Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

P3D v5 or MSFS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by funkyhut View Post
    Felis 747-200 X-Plane 11, for me, tough to beat. DC6 in MSFS a close second. Zebo is a really decent 737 and free.
    Still hope that the PMDG 747-400 will land in MSFS before I'm 6ft under. Till then Aerowinx with MSFS as the views works really well.
    Well Chris. Let’s hope you stick around for MSFS2300
    Paul Gugliotta

Comment

Got msfs on release, it was terrible so stuck with xp11. Fast foward to now, msfs is far more stable and performance friendly. This and PMDG 737 release are the two reasons I was comfortable with deleting xp from my system. Msfs is the present and the future for the majority of simmers.
      3900x - 6700xt - LG C1

Tamati Fitzpatrick

Comment

The over-night-long force update in MSFS just killed me.
        Just thinking that'll make me less want t launch MSFS, and launch less on MSFS the longer the update time would go.
        So stick with P3D and XP for me....
        ZHU Hai
        B737 Ground instructor

Comment

FS Labs 64-bit Concorde for P3D v5 will be entering beta in the next few weeks. When you’re flying 11 miles up over ocean the differences between MSFS and P3D are not that different.

Use MSFS for low-level sightseeing and P3D for high-level flights in serious jets. Nothing beats the beauty of Concorde.
          Cheers,
          Ray Proudfoot

(Cheshire, England)

Cheadle Hulme Weather

Comment

When I upgraded my hardware a month ago I elected to not reinstall P3D. It's just too potato compared Msfs. I'll miss the 777 and 747 but not enough to bother with the endlessly messy ESP engine anymore.

And those that claim that msfs is still buggy and has a poor flight model I would argue have outdated information. It works beautifully and the pmdg 737 flies better than ever. So does the Fenix a320. Also to those that say that the mfsf scenery advantage doesn't matter at 38000 feet, have you actually seen it? I can tell you msfs blows away p3d also at that altitude.

P3d/fsx belong in a museum. The only reason to use them is if you feel you absolutely must fly a plane that doesn't exist for msfs. Even then... I'd personally learn a new plane that does.
            André Hansson

Comment

• PelicanEagle
              PelicanEagle commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed 100% it is a pure magic to have MSFS! P3D eh; it is HISTORY

Originally posted by AndreH View Post
            P3d/fsx belong in a museum. The only reason to use them is if you feel you absolutely must fly a plane that doesn't exist for msfs. Even then... I'd personally learn a new plane that does.
            P3D DOES NOT belong in a museum. Just because you don’t want to use it any longer there’s no need to denigrate a product that bears no relation to FSX and has been improved considerably.

Historical weather and control over updates are just two major pluses that mean I’ll keep using P3D for the foreseeable future. Oh, and a weather radar. Good luck getting one of those in MSFS.

And nothing comes close to Concorde. Mach 2 instead of Mach 0.84. 3h 20m from LHR to JFK instead of 7hrs+. Enjoy your slowcoach simulator.
            Cheers,
            Ray Proudfoot

(Cheshire, England)

Cheadle Hulme Weather

Comment

• AndreH
              AndreH commented
              Editing a comment
              Fair enough, my friend, It's not useless. The points you made are legitmate. I said it to emphasize the huge leap forward that MSFS represents, in many if not all areas. You (rather passionately) disagree with that. And that's ok.

• RayP
              RayP commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Andre. Each to their own.

• StachM
              StachM commented
              Editing a comment
              Default ATC (with EditVoicepack) is also better in P3D compared to MSFS.

Originally posted by RayP View Post

P3D DOES NOT belong in a museum. Just because you don’t want to use it any longer there’s no need to denigrate a product that bears no relation to FSX and has been improved considerably.

Historical weather and control over updates are just two major pluses that mean I’ll keep using P3D for the foreseeable future. Oh, and a weather radar. Good luck getting one of those in MSFS.

And nothing comes close to Concorde. Mach 2 instead of Mach 0.84. 3h 20m from LHR to JFK instead of 7hrs+. Enjoy your slowcoach simulator.
            Some people get touchy with change lol. Same thing happened when people moved from horse and cart to motorised vehicles :-) What am I gonna do with all this hay I've spent money on?!? ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by mkkk View Post

Some people get touchy with change lol. Same thing happened when people moved from horse and cart to motorised vehicles :-) What am I gonna do with all this hay I've spent money on?!? ;-)
              Some of us prefer a stable simulator that just works. Your comparison with horse and carts is tedious. In my opinion MSFS was released far too early. It’s been in beta for two years with these massive updates. In 1-2 years it should be reasonably stable with a mature SDK and then I’ll think about it for a VFR sim.
              Cheers,
              Ray Proudfoot

(Cheshire, England)

Cheadle Hulme Weather

Comment

• NegativeApproach
                NegativeApproach commented
                Editing a comment
                Come on it was a joke :-) Enjoy P3D!

