Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

[26JAN20] Update Wednesday && Getting your Operations Center ready for upgrade...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[26JAN20] Update Wednesday && Getting your Operations Center ready for upgrade...

Captains,

On Wednesday, we are planning to push an update to the PMDG 737NGXu Base Package and simultaneously we anticipate releasing the first expansion package for the PMDG 737NGXu product line. This expansion package will include the 737-600 and 700 series airplanes as well as dozens of liveries available to you freely via the PMDG Operations Center 2.0.

With the entry into the new year, we are starting to realize the benefits of a few years of work that have been going on in the background. This work is designed to simplify the processes we use to track issues, implement fixes and push them to you. Software as complex as an airliner simulation is never really *finished* per se and about four years ago we started evaluating ways that we could move updates to you more quickly. Now that the machinery and software to drive those processes is completely in place, we are starting to adapt the business processes in order to add regularity to the release of updates.

During the course of 2020, you will notice far more frequent updates and the establishment of some "norms" that keep all of our actively-in-development products on a continual improvement program, rather than just an occasional update program.

It will take just about all of 2020 to normalize the developer behavior to support this- but I think the outcome is worth doing- especially as we get into releasing products for Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Our goal is to target Wednesdays as our scheduled update-push day. Once PMDG Global Flight Operations is fully operational, we anticipate you seeing some kind of product update weekly, whether it be for Global Flight Operations or one of our airliner simulations.

Operations Center 2.0 Global Rollout:
    On Wednesday we are planning to roll out the PMDG Operations Center 2.0 globally. Anyone who has purchased the PMDG 737NGXu product line already has OC2, but for those of you who have not yet purchased NGXu the rollout of OC2 will come to you via the normal Operations Center 1.0 update process.

PLEASE NOTE BECAUSE THIS IS IMPORTANT: In preparation for this changeover, please open the Operations Center 1.0 and uninstall all of the liveries that you installed from PMDG. (If you downloaded a livery from someplace else and installed it, you can just leave it... This uninstall order only applies to liveries you download directly from PMDG via the OC1.0)

Explanation: The Operations Center (both 1.0 and 2.0) tracks liveries based upon the livery's "title=" line in the aircraft.cfg. In preparation for the release of PMDG Global Flight Operations, we have changed the naming convention for all PMDG liveries (for reasons that will become more obvious when we release Global Flight Operations for your use!) This means that liveries you have installed via the original Operations Center may have a slight change of name when installed via Operations Center 2.0.

If you were to leave all of your PMDG-downloaded liveries in the OC1.0 and upgrade to OC2.0, they will continue to operate normally within the sim, but OC2.0 will not correctly indicate which liveries you have installed and which you do not have installed since OC2 won't recognize the "old OC1" names.

Confused? Don't worry. Even if you completely mess up- all of it can be fixed by manually uninstalling and reinstalling liveries once you get to OC2. You won't do any permanent damage to yourself.

So to recap a simple set of instructions:

1) Prior to updating to OC2.0, uninstall any liveries that you downloaded directly from PMDG.
    2) Update to OC2.
    3) Return to simming as normal.

Navdata/Flight-Director/New LNAV Update:
    I don't often give you updates on this topic, mostly because the progress is slower than poop moving through a turtle on a low fiber diet- but we continue to make progress here. The developer on the team who was designated to do the foundational work on this major centerpiece of our strategic product update process was our dear friend Michael who passed away unexpectedly during the summer. Due to workload on NGXu, it wasn't until later in the year that we were able to regain traction on this with a couple of other developers filling in the role.

The good news is that we are currently testing internally a version of NGXu that uses the new database format from Navigraph to replace all of the existing functionality that we get from the mashup of text files that Navigraph have produced for PMDG products since 2002. The next step is to expand beyond the existing functions and to start reading in all of the various procedural elements that didn't exist/weren't normally used twenty years ago- such as arc-to legs and the various elements of RNP procedures and advanced departure/arrival procedures. Once we have that step completed, we will use all of the new data to begin a complete rebuild of the processes that generate the magenta line/lateral flight path track... and then we are in the home stretch for a strategic upgrade that I have been pushing us to make for more than a decade.

Work continues. I will not make any estimates as to when you will see the results- but this will get pushed into all of the fleet types once we have it ready.

Everything Else:
    Currently we are working simultaneously on NGXu updates, an additional NGXu expansion pack (BBJs) and collecting data on the cargo variants. (If anyone works with them- give us a shout... we have some questions we are having a hard time finding answers for!)

We are prepping an update for the 747 product line for Prepar3D v4 users and I am hoping to hand that to testers in the week ahead. Additionally we are looking for a testing slot for an update to 777 for Prepar3D v4 users- so that shouldn't follow too far behind.

Okay- I think that is all I have for now... I hope you all are having a very nice weekend!

