Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

Jets are Cool, but Pistons Rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jets are Cool, but Pistons Rule

PMDG's DC-6 is amazing, and they have the team to produce those wonderful piston airliners of the 40's and 50's. We need a L-749 and a L1049, a DC-3 and a DC-4, a Convair 340, just to name a few. All done in PMDG's brilliance. My credit card is ready.
    Ed Grabel

Agree-- but two "tweaks"...add the Convair -240 to the list, and add a "Speedpak" option to the -749!

Kent Valentine
    Last edited by Colokent; 14Jun2022, 14:29.

Comment

Its more along about gather data and manuals for those planes to model and create the systems than just quickly throwing them out there. The smart thing would be hiring a dev team strictly just for pistons and get a dual production line going. One team for airlines the other for pistons and GA (if applicable)
      Alex Kulak
      PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

The Wing42 Boeing 247D is pretty great but boy howdy is it primitive!

On the one hand, when you assuredly mess up and overheat your engine(s) a time or two learning the plane, you get delightful engine fires and billowing smoke. On the other, the plane has an enormous, thick wing and a stall speed of about 60 knots. It doesn’t even have flaps! So you can ditch it pretty much anywhere you need to.
        Herb Schaltegger - Father, husband, lawyer, engineer & getting too old for this $#!t. Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball!TM.

Comment

There is nothing like a radial engine. the look better hanging on the front of the wing, They smell better than the aviation kerosene.
          Harry Nelson
          Dell XPS 12Gen i7-12700k (12core 25mb Cache 3.7 to 5.0Ghz), 16GB DDR5 4400Mhz RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 12GB LHR, 2TB M.2 NVME SSD + 2TB SATA 7200RPM HDD, 750W PS

Comment

Well, the only studio that got engine management for radials right and dynamic with proper consequences was A2A. For me the B377 Stratocruiser with COTS package is the best Propliner ever released, and it's 12 years old now. The DC6 is absolutely beautifully modeled, but the scripted engine starts and missing features like a live cabin and crew don't live up against COTS.
            I mean, PMDG could do this, but I guess Propliners just don't sell well enough to justify the effort.
            Matthias Hanel

Comment

• Hollister56
              Hollister56 commented
              Editing a comment
              You're right, both were great releases, last I heard A2A isn't working on bringing their planes into FS2020, with is very unfortunate.

• EasternT3
              EasternT3 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hollister56 - I may be getting confused in you mean specific aircraft, but A2A are very much working on MSFS 2020

• dbw
              dbw commented
              Editing a comment
              I'd enjoy seeing the B377 in MSFS too. Cool machine and done very well. That said the PMDG DC6 creation is excellent. I've got real world time on the R2800 and PMDG have done a great job with engine modelling as well as the cockpit etc.

I would love a PMDG DC-3.
            Regards,
            --Joe Markowski

In my defense, I was left unsupervised.

Comment

Originally posted by jsmarko3 View Post
              I would love a PMDG DC-3.
              I have hoped for this for years now. They even know someone who could lend a hand with the a/c for survey. For now, AH is working with Asobo for the November 40th Anniversary update and I’m hoping this time they will push out a superlative version…fingers x’ed! I even keep hoping the JS41 will reassert herself- she’d be perfect for this Sim. Hope springs eternal…
              Last edited by cavaricooper; 16Jun2022, 11:22.
              Best- Carl Avari-Cooper

Comment

• mglan80
                mglan80 commented
                Editing a comment
                I was very glad to hear that the AH version will be essentially freeware. That will allow the community to mod it into a good add-on. Maybe I'll be surprised, but their P3D version was disappointing in all the familiar ways (even still I fly it regularly) and that's been the theme with their other MSFS offerings in general.

RedWing is doing an amazing job with their L1049 actually. Might be worth checking out
              Dimitri de Wal - EHAM

Comment

• tmegowan
                tmegowan commented
                Editing a comment
                I have it and love it. They are making a lot of improvements.

