Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

Pause at TOD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pause at TOD

Hello:

Would PMDG please re-work the pause at TOD function? It is a crucial part of my ability to sim given other life obligations. Using pause at TOD, fuel continues to be consumed and when un-paused, the airplane (737) sometimes enters into uncontrollable and unrecoverable flight. Maybe a quick exchange with Fenix (DEV of the A320) could provide aid.

Thanks,

Aaron Ortega
    Aaron Ortega

If you would have searched this, you would already know that this is an ASOBO issue and references to Fenix are not valid because their plane is not "in the sim". I don't know if their ToD works because I don't use it ever, but if it does it is because the Fenix is a Simavionics (I think) program running on your desktop not in the simulator. No one has a ToD solution inside the sim because there is no true pause inside the sim.
    Mark "Crabby" Crabtree AAL311 | PHL
    I7-9700KF | 2070 Super | Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo | MFG Crosswind

Comment

• Peter Clark
      Peter Clark commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s not necessarily a platform problem. FlyByWire has a fully working pause at TOD and they are self contained with WASM too.

• Crabby
      Crabby commented
      Editing a comment
      It is 100% a platform problem. Did you read the development chatter about the FBW TOD? They implemented a work-around not a solution. NONE of the in sim pause options actually pause time. https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t...the-sim/143817

This is a MSFS irritation not PMDG... why in the world Asobo choose to do it his way is beyond me. Because of this, I fly a whole lot less that I want to!!
    Brian Murphy FSX- 747-400 / MD-11 / MSFS DC-6/ 737-700

Comment

I've used the "esc" ( the 4 window pop-up) pause for hours at a time with no time passed or fuel used. I wonder if PMDG could toggle that key for the TOD

Comment

Originally posted by TH454 View Post
        I've used the "esc" ( the 4 window pop-up) pause for hours at a time with no time passed or fuel used. I wonder if PMDG could toggle that key for the TOD
        Not sure how you're doing that. That does not work for any add-ons I've ever used. I also causes flight issues when resuming, particularly after an extended period as the OP indicated.
        Matthew Glanden

Comment

Originally posted by mglan80 View Post

Not sure how you're doing that. That does not work for any add-ons I've ever used. I also causes flight issues when resuming, particularly after an extended period as the OP indicated.
          I believe he's referring to pressing esc, clicking the Load/Save button, then click Open from PC and when that Windows modal box appears (the one that you have to pick a file from), you leave the sim in that state and it will not burn fuel....I have used this successfully on the 737...but it can't be programmed into the pause at TOD function (nor would we want it as its a complete work around from Asobo's total failure to code the pause button properly).

Once (if) Asobo ever fixes it, all planes in pause will not siphon fuel out of the tanks until empty if you happen to walk away from the PC for a while.

A completely cludgy way to have a plane with fuel in it when you have pause at TOD on and walk away for an extended time is to estimate how long you'll be gone, and add extra fuel to cover that fuel burn. Not great, but neither is a multi-ton airliner that has been turned into a glider.
          Regards, Steve Dra
          Click here to download my P3D, FSX, 2004 paints at Avsim
          Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here

Comment

• mglan80
            mglan80 commented
            Editing a comment
            Cool! Didn't realize that.

• DDowns
            DDowns commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup, works for me as well. Before leaving computer and expecting a TOD pause, first note the TOD ETA and expected fuel on board. Make mental note of it and when back on board adjust as required.

What I wonder from a PMDG standpoint is that the plane fueling is handled by the FMC and the PMDG software, so would it be possible for the software to take note of the fuel quantity when pause at TOD engages and then restore those values when the flight is resumed? A way of working around the wacky ASOBO version of what 'pause' means.
          Regards,

Bob Quick

Comment

To expand on what I posted earlier.

For short periods of time I use the "ESC" pause and never had any problem with fuel burn, passing of time or control issues after un-pausing. This is for any plane that I happen to be flying.

I have been doing this for the last 10 months that I have been using MSFS.

