Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

Looking for remedy to solve micro stutters and lag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for remedy to solve micro stutters and lag

Hello everyone,

I actually posted an article regarding the same topic and I decided to reupload, this time with youtube video that I recorded so that you may better understand what I am currently having problem with.

Below is my specification of desktop:-
    Samsung 21:9 wide screen 120Hz G-Sync
    I9-9900K 5G
    MSI 2080TI 11GB
    64GM RAM
    1TB nVMe
    Water cooling for CPU

To begin with, my issue as you can notice from video is the micro stutters and slight lags on the side ways of my monitor. (look carefully out the side windows of cockpit)
    Currently running mediocre settings with Transellation factor to ultra and Dynamic lighting off, getting FPS around 50-60 on the ground and 50-70 or even 80 in the air but FPS fluctuates A LOT between 50-70, or even 80 continuously. This is vividly noticeable when making turns. However front view does not show any degraded views like I mentioned above.
    My P3D experience has just begun and not an expert yet, I am really looking forward to hear good feedbacks and ideas on what I need to do in order to improve current issue so I may keep on flying with seamless performance.

Below is the link to my youtube video :-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_6P...ature=youtu.be

Your comments and ideas are always welcome, and I do appreciate your time for stopping by my article!
    James Kim

This may not help, but could be worth trying. In your P3D settings, lock your frame rate at 30 or 40 FPS (I think the setting is called Target Frame Rate). If your PC is able to consistently provide you with 50+ FPS when unlocked, locking it slightly lower than that will allow your PC to provide a more consistent frame rate without working as hard as possible to provide as many frames as possible (which is why you see the FPS fluctuating).
    Tim Lincoln
    My YouTube Channel

Comment

• tae9141
      tae9141 commented
      Editing a comment
      So if I lock the FPS, I am getting only 50 max right? ALso, is there any way I can handle with Nvidia control setting?

James, you don't want to limit frame rate externally. Use the P3D frame rate lock because this allows the built in P3D workload scheduler code work for you. If you limit frame rate outside of P3D then P3D will continue to schedule workload as if the user wanted unlimited frame rate.

I am running a very smooth animation (except for the long frames when loading some scenery objects) at 24 fps, and I mean very smooth on a 42-in 4K display 24-in from my nose.
    Dan Downs KCRP

Comment

• tae9141
      tae9141 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Dan for your comment. I actually tried every possible steps and methods everyone mentioned here in the article and locking frame rate only deteriorates the performance and it still stutters. Forgot to mention my monitor is 49inches and I do not think it was this bad when I first installed P3D in the beginning and now I am using following addons:-

ENVTEX
      TOMATO SHADE PRESET
      TERRA FLORA
      ASCA
      AS for P3D
      ORB GLOBAL + VECTOR

Well, I though it could be one of them causing the minor lags on the side view, but I am not sure.
      I recorded another video with close up and I will look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you so much.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5s6NR3bfBI

Frame rate is based on how long it takes your computer to complete all of the necessary calculations for each frame and to render everything that needs to be drawn on the screen. For every frame, the computer has to calculate how much has changed in the simulation since the previous frame, what that means for where everything needs to be positioned for the current frame, and then to actually display everything correctly on the screen. The more complex the simulation and scene currently is, the more calculations your computer needs to do each frame. This is why you will typically see lower frame rates closer to the ground (it gets worse with more complex scenery).

When your frame rate is unlocked, your computer is working as hard as it can to get through all of those calculations as fast as it can for every frame. As things change in the simulation, becoming more or less complex, your computer will not be able to maintain a constant frame rate as the time it takes for the necessary calculations for each frame to complete will vary. By locking the frame rate a little bit lower than what your computer is able to achieve when unlocked, you are essentially telling the computer that you only wish to see 40 frames each second (for example). This provides a few benefits.

First, the computer knows that it has 1/40th of a second in which all of the calculations need to be completed. When running calculations in a computer, a known, fixed time step (time between frames) is almost always a little more efficient than having a variable time step that changes. There is generally a small drop in accuracy, but an increase in efficiency. It is a bit of a trade-off between the two.

Second, since the computer knows how much time it has to complete all of the calculations, it will do one of two things. It will either spread the calculations out over the time it knows it has available, or it will finish the calculations as soon as possible and then wait for the next frame before starting to do the calculations for that frame. In either case, the computer is not working quite as hard as it would be if the frame rate were unlocked. This means less electricity being consumed, less heat being generated, lower fan speed (less noise), and possibly longer lifespan for the components inside the computer.

Third, and this is what may help with your situation, with a locked frame rate you will be less likely to see large fluctuations in the frame rate. Your frame rate will not go more than 2-3 FPS above what you have locked it to, and the only time it will drop below that rate is when the computer is no longer able to complete the needed calculations in the time available (normally this would only happen in very complex scenarios in the simulator, such as a very highly detailed aircraft and airport combined with a complex weather situation).

