Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

Question about cabin announcements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about cabin announcements

First of all I just want to say im loving the new PMDG 737 as ive been a purchaser/supporter for 10+ years.

Does PMDG plan on making any cabin announcements for their planes? I recently went back and flew the flybywire A32NX and it was so cool hearing the cabin announcements starting without some 3rd party addon triggering it which can cause a crash or other issues.

I understand this is a simulator and about the planes but to me, it adds to the immersion and makes me feel like im a real airline pilot as I will never be one in real life.

I appreciate your time and look forward to the rest of the planes you guys have planned. Fingers crossed for a 757!
    Phillip Palmer

But can you actually hear the cabin announcements from the flight deck on the actual airplane.
    Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

• cpalmer41
      cpalmer41 commented
      Editing a comment
      No clue, not an airline pilot. However, every flight ive been on the cockpit door was open for quite a bit so im sure they hear some along with passengers boarding/ loading their luggage into the bins and buckeling.

• Hirthflieger
      Hirthflieger commented
      Editing a comment
      normally we do not hear it. Sometimes they turn up the PA system very loud and yes you hear a little. But with the noise reduction headset on you will not here anything. Even the engines I normally only hear during a full TOGA 26K to.

Originally posted by Captain Kevin View Post
    But can you actually hear the cabin announcements from the flight deck on the actual airplane.
    Just stating this. If you close the fbw cockpit door you'll see the audio change😉

I'm so to the point i enjoy reading these threads with a bucket of popcorn and a big smile.
    Alex Kulak
    PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Kevin View Post
      With the cockpit door open you certainly can, and with the audio receivers tuned to PA (on the Audio Control Panel) as well. This could be useful to ensure that the safety demo has been completed before take off.

Comment

The only time you can hear the PA is on the ground with the door open, or unless you've selected PA audio. Generally speaking, why would anyone want to listen to the PAs anyway?

We make every effort to remove ourselves from the cabin activity, as it's nothing but a distraction to flight deck duties. The FAs are quite capable of running the show back there, and when they need something from us they'll call (and vice versa). Otherwise, what's going on in the cabin is - by design - not a pilot concern.
        Andrew Crowley

Comment

• matrosov
          matrosov commented
          Editing a comment
          We lack haptics in the desktop sim, sound can make up for it and add to immersion. Realism is great realism+immersion is awesome. Certain minor compromises to realism to add to immersion I am all for. Me personally I like my flight model and system to be realistic but if unrealistic sound makes me feel more like I'm controlling a 100 ton beast I'm all for making that sacrifice . So I always gravitate towards cinematic sounds in my planes with some bass and reverb stuff makes your teeth rattle with a pair of good headphones. In xplane sounds are pretty open source so there are aftermarket immersive soundpacks. Not sure how it works with MS sims and PMDG in particular but I wouldn't mind trying one. Not a thing wrong with PMDG current soundpack but I do miss the one I have in zibo from time to time when flying PMDG birds.

Originally posted by Stearmandriver View Post
        The only time you can hear the PA is on the ground with the door open, or unless you've selected PA audio. Generally speaking, why would anyone want to listen to the PAs anyway?

We make every effort to remove ourselves from the cabin activity, as it's nothing but a distraction to flight deck duties. The FAs are quite capable of running the show back there, and when they need something from us they'll call (and vice versa). Otherwise, what's going on in the cabin is - by design - not a pilot concern.
        Because it's a simulator after all, where we can fly many airlines, many of which have lovely safety demos to listen to? Even though it is not actually realistic to hear many of the cabin announcements as you describe, it does feel like it makes virtual flying more realistic. Almost as if the cabin was "alive" in some sense. It's really something I have come to miss in the addons that don't have it... like PMDG. And we haven't talked about boarding music yet.

Comment

• nobleord
          nobleord commented
          Editing a comment
          More importantly... please *no* pitches to sign up for the airline co-branded credit card!!! 🤣

• Swaluver88
          Swaluver88 commented
          Editing a comment
          Better yet let's a do swa non faa standard announcements little more fun with it

• cpalmer41
          cpalmer41 commented
          Editing a comment
          nobleord make sure you sign up for AAdvantage where you can be awarded up to 60,000 points if youre approved! Contact a flight attendant today to get started.

I sincerely hope you are joking, Andrew.