If I know I will be away for an extended time, I'll do the ESC > Load/save > From this PC . (After doing that take a look at the task manager, the Flightsimulater.exe usage will drop to almost 0%)

I agree that this pause thing is FUBAR, but if PMDG could toggle the ESC key for TOD it would give us a workaround until something better comes along.

Just to be clear, I am using the default keyboard in controls. MENU > TOGGLE PAUSE >ESC

​ ​
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by TH454 View Post
              To expand on what I posted earlier.

For short periods of time I use the "ESC" pause and never had any problem with fuel burn, passing of time or control issues after un-pausing. This is for any plane that I happen to be flying.

I have been doing this for the last 10 months that I have been using MSFS.

If I know I will be away for an extended time, I'll do the ESC > Load/save > From this PC . (After doing that take a look at the task manager, the Flightsimulater.exe usage will drop to almost 0%)

I agree that this pause thing is FUBAR, but if PMDG could toggle the ESC key for TOD it would give us a workaround until something better comes along.

Just to be clear, I am using the default keyboard in controls. MENU > TOGGLE PAUSE >ESC

​ ​
              You seem to be the only one seeing it work this way. As you may recall we have discussed this before and I tried everything you recommended but I have always seen fuel burn and time pass. It seems everyone else does too so there has to be some other difference. I’ve used the load/save thing but it seems like my brakes tend to get hotter and hotter and I eventually have tire failure when I do it for long periods of time.
              Tom Landry

Comment

(Guide updated 15 September 2020 with permission of OP) You have perhaps heard that MSFS has an active pause feature but what about the traditional FSX style regular pause? There are three kinds of pauses: Active pause (default key: PAUSE): this freezes the plane but everything else goes on… which may end in disaster quickly: only use this when in level flight and to make a small adjustment to something (which may be hard to do while flying). It is not advised for taking screenshots or usin...
                Mark "Crabby" Crabtree AAL311 | PHL
                I7-9700KF | 2070 Super | Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo | MFG Crosswind

Comment

• mglan80
                  mglan80 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That "set Pause" suggestion absolutely does not work for me. I can sit in the A30neo and watch the seconds tick by with the pause set on. None of the animations work, but the plane is still reacting to my commands. It's so bizarre that different people seem to have different effects.

Originally posted by Ralgh View Post

You seem to be the only one seeing it work this way. As you may recall we have discussed this before and I tried everything you recommended but I have always seen fuel burn and time pass. It seems everyone else does too so there has to be some other difference. I’ve used the load/save thing but it seems like my brakes tend to get hotter and hotter and I eventually have tire failure when I do it for long periods of time.
                I don't know what is different then, but the way I have described, is the way it works on my system..
                When you do the load/save, in the task manager, does your FlightSimulator.exe go to 0%?

Comment

I have also successfully hit the "Esc" key to pause and it does not burn fuel. I've also put my PC to sleep if I plan to leave for awhile (a few hours or more) and it has responded perfectly upon waking up. Don't know what else I can say but it has worked for me multiple times.
                  Daniel Anziano

Comment

• TH454
                    TH454 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Glad I'm not the only one that can do this. Are you on the Steam version Daniel ?
                    Last edited by TH454; 26Oct2022, 21:00.

I thought I would add a couple of screenshots to show what I see on my system.
                  Win 10 PRO
                  MSFS-Steam

PMDG -700BBJ
                  SS-1 was taken at 10:17 local.
                  SS-2 I hit the ESC key right after that.
                  SS-3 was taken 32 minutes later at 10:49.

The very slight difference between the two, was me messing around and having to do a second SS because I didn't have the task bar up for the time stamp.

For all practical purposes they are the same.

As I said, time stops, fuel total doesn't change, no control problems after resuming and my VA ACARS stops updating position and logs the pause.
                  If this is some kind of a bug, then it's been on my system since 1/19/2022 (19/1/2022) and I don't want anyone fixing it.

1017-1.png

ESC-2.png

1049-3.png

Comment

• mglan80
                    mglan80 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Steam version?

• TH454
                    TH454 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Whatever the latest steam SU10 is.

