Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

[07MAR20] Your Weekend Update - a Bit of 777 Goodness

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[07MAR20] Your Weekend Update - a Bit of 777 Goodness

Captains,

I have been busy the past couple of weekends and missed the weekend update post cycle- so I have some fun news for you this weekend in order to make up for it.

Running through each product line:

PMDG 737NGXu
    We are at work on the BBJ expansion for this product line, and we are hoping to preview the airplane for you in the coming weeks. The BBJ/BBJ2 will include use of all of the Auxilliary fuel tanks, sport fully customized interiors and a bunch of other high-end goodies that we think you will enjoy. Once we have these completed, attention will pivot to the freighter versions of the airplane and we will give you more details on both of these expansion packages when we get a bit closer.

In the general background, we continue to work through improvements, fixes and functionality enhancements on the entire Xu product line- and we are starting to evaluate a schedule for pushing an update to our beta team for validation. We are trying to give them only a single product at a time to evaluate, which does cause things to stack up a bit- but it should be fun as we will have a broad array of product line updates in rapid succession.

The schedule for the next service update for the NGXu product line is in sequence behind a pair of updates, one each for the 747 and 777 which are detailed below.

PMDG 747
    We have an update being prepared for testing on this product line that includes primarily a bunch of backlogged fixes, code tweaks and the like. Larger items included in this update are expected to include ground physics and new lifting physics that should improve the the flex model of the wings so that they are more on-par with what we introduced with the NGXu platform. As always we have a broad array of small items that we collected into our tracking software and that we have found time to update- just part of the normal lifecycle support for the product.

This build was supposed to push out to our beta team yesterday, but has taken a bit longer than planned. Given the invasive nature of some of the physics changes to the wing and gear/steering/braking model I am going to give the betas a bit more time with this one than we normally would for a "routine" update. Ten-to-fourteen days, I suspect- just to be sure we get a good feedback/tweak/feedback/tweak cycle on these changes before we turn it out to all of you.

PMDG 777:

Once the 747 update is signed off, we will shift the testing team's attention to a new update for the 777. Now- the really neat feature that will roll out with this update is the complete remap of all of the external models to include PBR. Jason has been hard at work bringing PBR to the 777 and we think this adds an extra level of visual goodness that you will really enjoy having in P3D v4.

We have been talking about getting around to an update for 777 for some time, and this update is **finally** going to move over to beta testing right behind the 747 update mentioned above. This update will be the first for the 777 in nearly 20 months- and will bring forward a significant number of core functionality fixes that we have made to key systems in the airplane shared with the 747 and 737 product lines. (Think, FMS, AFDS, that sort of thing...) Major changes to the airplane will also include update physics, which will improve ground handling, braking and wing flex as discussed on the 747. Since the physics model is a pass-through from 737/747, I'm hoping the testing benefits from the previous test cycle with the 747 and thus will really not require a significant period of tweak/feedback/tweak, thus shortening the overall testing cycle before we bring her to you.

PMDG_777PBR_screenshot1.jpg

PMDG_777PBR_screenshot2.jpg

This update will cover the entire PMDG 777 product line, to include the 777-200LR, 777F and 777-300ER. The addition of PBR materials dramatically improves the effect of lighting and illumination on the airframe, as you can see clearly from this shot of the 300ER with the unsafe light illumated inside the gear bay:

PMDG_777PBR_screenshot3.jpg

PMDG_777PBR_screenshot4.jpg

And of course we would be remiss not showing a beauty shot of a freshly repainted freighter on the stand preparing to go to work:

PMDG_777PBR_screenshot5.jpg

We have talked previously about when, where and how we will bring the EFB into the 777 and that topic remains unresolved. As you can see by the breadth of this update we have a tremendous amount of workflow for the team, and I haven't even touched on topics such as PMDG Global Flight Operations or Microsoft Flight Simulator. (Yes- both of those also exist in the background as well...)

The good news is that we are in a hiring phase, and we have gotten a couple of very interesting candidates in that process whom we will interview and eventually (we hope) expand the team up to the staffing level we need going forward in 2020. That should (in theory) help us to begin following through with some of the things we would really like to do, such as adding the EFB to the 777 and expanding the fleet with a 200ER expansion package. To date we simply don't have the staffing to maintain our entire product line **and** take on large side projects simultaneously- so that should fix soon enough.