I am not sure if you can do this through the Nvidia Control Panel. I have never attempted to lock the frame rate in any flight simulator or game in this way. I always use the options in the simulator or game itself (if the option is available).
    Tim Lincoln
    My YouTube Channel

Comment

• tae9141
      tae9141 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Want2BFlyin for your comment. I actually tried every possible steps and methods everyone mentioned here in the article and locking frame rate only deteriorates the performance and it still stutters. Forgot to mention my monitor is 49inches and I do not think it was this bad when I first installed P3D in the beginning and now I am using following addons:-

ENVTEX
      TOMATO SHADE PRESET
      TERRA FLORA
      ASCA
      AS for P3D
      ORB GLOBAL + VECTOR

Well, I though it could be one of them causing the minor lags on the side view, but I am not sure.
      I recorded another video with close up and I will look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you so much.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5s6NR3bfBI

By side view you mean looking down at the ground from the side window? Yes, there has always been a very slight stutter in animation for me too but with my current system/configuration it is much less noticeable and I've got a little less power than you. It looking down at the ground from the side window isn't something I do very often as a pilot... passenger yes, pilot no.

No shader hacks here.
    Almost all Orbx world.
    ASP4/ASCA
    Dan Downs KCRP

Comment

• DDowns
      DDowns commented
      Editing a comment
      No Vsync. I use Rob Ainscough recommendations to use Vsync with 30 Hz monitor only if your average lowest frame rate is above 33 fps when unlocked, my average lowest frame rate is tough conditions is about 31 fps so I get better results running rate lock at 24 fps and 30 or 60 Hz monitor no difference.

• tae9141
      tae9141 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello DDowns, my apology for the late response. It was holiday season in my country and had to spend time with my family. So, I am not a big expert on computer science, however I get the point what you are saying. Mine is 42inch as well with 21:9, 120HZ and has G-Synce Capability. I tried removing P3D and all other addons and reinstalled one by one to see how each addons affect performance. It did affect the performance,however when I installed PMDG 737 and ran the flight, the stutter came back on again but not on default aircraft such as F22. FPS went up to 100 on F22. I installed ENVTEX, ORBX, ASCA and AS16, TerraFlora but this time not the 3rd party software such as tomatoshade. Still standingby on ORBX vector because it causes huge performance hit.

Secondly, I tried with V sync on FROM P3D and stutter was way better. Triple buffering was off all time. Then I turned off V-Sync and turned on G-sync from monitor, the stutter came back on again. Stutter on my rig appear as layers of block moving vertically; eventually look like 'lag' however I am still so worried what is wrong with setting and what possibly can cause this. If this is the max perf. I get out of my i9 and 2080ti I will stop doing further research but if there is anything else I can do to fix this issue, please feel free to comment here. Thank you so much for your time going through my long story...

• tae9141
      tae9141 commented
      Editing a comment
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX6QRkS1mKg

This is the new video after Vsync on. You will notice blocky stutter vertically forming when making turns.

If I may chime in here out of curiosity, I'm suffering from stutters/FPS fluctuations myself. With several P3D versions I always found leaving my frame rate unlocked provided more smoothness, mainly in head movement (TrackIR). I'll try to lock the frame rate after reading this to see if it alleviates the stutters.

I was wondering why leaving the frame rate unlocked and therefore having the computer work at max can result in smoother performance?
    Niklas Graefe

Comment

I just built my pc 2 weeks ago
      things to try

1- Remove your anti virus specially ''MALWAREBYTES''
      2- Run Bios Updates
      3- Make sure your RAM is installed in dual channel not single channel
      4- If your PC it self doesnt stutter as in different games, then its your P3D, try removing it completely, install it somehwere else, like a dif hard drive or SSD, remove all addons and add them one by one sometimes its one addon that is causing all this
      5- check your FSUIPC version
      6- check your ASCONNECT version
      7- check your .net framework version
      8- If you have ACTIVE SKY, sometimes it does make it stutter

I am sorry its a lengthy process that I had to ask for ''microcenter's'' help to diagnose the whole pc hardware and software wise
      Joe Karout

Comment

• tae9141
        tae9141 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey there,
        I tired number 4 and 2, canoot really point out the difference but V-Sync is better handling stutter at a few FPS trade off.
        Using G-sync monitor with 120HZ capability, should I turn on G-Sync with V-sync on or off?

• tae9141
        tae9141 commented
        Editing a comment
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX6QRkS1mKg

This is the new video after method 2 and 4. You will notice blocky stutter vertically forming when making turns.

My computer took a crap today. Lost everything had to install W10 instead of W7 and 6.8hrs later I'm back up flying with little to no stutter or lag and great frames I dont know if it has anything to do with W10 but I've noticed a hug difference
      Alex Kulak
      PMDG Studier and flyer
      Ramp Agent @PHX

Comment

That’s really great my friend im happy for you wonderful news i wish all of us with lag and stutter will get there soon.
        Danny Z.Cebis

Comment

My only reaction when looking at the video is... where's the problem? Sure, I can see it's not completely smooth, but P3D never is in my experience. It all looks normal to me.
          André Hansson

Comment

• tae9141
            tae9141 commented
            Editing a comment
            well time after time, when making turns I look more through side windows and the lags really irritates me...
        Working...
        X