• mglan80
                mglan80 commented
                Editing a comment
                I was curious about this one, too. Looks like they've made a good amount of progress. Are the cockpit textures good? Look a little subpar from the screenshots on their website. I still fly and love the A2A Constellation.

Originally posted by cavaricooper View Post

I have hoped for this for years now. They even know someone who could lend a hand with the a/c for survey. For now, AH is working with Asobo for the November 40th Anniversary update and I’m hoping this time they will push out a superlative version…fingers x’ed! I even keep hoping the JS41 will reassert herself- she’d be perfect for this Sim. Hope springs eternal…
              To me the DC-3/C-47 would be at tough aircraft to get the flight dynamics correct. It is not as straight forward as folks might think. Remember it's a swept-wing aircraft. 🤣
              Last edited by Bluestar; 18Jun2022, 21:40.
              Bode Bridges
              I Earned my Spurs in Vietnam

Comment

The old sim platforms have some pretty good ones, many freeware. Not exactly study level but much fun never the less.
                Victor Green

Comment

Yeah, old guys and piston engines.
                  Last edited by Flypops; 20Jun2022, 19:06.
                  Daniel Anziano

Comment

Originally posted by MatzeH84 View Post
                    Well, the only studio that got engine management for radials right and dynamic with proper consequences was A2A. For me the B377 Stratocruiser with COTS package is the best Propliner ever released, and it's 12 years old now. The DC6 is absolutely beautifully modeled, but the scripted engine starts and missing features like a live cabin and crew don't live up against COTS.
                    I mean, PMDG could do this, but I guess Propliners just don't sell well enough to justify the effort.
                    For many years I've coveted that Stratocruiser but just never got around to purchasing before moving on to the 64bit P3D. Do you keep FSX or FS9 installed to fly her or just stored her in the boneyard? This is the only aircraft I would have to reinstall FSX for.
                    Victor Green

Comment

Nah, I tried to go back and fly the FSL A320 or A2A GAs, but I just can't stand the graphics at half the FPS.
                      Matthias Hanel

Comment

Originally posted by Lanica View Post

For many years I've coveted that Stratocruiser but just never got around to purchasing before moving on to the 64bit P3D. Do you keep FSX or FS9 installed to fly her or just stored her in the boneyard? This is the only aircraft I would have to reinstall FSX for.
                        I wanted to do just that for the B377 but found myself sitting over that FSX.cfg again just to make it work acceptably. FSX and even the 64bit P3d is stone age, I tried to motivate me to reinstall P3dv4.5 for the 747 but when I thought about all the necessary 3rd party scenery and AIG with this not-so-one-click-installer and Active Sky and this and that I just let it pass. I would‘t even attempt FS9, I would have to make changes to my computer to make it run 🤣 no, never again these ancient programs. And if MSFS continues to fail with its updates I still have DCS and the real world, so be it 🤷🏻‍♂️
                        Ryzen 9 5900X, RX 6900XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM @3600MHz, 4k
                        Marc Eland
                        GFO Beta

Comment

• cedrice.rive@yahoo.fr
                          [email protected] commented
                          Editing a comment
                          🤣 thing here, for the 777. P3Dv4 is a real ecosystem, difficult to implement and expensive in terms of storage space -
                          Have an advantage for msfs2020 less addicted of other 3rd party soft.

Looks like we will have a very fine DC-3 for MS2020 for free! To say nothing of a Ryan NYP....
                        Tony Vallillo

Comment

• Ephedrin
                          Ephedrin commented
                          Editing a comment
                          AH haven‘t really been pushing out many „very fine“ aircraft recently… „many“ though. I don‘t expect the DC3 being any better.

Well, we shall see what we shall see, as Captain Ross told Ernie Gann on the occasion of his first flight on the line with American. From the looks of it (and only from the looks of it) it would appear to be "good enough for government work", as we said in the military.

The point is that not everything in life comes out of PMDG. Apparently it can't, for reasons that Captain R. has made clear. We must be glad that others are filling in the gaps. This has been true in every platform so far, and one can only hope it will continue to be so.
                        Tony Vallillo

Comment

Working...
                        X