Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

[12APR20] Easter Morning with a Social Distancing Bunny... Your PMDG Weekend Update.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[12APR20] Easter Morning with a Social Distancing Bunny... Your PMDG Weekend Update.

Captains,

Like most weekends, this has been a heavy working weekend for most of us at PMDG. Not necessarily because we have some compelling need to work on a weekend, but because with the current state of world affairs, there doesn't seem much else to do, does there?

Some quick topical updates for you- and as always- if I don't mention your particular favorite topic, it simply means I have nothing to tell you on that topic at this time...

Pending 747 QOTSII Update Cycle:
    This has been a pretty significant update cycle for the 747 family- and with the update has come a protracted testing cycle as we work hard to iron out a few items that have popped up along the way. Issues related to model animations, PBR, sound processing, cL/cD models, ground effect, ground physics, navdata and a bunch of others... I think we turned a corner in testing late this afternoon with a handful of really difficult items suddenly falling into the "resolved" category- and that has generally improved the mood of both the testing team and the dev team.

We just now pushed another new version to the testers- and provided we didn't break anything new (it happens) this may well be stable enough to push to release once they have had sufficient time to satisfy their curiosity that we indeed tacked down the loose edges and have things polished up the way we like.

Just as a word of warning, we are chasing down one item that nobody on the dev team has succeeded in reproducing, but that we suspect is a negative interaction between the 747 and a non-PMDG product. We are still trying to decide how to positively confirm this- and our inability to do so is slowing down any movement toward release of this update. The negative interaction is rather disruptive and you will understand that I am not describing it, or naming products because right now we are still operating in investigatory mode and we need to find a replication case that allows us to prove the theory before we reach out to another developer with data. Stay tuned- we think this is a very exciting update for the 747 product line.

A few folks have been asking us if/when we will add the EFB to the 747-400. We have begun to evaluate when this will take place, which is not the same as saying we are in the process of doing it. If I were to guess, I would say it will get added during the next major work cycle on the 747-400, which will revolve around moving that product line into Microsoft Flight Simulator. On the face of it, I think we would push the EFB into the 744 across both MSFS and Prepar3D platforms simultaneously **if** this is when we elect to add such a thing. (We haven't decided- but we are evaluating..) Putting the EFB into the 744 is a pretty complex affair because of the number of variants of that airplane. It is a massive amount of data that has to be created and tabulated for use in that environment...

Pending 737 NGXu Update Cycle:
    This update has now been moved back ahead of the 777 (I hinted at this in the last update a few weeks ago!) due to some difficulties we are running into pushing some of the newer technology we have developed backward into the 777 product line. The update for NGXu is more of a maintenance and upkeep cycle, but it will include pretty significant upgrade on a bunch of things related to wheels and brakes. (Ground physics, manual braking, automatic braking, etc) All of these changes are being brought back to Xu from the development work that is wrapping up on the 747 update- as we were able to resolve a number of items on the bigger airplane that also afflict the smaller airplane and by design they share common code so the fixes benefit multiple product lines.

A number of folks have been wondering about over aggressive braking in both automatic and manual modes and this has finally been solved. We have some pretty fancy diagnostic tools that we use to test data performance by outputting information on the performance of these systems in real time- and after chasing my tail on reports of over-aggressive autobrake behavior for the better part of a year- I discovered that disabling the diagnostic capabilities was actually breaking a feedback process from the IRUs, resulting in breaking computations going completely off chart in automatic modes... The good news is that we know the bit failure modes work...

We have a gaggle of other, smaller items coming to you on the 737 update as well- but off the top of my head i don't recall all of them. Look for this update to roll out after the 747 update.

PMDG 777 Update:
    This update is having a difficult gestation period because of the sheer bulk of new technology we are adding to the airplane. The work is slow, but progressing- and it will benefit mightily from some of the advances we finally made on the 747 this week. Look for a bit more information on this update cycle as we get the other two off of our plates.