Robert S. Randazzo
    PMDG Simulations
    http://www.pmdg.com

Thank you!! I seriously cant wait for GFO!! That product has been on my brain since announced and I just cant get it off my mind. It's like my girlfriend. Just planted herself in my brain and my heart and well GFO is right behind her due to prioritizing reasons lmao
    Alex Kulak
    PMDG Studier and flyer
    Ramp Agent

Comment

Great news for the NGXu expansion, 747 and 777!
      Yesterday I did a short flight from CGN to STN (Yes it’s a real flight) with the 748F after weeks of NGXu flying and it’s always a pleasure to fly the queen (thanks to John for the awesome UPS livery). Thanks for your hard work.
      Regards from Cologne,
      Tobi

Comment

Hi Robert, thanks for the progress update.
        I feel that 2020 is going to be an exciting year for flight simulation considering GFO and FS2020, not forgetting the product updates for the NGXu and 777.
        Having been a proud supporter of PMDG for years now I'm pleased to see yet more improvements coming for my favourite aircraft.
        Nostalgia makes me remember playing flying games on my 128k Spectrum +2 back in the day. The dotted line down the middle was the centreline with two solid angled lines being the edges. Ground was solid green, sky was solid blue...that was it. Despite working in IT and seeing the constant pace of development I still sometimes struggle to believe just how far it has all come in 30 years. We are now capable of sitting at home and flying frighteningly complex simulations of aircraft with complete systems layouts and accuracy so good you can use the official owner's manual to fly it.
        I love our hobby and look forward to seeing what 2020 drops off in our hangar

Best wishes from Scotland,

Andy

Andrew Curry BAW867

Comment

Thank you Captain. Looking forward to flying th NGXu 700 Serie and awaiting patiently the GFO and the LNAV update
          Christian Mbeumo BAW1138

Comment

Alex,

You won't be disappointed- and GFO will have some advanced tools we roll out a bit after release that will help you complete those long flights without having to seem distracted while out with the girlfriend!

Andy,

You and me both. I think 2020 and 2021 are going to be the best years for simming ever. We have had 30 years of evolutionary change- but what is coming this year is revolutionary.

Robert S. Randazzo
            PMDG Simulations

Comment

Originally posted by rsrandazzo View Post
              Alex,

You won't be disappointed- and GFO will have some advanced tools we roll out a bit after release that will help you complete those long flights without having to seem distracted while out with the girlfriend!

Andy,

You and me both. I think 2020 and 2021 are going to be the best years for simming ever. We have had 30 years of evolutionary change- but what is coming this year is revolutionary.
              Yes, 2020 and 2021 will set a new benchmark in the flight simulation .
              Short question: shall we expect a kind of test period for the GFo (test before buy)? Just wondering what "grace period" does mean (see attachment)?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by VoyagerP3D; 26Jan2020, 09:56.
              Christian Mbeumo BAW1138

Comment

Hi Robert

Is it close enough now, (please don't shoot me), to ask what the 600-700 upgrade will cost.

Thank you.

Malcolm Hancock
                Malcolm "Rooster" Hancock

Comment

One point that O an confused is. I have the 737NGXu and Operations Center 2.0 now.
                  Do I need to update 2.0?
                  Do I need to delete and reload my liveries in the 747, 777 and 737?
                  Paul Gugliotta
                  United 257 heavy

Comment

Originally posted by Paulyg123 View Post
                    One point that O an confused is. I have the 737NGXu and Operations Center 2.0 now.
                    Do I need to update 2.0?
                    Do I need to delete and reload my liveries in the 747, 777 and 737?
                    if you are working everything with oc2 no actions will be needed. the actions Robert wrote is for those who are using oc1 or have liveries installed from oc1
                    Chris Makris (Olympic260)
                    PMDG Technical Support

Comment

Thank you for the LNAV update Robert!
                      Jordan Collins

Comment

Hi guys
                        daft question but how are we supposed to know which liveries we downloaded via the OC as I have hundreds of liveries

is there a way of telling
                        Stewart Cumbers

Comment

• Want2BFlyin
                          Want2BFlyin commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'm actually wondering the same thing.

Thanks for the update Robert, we hope you guys are having a great weekend too. It all sounds fantastic. I had moved away from simming with airliners the past few years to turboprops and GA, but now that I'm back into them with these updates and new versions, it's the only flying I do. Major kudos to the entire team for how far you've taken things.

slower than poop moving through a turtle on a low fiber diet
                        - As a technical measure of slowness it probably doesn't get more accurate than this.
                        Dan Morand
                        i7-7700k OC 4.8, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2

Comment

Have to echo Andy’s comment on the ability of today’s desktop simulators. It’s astounding and I get a dose of that at least once every couple of flights.

The OCD in me is a bit sad and dismayed that the Title= is going to be the key reference point. I like my titles a certain way, which makes it easier for me to find when scrolling through to set up a flight in P3D.
                          Matthew Glanden

Comment

• VHOJT
                            VHOJT commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I used to be the same. But then I gave up and just search by registration now.

Hello,

I have the NGXu and so i'am using OP2.
                          Can i delete OP1 safely, and if so, how to?
                          I can not find an uninstaller.
                          Is it safe to delete simply the whole c:\program files (x86)\PMDG Operations center - folder???

