Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

P3D v5 or MSFS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P3D v5 or MSFS?

At the time when the public was first comparing these two sims, MSFS was still very barebones with a lot of bugs.

But currently, MSFS is working more stable than it was first released. Based on the bug fixes, stability of the sim, the controls, familiarity with OG FSX players, content, quality, the environment, and availability of third-party aircraft, why not see which is the better preferred flight sim?

(I'm thinking about coming back to the flight sim community after being on hiatus for 1-2 years, and considering whether to start moving over to MSFS, or stay w/ P3D v5)
    Evan Cheauré (EvantheKidDS)

I will share my experience and thoughts on them.
    I flew P3D. I moved to X-Plane 11. Loved them both. Probably still do.
    When MSFS first came out and I got my hands on the CRJ it was amazing. I bought Rex Weather and now don't use it, unless the weather servers are down. I don't fly GA. I fly on VATSIM exclusively and exclusively with VAs.
    After getting the CRJ I was jonsing for the 737. That is my main plane. PMDG in P3D and Zibo in X-Plane. After a few weeks on the CRJ I ran back to get in the familiar 737 in X-Plane. Loved sitting in the cockpit, loaded in to an airport and felt, well blah. The airport was good, it was a high end free scenery from the Xplane forum, but still blah. I loaded in Active Sky and felt the weather get dumped on me. I took off and looked around, blah. All of a sudden my weather just changed. I didn't fly out of the weather, it just changed. I didn't like it. I began getting my 737 on in XPlane only on night flights so I did not have to look at the scenery or lack there of.
    Then came the Maddog! Right after the 737 and then Fenix (making me actually fly an Airbus for craps sake). I have not touched X-Plane since. I will get X-Plane 12. I feel though that unless you are willing to spend hours downloading and installing orthos, you will have a great sim with tile after tile after tile of the same scenery.
    I have had MSFS since day one. I have had a total (I log them and the suspected causes) of 6 CTDs. I am very controlling of my sim install. I use MSFS addons linker to organize my community folder, and yes though some feel it is a personal slight to them, after my first two airports, I do not and will not buy from the in sim market. I like controlling where I put things, what gets loaded (I have hundreds of payware and freeware airports and only load two at a time).
    So would definitely give MSFS a try. You can do it for I think 5 dollars a month with the XBox app on your PC. If you like it I would invest in the owning the premium deluxe verson.
    Mark "Crabby" Crabtree AAL311 | PHL
    I7-9700KF | 2070 Super | Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo | MFG Crosswind

Comment

Up to you but you can try MSFS for free if you have GamePass which only costs a quid a month for the first 3 months (Check this as it may have changed since In was on it). My P3D is long gone. MSFS is another world compared all of the legacy sims but some prefer the old stuff

Comment

It's a tough question. In terms of pure visuals out the window looking at the ground view P3D is done and obsolete compared to Xplane and compared to MSFS. They can't do anything about it because of restrictive licensing policy by Microsoft. At 30 thousand feet flying an airliner. it is perfectly capable competitive and volumetric clouds they put in in V5 are very good. So if you're flying low and slow MSFS or XP with ton of ortho is your answer Airliners P3D is still valid option. The question becomes given the fact that P3D and MSFS are not so distant cousins how long good developers are going to stick around and make planes for it. MSFS backed by a big corps marketing budget unrestricted by licensing agreements draws in a pretty sizable audience which in turn means increased profits for the dev which in turn means less time spent by the Developer working on P3D projects. My objective take on the subject matter since I dislike both P3D and MSFS is that you'd be better off in MSFS. Unless of course you want to come over to the dark side where I live and buy XP but then again you'd need MSFS or P3D for heavy boeings, we don't have anything that can compete with PMDGs T7 or QOS.
        Last edited by matrosov; 08Jun2022, 23:05.
        Aleks Matrosov

Comment

I think I should clarify something before anything else, I own the Standard Edition of MSFS and Prepar3D v4 (probably thinking about v5) already.
          Evan Cheauré (EvantheKidDS)

Comment

• matrosov
            matrosov commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd say MSFS just because of the high probability that developers will start abandoning P3D in droves to go where the audience is. To me they are both convoluted overblown user unfriendly sandboxes that I can barely stand but it just so happens that MSFS is a much more better looking sandbox compared to P3D. .MSFS is stablish enough at the moment and devs started to figure out ways to work around its limitations to bring in complex planes into it. Until the next time Asobo breaks it that is and they'll fix it again because they like making money too. My plans are to happily fly in XP without pain and suffering and continue to suffer in MSFS to fly PMDG birds. Both of them are a chore to use so you might as well go thru the chore in something pretty.

