Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

Anyone doing more flying during the "lockdown"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone doing more flying during the "lockdown"

I am bored as hell. I am in Day 8 of the 15 day "stay home order". Since I can't go to work ( I was ordered to work from home), I have too much time on my hands. I've been flying almost 8 hours a day jumping between e-mails and work calls and my cockpit. I could use something different - a new plane, a new scenery, an extra girlfriend - but it seems the whole flight sim community is dead right now. It would be a good time for MS2020 to be released. or Flight Ops. or the LD757.
    Paul Gugliotta
    United 257 heavy

You've got guts posting your real name and indicating that your work from home routine involves flight simming!

For what it is worth, VATSIM is setting records for activity. I'm sure the other networks are too. Check the online ATC maps and go find a new place to fly and get some human interaction too!
    Steve Perry
    PMDG Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by SHP View Post
      You've got guts posting your real name and indicating that your work from home routine involves flight simming!

For what it is worth, VATSIM is setting records for activity. I'm sure the other networks are too. Check the online ATC maps and go find a new place to fly and get some human interaction too!
      Multitasking at best... however when you are deemed essential kinda hard to skip work haha
      Alex Kulak
      PMDG Studier and flyer
      Ramp Agent

Comment

Can't fly because I still have to work, so I'm never home. Work for me consists of driving a tractor-trailer hauling food, so the stores get stocked. As a result, work from home is not an option for me.
        Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

• Ephedrin
          Ephedrin commented
          Editing a comment
          No Truck simulator? :P

• Lanica
          Lanica commented
          Editing a comment
          Appreciate your guys Keven. Keep the groceries coming.

• hontzt
          hontzt commented
          Editing a comment
          Can’t work from home either; I drive an 18 wheeler too! My wife is working from home and will occupy the computer...

Originally posted by Captain Kevin View Post
        Can't fly because I still have to work, so I'm never home. Work for me consists of driving a tractor-trailer hauling food, so the stores get stocked. As a result, work from home is not an option for me.
        Take it easy and stay in good health my friend and plenty of vit c.
        Danny Z.Cebis

Comment

I've totally been flying more, finally flexing the wings on the NGXu.
          After I get off work of course
          Billy Walowitz

Comment

No. Why? Two kids running-crawling around, kindergarden is closed. I am on the verge of my sanity :-D Moreover - I always try to mimic real world flights when flying for one of my (many!) VA's, which is now not really possible - here in Europe one in ten flights actually happens.

Stay safe, Jan
            Jan Vysoký

Comment

Significantly more... I can‘t work from home so I was sent home to do basically nothing. Minimum 2 weeks, likely 4. I‘d go crazy if I was one of those who have nothing to do at home. Perfect weather here in Germany, the bikes are parked in the garage and I‘m flying aircraft I haven‘t touched for ages. 777, Learjet 35, MD82, Cessnas, P51. Little 737 and 747 I must admit.
              i7-6700k, GTX 1080TI, 32GB DDR4 RAM @1600MHz, 4k

Comment

Maybe slightly more, currently enroute on a fictional flight, Lhbp- Lieo. I am alternating between 747 and 737 flights. Time to pull the 777 out of the hangar too!
                Stay safe everyone!
                Zsolt Szivak

Comment

Yes heaps more! I am rotating between 10 aircraft - 3 x PMDG Boeings, A320, Q400, PC12, PA31, C182, C172 and even the C152 to potter around and explore the detailed FSX cities and airports at 1,000'.

Rob Stevenson

Comment

Not really. Have a 4 year old and Mrs at home so im still restricted to the evening

Update: Just been informed if im to do the garden, tidy the kitchen and sort the lunch out i can then get the NGXU airborne!
                    Last edited by C.Howard; 24Mar2020, 11:21.
                    Chris Howard.

