i see the new one is still in beta. i will wait a bit then i guess

Mike Teague - p3dv5 - B736 B737 B738 B739 B744 B748

Comment

Originally posted by kvuo75 View Post
                                      I think that's what's holding me back so much. I have heard a lot about broken addons, functions, many betas.. but no news that things were working now. So my latest knowledge is "doesn't work". I think Alex made up my mind a bit ^^
                                      Marc Ehnle

Comment

Working...
                                      X