One thing to consider:

There is a huge (!!) amount of freeware available in a quality that puts P3D payware to shame. Both as mods for default aircraft and scenery. Get the freeware, enjoy and never look back.

just accept that the user interface is rubbish and focus on the sim itself.
          Ryzen 9 5900X, RX 6900XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM @3600MHz, 4k
          Marc Eland
          GFO Beta

Comment

Originally posted by EvantheKidDS View Post
            ………..(I'm thinking about coming back to the flight sim community after being on hiatus for 1-2 years, and considering whether to start moving over to MSFS, or stay w/ P3D v5)
            Hi Evan,

Navigraph conduct an impartial survey each year which I think you will find interesting and it might also help you to make up your own mind. If you have invested a lot of time and money into P3Dv5 and third party addons then you might want to keep it and purchase MSFS; then you will have the best of both worlds.

MSFS is a completely new simulator platform with great visuals, but you can forget about moving over your existing P3D addons (including PMDG aircraft for P3D) because very few, if any, will work in MSFS. Depending on your PC hardware, you will also have to get used to some very different MSFS controller settings, various bugs and long loading times. Having a fast PC running Windows 11 with an M2 drive and one of the latest graphics cards is also worth considering. . I wish you happy Flight Simming whatever you decide to do and here’s a link to the survey I mentioned:-

https://navigraph.com/blog/survey2021
            Michael Codd

Comment

• vadriver
              vadriver commented
              Editing a comment
              would you agree michael .... P3D is great airside, MSFS is great landside (when you look at the A to B of each) ?

• Michael Codd
              Michael Codd commented
              Editing a comment
              I don’t think I can give you an honest answer John because I am still using P3Dv4.5 and not v5.0. I suppose it depends on what you are looking for because P3D and MSFS have their different strengths and weaknesses. For example, I would lose some of my addons which are great for IFR flights if I gave up v4.5 for v5.0 and I find the MSFS visuals are much better for VFR flights.

Looking forward I can’t wait for the day when MSFS matures with more realistic aircraft and airfields available (including the PMDG B777 and B744/-8) and a really good VR setup, because that will make my day.

Here is my question on this topic. (I only fly PMDG and QW787 planes) . I have many P3Dv5 payware airports from FT, FSDT, Flight Beam Drz Deigns etc. Are MSFS default airports better than P3Dv5 Payware airport? Are FlyTampa MSFS airports in MSFS better then FlyTampa same airport inP3DV5?? Is the MSFS PMDG 737 better than the P3D PMDG 737 in terms of flight model and graphics? I mean I fly P3D every day with sliders maxed out and the graphics are stunning. Will MSFS blow me away??? My P3D is so perfected with Yoke, throttles, tiller, rudder pedals - nose wheel steering, Navigraph, EFB's for PMDG 3 planes etc - I am scared to change just to fly the PMDG 737 in MSFS. Someone talk some logic to me here!!!
            Paul Gugliotta

Comment

• Eleuth
              Eleuth commented
              Editing a comment
              This problem is one of all times. Every new sim means losing your money that you spend in the past.
              As far as I understand MSFS has much more possibilties for developpers and bring flightsimming to a higher level (in time, like P3D, and Xplane)
              So in a way you can say it is the future of flightsimming untill a new and better sim arrives.
              For me, I switched to MSFS from P3D and am very happy with the sim. Better performance, great visuals and a lot of great freeware stuff. Seting up the controls take some time, but works as good as in P3D.
              Combined with the marvelous PMDG planes (and CRJ and Fenix A320 too). The sim is not there yet, but every update is a step.
              I switched and never looked back.

