Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

[14APR20] Moving to Prepar3D v5? READ THIS

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[14APR20] Moving to Prepar3D v5? READ THIS

Captains,

Many of you are planning to make the switch from Prepar3D v4 (P4D) to Prepar3D v5 (P5D) today.

Here are some things we would like you to know. Please read through all of it, so that we don't have the forum flooded with the same question over-and-over, thanks!

Compatibility:
    In order to run PMDG products in P5D, we will need to rebuild certain key pieces of each product in order to strip out problem areas, replace them with correctly implemented features, and capitalize on many of the new efficiencies that are to be gained in this new platform. This process of doing this is underway, but will take some time.

Getting Our Products Rebuilt:
    We are in the process of preparing new version builds of our NGXu product line, the 747, 777 and DC-6 respectively- each updated to be compatible with P5D. These builds are going to take a litle time to roll out to you and your patience is appreciated. The first to roll out will be the 747- and we are hoping to have that to you within days. The others will follow swiftly thereafter.

No Charge for Entry:
    As previously announced, moving from P4D to P5D will be a free update. (Please don't confuse free with easy, however. There is a significant amount of work we have to do in the background for you... and this work takes time.)

Timeline Expectations:
    This is hard to pin down, as these rebuilds are not simply a matter of recompiling the installer with awareness of P5D. There is quite a bit more that goes into them, including complete refactors of certain functions, lighting, etc. These things take time.

Manual Dragon-Drop:
    (Yes- I call it that on purpose... Laugh- it is funny! ) Enterprising users who know enough about how products are structured into P4D will probably be able to manually drag-and-drop all of the necessary files over to P5D. Since we do not make any effort to prevent our product from running when version numbers change- you will find that the P4D versions will run quite happily in P5D- which is just grand, but be warned: There are many things that need to be adjusted in order for the product to run well.

Beware of Dog:
    Anyone who feels enterprising and wishes to drag files around in hopes if seeing our products in P5D: You do so at your own risk. We will not provide, nor will we even answer questions related to any problems you create while doing this. We will not reset license keys for you because you locked yourself out due to impatience, nor will we provide even a hint of suggestion on what you might be doing wrong or how to fix your installation if things go awry. Generally we think it best that you wait until we give you a proper working installer and then you will be all set.

Yes... We are probably aware of that...
    We have already seen a number of users flooding our technical support team with questions along the lines of "I see the new P5D has <insert something> will PMDG <insert related request>." I have instructed our support team to reply to you politely with the following phrase:

"As with all of the platforms that we have worked with during the past 22 years, we will evaluate what features we can use to enhance our excellent product quality. We will communicate those things to you as we accomplish them. Thank you for your interest."

So now you don't have to go to support to ask them. You already have your answer. No- all of these things won't be in the first round of installers... we will bring them to you later when we have actually had time to implement them.

The Order of This and That:
    (Which sounds like a great, Genesis (circa Peter Gabriel period) song title, doesn't it?) You may be wondering what order in which to expect things, such as our already discussed product updates that are rolling out, etc. We don't know at this juncture. Simply focusing on one airplane at a time is the best for our team but it will slow down the P5D update schedule so it isn't optimal- but we really don't even know if it is necessary at this juncture. Many many moving parts and we will push updates and new installers to you as we have them ready.

Thank you for your patience during this transition period- we are a small team and w are working through the tasks just as quickly as we can.

Oh one last thing: As you see folks around the various simming sites discussing details of what we are doing, or what we are not doing, etc- please feel free to link them to this post so that they can also have the latest, factual information!
    Robert S. Randazzo
    PMDG Simulations
    http://www.pmdg.com

Robert,
    Many thanks for the info.

Now to finish building my new computer to run all this new stuff !! ( my 2080ti finally arrived today !
    Ray Sazonov

Comment

Thanks for the Information Robert. Quick question: for those who bought their products by Aerosoft, can we expect a quick transfer of the P5D Installers once available?
      Christian Mbeumo
      i7-8700K @3,7GHz, Z370 Gaming Pro, RAM 32.0GB, DDR4 3000MHz GTX 1080Ti 11GB

Comment

Thankyou for the information and patients is a virtue.
      Danny Z.Cebis

Comment

Crystal clear!