Comment

Doing more, but around work from home and Dad duties, so lots of pause-at-top-of-descent action!
                      Mark Adeane

Comment

Actually I've been learning a cool app I just bought on sale. Chaseplane . Having fun creating camera views for my diffrent planes. What a fun and powerful asset to my sim. Highly recommended though it takes a little time to discover all the options. Also installed the neat Lorby Live Traffic. My P3DV4 is at such an advanced state I'm keeping it regardless of any new simulations.
                        Victor Green

Comment

https://d32odw1frluegp.cloudfront.ne...148/dbttac.mp4
                          Stefan Knuepfer

Comment

On week #2 working remotely - as a developer lots of us work from home 1 or 2 days a week anyhow. A little more flying, but only marginally. I spend 9 hours at this home work station and when work is done, I kind of feel like getting up and going to a new part of the house. The idea of spending another 2-3 hours in the same chair at the same desk....uggg. All the days are beginning to run together for me...I woke up this morning confused about which day of the week it was.

I usually plan out my flights meticulously, and I did a fully programmed FMC flight from DuPage Illinois (KDPA) to Saginaw Michigan (KBMS) and once there I said to myself, why not fly back to KDPA without using the FMC for anything related to navigation, and flew back using VOR to VOR station navigation. It was fun, and refreshing for a change. Had skyvector called up on the other screen to pick out VOR stations and it was so easy and quick to get started I asked myself why spend all that time setting up the FMC when you can just hit it and go.

Thinking about reinstalling my MilViz DHC-2 Beaver for some nap of the earth flying. I like the possibility of getting lost. I'd have done it already but setting up all the views again in ChasePlane….well I am a procrastinator after all.

Stay safe everyone, and hey thanks Captain Kevin for your hard work. Those who have critical jobs should do them; those who can stay home, like me, should absolutely do so. I've been following the rules and it's starting to feel like a jail sentence but I shall carry on.

Mark Trainer

Comment

Actually less, since the boss is also at home. I'm also working from home full-time here for the moment
                              Jude Bradley
                              System specs: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i9-9988KF Gigabyte Z390, RTX-2070, 32GB RAM Prepar3D V4 X-Plane 11

Comment

Kevin!
                                Your work, is now as critical as the work that first responders do.
                                Thank you and to all the others who are still out there, making sure that all of us can stay indoors, properly supplied and safe.
                                It is much appreciated.

Tomorrow we finish our two-week self imposed quarantine and we will be able to get some exercise and fresh air while walking in the neighbourhood and maintaining a safe distance from others.

Had to tear myself away from my NGXu fun, to dust off a B777, remember its procedures, recall oceanic rules and regulations, in anticipation of VATSIM's Cross the Pond event in a couple of weeks.

Take care everybody!
                                Roberto
                                Roberto Stopnicki
                                Toronto, Canada

Comment

I've only being flying the 747-400 since everything got closed, I've been flying former 747-400 routes, though I do own the 777, NGXu, and 747-8, but I'm only sticking with the 747-400 until the qurantine ends.
                                  Nafsir Khandaker -Private Pilot working towards Instrument rating.

Comment

I also dusted off the 777 and did a complete flight from cold dark state. The 777 is so much fun to fly. Simple & smooth).

I'd say for any newbies who want to learn a jet, the 777 is the easiest to learn (of the PMDG and QW lines)
                                    Paul Gugliotta
                                    United 257 heavy

Comment

• TooTall
                                      TooTall commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      I just started flying the 777, despite it being in my library for a long time. Love the way the plane gradually wakes up from cold and dark!

Originally posted by Paulyg123 View Post
                                    I also dusted off the 777 and did a complete flight from cold dark state. The 777 is so much fun to fly. Simple & smooth).

I'd say for any newbies who want to learn a jet, the 777 is the easiest to learn (of the PMDG and QW lines)
                                    I wouldn‘t say so. Mainly it depends if one has already some experience flying in general, if not the 777 easily let‘s one develop bad and wrong habits. There‘s too much going on behind the scenes an unexperienced pilot won‘t ever know if he only starts with the 777. starting with business jets or maybe the 737 is a lot honester. The pitch-power-effect (pitch is speed, throttle is altitude) is valid for every airplane from a tiny Cessna through 737 and A330 to the SR71 but who would ever understand it starting with a 777 that lets you leave the autothrust on all the time? Etc etc. It‘s easy to fly in the sim, that‘s true, but I find her a hard plane to really understand. A 737 is much more straight forward, (if you don‘t count the MCP in 😝 )
                                    i7-6700k, GTX 1080TI, 32GB DDR4 RAM @1600MHz, 4k

Comment

Originally posted by Ausflight View Post
                                      Take it easy and stay in good health my friend and plenty of vit c.
                                      Yeah, I'm trying up here, but finding food is a bit of a challenge at the moment.
                                      Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

Our quarantine has been since January, and has recently been lifted, but there are still limited options you can do here. There is no business at all, so my 747 has been running at least 12 hours a day since January. You do the math
                                        Mikael Johansson

Comment

yes, Holmes Place has closed - no sports, just flying...

