Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

[22DEC19] The genesis of a performance discussion...

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im getting better Frames! Robert

by the way Merry Christmas.
    Ro Faulk

Monitor ROG PG27U 4K 144HZ
    i9,9900K 5.0GHZ, 64GB RAM, SSD 2TB M.2 OS drive, Dual EVGA 2080Ti NVLinked GPU's, MSI, GODlike Z390 MB.

Comment

would love to know how to configure to get the best performance out of my setup though. Its a good machine!
      Ro Faulk

i9,9900K 5.0GHZ, 64GB RAM, SSD 2TB M.2 OS drive, Dual EVGA 2080Ti NVLinked GPU's, MSI, GODlike Z390 MB.

Comment

Very interesting discussion, Robert. Here is my question. I just bought a new, very powerful computer. I am thinking of dumping FSX, and moving to P3D4.5. However, it will be expensive, and I want to make sure that before I do it, PMDG will continue to support P3D, and not end support to move to MS 2020. Can you shed some light on this, Robert?
        Greg Goodavish
        PMDG 737,777, and 747 user

Comment

Thanks for the explanation - it alleviates a lot of frustration as I've spent A LOT of money on this hobby and I'm sure other's have too and when you're trying to get that decent landing and your sim is stuttering etc it's very annoying.

Patiently waiting for FS2020 and for simming to come into the 21st century.
          Peter Walsh.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Goodavish View Post
            Very interesting discussion, Robert. Here is my question. I just bought a new, very powerful computer. I am thinking of dumping FSX, and moving to P3D4.5. However, it will be expensive, and I want to make sure that before I do it, PMDG will continue to support P3D, and not end support to move to MS 2020. Can you shed some light on this, Robert?
            We're so close to FS2020 I'd just wait tbh. I changed over to P3D last year not knowing what was ahead and I've burned a bit of cash.
            Peter Walsh.

Comment

I've watched a few videos on how graphics APIs work, and it essentially said something like this:

CPU: Customer
              API: Waiter
              GPU: Cook
              Display: Putting cooked food on the plate and serving the customer.

Another analogy I've heard was the CPU is the boss, the GPU is the employee. An employee usually gets their orders from the boss, and thus can't do anything without being ordered by the boss first.

Is this a bad analogy?
              Last edited by magnetite; 04Jan2020, 03:05.
              Jeff Thomson

Comment

Hello All

Here is my secret inside the metal box parts rig: PS RM850x; CorSair water cooling activated in BIOS; GeForce GTX1080 Ti ; Intel i7-7700k CPU @4,20 GHZ; 63.93 GB RAM, 1T 960M.2Pro, 1T WD M.2 to handle ORBX run via symbolic link which make my m.2 pro with plenty of room for my PMDG addons display Samsung LC32F391FWNXZA with Game Mode On/OFF display resolution optimal 1920x1080 60hz motherboard is Asus maximus hero IX Republic of Gamers OC to 14 % and this machine handles all this Draw Calls and utilises GPU application programing Interface with all the components on this computer just fine. I guess is outdated now and no perfect but I enjoy my flight experience 100% so far so good. thank you Robert for this information

Regards,

Rolando Olmo
                Rolando Olmo

Comment

Originally posted by rsrandazzo View Post
                  Scene I7 6700K // GTX980 I9 9900K // GTX2080Ti Performance Delta
                  747-8 mid-day 34 62 82%
                  747-8 dusk 21 52 147%
                  747-8 night 30 58 93%
                  NGXu mid-day 30 53 76%
                  NGXu dusk 15 47 213%
                  NGXu night 25 50 100%
                  Hi Robert, it's interesting that with the best gaming CPU and top of the line GPU available to mankind, your system is only able to squeeze out 53 frames out of the NGXu. Abandon all hope ye who enter here!

(Just kidding of course... very nicely written. Thanks for sharing.)
                  Serge Saakov - KPVD
                  my YouTube page

Comment

Originally posted by serge_s View Post

Hi Robert, it's interesting that with the best gaming CPU and top of the line GPU available to mankind, your system is only able to squeeze out 53 frames out of the NGXu. Abandon all hope ye who enter here!

(Just kidding of course... very nicely written. Thanks for sharing.)
                    Those FPS numbers are only important to illustrate the performance delta between the 6700K and the 9900k. I think most people cap their FPS at something like 30 FPS and use the extra FPS headroom for power settings that matter to the individual, e.g. like more clouds, scenery etc. So I look at the graph and think to myself at 30 fps I can run 76% more graphics with the 9900K than the 6700K with NGXu at mid day ...and even 213% at dusk!
                    Ken Carlin

Comment

rsrandazzo I read the post and interested in seeing your performance increase. Do you think the stark numbers of 200% more down to the graphics card (retailing at around $1500usd) or from the processor?