Okay- I think that is about all I have to share with you this weekend... There is LOTS more to tell you about- but... one thing at a time. (Right... three product lines in major testing and i tell you "one thing at a time...................)

Enjoy your weekend flying!

Robert S. Randazzo
    PMDG Simulations
    http://www.pmdg.com

That is great news! Thanks for the update!

Søren Geertsen

Comment

Great news, been waiting for the BBJ and Cargo's since the original NGX release.

200ER is also something I can't wait for. Will that dripple down to a non ER 300 also? That's on the level of the 200ER right?
      Kristoffer Rivedal

Comment

Fantastic updates from PMDG, looking forward to the BBJ expansion and may even get back into the 777 with the new PBR upgrades, it really did transform the NGX into a beautiful product 😃

Ben O'Donnell

Comment

Great news and thanks for the update. I can't wait to start flying the T7 again. And of course waiting also for the GFO as well
          Last edited by VoyagerP3D; 07Mar2020, 22:53.
          Christian Mbeumo

Comment

Dang was really hoping got GFO to be close

But excited for the 777!
            Alex Kulak
            PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

• rsrandazzo
              rsrandazzo commented
              Editing a comment
              You and me both. I want GFO out the door so I can stop attending the twice-weekly meetings on the topic. Do you know much more higher my productivity will be without those? :-p -RSR

• Swaluver88
              Swaluver88 commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll help get it out the door, you already know how much I am infatuated with that program lol

Good stuff! I really do hope the 200ER arrives this year.
            Bogdan Misko

Comment

So flying the STOL version of the NG has been fun, but are we really waiting until after the 747/777 updates to receive a fix for the overly aggressive braking?
              Alex Pugh

Comment

The 777 looks to be dope!
                Thx for the update - cant wait!
                Timm Rehberg
                Twitch Stream | V1 Simulations Blog

Comment

Thanks for the news, the 777 looks nice, I must admit I am a sucker for the new PMDG house livery!
                  Zsolt Szivak

Comment

Thanks for the update, Robert. Are you able to reveal what sky textures are used on these pictures?
                    Last edited by Anton Vind; 08Mar2020, 04:52.
                    Anton Vind
                    CPU: i9-9900K, GPU: RTX 2080 SUPER, RAM: 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz, Drives: 2 TB SSD

Comment

I have been flying the 777 much as I love the 747 and the 737. I will start flying it when the EFB is added. What was the first PMDG plane to come out? When did the 777 come out? I am wondering how long have I been flying PMDG planes.
                      Paul Gugliotta

Comment

The new house livery simply looks gorgeous on the 777!

Are there any information if the 777 update will feature the addition of rainmaker, ground/turbolence shaking or the addition of the current ACARS features (OOOI for example) ?
                        Last edited by Hendrik96; 08Mar2020, 01:04.

Comment

Robert,

Will our current liveries work with this? Or will they need to be installed all again?
                          David Norfolk

Comment

Originally posted by davidnorfolk96 View Post
                            Will our current liveries work with this? Or will they need to be installed all again?
                            If it's anything like the 747, which I'm thinking it most likely is, in most cases, yes. If the entire livery is painted, it's just a matter of adding the PBR textures in. If you have bare metal on the livery, on the other hand, that's where you're going to need some work done on the PBR textures for it to show up properly. Steve made a detailed thread about how PBR textures work. Have a look if you're interested. It also shows you the issue with bare metal liveries.

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-fo...-used-to-green
                            Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

Yesssssssssssss! I can't wait for the -200ER expansion!!! Even though I have poured many hours getting the 77L as close as I physically can to the 772 RR (using TSS sound packs, RR engine repaints ect.) I am so tired of flying my fake BA 772 fleet everywhere and it will be AMAZING having the real thing in the sim at last! Also, that PBR looks phenomenal, especially on the updated PMDG house livery - I must say, that livery shows PBR at it's finest! I know it's probably waaaaaaaay too early to ask such a thing, but what rough price would the 772 expansion be? It'd just be nice to know now so I can put some money aside ready, but it's not important if that's not been decided atm. Thank you for the great update, and for making my weekend with the 777-200ER news!
                              Antony Quinn

Comment

Is the 737-800 freighter gonna come with the BBJ's?

