Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

[06MAR19] Update for 747 fleet is pending & RSR needs some help. (No, really. I do...)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[06MAR19] Update for 747 fleet is pending & RSR needs some help. (No, really. I do...)

Captains,

PMDG 747 Queen of the Skies II Update:
    Wanted to give you all a quick update on the progress of testing the pending update for the 747 series because I know many of you are hoping to see us push an update before the weekend. Currently, I am very optimistic that this will happen, as we have largely satisfied ourselves that the update is ready for your use.

One VERY important observation that I want to make: Lockheed Martin has been saying that in order to use PBR, you only need to update the Prepar3D Client to v4.4. We have found this not to be valid guidance, as any airplane that uses reflective, polished aluminum will not appear correctly unless you also update the Prepar3D Content as well. We brought this up to Lockheed and they stuck to their guidance, but other developers in the discussion jumped in to back our findings with identical findings of their own- so please file that away as a point of reference.

If you want to use PBR in Prepar3D v4, PMDG's guidance is to update both CLIENT and CONTENT or you are going to see strange results on polished aluminum surfaces.

Stay tuned for update... It won't be tonight, but possibly wednesday or thursday.

Also note: This update does a bit of tweaking and tuning in areas OTHER than just adding PBR to P3D v4. I'll get you those details in the change list a bit later.

Also note 2: This update will break backward compatibility with Prepar3D v4.0- P3D v4.3. We mentioned this in an earlier update cycle- so the time has come to update that sim platform!

Rob Needs Help Connecting With Livery Painters:
    A few months back, we reached out via our (old) forum seeking livery painters that are interested in helping us with some items related to PMDG Global Flight Operations. Almost immediately after putting out that request, we hit some knee-knockers that prevented us from moving forward with the request- and I diligently stored all of the emails in a folder within Outlook. Fast forward a few months and we are finally ready to pick up where we left off, but I lost the contents of that folder during the transition to Outlook 365. (Don't get me started on a rant related to Outlook's latest tantrum...)

I managed to find a few of those folks whom I had replied to earlier, or otherwise retained the email- but I lost about a dozen contacts from folks I was genuinely excited to work with. If you were one of those folks, or if you are just seeing this now and have experience painting liveries and wish to be involved- please drop into the livery painters forum and plant a flag to let us know you are interested. I'll have some instructions for you- and we will see where things lead.

Also- if you happen to have a favorite livery artist who you think might be interested in working with us who might not see this because they aren't yet signed up in our new forum system, please point this out to them and encourage them to join us over in the livery painter's channel.

We have some interesting things brewing!

Robert S. Randazzo
    PMDG Simulations
    http://www.pmdg.com

Thanks for the update Capt. RSR!!! Looking forward to the update. Excited to know that I can use the liveries that I have installed withe the update and PBR will still work. At least I'll be able to finish my trans-atlantic tonight from KIAD-EDDF...Currently at FL350. This will probably be my last flight using tomatoshade with the 747. Thanks again!!

V/R

Darren Esannason

Comment

This doesn't mean anything coming from me, but I do really appreciate these updates. Life hasn't been great to me lately so updates about a hobby I enjoy are a nice break from everything.

thank you,
      Matt kubanda
      Matt kubanda

Comment

Thankyou for the information Robert i always update my P3D to Client,Content and Scenery anyway when LR comes up with new one so I’m not worried.Also take your time about the PBR as mentioned before as long as were flying that’s the main thing.Looking forward to all the good stuff PMDG team.😊
        Best Regards.
        Danny Z.Cebis

Comment

Originally posted by rsrandazzo View Post
          If you want to use PBR in Prepar3D v4, PMDG's guidance is to update both CLIENT and CONTENT or you are going to see strange results on polished aluminum surfaces.
          I don't recall the last time I did a CONTENT update -- what are the consequences? Does this mean a reinstall of aircraft and sceneries?