Prepar3D v5: (P5D)
    We have been guests of Lockheed Martin in their testing program now for some years, and with the public pronouncement of the arrival of P5D I want to give you some clarity on how we plan to handle the transition:

Prepar3D v5 is a major version change for Prepar3D as evidenced by their decision to change from 4.x to 5.x. When we first entered the Prepar3D marketplace, we indicated that pricing on our products would be higher in part because the platform is evolving and this will require development time and management to keep products up-to-date moving forward. The benefits of this have been realized as Prepare3D moved from v3 to v4, and from v4 to V4.4 with PBR, and now to v5. We continue to keep the product line in step with the changes, and we are continuing to roll those changes to you so that you can also keep in step with the platform changes.

What'll It Cost?: At this time we do not see any compelling reason for additional costs to our Prepar3D customer base.

P5D Product Updates: As of this moment, to the best of our knowledge, our core products are compatible with the new version of Prepar3D right out of the box- excepting of course that we do not yet have installers available for customers who wish to upgrade to P5D. We will be rolling out installation updates to our existing Prepar3D product line during the coming days/weeks/months that will allow customers to utilize our products in both the P4D and P5D environments.

How will I get the Update?: Details are pending- but the plan we are currently evaluating is to update the existing installers to recognize and handle installation for P5D. There are a few complexities here in terms of file size, a decision on whether to remove the P3D (version 3, for clarity) to it's own installer, leaving P4D/P5D in the same installer, or to make a brand new P5D installer that is unique to the platform. We are working with a couple of test units to see which we like more and which is more sustainable long term.

Are My Existing Products Already Compatible?: To the best of our knowledge thus far, yes- which means only that our initial testing has shown that they are but we might find a few knee-knockers later on that will need to be resolved. The issue of course is installation- and some users will be comfortable doing a hand installation of an existing product- others will not... We cannot/will not support anyone doing a hand-installation simply because there are too many ways a user can goof it up- but hopefully we'll have new installer mechanisms for you before you need to worry about taking matters into your own hands.

Will we be adding new P5D features?: Yes- of course. That being said, P5D really is evolutionary on the airplane side. While I don't speak for Lockheed Martin, I suspect their focus was on the engine, rendering and efficiency, thus leaving most of the airplane feature side static except for some minor evolutionary changes. That benefits all of us right now with a faster pivot-to-P5D.

When will the new P5D installers be ready?: Just as soon as we can have them available. It may take a few days, to a few weeks to get all of them done. In a perfect world they will be ready for you on 14APR20... It has been my experience that the world is rarely perfect- but that doesn't stop us from trying.

How Long will we develop for P4D?: That remains to be seen. Right now from *our* perspective P4D/P5D are really very very similar so supporting them both is quite easy. Over time I anticipate P5D will separate itself from P4D and that may cause us to decide end development specifically for the P4D platform. Right now we do not see anything on the event horizon that causes us concern in this regard.

If I buy the 747 or 777 or DC-6 on sale before the 14th?: Yup. You get yourself a fantastic simulation you can use immediately in P4D, and the moment we have the updated installers that recognize P5D, you can use them in the new platform too... without any hassle, hoops or hostage payments.

Okay- I think that covers us for today... I have more debugging work to accomplish tomorrow on the 737, but I am sure I'll be checking on a bit later in the day.

Robert S. Randazzo
    PMDG Simulations
    http://www.pmdg.com

Wow that was a long one,and thankyou for all the information this will take some time to digest.
    Danny Z.Cebis

Comment

Thankyou, absolute clarity and a great Easter message
      Kevin Firth

Comment

Thanks very much for this great news. I just bought the 747 400 and 800 when the sale started, and it was not so long ago, relatively, that I bought the 777, and also the NGXu. I am glad to see these aircraft will be able to be used in P3DV5. I was thinking that I would not even go down the P3DV5 route at all if it meant I could not use all my P3DV4 addons, so the more compatible the better, and it may mean I am able to enjoy the benefits of the advances made with P3DV5.

Happy Easter

Cheers,

Comment

Sounds good boss, thanks for the update and looking forward to what's next. Happy Easter!
          Zsolt Szivak

Comment

A brilliant read with morning coffee.