• mglan80
                    mglan80 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That is so completely baffling to me. I can position the camera so I can see the fuel when I pause and go to the menu screen like you have and literally see the fuel ticking down. Same with DC-6. Just so, so odd.

Yes on Steam version for me too.
                  Daniel Anziano

Comment

I

Abandon all hope wheels of progress turn very slowly at 1 MS drive

image.png
                    Aleks Matrosov

Comment

Hey what so no pause at T/D and no EFB? What else is missing? Auto step climbs missing too? I was half n half in getting it when the EFB releases but now?
                      Last edited by VBHB; 28Oct2022, 09:10.
                      Peter Walsh.

Comment

Originally posted by VBHB View Post
                        Hey what so no pause at T/D and no EFB? What else is missing? Auto step climbs missing too? I was half n half in getting it when the EFB releases but now?
                        The pause at TOD is there, but unfortunately doesn't work the way it's intended to because MSFS's pause function merely pauses the position of the plane rather than the entire simulator, so the plane still burns fuel whilst paused. As for the EFB, it's not really an EFB, but rather a tablet. In any event, that's still a work in progress. As for auto step-climb, the 737 doesn't have it because the FMC doesn't even give you an option to step climb, you can only enter in one altitude at a time as far as I recall. On the 747 and 777, you could enter in the step size, so the FMC would know at what increments you want the plane to climb at, say 2,000 feet, and the auto step-climb could handle that accordingly. This doesn't exist on the 737, so it wouldn't have any way of knowing what you want since it obviously can't read your mind. In any event, unless you are flying the BBJ on a very long flight, chances are the flights are short enough that you would probably only step climb one time anyway.
                        Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamflight767 View Post
                          Hello:

Would PMDG please re-work the pause at TOD function? It is a crucial part of my ability to sim given other life obligations. Using pause at TOD, fuel continues to be consumed and when un-paused, the airplane (737) sometimes enters into uncontrollable and unrecoverable flight. Maybe a quick exchange with Fenix (DEV of the A320) could provide aid.

Thanks,

Aaron Ortega
                          Aaron-

A number of folks have pointed out various forms of "it is an Asobo thing not a PMDG thing" but I want to correct the discussion here:

For C++/WASM products- the communication needed from the sim to say "hey- I'm paused!" was broken in the initial release of MSFS. We flagged this to Asobo back in March of 2021 and then again in September of that year and it was added to their workflow. In the pending SU11 update, we see notations indicating that this has been fixed- and one of the devs at Asobo reached out to us specifically on this topic to be sure we saw that the fix was coming.

The SDK functionality for SU11 is still not quite usable (it won't actually allow us to build products yet- oops?) but once a functional SU11 SDK becomes stable we will alter a few lines of code and this little gem of a problem will fade into memory for everyone.

I hope that clarifies it for everyone. Thanks for bringing it up, Aaron!

Robert S. Randazzo
                          PMDG Simulations
                          http://www.pmdg.com

Comment

• rquick
                            rquick commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Great news! Fingers crossed.

Thanks Robert, I very much appreciate the timely update. This is quite a nuisance to us casual users. Cheers!
                          V/r,
                          Al Jordan | KCAE
                          Simming Since: Sublogic - Flight Assignment: A.T.P.

Comment

That is some fantastic news! Didn't know how I was going to justify buying the 777 or 747 when I couldn't pause the sim. Such a simple thing!
                            Matthew Glanden

Comment

• rsrandazzo
                              rsrandazzo commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Matthew- I know, right? Can you imagine? AHAHAHAHA - RSR

From initial testing with the SU11 update and the PMDG 737, I still have the same "pause" symptoms.

The PMDG built-in pause at the TOD and external auto-pause utilities (WideFS or Simconnect) still leave time advancing and fuel-burndown. Time was observed using the PMDG 737 chronograph function.

Having the internal MSFS pause assignments set to default, the 'ESC' key menu remains the only way to pause the sim, which obviously still can't be scheduled or automated.
                            V/r,
                            Al Jordan | KCAE

Comment

• Crabby
                              Crabby commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yep, still an Asobo issue.