Thanks for the update.
          Sam Kharey

Comment

Originally posted by speedbirdyyc View Post

I don't recall the last time I did a CONTENT update -- what are the consequences? Does this mean a reinstall of aircraft and sceneries?

Thanks for the update.
            Sam Kharey
            Sorry - was mistaken...
            -DELETED-
            Last edited by Anders Bermann; 08Mar2019, 09:21.
            Best regards,
            --Anders Bermann--

Comment

Strangely, I don't remember if, back in November, I updated only Client or also Content. Where can I check that? Is there a version number for Content somewhere?
              James Goggi

Comment

Originally posted by speedbirdyyc View Post

Thanks for the update.
                Sam Kharey
                Content upgrade should not mess anything in P3D. It adds new default planes etc.
                Chris Makris (Olympic260)
                PMDG Technical Support

Comment

Originally posted by jgoggi View Post
                  Strangely, I don't remember if, back in November, I updated only Client or also Content. Where can I check that? Is there a version number for Content somewhere?
                  James,

Open the add/remove programs. Find the P3D entries, there should be 4 of them, client, content, scenery and a general one. See the version reported next to the content one
                  PMDG Technical Support

Comment

Originally posted by cmakris View Post

James,

Open the add/remove programs. Find the P3D entries, there should be 4 of them, client, content, scenery and a general one. See the version reported next to the content one
                    Thank you, Chris!
                    James Goggi

Comment

• cxa106
                      cxa106 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the update. Always much appreciated.

Great news, lookking forward to the update.
                    Bernhard Schiel

Comment

Good to hear on the update.
                      Congrats to the new forum and 1000 thanks for your outstanding products!
                      Friedl Bergmann - EDDM

i7-7700K @ 4.20GHz, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 1070

Comment

As they said, it is easy to upgrade the sim. The following way worked best for me.
                        • Client und Content downloaded from prepar3d.com
                        • Client deinstallation via windows control panel, BUT: without deleting the registry.
                        • Content deinstall via windows control panel
                        • Client new install
                        • Content new install
                        • If you have FSUIPC, you need the newest version 5.15 for P3D v4
                        • After first P3D start, it takes a minute or two to come up for the system

enjoy
                        Friedl Bergmann - EDDM

i7-7700K @ 4.20GHz, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX 1070

Comment

There is a very comprehensive post in LM forum on what exactly needs to be done. Friedl post summarized these instructions.

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewt...=6322&t=120861
                          PMDG Technical Support

Comment

Excited to see this roll out!
                            Alex Kulak
                            PMDG Studier and flyer
                            Ramp Agent @PHX

Comment

I normally uninstall/reinstall P3Dv4 whenever a new version comes out, anyway. Just had too many problems in the past with some odd idiosyncrasies arising from possible content/client differences. It may be partly psychological on my part, but I just "feel better" when everything is installed fresh. And yes, I own a lot of add-ons, so this is no small task!
                              Chris Parrott

Comment

Originally posted by rsrandazzo View Post
                                Also- if you happen to have a favorite livery artist who you think might be interested in working with us who might not see this because they aren't yet signed up in our new forum system, please point this out to them and encourage them to join us over in the livery painter's channel.
                                Hope John Tavers (Textures by Tavers) was able to reach out to you, on this new forum. I know he was previously interested. I may have mentioned it before but, the accuracy of his artwork is amazing.

Thanks for the update on the 747!

Cheers.
                                Last edited by Tino; 06Mar2019, 19:31.
                                Sante Sottile - CYVR

Comment

Whenever I updated the content I had to reinstall most of my Aerosoft sceneries and actually all sceneries (except ORBX!!) that were installed into the main P3D folder (simmarket for example or taxi2gate). It definitely makes sense to use the provided addons-folder, it's worth its size in gold.
                                  Marc Ehnle

Comment

If I already updated the client do I need to re-do that or just update the content?
                                    Alex Jevdic

Comment

Originally posted by Tino View Post

Hope John Tavers (Textures by Tavers) was able to reach out to you, on this new forum. I know he was previously interested. I may have mentioned it before but, the accuracy of his artwork is amazing.

