Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

MSFS 2020 on Steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSFS 2020 on Steam

Preorder MSFS on Steam.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...ght_Simulator/
    Danny Z.Cebis

Does anyone have any idea which store would be best to use? Keep in mind that they both cost the same and i don't have nor do i plan to get an XBox. Seems like MS Store likes to lock their game files, which would restrict access to ini edits and the like. But there are ways around that, and it looks like only the game launcher might be locked, with the main game files being unrestricted. As for getting it on Steam, i don't know if life will be easier using a Microsoft product bought from a Microsoft store. As in, i'm not sure if the Steam version won't give me headaches down the line.

Anyone know anything more concrete on this?
    Cristi Neagu

Comment

I can only say that I wasn't all that impressed with my experience running FSX from Steam. If I buy this sim it will be through the Microsoft store.

As for manually editing files, I think we're a little ahead of ourselves. It's a practice a lot of people picked up because there were so many gaps in how things ran with the older sims based on old MS code. It may well not be needed at all with the new platform, or it may not even be possible (or recommended).
      Dan Morand
      i7-7700k OC 4.8, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Morand View Post
        As for manually editing files, I think we're a little ahead of ourselves. It's a practice a lot of people picked up because there were so many gaps in how things ran with the older sims based on old MS code. It may well not be needed at all with the new platform, or it may not even be possible (or recommended).
        Sure, but it might be needed. If you have unlocked files and there's never a need to mess with them, no problems. But if they're locked and you do need to mess with them... big problem.
        Cristi Neagu

Comment

Be interesting to know how updates and addons will work on Steam. Will they be available the same time as on MS store? or will there be a delay?
          Also, will third party stuff only be available via Steam or will it be possible to install outside of the platform?
          Dave Smith

Comment

Don't think it will really matter where you buy it from as my guess is that you will still need to log into a Microsoft account to activate and use the simulation. So buying from steam doesn't necessarily bypass any restrictions Microsoft might have in place
            Michael Sill

Comment

Originally posted by DrJ1 View Post
              Don't think it will really matter where you buy it from as my guess is that you will still need to log into a Microsoft account to activate and use the simulation. So buying from steam doesn't necessarily bypass any restrictions Microsoft might have in place
              MS Store restrictions are Windows level restrictions. They are imposed by the MS Store installer on the installation directory, by removing access rights to anything other than Trusted Installer, even Administrator accounts. Steam doesn't do that, and it is typical for MS Store.
              But it seems that only the launcher will be locked in such a manner. The game files, as far as people can speculate at this time, will most likely not be locked, as they are downloaded by the launcher, not by MS Store.
              Cristi Neagu

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Morand View Post
                I can only say that I wasn't all that impressed with my experience running FSX from Steam. If I buy this sim it will be through the Microsoft store.

I never had any problems running either FSX or XP10 on Steam. FSX-SE didn't really need tweaking but access to the cfg files was just as easy as FSX and the folder structure just as accessible. The easy of verifying, updating or repairing the installation using Steam was a bonus.

How it will work with MSFS remains to be seen but i doubt it will be an issue. Using third party addons, such as PMDG aircraft, was never a problem with FSX-SE so i wouldn't expect it to be with MSFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Hall View Post

I never had any problems running either FSX or XP10 on Steam. FSX-SE didn't really need tweaking but access to the cfg files was just as easy as FSX and the folder structure just as accessible. The easy of verifying, updating or repairing the installation using Steam was a bonus.

How it will work with MSFS remains to be seen but i doubt it will be an issue. Using third party addons, such as PMDG aircraft, was never a problem with FSX-SE so i wouldn't expect it to be with MSFS.
                  Depends oh how tight the security is with ASOBO and Microsoft tbh
                  Alex Kulak
                  PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

• Kevin Hall
                    Kevin Hall commented
                    Editing a comment
                    As I said, it remains to be seen. But as they are releasing on Steam then there will need to be enough flexibility to make it work.

If Steam handles MSFS 2020 addons in the same way as it has done for some of the addons for FSX-SE then it might be sensible to carefully check out how this new Microsoft flight simulator and any addons for it will be implemented on Valve's platform before deciding to purchase it there. For example, HiFi's Active Sky for FSX-SE is not compatible for use with FSX; whereas the FSX version purchased from HiFi and elsewhere will also work with Steam's FSX-SE.