I'm just sad that at this point, MS didn't buy PMDG to include T7 for free for November release . Me thinks they are switching tactics here. Instead of making sim stable let's just pay devs to outsmart the mess we created.
              Aleks Matrosov

Comment

Some of us prefer a stable simulator that just works. Your comparison with horse and carts is tedious. In my opinion MSFS was released far too early. It’s been in beta for two years with these massive updates. In 1-2 years it should be reasonably stable with a mature SDK and then I’ll think about it for a VFR sim.
                Ray, the updates are going to continue for years and years.
                Believe it or not, this is a good thing and not really any sort of a problem. You and I are both in the UK where we enjoy relatively cheap, unmetered internet and relatively cheap, massive SSD’s to store it all on.

You’d be much, much better informed if you actually splashed out the wallet busting £45 on a copy for yourself rather than relying on some of the confusing nonsense that is often spouted on AVSIM.

The sim was released “too early”? The logic of these kind of statements is beyond me.

Weather radar? It already exists in the sim and with the next update will be available for those developers using WASIM too.

No flight sim can ever be considered ‘finished’, due to the very technical and dynamic nature of the beast and the platforms and technology they rely upon.
                It will always be a moveable feast.

Comment

• cedrice.rive@yahoo.fr
                  [email protected] commented
                  Editing a comment
                  For the release of the -900 we will most certainly have a functional wxr and a considerably improved egpws

Originally posted by DD_Arthur View Post

Ray, the updates are going to continue for years and years.
                Believe it or not, this is a good thing and not really any sort of a problem. You and I are both in the UK where we enjoy relatively cheap, unmetered internet and relatively cheap, massive SSD’s to store it all on.

You’d be much, much better informed if you actually splashed out the wallet busting £45 on a copy for yourself rather than relying on some of the confusing nonsense that is often spouted on AVSIM.

The sim was released “too early”? The logic of these kind of statements is beyond me.

Weather radar? It already exists in the sim and with the next update will be available for those developers using WASIM too.

No flight sim can ever be considered ‘finished’, due to the very technical and dynamic nature of the beast and the platforms and technology they rely upon.
                It will always be a moveable feast.

The sim was in alpha for over a year. It was in beta for a few months. For anyone who writes software that tells you everything. With every major update came things that were broken. Not enough time to beta test it thoroughly.

Until there’s a decent Concorde for MSFS I’m not interested. I don’t need to buy it to know what it looks like. I’ve seen it on several computers and it’s good for low level flying. But I rarely fly low level.
                Cheers,
                Ray Proudfoot

(Cheshire, England)

Cheadle Hulme Weather

Comment

I don’t need to buy it to know what it looks like.
                  I think you really do😎

Comment

I think you really do😎
                    What are you suggesting? That the people who have it installed don’t know what they’re doing? ​​​​That’s rather insulting don’t you think?
                    Cheers,
                    Ray Proudfoot

(Cheshire, England)

Cheadle Hulme Weather

Comment

And nothing comes close to Concorde.
                      [whispers]...Concorde is junk...[runs away]
                      PMDG Cultist...Chris Honke (CYYZ)

Comment

• TH454
                        TH454 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Lol that will stir the pot 😅

• RayP
                        RayP commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I’m not rising to the bait.

Haven't even opened P3D since Maddog, B737-700 and Fenix Airbus was released for MSFS 🤣 Eagerly waiting on B737-800 and 747/777..i only keep P3D for those addons that aren't available for MSFS.
                      Last edited by Miksu1977; 14Jun2022, 16:40.
                      Mikael Leinonen EFHK

Comment

I have both, and FSX too BTW.

For flying my PMDG 744/8 (my preferred mount), P3Dv5 is still the only option, and with tons of payware add-ons looks good at the airports and from altitude andso is perfectly usable for me.

MSFS may look better overall but the only PMDG bird avail for it right now is the 737 and though I bought it, I HATE that bird.
                        PMDG Cultist...Chris Honke (CYYZ)

Comment

I still use P3D for everything except a quick hour or so joy ride in a warbird and the occasional short hop in the DC-6. I can't pause MSFS so I don't use it for flights more than an hour. That cuts out just about everything.
                          Matthew Glanden

Comment

I have switched to MSFS fulltime after the PMDG 737 and Fenix A320 was released. Prior to that, I used MSFS with the FBW A320, and P3D with my PMDG aircraft.