Thanks for the update on the 747!

Cheers.
                                      Sante-

I emailed him on Tuesday. I haven't heard back yet- but John is well known to us and we too like his work!

Robert S. Randazzo
                                      PMDG Simulations

Comment

Originally posted by ANAflyer View Post
                                        If I already updated the client do I need to re-do that or just update the content?
                                        Alex,

If client is updated you need only the content to be updated.
                                        PMDG Technical Support

Comment

Hello,

I'm also a repainter and would like to know where can I find the livery painters forum to drop a flag ?

Never mind I'm didn't have my glasses on (apparently)

Cheers,
                                          Brandon
                                          Last edited by Blackbird971; 07Mar2019, 10:30.
                                          Brandon Promeneur
                                          Aka FSBlackestStar Textures

Comment

Just want to say congratulations on new forum

and the new update when it is released

cheers jeff
                                            Jeff storey

Comment

I found in previous versions of P3D, not updating "content" caused issues with the displaying of menus from 3rd party ATC applications. Their menus would not display correctly. So I agree, update "client" AND "content".
                                              Peter Webber

Prepar3D v4 / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Comment

I fail to understand why people would choose to only install parts of a release
                                                I wish that LM would produce an installer that installs all parts without option.
                                                Cheers, Richard

Comment

Originally posted by RichardMcDonaldWoods View Post
                                                  I wish that LM would produce an installer that installs all parts without option.
                                                  LM changed their installation method to make it convenient for those who didn't want to perform a full re-install. You can still download the full installer and perform a clean install. I've always used the client/content method without any issues so far. Less time consuming.
                                                  Peter Webber

Prepar3D v4 / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

Comment

Originally posted by cmakris View Post

Alex,

If client is updated you need only the content to be updated.
                                                    Thank you.
                                                    Alex Jevdic

Comment

Originally posted by RichardMcDonaldWoods View Post
                                                      Up until this point, I only ever updated the client. I never touched the content because I didn't see a point in doing so. A lot of it was either fixing or adding things to the default aircraft, which I was never going to use anyway, so why bother wasting my time. The other thing is doing a full installation would require me to take the time to uninstall all my add-ons, uninstall P3D, install P3D again, and then install all my add-ons again. Given the amount of time all that would take and given the very limited time I have at home (I'm an over-the-road truck driver, so I'm almost never home), I don't want my entire time at home spent tweaking things. I want to spend that time actually flying.
                                                      Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

Originally posted by Ephedrin View Post
                                                        Whenever I updated the content I had to reinstall most of my Aerosoft sceneries and actually all sceneries (except ORBX!!) that were installed into the main P3D folder (simmarket for example or taxi2gate). It definitely makes sense to use the provided addons-folder, it's worth its size in gold.
                                                        Interesting. That has never happened to me, but I made sure that all scenery was added via the XML method rather than adding only via the scenery.cfg file.

Best wishes!
                                                        Respectfully,

Comment

Originally posted by DaveCT2003 View Post

Interesting. That has never happened to me, but I made sure that all scenery was added via the XML method rather than adding only via the scenery.cfg file.

Best wishes!
                                                          Something else went wrong. I updated content and only step required was to delete the SITUATION in the [USERINTERFACE] section of prepar3d.cfg, to stop P3D from attempting to load my default scenario with the BE-58, and create a new default scenario with the Mooney Bravo (M20M).

Updating the content should not impact any installed sceneries or addon aircraft. In fact, all of Orbx is still in scenery.cfg so it's not a matter of using the xml method at all. The content includes the Scaleform feature so the menu screens that open within P3D for GSX or Active Sky will slightly change. Other than the unexpected impact on displaying wing and nacelle shinny leading edges, there is no other impact.
                                                          Dan Downs KCRP

Comment

Working...
                                                          X