When I don’t have to spend 1000’s of $$ in add-ons to make the sim feel and look as real as possible, I think MSFS wins that battle.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulyg123 View Post
              Here is my question on this topic. (I only fly PMDG and QW787 planes) . I have many P3Dv5 payware airports from FT, FSDT, Flight Beam Drz Deigns etc. Are MSFS default airports better than P3Dv5 Payware airport? Are FlyTampa MSFS airports in MSFS better then FlyTampa same airport inP3DV5?? Is the MSFS PMDG 737 better than the P3D PMDG 737 in terms of flight model and graphics? I mean I fly P3D every day with sliders maxed out and the graphics are stunning. Will MSFS blow me away??? My P3D is so perfected with Yoke, throttles, tiller, rudder pedals - nose wheel steering, Navigraph, EFB's for PMDG 3 planes etc - I am scared to change just to fly the PMDG 737 in MSFS. Someone talk some logic to me here!!!
              Yep they are because the runways ain't flat.
              Peter Walsh.

Comment

• PelicanEagle
                PelicanEagle commented
                Editing a comment
                yap that's the answer the runways slope make the big difference and challenge as well very real feel for T/O and Landing!

Paul,

Airports themselves are not mind blowingly better in MSFS compared to P3D but they do have better 3D assets. But you have to consider that they are part of the environment and there is stuff that surrounds them and because of that they are on the next level compared to P3D even P3D with orbx.

Flight engine wise MSFSs flight engine is not a problem it is very much P3Dish The problem is the implementation of it as it relates to the plane. So planes modeled entirely within the sim platform like the default ones are total and absolute junk the ones that are modded are miles better but still nowhere near cigar compared to P3D or Xplane but the kicker is that PMDG QW Leonardo Fenix are not really within the sim planes and have their own air gapped if you will flight modeling so those fly extremely close enough from sim to sim. PMDG 737 flies close enough to zibo in Xplane and closer enough still to NGXU in P3D there are subtle differences for sure like MSFSs version seems to have a bit more of an floaty feel to it on landing but nothing that makes it unusable or for you to go whoa that's totally different. It is very subtle.

Controls wise MSFS is the same convoluted mess as P3D to an Xplane user like myself but you'd feel right at home with it. same SPAD FSUIPC Axis and Ohs same Hvars, LVars, Events, XML Vars etc.

The logic for switching is that from mass market perspective P3D is dead and writing is on the wall for it. MSFS is extremely good looking sandbox and Lockheed is forbidden from making P3D good looking because of the restrictive licensing agreement they have with Microsoft. And there is really no easy user level way to make it good looking like you can with xplane and ortho scenery and freeware autogen. So that means developers are forced out of P3D and into MSFS if they want to have access to broad audience and continue to have financially viable businesses. So you are not going to see a lot more updates or new planes coming out to P3D they will slowly be wound down and eventually retired. Might take another 3 years but it'll happen.

To me MSFS and P3D are red headed unwanted stepchildren because RSR does not want to bring boeings to XP, sniffles, so my logic for switching I might as well keep a prettier looking child I never wanted and free up space on my drive by retiring the other.
              Last edited by matrosov; 09Jun2022, 14:24.
              Aleks Matrosov

Comment

My aim is to fly the B77F in MSFS and with GFO. I am hoping that, because I shall only require freight stands for parking, I will have little need to buy pay-ware sceneries.
                Cheers, Richard

Comment

I enjoyed P3D with ORBX injection that was the only way you would say a wow effect like Netherland scenery and other but still they refused to create 3d modelling elevation profile which make it very boring flying in this conditions, XP did and I was in flame seeing the scenery of XP vs P3D even in ORBX's web. you would see the different qualities. I never understood why p3d would never commit to better 3d modeling scenery airports; guys it was a lot of money involved and resources to get P3D to a wow effect; but when I saw the first image of MSFS that was IT for me, I new that PMDG will fixed all eyes in this and look how it is progressing now. I know FSLAB will land A320 and Phenix 's A320 already landed. the future for MSFS looks brighter! For me ; I wont get rid off P3D completely; I have a license for them. I might make another DT and drop it there to see how it will evolve in the future. as I owned all of the PMDG's jets for P3D and in case of a total failure of MSFS have P3D as a back up -) RO
                  Rolando Olmo

Comment

The world updates come with so many advanced airports, some better than others, but still so many that there is a lot to do even if one doesn‘t want to buy addon scenery. And as I said above: a huuge freeware community. Flightsim.to for that.
                    Ryzen 9 5900X, RX 6900XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM @3600MHz, 4k
                    Marc Eland
                    GFO Beta

Comment

I'm with Paulyg here - way too much time invested in "fiddling" around with countless settings (hardware, graphics, etc) to want to go through that nightmare again. If you're flying tubeliners at 38K feet, what the heck. I'm gonna stick with my investment of countless add-ons for Prepar3D for at least another couple of years. Hey it works - and meantime MSFS will get the bugs ironed out.