Apparently if a gamer already has an XBox Game Pass for their PC they may be able to purchase MSFS 2020 for a nominal introductory price from the Microsoft store. Another possible option, other than a direct download, is to purchase a DVD version. Aerosoft has them listed on their website for purchase, although it seems they will only be available from them if you are a customer living in Europe. Another obvious downside is your PC will need a DVD drive when you want to run the simulator, as well as install all of the 90Gb of data in the Premium Deluxe edItion!

Michael Codd

Comment

That's true, but however you buy MSFS you'll need a new version of Active Sky to work with it, so you'd just buy the appropriate version to match your sim. It was only a problem with FSX because people needed a new copy of Active Sky to switch to FSX-SE.

Comment

• Michael Codd
                      Michael Codd commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes, that may be true for MSFS 2020 if AS is needed at all, but my point is if someone bought the AS product for the much later FSX-SE simulator from Steam it would not work with with FSX. Buy it from HiFi the other way around for FSX and it would work with FSX-SE. How ridiculous is that??!!

• Kevin Hall
                      Kevin Hall commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes that was ridiculous. I wonder whether that was Steam's doing or HiFi encouraging customers to buy direct. Caveat emptor.

FSX and FSX-SE had compatibility issues with add-ons because they were not the same software. Dovetail released minor updates to FSX after it acquired the rights to distribute the game on Steam, which rendered some add-ons incompatible and required developers to update their software to run on FSX-SE. I don't believe a similar problem will exist with MSFS 2020 because there is only one developer distributing its game on different platforms, much like PMDG and other developers do with products delivered either via their own store or via third-party vendors, in either digital or physical media. The only thing I wonder about is whether updates will be released simultaneously through MS Store and Steam.
                    Matheus Mafra

Comment

Originally posted by mbmafra View Post
                      FSX and FSX-SE had compatibility issues with add-ons because they were not the same software. Dovetail released minor updates to FSX after it acquired the rights to distribute the game on Steam, which rendered some add-ons incompatible and required developers to update their software to run on FSX-SE. I don't believe a similar problem will exist with MSFS 2020 because there is only one developer distributing its game on different platforms, much like PMDG and other developers do with products delivered either via their own store or via third-party vendors, in either digital or physical media. The only thing I wonder about is whether updates will be released simultaneously through MS Store and Steam.
                      The main difference was that FSX-SE was recompiled. That meant internal address offsets could change. There were code changes but Dovetail were required by MS to maintain compatibility with FSX Gold. Only devs doing innovative things with FSX had to resolve compatibility issues. That shouldn't happen with MSFS as the same dev team are controlling the platform inside and outside of Steam and the third party developers have been onboard for a long time.
                      Last edited by Kevin Hall; 02Aug2020, 12:11.

Comment

Yes, remember that MSFS2020 is the same software whether you buy it from MS Store or Steam. FSX and FSX:SE were two different softwares. Don't compare these two.
                        Joona Väisänen

Comment

I wonder if pmdg products will be installed through marketplace within the Sim in steam or outside of steam,my only concern when buying the sim on steam would be not being able to install a stand alone addon such as pmdg or a2a planes
                          Wayne Such

Comment

Originally posted by Jetman View Post
                            I wonder if pmdg products will be installed through marketplace within the Sim in steam or outside of steam,my only concern when buying the sim on steam would be not being able to install a stand alone addon such as pmdg or a2a planes
                            They were able to be added just fine for FSX Steam, so I'm not sure why it would be any different here.
                            Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

Originally posted by Jetman View Post
                              The marketplace seems to be accessible ingame, so it probably won't behave differently between Steam and MS Store. Of course, i am speculating, since no one has tried the Steam version.
                              Cristi Neagu

Comment

I'm still wondering what will the market place consist of. It will be like orbx, pmdg, etc. Or it will be strictly Microsoft products and partnerships. Honestly I would buy all addons from producers on their own websites and get the installer from them because it will be much more reliant and safer. However this will be my first time on the Xbox market place for pc
                                Alex Kulak
                                PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

I think it will be the same as it was with fsx.
                                  Danny Z.Cebis

Comment

Working...
                                  X