Michael
                                          Michael Thesen

Comment

Yeah, I'm trying up here, but finding food is a bit of a challenge at the moment.
                                            Kevin what region do you work in? The roads must be empty. Hey, do you have any toilet paper on those trucks. My store is still out.
                                            Paul Gugliotta
                                            United 257 heavy

Comment

• Ausflight
                                              Ausflight commented
                                              Editing a comment
                                              You want toilet paper try online as some greedy people are stocking up on it and then selling it to the unfortunate ones for profit.Absolutly discraceful.😒
                                              Last edited by Ausflight; 25Mar2020, 22:27.

Being an old retired bachelor that likes my dog more than I like most people, my flight simming has been about the same. Day long sessions about four or five days per week. The only difference I notice is when I leave home and a trip to the grocery store yesterday was an eye opener. People do strange things when they are scared and lack knowledge to lead them through a crisis... why some things disappear from the shelves and not others is an interesting mystery. We hit a new low in Texas yesterday when our Lt Governor opined that old people would gladly die to allow the economy to be restored. Hmmm... not sure most of us old farts are going to go along with that. It's sad that fear brings out the worst in some, but on the other hand there are many many others that rise and perform great acts of selflessness and humanity. I am pleased to be a part of this community of simmers who generally support each other. And, what a great hobby to have for such times!
                                            Dan Downs KCRP

Comment

• Lanica
                                              Lanica commented
                                              Editing a comment
                                              Dan ole buddy, you've been an asset here. I've learned a few things from you're post.

Since I have worked from home for my entire career (coding flight sims....also for my entire career) not much has changed for me. Little flying for fun and mostly occasional jumps into the sim to test something.
                                            Jonathan Bleeker

Comment

Still working for KLM, at Schiphol Amsterdam Airport (EHAM)
                                              Most of the flights are canceled now, but someone has to load the bags for the people that are still flying today.. 😎

One somewhat sad side effect of this Corona crisis, is that KLM has decided to retire the remaining 747 fleet next month...instead of next year... So, when I saw the PH-BFL "City of Lima" today - relaxed bathing in a warm spring sunshine - I simply had to ask a colleague to take some pictures of myself and the Queen. Just to say goodbye to her, before I can't do it anymore soon.. 😔

VERY glad however that I still have my PMDG KLM 747's, they really look like the real deal! 🙂

​​​​​​
                                              Last edited by rheinis; 25Mar2020, 21:38.
                                              Robin Heinis FSX-SE (DX10)..PMDG MD-11/NGX/777/747.."PMDG made EZ" (EZdok/ChasePlane profile pack)..the usual addons..PC specs: Intel i7 4790K ..GTX1080..16 GB..W7 64bit

Comment

I wish! As an ER Nurse, I think I’ve actually worked more.

Jay Perry

Comment

• rheinis
                                                rheinis commented
                                                Editing a comment
                                                Respect, Jay. Respect. A warm Thanks to you and all your colleagues. 👏👍

Originally posted by Paulyg123 View Post
                                              Kevin what region do you work in? The roads must be empty. Hey, do you have any toilet paper on those trucks. My store is still out.
                                              Can't help you there, we haul mostly food. I'm all over the country, but spent most of my time in the eastern half of the country.
                                              Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

Too much craziness. No flying. I'm opportunistic and made some investments. I'm thinking about the companies that are down right now because of this nastiness alien and eventually they'll recover. And, if they don't recover than more than likely It'll have killed me. I am very set on owning a phenom 300. If you've ever been lucky enough to fly one, they're amazing. For single pilot ops, nothing beats it. I've looked at the highest performing turbo props, they're impressive, but they dont' come close to the phenom. I do plan on flying tonight and keep my skills up. I want a real airplane!

Jason M. Tutwiler
                                                Jason Tutwiler

Comment

Working...
                                                X