Simply because of the visuals, I prefer MSFS of the two now, when it works.

And that's my only real issue with MSFS at the moment - it has stability issues. Lately it has been disconnecting and reconnecting very frequent. Many flight's lately has been ruined by a dialogue box popping up, even during landing sequence informing me the sim has lost connection. When that box has focus, my stick input even get cancelled ruining the flight. I expect this issue to be temporary until their servers get better, hopefully.

Perhaps I will switch back to P3D from time to time until the rest of the PMDG aircraft is available in MSFS.

It's a good time for us simmers with all the choices we have now!

Vidar Haaland
                            System: Win11, Intel i9-9900K, Gigabyte Z390, RAM 32GB, M.2 SSD, ASUS RTX 3080 ROG Strix OC

Comment

• AndreH
                              AndreH commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Intersting how things can be different for different users. For me MSFS is the sim that "just works" and P3D the one where something was always wrong, not working/loading/connecting etc. or sudden unexplainable performance drops etc. Could never get it right despite modest settings and relatively simple setup (for P3D).

i still dont know why people consider the platform "the sim".

the real "sim" to me is the aircraft simulation. the platform is just the operating system, the environment it runs in, the scenery generator.

right now most of the aircraft i want to fly are only available for p3d. msfs now has a grand total of 2 aircraft available from my fleet. the 700 and the fenix 320. however even the same pmdg aircraft (the 737) has more features in p3d than it does in msfs.

i just dont know why someone who enjoys all the pmdg fleet would delete it all and quit flying them just because one of their airframes is available for a new platform.

Mike Teague - p3dv5.1 - B736 B737 B738 B739 B772 B77L B77W B744 B748

Comment

• Jude Bradley
                              Jude Bradley commented
                              Editing a comment
                              My biggest issue with P3D was the moire effect particularly on PMDG aircraft gauges at night-time. That and the bad lighting.

For me I had no issues with msfs, performance is great, no ctd's not yet. P3d went straight to the bin
                            Best regards
                            Brendon Powys
                            Johannesburg

Comment

I used FSX/P3D/XP11 but didn’t touch MSFS till PMDG released the 700. Well… I have a decent PC and the visuals are just stunning. 45-60 FPS no matter where I go at 1440P ultra wide.
                              As I write this FSX and P3D are being shelved. I’m probably gonna keep XP11 for the 767 for now but that’s about it.
                              I’ve been swimming for good 14 years now and MSFS is just on another level. I’m no pilot so all those “I’m a pilot for 150 years now and MSFS is garbage cause…” arguments really mean nothing to me and I love it as it even though the future looks even better.
                              No addons beside simple traffic and pmdg.

8BBA2244-5D1C-462E-A6FE-E78A53FD0C7D.jpg

5A7E0D40-9DA8-4CF1-BF8B-F8288171887F.jpg F6B4FBDD-49FB-4346-9567-63FC3C946BBA.jpg 2E68772D-C0B4-47BB-80D7-2C1780FBCD59.jpg C849290F-7311-47C5-9CC8-D5ABEEEC987F.jpg
                              Last edited by FlyByWire; 18Jun2022, 19:17.
                              Pawel Grochowski

Comment

Originally posted by mkkk View Post

Very good analogy. Keep in mind there are even today many places a horse can take you a car can't and this is why I am keeping my P3D versions 4 and 5 through the foreseeable future. I am a radial engine transport aficionado and purchased this week the JF C46 Commando. Had a ball learning to master this muscle bird on the ground and in the air, flying up and down the Florida Keys. Never give up my A2A Connie, Aeroplane Heaven C119 and DC3, Manfred Jan C47, freeware Convair 440, my Milviz Otter as well as A2A singles or the PMDG DC6 l which I have purchased three different times. (FSX, P3DV4,and MSFS). Heck, sometimes I consider reinstalling FSX just to buy the A2A Stratocruiser I've admired over the years.
                                Speaking of Florida I have a plethora of MSE photo scenery with autogen which IMO comes very close to MSFS. Areas where I don't have Photo scenery I have the ORBX Global with Land Classes not to mention tons of airports.
                                When I get the yen for some modern FMC birds I have all the PMDG Boeings among others from other developers and they already have the EFB, weather radar and all the other bells and whistles with out sitting around waiting for these enhancements to come forth in a new platform. So you see, my horse is a thoroughbred and that's why I'm keeping her.
                                I know this statement is not much help to the OP, so I'll say if I were a young fella starting in this hobby, I would probably go with MSFS and grow with that as addons come forth.
                                Last edited by Lanica; 18Jun2022, 20:41.
                                Victor Green

Comment

Having spent hundreds of pounds on aircraft and scenery for P3D v4 and v5 I’m not about to drop that and switch to a new simulator that has great scenery but nothing else better than I can get with P3D v5.

