Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

Multiple Occurrences - All PMDG Products removed from Programs and Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Occurrences - All PMDG Products removed from Programs and Features

Need Assistance:
    This has now occurred for the third time in recent months. Without uninstalling any products - nor updating P3DV4.5 - I find all my PMDG aircraft software are no longer installed in control panel Programs and Features. This just occurred after running PMDG Operations Center - which prompted me to update itself to a new version. After doing so, none of my PMDG software was visible in the Operations Center. I then check Windows 10 Programs and Features - and - once again - all PMDG aircraft are no longer "installed" to Programs and Features.

My other vendor provided aircraft is still present(Aerosoft).

All the software and aircraft are still present on disk. I will initiate the process of reinstalling all my PMDG aircraft - I own all the 747-400,747-8 expansion, 737base+expansion+ngxu, and 777base+extpansion variations, which I will now reinstall.

If anyone else has had this experience, please let me know what could be triggering this. I have not performed any hardware or software upgrades on my PC - as it is a DELL Alienware 17R5.

Michael DelFranco
    PMDG aircraft owner since - the Fly! days.

Originally posted by MDFMike View Post
    Need Assistance:
    This has now occurred for the third time in recent months. Without uninstalling any products - nor updating P3DV4.5 - I find all my PMDG aircraft software are no longer installed in control panel Programs and Features. This just occurred after running PMDG Operations Center - which prompted me to update itself to a new version. After doing so, none of my PMDG software was visible in the Operations Center. I then check Windows 10 Programs and Features - and - once again - all PMDG aircraft are no longer "installed" to Programs and Features.

All the software and aircraft are still present on disk. I will initiate the process of reinstalling all my PMDG aircraft - I own all the 747-400,747-8 expansion, 737base+expansion+ngxu, and 777base+extpansion variations, which I will now reinstall.

If anyone else has had this experience, please let me know what could be triggering this. I have not performed any hardware or software upgrades on my PC - as it is a DELL Alienware 17R5.

Michael DelFranco
    Some AV could shave off your files and also automatic cleaning software.Disable anything you have like it before reinstating and then disable the software.
    Danny Z.Cebis

Comment

• MDFMike
      MDFMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your response. I ensure that my P3D and other flight software folders are in the exclude lists for Norton and Malwarebytes. The last evidence of Norton and Malwarebytes quarantining software goes back to December of 2019. The last time I used PMDG was 737 NGXu on 1/20. The only software installed since then was an upgrade to my Citrix Workspace software, plus general maintenance to Microsoft Office Professional, Firefox, and Dell Support
      Assist.

Michael DelFranco
      Last edited by MDFMike; 01Feb2020, 06:40.

Originally posted by MDFMike View Post
    Need Assistance:

Michael DelFranco
    Dell Support Assist. Stop using it. It removes our registry entries from your computer registry and this causes the issue you see. This and CC cleaner are known to cause this issue. The only solution is to reinstall the products again.
    Chris Makris (Olympic260)
    PMDG Technical Support
    http://www.pmdg.com

Comment

Same thing happened to me tonight. Alienware update window popped up and did its thing. 2 new updates. One of which was an update for the BIOS. I was hesitant because I had read this thread when it started. But my OCD kicked in to keep this Aurora R9 updated. Went to start a flight, ran OC2 prior for a texture and guess what...blank. All PMDG files were present on my drive, but the BIOS update deleted the PMDG strings our of my registry. Damn. No big deal, re-downloaded all my PMDG products and all is good. Odd thing is all the PMDG products were still active prior to running the .exe's. So yeah folks, be careful when preforming an BIOS update, back up your reg first to save some time. Luckily I have a 400mg/sec internet so really did not take that long and OS2 took care of orphaned liveries and updates.

Brett Lucas

Proud PMDG owner since 2003

Comment

• GLC222
        GLC222 commented
        Editing a comment
        There is a support assist Dell forum and I have posted on this issue a couple of times but the Dell forum admin would not follow up on the topic. To make mattters worse even if I chose Support Assist to run manually it would still run auto and remove everything related to PMDG forcing reinstalls. Only solution I found is to set Support Assist to scan at 2am when my computer is turned off. Has not happened since.

Maybe if more PMDG Dell owners post on their Support Assist forum Dell might try to resolve this very specific problem

Gents,

I feel a compelling need to clean up this conversation with more specific language, so that future users of the search function will find information that is more accurate than some of the discussion above.

Dell Support Assist, CC Cleaner and other registry cleaning tools have a nasty habit of removing the registry entries for your PMDG products. Registry entries are a valid, microsoft approved method of allowing the operating system to have certain pieces of information about the software that is currently installed on a machine. Removing these registry entries can cause mayhem with your machine, especially if some "cleaner" is removing entries that serve a valid purpose for the product, such as one of ours.

There is nothing in any of these processes (including, the inaccurately reported earlier post in which upgrading the operations center "deleted all reference to the users PMDG products") that erases the product files themselves. What is happening instead is that the user is taking action with a registry cleaner tool, or a "helper tool" that is removing the registry entries and possibly the aircraft.cfg files.

Upgrading the operations center does not do this- as the oc upgrade process knows nothing of either registry entries or the aircraft.cfg files that serve as the spinal cord of the product.

The bottom line: be careful what yo udo with your machine. If you need a registry cleaner- your better alternative is probably to clean install windows and then stopp installing crap from every warez and freeware site you can find. :-)

Robert S. Randazzo
      PMDG Simulations
      http://www.pmdg.com

Comment

• MDFMike
        MDFMike commented
        Editing a comment
        In hindsight, I didn’t mean to imply that the Operations Center update caused the removal of PMDG registry. I should have worded the problem statement better, for example, that I detected the missing PMDG registry entries as a result of running the Operations Center.
        Although I never intentionally run the Alienware registry scanner, apparently, there are conditions which are implicitly triggering it.
        I will also pay closer attention before applying future BIOS upgrades, and if I find that the BIOS upgrade process results in a reoccurrence, I will open a support incident with DELL and request the ability to optionally bypass such processing. Also, I do not download freeware cleaners, never did. What I have came with the factory installation of the operating system and base Alienware software.

Regards,
        Michael DelFranco
        Last edited by MDFMike; 22Feb2020, 00:14.
    Working...
    X