Comment

Thanks for the update and stay safe out there
              Daniel Glover

Comment

777 sounding great thanks heaps!
                Peter Walsh.

Comment

...and the $64000 question......will my 737NGX run OK in P3Dv5?
                  Christopher Low

Comment

• AlexFarmer
                    AlexFarmer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Not really that big of a question. It's almost 10 years old there's no way you could expect them to continue support for it especially considering there is already a successor toit...

• RayP
                    RayP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Whlst the 737NGX may be 10 years old some of us were late to the party. I only bought it 15 months ago. The newer version isn't that appealing to me as I have no need for the EFB (I use Aivlasoft's EFB) and the virtual cockpit is fine on my 3840*2160 monitor. I don't expect an installer but some instructions on what to copy to v5 would be a nice gesture.

• DDowns
                    DDowns commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Probably Christopher, but you will have to wait for the NGX installer to be updated to recognize P3Dv5 and as RSR said that could be days to weeks.

Thanks Robert,

I suppose you just killed my last excuse not to grab the DC-6. My Dad flew them for AAL and loved her. I suppose this is a close as I'll get.

Scott
                  Kendall Scott Mann
                  Still Telling Pilots Where To Go!!!

Comment

• DDowns
                    DDowns commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The PMDG DC-6 is my all time favorite simulated aircraft to fly, and if you Dad flew her then why are you waiting. My uncle was a C-118 prop mechanic in the brown shoe AF days and I couldn't wait to add her to my hangar.

• skyymann
                    skyymann commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi Dan, I broke down and bought her. Gonna be buried in manuals for a day or two. This aint no 777 :-)

Amazing update! Thank you so much for providing a free transition for P3Dv4 customers and for taking the time to explain everything Robert!

Proud to be a PMDG customer : )
                  Ifikratis Kamenidis

Comment

Thank you and happy Easter to all
                    Duarte Vieira

Comment

Thank you Robert for the news and free update to V5!

Happy Easter

Greg
                      Greg Morin
                      Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Comment

Amazing news! Thx for the update to most of the topics! Very great to hear from a flight-simmer-perspective!

Quick question around new physics, etc bla bla: Can we finally get complete GSX integration for the P3D product line? As a captain, I don´t open any doors except of the cockpit or toilet door and its boring to fill my 747 with 120t of fuel within a click.
                        Thx!
                        Timm Rehberg
                        Twitch Stream | V1 Simulations Blog

Comment

• AlexFarmer
                          AlexFarmer commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You could utilise the PMDG Ground Operations for fueling etc.? Only difference is no models for people walking in (if you own GSX v2) and repeated greeting sounds

• RoDuSu
                          RoDuSu commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Robert has answered this question before, so I don't see it being likely.

Thank you for the wonderful updates.....

I had to format my pc recently and im just finishing my rig installation, so its my perfect excuse to dive into the boredomness(happiness) of keeping things running normally and leave the full/deep P5D installation paused until everything is widely stable.

Happy Flying! And looking forward for the T7 updates....
                        Raphael Chacón

PMDG #431793 #371950 #333135 #332876 #292207 #280217 #247845 #206809 #178218 #171813

Comment

I am so disappointed in this community. So long without one word. [irony]How about MD11?[/irony]. I am sorry Mr Randazzo, but I couldn't resist
                          Mikael Johansson

Comment

Thanks for the update. Will the B747-400 upcoming update be released as a stand-alone download?. I uninstalled mine while waiting for the update, so I would say I'd like the updated files are coming in a new download, including OC2 maybe?.
                            Cheers, Ed
                            Ed Patino

Comment

• Tbarker1989
                              Tbarker1989 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Are you referring to the QOTS II or the legacy one? If you are referring the QOTS II then the installer should already include OC2 now.

Hi Robert,

Happy Easter. Thank you for the update.

Quick question. Any news concerning the LNAV/FMC update?

Thanks!

Rich Boll
                            Wichita, KS
                            Rich Boll
                            Wichita, KS

Comment

Thanks for this gem of an update!

Did you see any performance increase in P3D V5?