Thanks for the update.
        Akram Jaballah

Comment

Some people will be terribly disappointed 🤣

thanks for the update Robert.
          i7-6700k, GTX 1080TI, 32GB DDR4 RAM @1600MHz, 4k

Marc Ehnle

Comment

Thank you for the information! I really appriciate that you take your time to get customers up-to-date, compared to another add-on developer for some busses who are not informative at all.
            I dont care how long it will take to transfer the pdmg prodcut's into v5 so take your time and keep up the brilliant quality.

One thing that really interests me is if there will be an significant improve in perfomance such as fps?
            My sim is running smooth and espacially with the ngxu, but I am curious if the new 'features' do improve frames of addon aircrafts?

Best Regard,
            Jacob

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob Stolz View Post
              One thing that really interests me is if there will be an significant improve in perfomance such as fps?
              My sim is running smooth and espacially with the ngxu, but I am curious if the new 'features' do improve frames of addon aircrafts?
              My question as well... someone in the beta team posted a youtube video with the Aerosoft A330 at EGLL, comparing V4 to V5, and he saw an increase of 50-100% in fps. I hope so much this is applicable to the NGXu. We'll only know when it's fully optimized for V5 and released by PMDG.
              Marius Stach

AMD Ryzen 3700X
              Nvidia GTX 2060 Super
              32GB RAM

Comment

Your mileage will vary depending on your hardware and amount of addons you have installed.
                Jude Bradley
                System specs: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i9-9988KF Gigabyte Z390, RTX-2070, 32GB RAM Prepar3D V4 X-Plane 11

Comment

Originally posted by StachM View Post

My question as well... someone in the beta team posted a youtube video with the Aerosoft A330 at EGLL, comparing V4 to V5, and he saw an increase of 50-100% in fps. I hope so much this is applicable to the NGXu. We'll only know when it's fully optimized for V5 and released by PMDG.
                  I would love to see a video comparing the two. I would also love for someone to make an instructional video of how to do the upgrades to the new P3D
                  Paul Gugliotta

Comment

• Michael Codd
                    Michael Codd commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Paul, it seems P3Dv5 should be regarded as a completely new product with backward compatibility for some third party addons already. As with any new software, there are bound to be some teething troubles.

Originally posted by Paulyg123 View Post
                  I would love to see a video comparing the two. I would also love for someone to make an instructional video of how to do the upgrades to the new P3D
                  There's vids on YouTube comparing both, just have a search around.

With regards to install of P5D, it's very easy. Uninstall absolutely everything from P4D and clean all folders etc. Then re-install P5D as a nice, fresh, clean, vanilla install. It's the best way.
                  - Karl Brooker

Comment

Originally posted by squerble View Post

There's vids on YouTube comparing both, just have a search around.

With regards to install of P5D, it's very easy. Uninstall absolutely everything from P4D and clean all folders etc. Then re-install P5D as a nice, fresh, clean, vanilla install. It's the best way.
                    Not necessary. Both V4 and V5 can coexist.
                    Chris Makris (Olympic260)
                    PMDG Technical Support

Comment

Isn’t it possible to install it updating like clients and so on as it was before? Or to install it on top of 4.5? Can’t understand the benefits to have both of them on the same pc if v5 will support all the addons or almost of 4.5
                      jacopo v.

Comment

Originally posted by cptjaco View Post
                        Isn’t it possible to install it updating like clients and so on as it was before? Or to install it on top of 4.5? Can’t understand the benefits to have both of them on the same pc if v5 will support all the addons or almost of 4.5
                        No.

V5 will be a completely new version, rather than an iterative update.
                        Robert Sutherland

Comment

Thank you Robert for the information. Your update plan matches my transition plan perfectly. The new SSD for P3DV5 should arrive tomorrow. I will the begin a slow transition to V5 while continuing to fly in V4.

Greg
                          Greg Morin
                          Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Comment

Pfff that’s something really annoying to uninstall everything and redo everything from beginning... hopes in the possibility to overwrite the old version and then update whatever addon needs to
                            jacopo v.

