Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

[29OCT22] Very Quick Weekend Update - Entropy Abounds

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[29OCT22] Very Quick Weekend Update - Entropy Abounds

Captains-

Long time patrons of the PMDG community know that when you stop hearing from us, it means we are busy- and that means lots of stuff pending for your enjoyment in the near future.

This remains true.

Things have been a bit chaotic around PMDG the past few weeks, with a higher-than-normal level of entropy creating some unexpected twists and turns in our development cycle. In case anyone thinks that is a bad thing, it isn't- we are really enjoying this moment as we are finally seeing the end-goal pieces drop into place in lots of different areas of the 737 product line.

We have been at work on some complex changes to the 737 core logic and with the arrival of the SU11 beta we saw some significant pending changes in the MSFS platform- so we opted to keep half the dev team working with the stable market release of SU10 in order to facilitate testing, while the other half work with the new beta drop for SU11. We did this in order to keep forward progress on the PMDG Universal Flight Tablet, some core functions of the 737 and the pending 737-900, while also also preparing to ensure forward compatibility with the pending update to the MSFS platform.

SU11 is the first platform change we have worked with that has some evolutionary changes that require product level changes on our end in order to keep customers flying during the transition- so we have been working through those, while also exploring some of the pending changes that SU11 brings in order to map out a strategy for continued product growth and capitalizing on the improvements Asobo continues to make to the platform.

This sounds really dry- and in some regards it is- but it also represents a true "first" for all of us at PMDG. Most of our development careers have been spent working on dead platforms or slow-change platforms that didn't require much planning or thought to get through update cycles. With MSFS, some of the things that we asked of Asobo a year ago with the DC-6 and then with the 737 development process are finally coming through the pipeline- and it is great fun to step backward, make changes to improve functionality and see the benefits of having Asobo as involved with the developer community as they are. Over the long run, this will be great fun- but it does also increase our workload quite a bit so we are adapting to change the way we manage product development in concert with this momentum.

New Update Just Handed To The Beta Team:
    Just this moment we have pushed into testing a product-wide update that will improve cross-compatibility between SU11 and SU10 for the 737. This will eliminate some nuisance issues that have been disruptive for SU11 Beta users- which should improve testing feedback to Asobo from 737 users overall. This new build also includes the usual smattering of small fixes and cleanup details, but the *big* change is that this pending update brings a significant improvement in stability of the flight director in both roll and pitch, while also improving control logic for the yaw and thrust channels. This leads to greater realism in all phases of flight as our F/D and aircraft control law are now able to work with the aggressive dynamics of the MSFS atmosphere while still delivering a realistic flying experience for the user. We have effectively eliminated the "fight" between the thrust channel and the pitch channel that resulted from pitch coupling as the thrust channel worked to keep speed in an overly dynamic environment. This represents a huge amount of work that has taken most of the summer, but we are really happy with the change.

Once our beta team has had a chance to sign off on these changes, we will roll them out to you in the form of a micro update. We anticipate that will happen in the first half of the coming week.

PMDG Universal Tablet Is Next In Testing:
    We continue to work on some core technology with our pending tablet, as detailed previously. The tablet has been under internal testing over the past six weeks or so and once the beta team signs off on the new product build we give them today, we anticipate handing them the tablet enabled build so that they can start evaluating that new piece of kit for eventual release.

I *am* planning an update focused solely on the PMDG Universal Flight Tablet but at the request of the dev team working on the device- I have held off doing so until it gets through it's transition into beta testing- as the dev team rightfully wants to keep the focus on functionality and not have to rush through a layout cleanup just to create pretty pictures for a preview.