Comment

Wonder if anybody will actually get anything PMDG to work before new installers come out. I would love to see the first :P

I will paypal somebody $20 if they get it working and can prove it.,
                                Last edited by Mroberts95; 13Apr2020, 00:24.
                                Mark Roberts

Comment

• rsrandazzo
                                  rsrandazzo commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Mark, I've already done it. NDA prevents me from showing you images of it, however. You can just send that $20 right over, except we already told you we don't think you should pay for this transition. Although- i'll make an exception for you. :-p - RSR

• Mroberts95
                                  Mroberts95 commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Sounds good! I will send that over in exchange for the first V5 Installer :P. More of a joke. I am not sure if anybody will actually be able to do it without editing DLLs

Originally posted by hasse29 View Post
                                I am so disappointed in this community. So long without one word. [irony]How about MD11?[/irony]. I am sorry Mr Randazzo, but I couldn't resist
                                Boring as usual that md11 talk that’s why nobody talks about it
                                Duarte Vieira

Comment

• hasse29
                                  hasse29 commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Yeah, I never bought it. But before there was constantly questions about it, and Mr Randazzo always pointed out that there would be no MD11. So I am suprised that no one has mentioned it for a long time.

Dare I ask if there will be upgrade pricing on the Microsoft Flight Simulator 747? If this is planned, will it be exclusively for FSX customers due to the licensing or will it also apply to P3D customers? I am only asking as if there are plans to have an FSX edition exclusive upgrade, I would want to pick up the FSX 747 now during the sale as opposed to later. Thanks in advance!

Kashif Eizdi

Comment

Wow, a lot to think about. I may just get a new computer for FS2020 and P3DV5.
                                Paul Gugliotta

Comment

i want for the B767
                                  Steven Silva

Comment

Looking forward to what lies ahead for the flight sim community. May everyone have a wonderful, and Safe Easter.
                                    JWalker

Comment

Hi Capt. R.

Thank you for this detailed update! Looking forward to enjoying more time in p3d v5 with pmdg products. One question is that you referred to PBR in the 747 update....does this mean a PBR flight deck or just tweaks to the PBR exterior model? I must say as much as I love flying the 747, since I've been spoiled by the updated NGxu panel, it is starting to really show its age : (

Wishing for an update to the 747 vc in the same way the 737 got such a great treatment! Is that part of the update this round or on the list for future updates?

Thank you

Alex Abdel-Malek
                                      Alex Abdel-Malek
                                      (PMDG 737 NGXu, 747-400)
                                      i8700k, 4.3Ghz
                                      RTX 2070

Comment

What about fsx, will current problems be fixed?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander View Post
                                          What about fsx, will current problems be fixed?
                                          Please add a signature to your profile in order to ensure that your posts are signed, real name first and last.. You were advised/agreed to this requirement when initially establishing an account. Thank you!

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-fo...pdated-25feb19

FSX is a platform we no longer develop for.
                                          Chris Makris (Olympic260)
                                          PMDG Technical Support

Comment

Thanks for the response to my question regarding the 737 NGX in P3Dv5, Dan. That is encouraging news. I have no problem waiting an extended period of time before upgrading to the new version of the simulator. I am enjoying my flights around ORBx TrueEarth regions in P3Dv4.
                                            Christopher Low

Comment

• rsrandazzo
                                              rsrandazzo commented
                                              Editing a comment
                                              Christopher,

Dan did not provide you with accurate information. NGX is no longer in development and will not be carried into P5D.

Originally posted by Christopher Low View Post
                                            Thanks for the response to my question regarding the 737 NGX in P3Dv5, Dan. That is encouraging news. I have no problem waiting an extended period of time before upgrading to the new version of the simulator. I am enjoying my flights around ORBx TrueEarth regions in P3Dv4.
                                            Christopher, I hate to be the bearer of bad news... but NGX will not be ported to P3Dv5 nor will provide any kind of support or instructions to manually move it.
                                            Chris Makris (Olympic260)
                                            PMDG Technical Support

Comment

Working...
                                            X