Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

US Airlines Fleet Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Airlines Fleet Questions

The 3 big US carriers all have the 737 family and A320 family at their disposal. Whilst I understand operators swap equipment dependant on needs, do AAL, DAL or UAL have specific bases for each a/c type. For example does AAL only operate/base the 737 from JFK, MIA and LAX and the A320, DFW, ORD, CLT for example? Is there anyway to find this information.

Thanks
    Joe Colehouse

Originally posted by EasternT3 View Post
    The 3 big US carriers all have the 737 family and A320 family at their disposal. Whilst I understand operators swap equipment dependant on needs, do AAL, DAL or UAL have specific bases for each a/c type. For example does AAL only operate/base the 737 from JFK, MIA and LAX and the A320, DFW, ORD, CLT for example? Is there anyway to find this information.

Thanks
    I would assume.you need to get in contact with network planning / fleet planning. SLC I know has the 739s for delta. But it's hard to say. Best confirmation and how it's done if finding out someone who works in the appropriate department for that area.
    Alex Kulak
    PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

• EasternT3
      EasternT3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Alex

One other suggestion, follow the tail number of a specific aircraft on FlightAware and watch that planes circuits over a period of days might give you some idea of the aircrafts domicile or base. It might give you an idea where the circuits seem to begin and end in a repetitive course.
    Victor Green

Comment

• EasternT3
      EasternT3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Victor

Well, the concept of "bases" applies more to crew than airplanes. The airplanes aren't really based anywhere; they fly around the system as necessary for revenue generation, and are positioned as necessary for mx. You would likely find that an aircraft type spent marginally more time flying in and out of a hub where its pilots are domiciled, simply because the trips have to be built that way for crew swap purposes, but it wouldn't be as obvious of a difference as you might think.

You could probably troll Airline Pilot Central for information on where the pilots of various fleet types are domiciled, but be aware that this can change often and what you find may not be up to date. For instance, my airline has had an SFO base for airbus pilots since our merger, but the bid that's currently out will close that base, move the remaining busses to LAX, and open an SFO Boeing base.

I guess the short answer is that where pilots are domiciled doesn't have very much to do with where the airplanes fly.
    Andrew Crowley

Comment

Well, where the pilots are domiciled actually has a lot to do with where the airplanes fly, at least in the sense that for an airline to have, or open, say a 737 base anywhere, there has to be a good deal of 737 activity there. That is, many departures (and, of course, corresponding arrivals). Otherwise, the crew would have to deadhead on many trip pairings out of that airport to get to a place where they could mount a 737 and start working. Stearmandriver above is otherwise correct in his statement that bases applies to crews, not to airplanes.

There have been instances, over the years, where a particular airplane type was flown out of one or maybe two airports - in my early days with AA, when we had 747's, they were all flown between JFK and LAX during much of the time they remained on the property (although from time to time they worked schedules to SFO and also SJU, depending upon the traffic flows). The maintenance for them was at JFK and LAX, and that is perhaps the main sense in which we can think of airplanes being "based" somewhere.

If the original poster is interested in where crews are domiciled, this is more easily obtained - any website serving pilot applicants will have a complete rundown of each airline's crew bases, and these do not change frequently due to the cost of moving crewmembers around. The 737, at least at the big 3, is so ubiquitous that just about every pilot domicile will probably have some 737 crews based there.
      Tony Vallillo

Comment

Thank you for the information, FR24 seems to be providing some useful information
        Joe Colehouse

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Vallillo View Post
          Well, where the pilots are domiciled actually has a lot to do with where the airplanes fly, at least in the sense that for an airline to have, or open, say a 737 base anywhere, there has to be a good deal of 737 activity there. That is, many departures (and, of course, corresponding arrivals). Otherwise, the crew would have to deadhead on many trip pairings out of that airport to get to a place where they could mount a 737 and start working. Stearmandriver above is otherwise correct in his statement that bases applies to crews, not to airplanes.

There have been instances, over the years, where a particular airplane type was flown out of one or maybe two airports - in my early days with AA, when we had 747's, they were all flown between JFK and LAX during much of the time they remained on the property (although from time to time they worked schedules to SFO and also SJU, depending upon the traffic flows). The maintenance for them was at JFK and LAX, and that is perhaps the main sense in which we can think of airplanes being "based" somewhere.

If the original poster is interested in where crews are domiciled, this is more easily obtained - any website serving pilot applicants will have a complete rundown of each airline's crew bases, and these do not change frequently due to the cost of moving crewmembers around. The 737, at least at the big 3, is so ubiquitous that just about every pilot domicile will probably have some 737 crews based there.
          Tony, are any 737 crews based out of Charlotte? That's where I start a lot of my sim flights since it is near my home. KCLT being a former USAIR domicile I know American acquired a lot of Busses during the merger and have wondered if Charlotte is exclusively Air Bus crews who came over with the merger. From what I see 737-800s flying through Charlotte seem to come from other large AAL crew bases. Just curious .
          Victor Green

Comment

• Tony Vallillo
            Tony Vallillo commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll have to see if I still have access to one of the official websites. I would imagine that CLT would be an Airbus base since USAir had fewer 737's by the time of the merger, but one never knows about these things. Of course, that is one of the best parts of flight simulation - you are running your own airline and you can have "bases" wherever you want. Or you can merely simulate an out of base crew picking up a flight after a layover in CLT, which I'm sure happens!

• Lanica
            Lanica commented
            Editing a comment
            That's true. Your system so you own the world

Originally posted by Tony Vallillo View Post
          Well, where the pilots are domiciled actually has a lot to do with where the airplanes fly, at least in the sense that for an airline to have, or open, say a 737 base anywhere, there has to be a good deal of 737 activity there. That is, many departures (and, of course, corresponding arrivals).
          Well sure, but my point was that when you're talking about narrowbody fleets like the 737, they fly everywhere anyway, so crew bases will get marginally more traffic than a non-domicile hub, but it won't be *that* striking of a difference.

If you're talking about heavies that only have a limited route structure then sure, there are non-domicile bases that will never see a certain fleet type. But the narrowbodies will be in and out of all hubs, domicile or not.
          Andrew Crowley

Comment

Seven Threes fly all over the place? You don’t say … Every one of these is a Seven Three of some flavor over North America right now (current ADS-B data as of a minute or two ago).

92CE381B-0BD7-483C-B2C0-DC2E074B83B3.jpg
          Herb Schaltegger - Father, husband, lawyer, engineer & getting too old for this $#!t. Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball!TM.

Comment

Working...
          X