An aircraft Captain is legally responsible for the safety of his or her aircraft and this includes the rest of the Flight and Cabin Crew and of course the passengers. Just because the responsibility for the smooth running of the cabin service is delegated to the senior cabin crew member does not mean that the whole crew should not make every effort to work together as one team, or that what goes on in the cabin is not a pilot concern.

Sadly, there have been too many serious incidents and accidents in the past where the lack of effective communication between the Flight and Cabin Crew has been a significant - if not a major - contributory factor. Unfortunately, the introduction of larger aircraft like the B747 in the early 1970’s with its large compliment of cabin crew and the much later locked flight deck door policy which was introduced after 9/11 have not made the pilot’s task of leading one effective team any easier.
        Michael Codd

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Codd View Post

I sincerely hope you are joking, Andrew.

An aircraft Captain is legally responsible for the safety of his or her aircraft and this includes the rest of the Flight and Cabin Crew and of course the passengers. Just because the responsibility for the smooth running of the cabin service is delegated to the senior cabin crew member does not mean that the whole crew should not make every effort to work together as one team, or that what goes on in the cabin is not a pilot concern.

Sadly, there have been too many serious incidents and accidents in the past where the lack of effective communication between the Flight and Cabin Crew has been a significant - if not a major - contributory factor. Unfortunately, the introduction of larger aircraft like the B747 in the early 1970’s with its large compliment of cabin crew and the much later locked flight deck door policy which was introduced after 9/11 have not made the pilot’s task of leading one effective team any easier.
          Nowhere did I suggest that the captain does not retain overall command of the aircraft, and nowhere did I suggest that CRM isn't critical to operational safety. I'm not sure where you got that.

My point is that it's an industry best practice to minimize the distraction threat for the cockpit crew by isolating them from the routine duties of other work groups. Naturally coordination with cabin crew and other groups will be necessary in various abnormal situations, but on a normal day, no one is listening in on the safety demo PA any more than they're standing on the ramp monitoring fueling.
          Andrew Crowley

Comment

I'm starting popping the popcorn this is getting to that point now
            Alex Kulak
            PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

• cpalmer41
              cpalmer41 commented
              Editing a comment
              Man i hope not, id like to get an answer from one of the guys before this thread gets deleted. In the mean time, you have any kettle corn? If so, id like a bag.

• Swaluver88
              Swaluver88 commented
              Editing a comment
              I think I could make a batch

I think the point is being missed. What we want is to hear the captain or fo make the standard announcements, like the Zibo 737. That's what adds to the immersion. Also, the head FA pops in at key times to say the cop is on board or the passengers are strapped in. I don't need to hear the safety spiel or asking for passenger Escobar.

Comment

• cpalmer41
              cpalmer41 commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly! Id love to have those announcements!!

• cpengpku
              cpengpku commented
              Editing a comment
              I mean, technically you are the captain… so shouldn’t it be yourself who make the announcements? Lol

Jason Peng

You can get something like PACX or Self Loading Cargo (which seems to be abandoned at this point but lets you use your own audio clips). Something to keep in mind with "immersion" is accents, where a feature like this can end up decreasing immersion when you're listening to a perfect American accent when operating literally anywhere else.

PACX has an American accent for everything. SLC at least let's you use your own audio to mitigate this, but good luck finding clips of different accents to use...
            Cesar Perez

Comment

• cpalmer41
              cpalmer41 commented
              Editing a comment
              I have PACX. Its crashed my game multiple times. Ruined a long haul to heathrow so I dont use it anymore.

• jsmarko3
              jsmarko3 commented
              Editing a comment
              That's weird, granted I only have about 20 hours in it now, but it's been nothing but great for me. I had to whip up a few Lua scripts to get the CRJ and Maddog seatbelt switches to set the simvar PACX looks for, but otherwise it's been great.

The original person who brought up this subject I am sure just asked because of the enjoyment of immersion he or she gets with hearing the cabin announcements......this is a simulator folks, the responsibility of the "passengers" starts and ends with how many addons we have in our particular sim. Can you hear the announcements with the door closed is the same as asking "Can you hear the toilet flushing with the door open...? Please!
            Chaz

Comment

I like the cabin announcements in the FBW A320 as well Really adds to the immersion for me when I hear people boarding, and the captain making announcements. I haven't bought the 737 yet (waiting for 800) and have until now just assumed the 737 had these sounds as well. The 737 seems to have some callouts from the FO though, right?
              Øystein Rønning

Comment

Nowhere did I suggest that the captain does not retain overall command of the aircraft, and nowhere did I suggest that CRM isn't critical to operational safety. I'm not sure where you got that.