Comment

Hi,
                              Is it going to be implemented the addon.xml feature with the new installer, so we can finally remove any trace in Prepar3d folder?
                              thank's
                              Fabrizio Pascucci

Comment

Originally posted by Simdesign View Post
                                Hi,
                                Is it going to be implemented the addon.xml feature with the new installer, so we can finally remove any trace in Prepar3d folder?
                                thank's
                                Simple answer no
                                PMDG Technical Support

Comment

Originally posted by cptjaco View Post
                                  Pfff that’s something really annoying to uninstall everything and redo everything from beginning... hopes in the possibility to overwrite the old version and then update whatever addon needs to
                                  Bear in mind that this is a big update, as in we've had v3, 4 (which made it a 64bit platform) and now v5 which brings with it myriad improvements. This is no different to the leap from v3 to v4.
                                  Robert Sutherland

Comment

Seems you guys still have the Invisible Touch. Good to see you’re saving us from Land Of Confusion, before we’re In Too Deep.

Take your time, I’m busy Tonight Tonight Tonight anyhow

Comment

• rsrandazzo
                                      rsrandazzo commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Oooh you went with the Phil Collins Pop Era.... No free update for you. We will need your credit card to authorize further updates. :-p -RSR

• CX 747-400
                                      CX 747-400 commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      rsrandazzo That is not very nice of you. For a pilot like you who seems to be a big "Watcher of the Sky" you sure like to create "Ripples". Anyway, I sure hope that you can get the 747 P3Dv5 update done and "Get 'Em Out by Friday" LOL.....

When upgrading to P3D4.5, will 4.5 be an entirely separate program - meaning I can keep my P3D4.4 active - while building up and configuring my P3D4.5?
                                    Paul Gugliotta

Comment

• Tbarker1989
                                      Tbarker1989 commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      P3D4.5 is P3Dv4. To your question the answer is no because P3Dv4.4 and P3Dv4.5 is still P3Dv4. The same program. Now P3Dv5 is technically P3Dv5.0. That is a different program.

Guys. P3Dv4 and P3Dv5 are two different platforms. Like P3Dv3 and P3Dv4 was. No need to get confused.
                                    PMDG Technical Support

Comment

Thanks for the efforts.

My only question is , will the new update for P4D version of QOTSII will take place before the P5D update, or at the same time ?

I maybe won't move to P5D in a such short time, but I really looking forward to the new update on 747s.
                                      Ross Emanuel

Comment

"No Charge for Entry:
                                        As previously announced, moving from P4D to P5D will be a free update. (Please don't confuse free with easy, however. There is a significant amount of work we have to do in the background for you... and this work takes time.)"

All right already, I'll buy the triple 7 and the 747-8 ....don't know when I'll have time to fly'em, wont be easy. ;-)
                                        Ken Carlin

Comment

Wow it is time for hardware updates before loading up this new software from Prepar3d and PMDG! and patiently awaiting! when all of this take place I would love to see how PMDG integrates the complex machine to complex scenery slope runways and engines complexities!
                                          Thank you from the info! Can't wait

Regards,
                                          Rolando Olmo
                                          Stay Home Be Safe! (SHBS)
                                          Rolando Olmo

Comment

Originally posted by cmakris View Post

Not necessary. Both V4 and V5 can coexist.
                                            Hello Chris!

I don't know if PMDG has had the time to turn their mind to this yet, but, if a customer decides to install P5D and leave P4D still active on the same computer, would this customer be able to download one of the PMDG aircraft for P5D (whenever they are ready) without having uninstalled it in P4D?

Many regards and please, keep safe.
                                            Roberto
                                            Roberto Stopnicki
                                            Toronto, Canada

Comment

Wish I could give Robert 2 likes for a Peter Gabriel/Genesis nod in a flight simming post. That takes creativity.
                                              Kyle Weber

Comment

Thanks for the information!

Regards,
                                                Walter Almaraz
                                                Walter Almaraz

Comment

Originally posted by stopnicki View Post

Hello Chris!

I don't know if PMDG has had the time to turn their mind to this yet, but, if a customer decides to install P5D and leave P4D still active on the same computer, would this customer be able to download one of the PMDG aircraft for P5D (whenever they are ready) without having uninstalled it in P4D?

Many regards and please, keep safe.
                                                  Roberto
                                                  That is something we can not answer currently as we have not finalized the P5D installer.
                                                  PMDG Technical Support

Comment

• stopnicki
                                                    stopnicki commented
                                                    Editing a comment
                                                    Thank you, Chris!

Thanks to all team PMDG
                                                  Michael Boeck
                                                  " i7-6950X Rampage V Edition 10 HyperX DDR4 32GB RTX 2080 Duke OC LG-34UM95-P "

Comment

Working...
                                                  X