A couple of important points related to the tablet- since there is quite a bit of misinformation running around:
    • Tablet is not linked to release of the 900 and never has been linked to release of the 900. Tablet releases as an update to the whole product line when it is ready.
    • Tablet is not a "release and be done" feature, it is something that will grow and change with the release of additional updates. Initial dev work was focused on navigraph charts integration and simbrief integration. These functions are about to transition from internal to external testing and the dev team is shifting focus to finishing up other tasks such as operational performance, product settings, product options and some other stuff we haven't mentioned yet.
    PMDG 737-900 is a long airplane that came out on the short end of the stick:
    With so much focus on maturing the pitch/roll/thrust behaviors of the 737, SU10/SU11 and Tablet- the 900 has languished a bit- and I apologize for that. Right now we are deep at work on the flight models and performance behaviors for the 900 and 900ER- and right now if I squint a bit and tilt my head to the side it looks as though we will hand the 900 series to our beta testers within two weeks. One word of caution in that I thought the same thing three weeks ago- so please do understand that this is guesswork... Based upon our experience with the other 737s in testing, I don't expect the 900s will remain in testing long- so there is some positive news there.

PMDG 737s in MSFS Marketplace:
    They day the SU11 beta dropped, I was in the process of creating the builds we would send to MSFS Marketplace- and in a moment of very poor planning I forgot to disable the beta intake. It created quite a bit of chaos in the build process, resulting in re-installation of MSFS (always fun!) which then immediately updated itself to SU11 because... yes... dummy forgot to delete the beta tag from his steam account before reinstalling.

While I continued to thoroughly entertain the team with my ability to aggressively disrupt my own workflow (contrary to what they might tell you, there was no profanity. Okay maybe a little. Alright- I succeeded in stringing together a Guiness Book of World Records winning sentence using only profanity ) we decided it might be advantageous to Marketplace users if we ensured the 737 would survive the SU11 transition smoothly before pushing it to Marketplace.

We are now hoping to make that push next week...

What Else is Going On?:
    The fun meter at PMDG is definitely on max. We have lots going on- and we really enjoying the challenges now that we have a solid and stable product line from which we have been learning. The 777 is beginning to accelerate nicely and to say it looks spectacular would be a mild understatement. I am not prepared to give you too much information on that yet because we are still making some interesting decisions about the product release flow and how that will all work- but suffice to say that our experience with the 737 line is coming to play here and things are going well.

Okay- so that the current state of things this week... I'll see you later this week with the latest updates for the 737 and I'll let you know for certain the Tablet has finally gotten into the hands of the testers.

Have some fun flying this weekend!
    Last edited by Reynolds Number; 02Nov2022, 05:44.
    Robert S. Randazzo
    PMDG Simulations
    http://www.pmdg.com

Originally posted by rsrandazzo View Post
    The 777 is beginning to accelerate nicely and to say it looks spectacular would be a mild understatement. I am not prepared to give you too much information on that yet because we are still making some interesting decisions about the product release flow and how that will all work- but suffice to say that our experience with the 737 line is coming to play here and things are going well.

Yikes... Thank you for the update Mr. Randazzo but this is what interests me the most!!! I am looking forward to more information on the 777 and 747! 👍
    Pablo Vazquez
    Flight Attendant for a major US airline

Comment

• rsrandazzo
      rsrandazzo commented
      Editing a comment
      Pablo- These cute little twins are nothing but distraction. It is the 744 I'm waiting on. :-) - RSR

• Pablo Vazquez
      Pablo Vazquez commented
      Editing a comment
      As you can see in my signature. That's the one I am also waiting on.. The mighty 744 :-)

Thank you for the update, sounds like some goodies coming up. I've been looking at the aircraft I want to bring into my fleet, I've settled on N777AS for the 777, but sadly I couldn't find a private B744 so I'm now planning on using a B748 A7-HBJ - unless I find a suitable B744 that is
    Joe Colehouse

Comment

• EasternT3
      EasternT3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you.

• Hilly32
      Hilly32 commented
      Editing a comment
      You're welcome. I fly A7-HBJ myself too.

• HansRoaming
      HansRoaming commented
      Editing a comment
      BBJs are the only things to fly.

Robert, shouldn’t the “m” in max be capitalized?
    Gert A. Barring.

Comment

• Pompey Royal
      Pompey Royal commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking that... great minds think alike (Usually)...