My point is that it's an industry best practice to minimize the distraction threat for the cockpit crew by isolating them from the routine duties of other work groups. Naturally coordination with cabin crew and other groups will be necessary in various abnormal situations, but on a normal day, no one is listening in on the safety demo PA any more than they're standing on the ramp monitoring fueling.
                From your statement “We make every effort to remove ourselves from the cabin activity, as it's nothing but a distraction to flight deck duties”……..what's going on in the cabin is - by design - not a pilot concern.”

However, I’m relieved to know you acknowledge the fact that good CRM is critical to operational flight safety and I totally agree with you. Effective teamwork involves the whole crew working well together in a co-ordinated manner and it is at the Briefing stage for the flight where this working relationship between the flight and cabin crew needs to be established. It is also helped by having good management policies in place which apply to everyone involved in maintaining, servicing and operating today’s complex and highly automated aircraft. If we take NASA’s Team Skills as an example, the single biggest Human Factors issue in any organisation is (poor) COMMUNICATION. Confidential HF reports obtained from ground staff and engineers, as well as flight and cabin crew, have proved this to be the case beyond any doubt. Enhancing flight safety in the real world should be everybody’s concern and we can only do this if we all talk and work together effectively.

One of the many best practices I am aware of (or Standard Operating Procedures as they are often called) is that under normal circumstances flight crew distractions should be avoided whenever the aircraft is being operated within 10,000 ft of the ground, but this does not mean that the pilots should work in isolation at any time. Everything that goes on in the cabin should be their concern and that’s why I am still puzzled when you say “the cockpit crew should be isolated from the routine duties of other work groups”. We ignore the Human Factors lessons learnt from previous accidents, such as the B737 at Kegworth in the UK where the lack of effective communication between the flight and cabin crew was apparently a significant contributory factor at our peril.
                Michael Codd

Comment

• Stearmandriver
                  Stearmandriver commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I really wish every airline's SOPs were equal to identified best practices... that's sure not always the case though .

Philip-

Cabin announcements tend to fall into the category of "environmental sound" for the flight deck occupants. We have never bothered with them because the sound environment controls in FSX/P3D didn't lend themselves well to creating a truly rich sound environment. MSFS changes that and we are slowly building out the sound environment around the flight deck and in various parts of the airplane in order to make it more feature rich.

Whether or not announcements will feature in that process is a bit hard to say from my current vantage point because I'm focused on items that are more core/central at the moment- but I suspect you'll get some changes in this arena that you'll like. I say this because I know the guys who ARE working on the environmental stuff and Armen in particular is really lit up with the capabilities he has in MSFS that he never had before.

So growth over time, I suspect we are going to be doing plenty of things we have never done before!

Robert S. Randazzo
                PMDG Simulations
                http://www.pmdg.com

Comment

• cpalmer41
                  cpalmer41 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome!! Im sure alot of people will be happy with this response! Thank you sir!

• VHOJT
                  VHOJT commented
                  Editing a comment
                  FSL had a damn good go in P3D Robert with the sound environment using their own sound engine.

I'm certainly looking forward to what you can achieve here - it really brings an aircraft to life when you can hear things in the back with cockpit door open as it usually is during boarding (in Oz anyway).

PS: I never understood captain's announcements or who would want them when you are the captain in the Sim. I can understand cabin announcements you hear with the door open or pa on like in FSL though.

IF stuff like announcements are going to turn up then they must surely be OPTIONAL. i.e. I don't want the flaming things!
                Bill Casey

Comment

An on/toggle for cabin sounds and a couple of sliders - overall passenger grouchyness level, number of babies crying at once level, number of fistfights per 100,000 miles traveled, animal noises from the animal kingdom to represent the emotional care animals, my goodness the possibilities are endless!
                  Mark Trainer

Comment

Perhaps they can allow a user to select those options with the new EFB that is coming like in the Zibo 737 for example. For sure announcements is not for everyone and it is totally fine, for me however, I also like the idea of cabin announcements. It is like everybody else says, it adds to the immersion where you feel that you are flying an airliner and makes the cabin feel more alive. Glad to see PMDG focused on the core central things but also taking the time to explore these new things they can add to their aircraft.
                    Sergio Gutierrez

Comment

Working...
                    X