Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

[23FEB19] Weekend Update: The Future of FSX and P3D v3 development and technical support. Also some PBR update information

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[23FEB19] Weekend Update: The Future of FSX and P3D v3 development and technical support. Also some PBR update information

Captains,

Welcome to the new PMDG forum system! (In 21 years of operation, we have never operated our own forum. Is it my imagination or does it smell like a new car in here?)

Since this is the beginning of a new era for PMDG I thought it might be appropriate to start out with a major announcement regarding the future development plans for PMDG products.

Let's get right to it:

PMDG to Cease Development of New Content for Microsoft Flight Simulator X & Microsoft Flight Simulator X - Steam Edition: As we prepare to entire our 22nd year in operation, PMDG will, effective immediately, focus our development efforts on platforms using 64bit architecture.

The FSX and FSX-SE platforms have served us very well since their respective debuts, but with rapidly declining customer adoption rates and increased complexity supporting these outdated platforms it is no longer considered to be economically viable and in fact slows our development process attempting to maintain compatibility across all off the platforms we have been supporting for the past four years.

Products currently on the market for these platforms will remain for sale, and will continue to be fully supported by PMDG as there are many tens of thousands of users still enjoying these platforms worldwide. We will not be bringing new products such as the NG3 to these platforms, choosing instead to focus on Prepar3D v4.4+ and possibly Prepar3D v5 and XPLANE in our future development endeavors.

To be more clear: Nothing here should cause any change for existing or new customers of our FSX product lines. We will continue to sell and fully support the existing FSX products lines, to include occasional product updates and bug fixes. This change means simply that no new product lines for FSX or FSX-SE will be introduced.

PMDG to Cease Development of New Content for Lockheed Martin Prepar3D v3: Concurrent with our decision to focus on 64bit platforms, PMDG will release no future titles compatible with Lockheed Martin's Prepar3D v3. This decision is being made in order to allow us to focus on the increased capabilities of the Prepar3D v4.4+ platform, as well as other x64 platforms such as Prepar3D v5 and/or XPLANE11+.

Products currently on the market for the P3D v3 platform will remain for sale and will continue to be fully supported by PMDG, but no new products will be introduced for the P3D v3 platform.

We are currently evaluating an End-of-Life option for our P3D v3 products due to extremely low adoption rates and the difficulty in maintaining compatibility as we update our products to take advantage of new features in the P3D v4 platform. More information on this topic will be forthcoming when a decision is made later in 2019.

PMDG 747 Queen of the Skies II Update Update Update We hit a code-side snag in the 747 product line that has the next update cycle in holding while we seek a solution. The issue is mine to solve, and unfortunately this week was a mess with other "stuff" on the agenda so I haven't had the time to dedicate to the research process. I'm working this weekend, so with some luck we I'll be able to sort out whatever-it-is-I-broke for the last test cycle, and we can hustle a new build to beta testing. I'll keep you posted...

(If you listen closely, you will likely hear me using profanity in a loud voice when I discover that after many hours searching, it was something simple... It happens sometimes. )

Okay- this wraps up the first formal announcement in the new forum. Oh- and since it will only be a matter of moments before one of the XPLANE Evangelists™ starts hopping up and down with angst since I haven't said anything specific about XPLANE... That was intentional. I have no information to share on that topic in this update except to say that we are lightening our load on the MSFS/P3D side of the house and that will eventually give me a bit more developmental freedom for a much needed overhaul of our XPLANE plans that have been collecting too much dust. When? I haven't the slightest clue- but as soon as I know- you'll know!

Happy Saturday, everyone!

Robert S. Randazzo
    PMDG Simulations
    http://www.pmdg.com

Thanks!

PS: is this the new update you said you'd post about on the AVSIM forum "in a few hours" or is there more to come?

Jordan Collins
    Jordan Collins

Comment

It always lights up my evening reading "[the updates]". Got 2 just this evening.
      Wishing everyone a fantastic weekend. and looking forward to the new forum.
      Onela Pivra
      ATPL (A) ME CFII, CPL (H)

Comment

thanks for the update.

Kind regards
        Mattias Nordgren
        Mattias Nordgren
        https://www.klm-va.nl/

Comment

Thanks for the update. And yes, it does smell like a new car in here

Best,

Arne Bergner

Comment

Brilliant news!

Comment

Thanks for the update! I'm looking forward to using this new forum
              Chris Ferguson

Comment

Originally posted by fakeflyer737 View Post
                Thanks!

PS: is this the new update you said you'd post about on the AVSIM forum "in a few hours" or is there more to come?

Jordan Collins
                Jordan,

Ah! Busted. I tapped out "in a few hours" and when I reached for the "post" button I thought maybe I should go and write the other one NOW... then forgot to remove the "in a few hours" piece.

Too many tasks, not enough brain cells.