Default ATC cannot compare to Radar Contact, Active Sky gives me historical weather and the DCD Concorde is a pale imitation of the soon to be released FS Labs Concorde for P3D v5.

And the PMDG737 NGXu has a weather radar. When will Asobo open up the weather engine to third party developers? Never is my guess.
                                  Cheers,
                                  Ray Proudfoot

(Cheshire, England)

Cheadle Hulme Weather

Comment

• tamadeez
                                    tamadeez commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    Bad guess, lol

• VBHB
                                    VBHB commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    SU10 clown.

I'm leaning closer over to P3D because, the devs of MSFS are still stuborn to add an option to use controls to how you would fly in FSX (I.E. the Mouse Yoke)
                                  Evan Cheauré (EvantheKidDS)

Comment

Originally posted by Ephedrin View Post
                                    One thing to consider:

There is a huge (!!) amount of freeware available in a quality that puts P3D payware to shame. Both as mods for default aircraft and scenery. Get the freeware, enjoy and never look back.

just accept that the user interface is rubbish and focus on the sim itself.
                                    Is this true? MSFS has more freeware add-ons at this point, than P3D does? Can somebody who owns P3D and MSFS confirm this?
                                    John Harold

Comment

P3D wasn't particularly well supplied with freeware scenery in my experience. Often you could only find FSX freeware for an airport and it usually didn't appear correctly in P3D. I got quite adept at fixing some things like taxiways but overall it wasn't great. With MSFS there are a lot of people working on freeware, so lots of free airports are available. The problem can be support for system updates, so you might find an airport stops working properly as the base sim changes.

Whether there's actually more freeware than in P3D I can't say for sure, but I've always been able to find the scenery i needed in MSFS. The default scenery is usually better the P3D too which is a big factor in its favour.

Comment

Originally posted by tankjohnson View Post

Is this true? MSFS has more freeware add-ons at this point, than P3D does? Can somebody who owns P3D and MSFS confirm this?
                                        John,

go to flightsim.to and have a look yourself. Check the yellow addons section in the official MSFS forum. The number of people who create freeware has decreased since the early days as these freeware creaters have started to make payware and some simply stopped doing it when others stole their stuff and sold it. But the number is still huge and much better in comparison. Of course it depends on the type of addons you‘re after. But one (official) example: the inibuilds Airbus A310 which has been sold with huge successs and amazing quality for XPlane will come as native MSFS aircraft.. for FREE! Every world update adds huge areas in much higher quality, sometimes with large airports. Free of charge. You really don‘t have to pay anything for this sim except the initial purchase if you don‘t want to. Heck, even highly detailed payware addons like the PMDG 737 are much cheaper now.

There are many „developers“ now who in my opinion don‘t deserve that name, who put premium prices on garbage work. Others copied their work from P3d over and asked for more money than in P3d but that‘s rare and some research on our side reveals it quickly. Just don‘t be a „day one purchaser“ and you should be fine.

And last but not least there are developers from the P3d era who used to build rather facile addons, not much depth, not much effort who have massively stepped up their game. And some of the freeware modders don‘t need to be afraid of the comparision. I really recommend the JPLogistics C152 or MrTommyMXR‘s Da40 and Da62 mods. This sim is worth to be flown in real VFR.
                                        Ryzen 9 5900X, RX 6900XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM @3600MHz, 4k
                                        Marc Eland
                                        GFO Beta

Comment

Originally posted by tankjohnson View Post

Google ‘flightsim.to’ and judge for yourself 👍

Comment

I can only speak for airports so far. I have 238 free airport sceneries installed from flightsim.to using the MSFS Addons Linker and they look amazing. Far more airports than I remember when I used to use FSX and P3D.
                                            Cheers, Richard

Comment

Google ‘flightsim.to’ and judge for yourself 👍
                                              Yeah, I use MSFS myself. But I don't use P3D, and I can't find the P3D version of flightsim.to, so that's why I was asking. What is the best website for P3D freeware add-ons, that is the P3D version of flightsim.to?
                                              John Harold

Comment

• Ephedrin
                                                Ephedrin commented
                                                Editing a comment
                                                Avsim probably
                                            Working...
                                            X