Tks for the update! Really waiting the release to the Tablet and more news about B777
    Pedro H. Gomes

Intel Core i9-9900K @ 4.8 | ASUS KO RTX 3070 | 32GB RAM DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000 Mhz | 3x 23,8" ASUS VP249QGR

Comment

Robert.Thankyou for the information and the update looking forward to it.
      Danny Z.Cebis

Comment

This new build also includes the usual smattering of small fixes and cleanup details, but the *big* change is that this pending update brings a significant improvement in stability of the flight director in both roll and pitch, while also improving control logic for the yaw and thrust channels. This leads to greater realism in all phases of flight as our F/D and aircraft control law are now able to work with the aggressive dynamics of the MSFS atmosphere while still delivering a realistic flying experience for the user. We have effectively eliminated the "fight" between the thrust channel and the pitch channel that resulted from pitch coupling as the thrust channel worked to keep speed in an overly dynamic environment
        Excellent. This is one of the things that turns me off of MSFS compared to X-Plane and the Zibo mod.

If you guys manage to deal effectively with the exaggerated aspects of the atmospheric modeling in MSFS, that's going to be huge.
        Tom Clarkson

Comment

So happy to see the updates. Highly excited for the 777. Take your time to get it right though, as you always have. All the best.
          Thomas Allensworth,
          KCRQ
          Carlsbad
          Cessna 310R and PMDG enjoyer

Comment

Regarding the aggressive dynamics of the MSFS atmosphere. Is this something that Microsoft will be taming in upcoming releases resulting in a fun game of "you fix it, they fix it, you unfix it"? Or will the adjustments work in a calmer/normal environment as well?
            Last edited by jcoops; 30Oct2022, 00:47.
            Jeff Cupido

Comment

• EMV
              EMV commented
              Editing a comment
              I believe it will work in all cases. Yeah nice game this fix, refix, and re-refix. Takes a heck of a lot of time to do one control system.

Vangelis

• Want2BFlyin
              Want2BFlyin commented
              Editing a comment
              Reminds me of when I was working for a video game developer a few years back. There was a specific system that was in place that was broken and had been broken pretty much since it was released. When it was eventually fixed, it ignited a firestorm of extremely loud protests from folks who had somehow found a way to use it in its broken state and were now insisting (demanding, really) that we "fix" it again.

• MattS
              MattS commented
              Editing a comment
              Want2BFlyin sounds like the ground handling in IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad lol

Thanks for the update. That's good to see this information.
            Daniel Regueira

Comment

Thanks for the update, Robert. Very much looking forward to the 777.
              Paul Kirkland

Comment

Originally posted by rsrandazzo View Post
                [*]Tablet is not a "release and be done" feature, it is something that will grow and change with the release of additional updates. Initial dev work was focused on navigraph charts integration and simbrief integration. These functions are about to transition from internal to external testing and the dev team is shifting focus to finishing up other tasks such as operational performance, product settings, product options and some other stuff we haven't mentioned
                It sounds like the initial release to users will include charts and SimBrief, with the rest, like performance calcs, to come later. Am I reading that right?
                Alex Pugh

Comment

Steven Silva​

Comment

Hi Rob!

Thank you so much for the much awaited update. You have bad accustomed me, waiting for that update post by the weekend... When there's no update post, it feels rather strange...

I do really hope that part of the core logic change, would include the speed tape and therefore MMS and Stall speeds, which are wrongly displayed and considered, ever since the latest NGX update and since the release of NGXu, and NG3 as a consequence. (Ticket submitted and discussed in many posts, such as this one: https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-fo...del-inaccurate
                    image.png
                    Warm regards and Great week for all!

Rafael A. Reca
                    Buenos Aires, Argentina
                    Last edited by BAIRES; 30Oct2022, 05:19.
                    Rafael A. Reca
                    Buenos Aires, Argentina

Comment

This news does produce an element of excitement regarding the tug of war between pitch/roll and thrust. Perhaps this is the reason updated navdata 2.0 is kind of hiding out. Waiting for a more stable environment in order to show it off. Makes sense. Exciting times....
                      Greg Roby Skymusic57

Comment

Thanks for the update! Promising times for the 737. Can’t wait to see the EFB.
                        José Francisco Ibáñez Moreno 🇪🇸

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X // MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi // 32GB 3600Mhz RAM // XFX Merc319 AMD Radeon RX6800 XT 16GB // Windows 11