Robert S. Randazzo
                PMDG Simulations

Comment

Mr. Randazzo, Congratualations with the new site and looking forward to many announcements on this site for updates and new releases
                  Have a nice workend....weekend
                  Peter Hougardy
                  The Netherlands

Comment

It will definitely be nice to see faster development now that 32-Bit platforms are out of the equation.
                    Brian McCumiskey

Specs: i9-9900K, RTX 2070, 16GB of RAM, P3D V4.5

Comment

Originally posted by rsrandazzo View Post
                      since it will only be a matter of moments before one of the XPLANE Evangelists™ starts hopping up and down with angst since I haven't said anything specific about XPLANE
                      LOL I am getting very tired of those!!

I will move to Xplane if and when I feel its relevant

Last edited by Windshear; 23Feb2019, 22:43.
                      Yours Truly
                      Boaz Fraizer

Comment

So the PMDG 747 QOTS II was the last product for FSX platform. FSX is so old. It was released 13 years ago and is very outdated. Prepar3D and XPLANE is the future.
                        David Szolovi

Comment

The new forum really looks nice and I absolutely love what you wrote about PMDG do develop into. modern development and all that stuff... great! And now that you have the time I look forward to the MD-11... xD Sry, someone had to bring it up here.

Robert, when I first tried to sign up here I got this:

forum pmdg.JPG
                          Browser was latest Chrome at 100% scale. No sign up button, I had to click on the cut forgot-password-thing and on that site I could display the whole window.

Cheers
                          Marc Ehnle

Comment

Guest commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Marc, just hit the tab key next time you get into the same situation. Had the same issue and that worked.

Marc,

I think the problem with your browser was that it anticipated your intent to sully our new forum with an MD-11 request.

Not sure what the issue might be there- I'll pass it along to the provider and see what they think.
                          Robert S. Randazzo
                          PMDG Simulations

Comment

Thanks for the update and congrats for the new forum! Can’t wait to see more XP news. And can’t wait to see NG3.

Best regards
                            José Francisco Ibáñez Moreno

i7 6700k @ 4,6Ghz // GTX 1080Ti // 16GB RAM // Windows 10 Pro x64

Comment

Thank you very much PMDG
                              Michael Boeck
                              " i7-6950X Rampage V Edition 10 HyperX DDR4 32GB RTX 2080 Duke OC LG-34UM95-P "

Comment

Thanks for the update, Rob!

My first post - to the first PMDG Forum announcement.

Where the heck is the dang forum 'signature' settings - LOL...

V/r,
                                Al Jordan
                                V/r,
                                Al Jordan
                                KMLB - Florida Space Coast

Comment

Just a perfect day 😘
                                  Thank you!
                                  Marcel van der Biezen
                                  Orange colored nutcase and a 777 addict

Comment

Originally posted by jordanal View Post
                                    Thanks for the update, Rob!

My first post - to the first PMDG Forum announcement.

Where the heck is the dang forum 'signature' settings - LOL...

V/r,
                                    Al Jordan
                                    Hi Al... it's not something that jumps out at you. Click the HELP link below and follow the account settings.
                                    Dan Downs KCRP

Comment

Looks really nice and fresh thank you

vieira12
                                      Duarte Vieira

Comment

New forum looks mighty fine, thanks!
                                        Mikael Leinonen EFHK

Comment

Looking good in here! Looking forward to the future!
                                          Sander Rutte

Comment

Thank you Robert.

Sylvester Archibald
                                            Sylvester Archibald

Comment

This is really nice to hear! Many people may use FSX and while it's great to support them with your product releases, it will definitely save time and money cutting development for it. I'm sure there will be many who are upset by this, but in my opinion, why would you still want to use FSX and it's 32-bit architecture these days? Also, I think the new forums looks fantastic and has a really clean look. That's a shame that you hit a snag with the 747 update as I can't wait to for it, but it happens sometimes. Hang in there. I'm sure you will find a fix soon.
                                              Antony Quinn

Comment

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you're moving on from the some ancient (FSX) 32bit platforms. That effort definitely better spent on new exciting technologies available in this decade.
                                                Cheers,
                                                Todd.

Comment

Great news and I’m very happy to be here!
                                                  Quick question: Since we are currently in a transition period, should I be monitoring the AVSIM forum for anything or is it safe to completely move over here?
                                                  James Ward

Comment

Any news on Rainmaker or the EFB for the 777?

Joona Väisänen
                                                    Joona Väisänen

Comment

Thanks for the updates. Couldn't agree more! The future is here.
                                                      Troy Krajancic

Comment

Robert,

Given what you just mentioned about FSX:SE, will GFO be available for it, though, upon it’s launch?
                                                        Ashwant Gonesh

Comment

Good News!
                                                          Thanks!!

Fernando Porto
                                                          Fernando Porto

Comment

Working...
                                                          X