For someone coming into this hobby as a newbie - well go for MSFS it makes sense. For people who already have their fav airports and airliners, it makes sense to stick it out a while longer.

Mark Trainer
                      Mark Trainer

Comment

• matrosov
                        matrosov commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I don't know if I must suffer I might as well suffer with something that is easier on the eyes. Amount of suffering is the same for me in P3D or MSFS .

I do know what I will do. My super-computer with P3D is now 4 years old. I will have Jetline Systems build me the next computer when the PMDG 77 is released for MSFS. I will have MSFS on a 2 TB drive and P3D on another 2 TB drive. They will install MSFS, P3D all me PMDG planes and even the 40 airports I have. I will be in Tampa in October and hopefully be able to hand them a check then. Maybe P3D will fade away, maybe V6 will be better than MSFS??? In any event, I will still fly while I am alive and well.
                      Paul Gugliotta

Comment

I removed P3D as soon as the NG for MSFS was released. I just cannot stand the P3D display settings HDR was too bright and HDR off was too dark. As of now I use mostly X-Plane 11 and MSFS is slowly catching up.
                        Jude Bradley
                        System specs: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, i9-9900KF Gigabyte Z390, RTX-2070, 32GB RAM Prepar3D V5 X-Plane 11.50 Beta tester for MS2020
                        http://downloads.pmdg.com/forum/Signatures/PMDG_Banner_777_Pilot.jpg

Comment

My thought, it's actually like you, MSFS has stood the test of time, and it seems to be maturing (concerning the user, the SDK is still a teenager). Keep in mind that P3D was only mature from version 2.
                          I unscrewed P3D from my system and it was a real heartbreak, but I must admit that I used it less, and it took up a lot of space on my little ssd.
                          MSFS is really very beautiful and therefore very immersive; We are far from fs98 where you had to imagine almost everything.

The only thing I regret today with P3D is certainly the long hauls of PMDG and more particularly the 777-200ER, whose career on my system was too short for my taste.
                          Unfortunately I will have to wait a while, before the -200er takes off in MSFS
                          Cédrice Rive 747, MD11, 737, 777

Comment

• Ephedrin
                            Ephedrin commented
                            Editing a comment
                            And it took until v4 until we finally got rid of the Out Of Memory...

• cedrice.rive@yahoo.fr
                            ced[email protected] commented
                            Editing a comment
                            V4 was a very big step forward, although I must admit that XP was a few years ahead of 64-bit integration 🙄

I fly for a VA that only uses A320 with IAE engines, which the Fenix, despite its being almost as good as FSL, doesn't have. Thus, I still need P3d. MSFS still has flaws, but is improving.
                          Bob Zolto

Comment

• sergio8234
                            sergio8234 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I know Fenix said they will be releasing a IAE engine version sometime down the road. They been laser focused on getting stability on the current 320 they got right now as well as modeling their own engine parameters as well. The good thing is FSL has announced many aircrafts coming to MSFS and the 320 Neo is fully confirmed. It is just a matter of when now.

Orbx, Flytampa ,DD-design , and Flight Beams were amount other the top that make P3D just a bit better. Now, thanks to MSFS including the top 4 plus lot of new add on developer has emerged with great airports in MSFS! I am enjoying it, flying better than before!
                          Rolando Olmo

Comment

I would say starting new or not much investment in P3D the better move would be msfs now that the 737-700
                            is out. However, in my case I did invest a lot in P3D and will a 737 the only real scenery advantage is on the approach and landing. The scenery above 8000 really doesn’t make a difference and I focus on flying the plane more than looking out a window. For the person that built a cockpit P3D or XP is a better choice, that will change in the years to come with MSFS. I will say the 737-700 is the most stable plane in MSFS and looking forward to future pmdg 7xx planes. If you also want to fly vfr with small aircraft, this is where msfs shines.
                            Dean Salman

Comment

I don't use P3D V5 since April 27, 2022 I'm really addicted to MSFS, I miss the B777 and the B747 and the 8 and some of my scenarios for now I'm flying in the MSFS default airports things that for me need to be fixed in MSFS the weather and the intelligence engine of the AI ​​Traffic as we know it in P3D for online and offline modes those are my only complaints for the moment the rest I have a great time with MSFS and PMDG 737 hopefully one day the B757, B767 and maybe the B727 will arrive
                              Steven Silva

PMDG 767 for P3D/MSFS

Comment

The only reason to continue flying in P3D is for the addons that haven't (yet) made the jump to MSFS.