Alex Ridge - LGW/EGKK LHR/EGLL

Comment

Originally posted by FunknNasty View Post

Those FPS numbers are only important to illustrate the performance delta between the 6700K and the 9900k. I think most people cap their FPS at something like 30 FPS and use the extra FPS headroom for power settings that matter to the individual, e.g. like more clouds, scenery etc. So I look at the graph and think to myself at 30 fps I can run 76% more graphics with the 9900K than the 6700K with NGXu at mid day ...and even 213% at dusk!
                        Ken, few things to consider...

A nickel is worth 400% more than a penny, but at the end of the day, it's still just a nickel. (EDIT: Don't get too hung up on the numbers.)

I don't know if the extra frames you save will give you additional graphics overhead; I have not seen any data or tests supporting this theory. It's an interesting interpretation however. But the real reason why the rate limiter exists in the first place is to set the refresh rate to match that of older monitors. If you have one of those 30 Hz monitors, then I suppose you may benefit from limiting your frames to 30. I know those monitors are about 10-15 years old now but many are still around and are being actively used. You would be hard-pressed to find one for sale today. Typical monitors you can buy today start with 60 Hz and go up from there, and forcing your frame rate to 30 FPS defeats the purpose and strips all benefits of having new hardware. I wouldn't recommend doing that. In addition, since the days of old software-imposed frame rate limiters, there have been some phenomenal engineering advancements in the hardware and software design running the modern CPUs, GPUs, and monitors, like the adaptive sync technologies for example (V-sync, Freesync for AMD hardware, and G-sync for Nvidia) with some of the monitors actually working in unison with the hardware to eliminate aberrations like screen tearing, stuttering, ghosting, and a wide malaise of other undesired side effects. I would recommend to embrace the new technology, and put those old application-imposed outdated solutions to rest.

The changes that Robert described were not only CPUs. If you look at his data table, you will note that he also changed from GTX980 to an GTX2080Ti (which I think he really meant RTX2080Ti). The latter GPU is the best there is for gaming, and there is nothing better available on the market today to produce the smoothest flying experience. In addition, he also has the undefeated king of FPS I9-9900K CPU. So, all in all, he has the best system available to man-kind. And with that, he is only able to eek out 53 frames at best, which is really very pathetic when compared to other gaming software these days. (PMDG, you know I am only saying this in the most affectionate way possible - but you know it's true.)

For what it's worth, I get about 50 frames out of my system on average. (AMD Ryzen 7-3700X CPU which is only about 25% utilized at full load, and an Nvidia RTX 2070 Super GPU, which is about 75% utilized at full load)

Thanks - Serge
                        Last edited by serge_s; 28Jan2020, 22:50.
                        Serge Saakov - KPVD
                        my YouTube page

Comment

Serge is correct,

Even with my system, I'm not getting more frames and I have dual EVGA FTW3 2080Ti's and a 9900K. Even with both GPUs running its nothing spectacular I'm afraid. note running @ 4K though! and even at 1440p its the same!

I'm hoping FS2020 will take full advantage of these hardware setups. I dropped xplane-11 because they do not support multiple GPUs. and with scenery add-ons, you can forget good frame rates.

P3d is an old dog that needs to go away and rest seriously.
                          Last edited by oblongmushroom; 28Jan2020, 19:36.
                          Ro Faulk

Comment

Hey, I Serge needs your help on flight planning bro!
                            chat soon
                            Ro Faulk

Comment

Correction to what I said earlier...

Move over Robert, Ro has you beat hands down; he has the best water-cooled dual 2080Ti super supreme system available to man-kind.
                              Serge Saakov - KPVD
                              my YouTube page

Comment

Originally posted by oblongmushroom View Post
                                P3d is an old dog that needs to go away and rest seriously.
                                Says who? Its a good sim with purpose. FS9 is old and needs to be put down... but some still hang on to it.

Michael Backes
                                ----------------------

Comment

Hi Serge-

Ken, few things to consider...

A nickel is worth 400% more than a penny, but at the end of the day, it's still just a nickel. (EDIT: Don't get too hung up on the numbers.)
                                  It's a game of inches ...sometimes that nickel is all that stands between a smooth landing and an immersion killing stutter or lag

I don't know if the extra frames you save will give you additional graphics overhead; I have not seen any data or tests supporting this theory.
                                  Load up your favorite PMDG aircraft at your favorite airport with default settings and then one by one start moving the options sliders to their right ....with the FPS counter enabled.