Comment

Can’t beat a morning read, cuppa in hand ☕️ on an autumnal Sunday in the UK. Cheers Mr R 👍
                          Paul Richards

Comment

Great update. Thank you very much. Looking forward to the Tablet along with the -900 and 777.
                            Harry Nelson
                            Dell XPS 12Gen i7-12700k (12core 25mb Cache 3.7 to 5.0Ghz), 16GB DDR5 4400Mhz RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 12GB LHR, 2TB M.2 NVME SSD + 2TB SATA 7200RPM HDD, 750W PS

Comment

Thanks for the update. The EFB will be a nice completement although I use Navigraph on my 2nd screen anyway lol. Looking forward to the end of the distractions ^^
                              Ryzen 9 5900X, RX 6900XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM @3600MHz, 4k
                              Marc Eland
                              GFO Beta

Comment

Looking forward to the -900 for my ASA flights. Who doesn't want to use all of the runway they paid for :-P
                                Tablet will be nice to have if/when it includes the perf calculator.

Really curious about the F/D and thrust/pitch updates. Last update was a huge improvement already.
                                Itamar Mazor

Comment

Thanks for the update RSR. Of course, you ever need an additional tester, you know who's interested.... me! lol

Seriously, I am dreaming (truly) of the 777 and I can't wait to purchase. Hope it comes sooner rather than later. Great job PMDG.

Jeff Soule

Comment

Great news Capt Randazzo! The tablet will bring more realistic experience thru the whole PMDG product line! I enjoyed a lot this EFB in P3D. Hope to see improvement in all other areas most seen for me is the pushback and cockpit lighting. I also want to hear some update on the MAX line Keep up with this great job you are doing, and it will take you away from the MSFS's entropy vs the great metaverse design far superior to MSFS's and seeing great simulation as you always figure it out no matter what. Success at PMDG have been here for a long time-) RO
                                    Rolando Olmo

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo Vazquez View Post

Yikes... Thank you for the update Mr. Randazzo but this is what interests me the most!!! I am looking forward to more information on the 777 and 747! 👍
                                      747..nuff said!

Xavier Thomas

Comment

• Pablo Vazquez
                                        Pablo Vazquez commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        Ohhh... Yeah. That’s the one I am really excited about so I can move to MSFS already. 😁😁
                                        Last edited by Pablo Vazquez; 30Oct2022, 22:33.

"some of the things that we asked of Asobo a year ago with the DC-6 and then with the 737 development process are finally coming through the pipeline"

Do these changes now make it possible to adjust the clock and MCP digit brightness - or is it a surprise? 😀
                                      Charles Vomacka

Comment

I hope the big SU11 update will bring some improvements to the external animation fluidity. All the best : )

Alshir. A
                                        Alshir. A

Comment

Fixes + EFB + 777 -- I hope that's what I'll find under my Christmas tree.
                                          Sincerely,

Wojtek Pietrusiewicz

Comment

• bomberpj
                                            bomberpj commented
                                            Editing a comment
                                            2 out of 3 won't be bad

• Mad_X
                                            Mad_X commented
                                            Editing a comment
                                            you will not see a 777 under your tree and I promise you mot for easter either.

Thanks for the update. I am looking forward to the updates.
                                          Paul Gugliotta
                                          13900K CPU - 4090 GPU

Comment

I wonder if the new flight director update has anything to do with future RF capabilities.
                                            Jordan Collins

Comment

Great update Robert, I love your sense of humour.........."no profanities...........ok maybe a few." I split my sides laughing at that one. If you ever write an auto biography, I want the first copy, signed of course. ............ keep the juices flowing and let lady luck shine down on your endeavours. Laughter is the best medicine on earth.
                                            Eddie Zetlein, Surrey.

Comment

• rsrandazzo
                                              rsrandazzo commented
                                              Editing a comment
                                              Thanks, Eddie! I love to laugh- and I'm always glad to share a good laugh too. Even if it originates with my own mistakes. :-) -RSR

Thank you for the updates Robert, can't wait for the 77 and the 900!

*inserts shut up and take my money meme" =)
                                            Amir Khanevadegi

Comment

Working...
                                            X