Comment

• capnoz
                                  capnoz commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  RSR said the frieghters will come after the BBJ's

I really wish PMDG would build a " new " airplane for us to learn. I do enjoy flying the improved versions etc, but I think most of us here would love to see something completely new...

Peter Osborn.
                                Last edited by capnoz; 08Mar2020, 03:56.

Comment

• Captain Lars
                                  Captain Lars commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  The 777 is a six year old product that sees the first update in almost two years now - substantial updates and fixes for long-standing bugs, and yet you are complaining and rather want "something completely new". Don't begrudge us 777-Pilots, please.

Originally posted by capnoz View Post
                                I really wish PMDG would build a " new " airplane for us to learn. I do enjoy flying the improved versions etc, but I think most of us here would love to see something completely new...

Peter Osborn.
                                I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that the "other" projects RSR keeps hinting at are completely new product lines.
                                Alex Pugh

Comment

• Anton Vind
                                  Anton Vind commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Has he hinted other projects than the MAX? 777X?

Peter Osborn.
                                In his post [28FEB20], RSR wrote:

"At PMDG we have a tremendous product line that must continue to grow and evolve, as well as exciting new product lines with the introduction of PMDG Global Flight Operations and a new airliner simulation project that is as-yet not announced."

So they are working on something completely new that the community has not seen yet.
                                Last edited by Anton Vind; 08Mar2020, 04:51.
                                Anton Vind
                                CPU: i9-9900K, GPU: RTX 2080 SUPER, RAM: 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz, Drives: 2 TB SSD

Comment

I'm really excited to see the features of the NGXu moved to the B744\B777. I think the ground physics and wing flex (lift) model are superb! Thanks for the great update. I had the B777 for FSX and will be picking that up for P3D once the update is out.

Until then, the NGXu will be my main flying machine. Blue skeis!
                                  Last edited by Tino; 08Mar2020, 05:45.
                                  Sante Sottile - CYVR

Comment

High-end goodies on BBJ
                                    Let me guess, EVS on HUD?
                                    ZHU Hai
                                    B737 Ground instructor

Comment

The B777 love is so overdue and the level of progress and commitment conveyed in this report lifts my spirits. On the balance, I remain grateful that PMDG is here to make my simming life brighter.
                                      Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Comment

Will the 777 be using the same dynamic flood lights and taxi / tiller update as the NGXu?
                                        Dan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Wise87 View Post
                                          Will the 777 be using the same dynamic flood lights and taxi / tiller update as the NGXu?
                                          Since the ground physics is being updated for both the 747 and the 777, I'm going to go ahead and say yes. Can't help you with the first one.
                                          Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

• VHOJT
                                            VHOJT commented
                                            Editing a comment
                                            I hope not. Frame killing things they are!

Any idea on pricing for these updates?

Steve.

Comment

• Tbarker1989
                                            Tbarker1989 commented
                                            Editing a comment
                                            The updates are free. The expansion packages discussed are not.

Originally posted by Sigmet View Post
                                          Any idea on pricing for these updates?

Steve.
                                          PMDG FORUM RULES

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.
                                          STEFAN ĐORĐEVIĆ

Comment

Good news? Bad news? I like all news. Yay! Thanks for the update.
                                            Tim Barker
                                            FAA Air Traffic Control Specialist

Comment

Thanks for the update. Can’t wait for the little cargo 737!!😃
                                              Regards from Cologne,
                                              Tobi

Comment

Originally posted by davidnorfolk96 View Post
                                                Robert,

The liveries are expected to work OK. However a reinstall will be needed in the near future as we are going to chnage the 777 livery naming to bring them in line with the 744/NGXu naming scheme
                                                Chris Makris (Olympic260)
                                                PMDG Technical Support
                                                http://www.pmdg.com

Comment

Working...
                                                X