But the real reason why the rate limiter exists in the first place is to set the refresh rate to match that of older monitors. If you have one of those 30 Hz monitors, then I suppose you may benefit from limiting your frames to 30.
                                  I run my 1440P IPS monitor at 150Hz; I lock my FPS at 30 to save my GPU from meltdown and to allow my cpu a chance to load my requested scenery.

The changes that Robert described were not only CPUs. If you look at his data table, you will note that he also changed from GTX980 to an GTX2080Ti (which I think he really meant RTX2080Ti). The latter GPU is the best there is for gaming, and there is nothing better available on the market today to produce the smoothest flying experience. In addition, he also has the undefeated king of FPS I9-9900K CPU. So, all in all, he has the best system available to man-kind.
                                  Well, I think the 2080Ti coupled with the 9900K vs the 6700k and 980 is fair ....Again, I think Robert is just giving guidance on what one should expect with respect to performance capacity.

For what it's worth, I get about 50 frames out of my system on average. (AMD Ryzen 7-3700X CPU which is only about 25% utilized at full load, and an Nvidia RTX 2070 Super GPU, which is about 75% utilized at full load)
                                  I'll post a graph on what my system is doing in California as imagined by Orbx....but

I can tell you my hardware is fully utilized during my routine flights.

-Ken
                                  Ken Carlin

Comment

I don't know if the extra frames you save will give you additional graphics overhead; I have not seen any data or tests supporting this theory. It's an interesting interpretation however.

Thanks - Serge
                                    .....Now if one's base of operation is Heathrow then I'll sit down and refrain from comment. :-)

Ken Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by elmucki View Post

Says who? Its a good sim with purpose. FS9 is old and needs to be put down... but some still hang on to it.
                                      Yeah, I do get your point. Maybe I'm a bit too progressive in thoughts regarding moving onto new better technology. there is always a benefit

But yes, for now, P3d is where I can get the most performance and better addon aircraft like the MaddogX and PMDG Boeing lineups.
                                      Ro Faulk

Comment

yup, for now.
                                        Michael Backes
                                        ----------------------

Comment

Thank you for this article! It was very informative. I'm very excited about what the future holds for us simmers. Thanks for the insight!

Chuck Rogers

Comment

Oh the 737 certainly does use the video card. I figure with the same set of external lights I use with the 747 (same P3D environment) I'll burn about 25 more watts on the 1080Ti and use 500MB more VRAM with 737 vs the 747. The graphic was captured using 1440P.

Just plugged in the 737 ngxu tonite for a little loop around the bay; she look as good outside as she does inside and sounds as good as she looks.
                                            Ken Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by FunknNasty View Post

Oh the 737 certainly does use the video card. I figure with the same set of external lights I use with the 747 (same P3D environment) I'll burn about 25 more watts on the 1080Ti and use 500MB more VRAM with 737 vs the 747. The graphic was captured using 1440P.

Just plugged in the 737 ngxu tonite for a little loop around the bay; she look as good outside as she does inside and sounds as good as she looks.
                                              Nice Ken

I run a 9900k with your speeds on a 2080ti the second AMD Ryzen 3700X with my scond 2080Ti the spare one is a 8700k 1080Ti.
                                              I prefer the 9900k before the AMD
                                              I stick with the 9900k until we now how fs2020 reacts to hardware, my plan run SLI 2x2080ti now in p3d v4 no real benefit and lot of addons not support it.
                                              Cpu , really dont know what gone be the the king AMD or the Intel 1090k that seems to be a 9900k with 2 more cores and little stronger IMC OC gone be in pair with the 9900k or the binned one.

Comment

Originally posted by westman View Post

Nice Ken

I run a 9900k with your speeds on a 2080ti the second AMD Ryzen 3700X with my scond 2080Ti the spare one is a 8700k 1080Ti.
                                                I stick with the 9900k until we now how fs2020 reacts to hardware, my plan run SLI 2x2080ti now in p3d v4 no real benefit and lot of addons not support it.
                                                Cpu , really dont know what gone be the the king AMD or the Intel 1090k that seems to be a 9900k with 2 more cores and little stronger IMC OC gone be in pair with the 9900k or the binned one.
                                                Hi Westman! -thanks for chiming in.

One more pict ...really loving this plane

Lax to sfo ....smooth as silk (flown at 1440p)
                                                --Captured just a few minutes ago ....in some way I think the 737 performs better than the 747

Ken Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by westman View Post

Nice Ken

After talking to some dude who works at Nvidia I’m wondering if we’ll even need a video card in the near future. Silicon Valley is beginning to look like a micro chip ...or at the very least a very large motherboard.
                                                  Ken Carlin

Comment

Working...
                                                  X