Originally posted by jordanal View Post
                            From initial testing with the SU11 update and the PMDG 737, I still have the same "pause" symptoms.

The PMDG built-in pause at the TOD and external auto-pause utilities (WideFS or Simconnect) still leave time advancing and fuel-burndown. Time was observed using the PMDG 737 chronograph function.

Having the internal MSFS pause assignments set to default, the 'ESC' key menu remains the only way to pause the sim, which obviously still can't be scheduled or automated.
                            Take a look a few posts up at #18:

"The SDK functionality for SU11 is still not quite usable (it won't actually allow us to build products yet- oops?) but once a functional SU11 SDK becomes stable we will alter a few lines of code and this little gem of a problem will fade into memory for everyone."

Needs to have code updated once the SDK is updated for SU11.

Matthew Glanden

Comment

Originally posted by danielgduhon

For all of you saying "This is an ASOBO issue," it is not. Using ESC does ACTUALLY pause the simulation so this would be a much better implementation. The FBW has a working one, as mentioned by some others, and I have used ESC many times without any issues, even pausing overnight for 6+ hours at a time. PMDG really needs to look into it more than just punting it off to Asobo to receive the blame. I do agree that they need to add a better pause function within MSFS, but there is absolutely a workaround that functions as it should for now.

Daniel Duhon
                              -Long time PMDG customer
                              You apparently haven't been paying attention to this issue. PMDG has stated more than once that MSFS does not inform C++/WASM add-ons that the simulator is paused, so the 737 has no way of knowing that the sim has been paused. Therefore all of the systems continue to be simulated, including the engines burning fuel. Non-C++/WASM add-ons are presumably not affected by this (though I vaguely recall some folks saying that they have seen some issues with other aircraft in the past as well). It appears that Asobo may have done something in SU11 to address this, so hopefully, PMDG will be able to utilize whatever change Asobo made and put this particular issue to rest. Though I still do not understand why Asobo felt the need to change the way pause has worked in every flight simulator ever.

You mention using ESC to pause the simulator. While this may work for you, other users have reported having difficulty with this particular pause. Also, I could be wrong, but I'm not sure that PMDG can programmatically trigger the ESC pause from within the simulator.
                              Tim Lincoln
                              My YouTube Channel

Comment

• 77west
                                77west commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Correct, even the new A310 that shipped for free in this latest SU11 is affected. I was trying it out, paused to have dinner, came back after an hour and unpaused, bang, zero fuel. The best we could maybe hope for is a save at TOD so if you are away for more than a few minutes, you can just reload the flight. But then you lose the ability to change time and date for the remainder of that flight.

Wes Meyer

Originally posted by mglan80 View Post

Take a look a few posts up at #18:

"The SDK functionality for SU11 is still not quite usable (it won't actually allow us to build products yet- oops?) but once a functional SU11 SDK becomes stable we will alter a few lines of code and this little gem of a problem will fade into memory for everyone."

Needs to have code updated once the SDK is updated for SU11.
                              Ah, so he did - I missed that sentence. Guess I'll try again after a PMDG update. Thanks Mathew.
                              V/r,
                              Al Jordan | KCAE

Comment

Gents,

We have been trying to get this implemented, but the functionality for C++/WASM remains broken. We have brought this to Asobo's attention yet again, and we await a proper implementation.

It seems it was implemented by someone who didn't understand the importance of checking to see that the implementation worked.

The moment they give us something properly functional- we'll get an update out to you.

Robert S. Randazzo
                                PMDG Simulations
                                http://www.pmdg.com

Comment

• jsmarko3
                                  jsmarko3 commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  "It seems it was implemented by someone who didn't understand the importance of checking to see that the implementation worked." I'm absolutely going to hit someone at work with this gem.

• mglan80
                                  mglan80 commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Well...shucks.

Originally posted by rsrandazzo View Post
                                It seems it was implemented by someone who didn't understand the importance of checking to see that the implementation worked.
                                The number of times that I have seen someone implement something based on a single test case, and then express confusion when it provides strange results in pretty much every other use case...
                                Tim Lincoln
                                My YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                                X