Now that PMDG and other High Fidelity airliners are available, the only reason for me to crank up MSFS is for MilViz's T-38 and A2A's Civilian Mustang. Love the way they fly, but it's getting harder and harder to put up with the "Meh" visuals (even with a full-stack Orbx install).
                                Jordan Kilpatrick

Comment

I had some non simmers compare P3D realness with MSFS. I put P3D v 5 on 1 monitor and opened up YouTube and loaded the exact same screenshot in MSGS and compared the two. Everyone thought MSFS looks more realistic. I also also agree. Once the PMDG 777 comes out I will have MSFS installed on a new computer. I guess there is no goIng back. But i wonder if Lockheed will make a V6 with photorealistic scenery
                                  Last edited by Paulyg123; 12Jun2022, 19:27.
                                  Paul Gugliotta

Comment

I simply cannot help but be drawn towards the beautiful look of MSFS - it visually blows P3D out of the water. But in virtually every other respect, particularly in relation to flight dynamics, MSFS is currently falling well short. I certainly couldn’t consider getting rid of P3D just yet.
                                    Flight Sim Guides YouTube Channel

John Price

Comment

No one is making anything for P3D now. When was an airport from FT, DD, FB, etc rolled out for P3D? Everyone is only making MSFS scenery. even PMDG seems laser focused on MSFS. That is my biggest worry about not moving to MSFS no matter how many add-on airports I have already in P3D.
                                      Paul Gugliotta

Comment

• cedrice.rive@yahoo.fr
                                        [email protected] commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        Just look at the FlightSim Community Survey 2021 to understand what drives devs to move forward.
                                        P3d got blown up by MSFS2020 to such an extent that P3d users are almost as numerous as those of fsx! and that only in 1.5 years.
                                        I would have imagined this scenario, me either.

No one is making anything for P3D now. When was an airport from FT, DD, FB, etc rolled out for P3D? Everyone is only making MSFS scenery. even PMDG seems laser focused on MSFS. That is my biggest worry about not moving to MSFS no matter how many add-on airports I have already in P3D.
                                      Huh? Just a quick look at SimMarket, one developer released VABB on April 30th. Another developer released their version 2 of ZBAA on May 26th. One developer released MKJS yesterday. I would agree that there aren't as many things being released for P3D now, but it wouldn't be fair to say that no one is making anything for P3D now.
                                      Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

Kevin. That is good, but really!,,?.. VABB is not in my top 5 places to visit. Neither are the other 2. But the big 4 airports makers have seemed to forget about P3D. the MSFS scenery on approaches look spectacular from what I see on YouTube. Someday::::: no energy now to move to MSFS
                                        Paul Gugliotta

Comment

• Michael Codd
                                          Michael Codd commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          Well VABB should be, Paul. Try landing your PMDG B744/-8 or B777 at its MLW on RWY 27 with its steep glide slope and AS Wx set for a monsoon wet and windy arrival, because that approach and landing will definitely get your adrenaline going and give you something to think about! 🤣

Sure, but my point is there's still airports being released for P3D. They might not be places you want to fly to, they might not be places I want to fly to, but the point is they're there.
                                        Captain Kevin

Kevin Yang

Comment

Felis 747-200 X-Plane 11, for me, tough to beat. DC6 in MSFS a close second. Zebo is a really decent 737 and free.
                                          Still hope that the PMDG 747-400 will land in MSFS before I'm 6ft under. Till then Aerowinx with MSFS as the views works really well.
                                          Many Thanks,
                                          Chris Stanley VTUJ / VTUO

Comment

• Michael Codd
                                            Michael Codd commented
                                            Editing a comment
                                            “Still hope that the PMDG 747-400 will land in MSFS before I'm 6ft under.”

Oh come on, Chris, be positive like the rest of us! 😂
                                        Working...
                                        X