Thanks for your help.
                          William Vrielynck

Comment

I am going to opt out of the 737 expansion pack for the -600 and 700. I see no need in so many variants of the same plane. I hope the update for the 737NGXu is a separate update that can be downloaded without the purchase of the 737 expansion pack. Now if a MAX was offered, I'd be all in. (Gotta go, time to land my 747 on my favorite approach - KJFK VOR 13L)
                            Paul Gugliotta
                            United 257 heavy

Comment

• rsrandazzo
                              rsrandazzo commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Paul-

We have never forced you to purchase an update to a product you own. That would just be obscene... As *always* the update for the base package will be published via the Operations Center for owners of that product. - RSR

Originally posted by Paulyg123 View Post
                            I am going to opt out of the 737 expansion pack for the -600 and 700. I see no need in so many variants of the same plane. I hope the update for the 737NGXu is a separate update that can be downloaded without the purchase of the 737 expansion pack. Now if a MAX was offered, I'd be all in.
                            lol forgot about the airlines that do use those types?

Southwest, westjet, united, Gol, and others?
                            Alex Kulak
                            PMDG Studier and flyer
                            Ramp Agent

Comment

Hi Robert,
                              Great to hear the progress! I myself am a pilot in the BBJ! I understood that with the expansion package the BBJ will also be released. However now I understand it won't and you need more information? Can I kindly ask what you need? Hope to see the BBJ soon!

Have a nice Sunday!
                              Regards,
                              Frits

Comment

Originally posted by vpbjd View Post
                                Hi Robert,
                                Great to hear the progress! I myself am a pilot in the BBJ! I understood that with the expansion package the BBJ will also be released. However now I understand it won't and you need more information? Can I kindly ask what you need? Hope to see the BBJ soon!

Have a nice Sunday!
                                Regards,
                                Frits
                                Frits,

The 600/700 is an expansion package for the existing base package that includes the 800/900. We are now pivoting to an expansion package to include the BBJ series, and after that we are evaluating an expansion package to include freighter-modified versions. It has **always** been planned this way- so nothing changed here. (I think you were perhaps confused. )

Robert S. Randazzo
                                PMDG Simulations

Comment

Thank you for update.

Comment

Thank you Robert and all of PMDG developers for the great planes you've made! What about 747 updates for FSX:SE version? I know that developing for FSX is closed for future projects, but are you going to support this platform for current products? If not, can I use the new OC2 with my FSX products? FSX:SE is the main platform for me today, because most of the time I fly on my laptop.
                                    And the second question about PMDG Global Flight Operations and 747 for FSX. I found GLOBAL OPS CENTER section in FMS. Will FSX version of 747 support PMDG Global Flight Operations?
                                    Last edited by Endeavouring; 27Jan2020, 17:28.
                                    Vladyslav Kostiukov

Comment

Is it OK to go ahead and install liveries for the 777 and NGXu with the OC 2.0, then?
                                      Captain, SWA Virtual Airlines
                                      Real World C172 Pilot, AOPA #06034701

Comment

Thanks for the fresh news, Cpt.
                                        Ivan Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Headley View Post
                                          Hello,

I have the NGXu and so i'am using OP2.
                                          Can i delete OP1 safely, and if so, how to?
                                          I can not find an uninstaller.
                                          Is it safe to delete simply the whole c:\program files (x86)\PMDG Operations center - folder???

Thanks for your help.
                                          I’m also using OC2 since I bought the NGXu. I still use the NGX and have liveries that show in OC2. Do I need to remove them and do we remove OC1?
                                          Dan Moore

Comment

Reading some of the posts here i would say that support will be in demand more than usual.
                                            Danny Z.Cebis

Comment

Great news, and glad to hear about the 777 update... i really love that one....
                                              Raphael Chacón

PMDG #431793 #371950 #333135 #332876 #292207 #280217 #247845 #206809 #178218 #171813

Comment

Hi Robert,
                                                Thanks for the clarification!
                                                Looking forward to the 600/700 and BBJ thereafter.
                                                Best wishes,
                                                Frits

Comment

Awesome news Robert. GFO sounds awesome also if you need a tester here in Aus ive spent 100s if not 1000s of hours in the 777 PMDG long hauls.
                                                  QCaptain PMDG 737 777 747.Long Haul Short Haul Pilot.

Comment

thank you for update

Comment

PLEASE NOTE BECAUSE THIS IS IMPORTANT: In preparation for this changeover, please open the Operations Center 1.0 and uninstall all of the liveries that you installed from PMDG. (If you downloaded a livery from someplace else and installed it, you can just leave it... This uninstall order only applies to liveries you download directly from PMDG via the OC1.0)

I have allready the OC 2.0 working since the ngxu is released and it is working well.

What shoud i do, i have the 777 and the NGX installed in OC1 and OC2

Thank from EDDM

Frank Hoffmann

Comment

Working...
                                                      X