Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

Suggestion: option to have a random switch out of position at cold and dark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mad_X
    commented on 's reply
    If your neighbour happens to be a nice female you could combine option 1 and 2.

If you are not into women, still an option. So many possibilities!

• Steve Dra
    commented on 's reply
    ..."Option 1 wouldn't work for me since I don't have kids. Option 2 wouldn't work, either, since I don't know my neighbors.>

1. Get some. 2. Get to know them. Problem solved.

• Captain Kevin
    replied
    Originally posted by Blood_Monarch View Post
    Because they have already created the Panel states, and from there it is just a matter of including a random number generator and altering a few switches in the saved panel state. Plus, as proof, Andrew coded it in a few hours
    I don't know anything about coding, that's why I asked. I've been around the forums long enough to have seen that what some people think is simple and takes very little work is, in fact, far from that and a lot more complex than people think.

Leave a comment:

• Blood_Monarch
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Kevin View Post

But how do you know for sure it would be very little work.
    Because they have already created the Panel states, and from there it is just a matter of including a random number generator and altering a few switches in the saved panel state. Plus, as proof, Andrew coded it in a few hours

Leave a comment:

• Captain Kevin
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Dra View Post
    Guys.....you are missing the one perfect way to ensure a jumbled cockpit scenario before a flight:

1.Let your 2 year old sit at your keyboard, mouse and flight controls for 5 minutes unattended before each flight. EDIT: Oh yeah...tell him in a very stern voice NOT to touch anything.
    2 Borrow your neighbor's 2 year old and apply method 1. 🤣
    Option 1 wouldn't work for me since I don't have kids. Option 2 wouldn't work, either, since I don't know my neighbors.
    I honestly don't understand why this isn't a standard feature for for all study level aircraft. To add something like this would surely be very little work if it was on the design board at development stage; its essentially just adding in a random number generator.
    But how do you know for sure it would be very little work.

Leave a comment:

• ace2029
    commented on 's reply
    Blood_Monarch Good idea! I'll investigate that Sounds like a great addition!
    Thanks for the feedback - glad the .NET 6 version is working for you.

• Blood_Monarch
    commented on 's reply
    Great thanks Andrew...have downloaded the new file and it runs fine. Will give it a cockpit test later Just out of interest is there a maximum number of switches that can be out of place, a good addition might be to have a selectable range in addition to the % chance, where if the chance of switches being out of place is met, another random generator selects the number to set incorrectly from the user defined range

• ace2029
    commented on 's reply
    Blood_Monarch The app has been updated for .NET 6 - please see the latest file available from flightsim.to

• ace2029
    commented on 's reply
    @Blood_Monarch
    Understood; it was compiled for 5 but I can recompile for 6. Let me check which operating systems have 6 by default; if Win 10+ have .NET6 out of the box then this would be a sensible upgrade.

• Blood_Monarch
    commented on 's reply
    I have a problem already When I try to run it I get a message telling me to install .NET which takes me to a site for .NET 5.0 Runtime, which in turn has a message that its outdated and no longer supported so I installed runtime 6.0 instead...will this only run using runtime 5.0?

Thanks

Mike

• ace2029
    replied
    I will be downloading this and using it .....excellent work ...thanks Andrew
    Glad to hear - my pleasure Mike! Glad to be able to give something back to the flight sim community, however small.
    Please let me know if you have any probs or if you'd like any features added!

Leave a comment:

• Blood_Monarch
    replied
    I will be downloading this and using it .....excellent work ...thanks Andrew

Leave a comment:

• ace2029
    replied
    https://flightsim.to/file/33887/pmdg...nel-randomiser

Leave a comment:

• ace2029
    replied
    The mod has been updated and submitted to Flightsim.to for approval. Once verified I'll post the link here.
    This is the first mod I've created for the community so would appreciate likes/comments etc - it'd also be gratifying to know that others are getting use out of my work

Leave a comment:

• PippoAthleti
    replied
    Originally posted by ace2029 View Post
    Just getting my head around the panel relationships since there are two locations where panel files can be found:

Community\pmdg-aircraft-737\Config\PanelState
    %userprofile%\appdata\local\packages\Microsoft.Fli ghtSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\packages\pmd g-aircraft-737\work\PanelState\

The panel state loaded seems to come from the second folder and any that exist within Community are copied when the sim is loaded. Subsequent changes to the panel file within Community are not reflected until the sim is loaded again.
    Yes I had been using just the second folder as that was what was mentioned in the manual. I'm not sure what the differences are. Maybe the Community is intended to be the unedited default states and the Work folder is for user edits?

Leave a comment:

• Blood_Monarch
    replied
    I honestly don't understand why this isn't a standard feature for for all study level aircraft. To add something like this would surely be very little work if it was on the design board at development stage; its essentially just adding in a random number generator.

Doing the full checklist procedure does become tedious after a while when you know for certain that every switch will be in the correct position.
    Last edited by Blood_Monarch; 26May2022, 10:57.

Leave a comment:

• ace2029
    replied
    Just getting my head around the panel relationships since there are two locations where panel files can be found:

Community\pmdg-aircraft-737\Config\PanelState
    %userprofile%\appdata\local\packages\Microsoft.Fli ghtSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\packages\pmd g-aircraft-737\work\PanelState\

The panel state loaded seems to come from the second folder and any that exist within Community are copied when the sim is loaded. Subsequent changes to the panel file within Community are not reflected until the sim is loaded again.

Leave a comment:

• Aeromar
    replied
    Ok just one thing. Don't get too crazy with this either. Maybe 3% of the times I find switches in the wrong position. The majority of the times I arrive to a cold and dark airplane, the switches are where they need to be.

Leave a comment:

• alex305v
    commented on 's reply
    I can tell you that is more often than you can imagine. I see pilots leave the IRS aligned, window heat on, hydraulic pumps on, emergency lights armed...

• ace2029
    replied
    Test version available at the link below (ZIP file shared from my OneDrive).
    MD5 hash: 48A2E4B188F53E106333679C8E74029E

Installation
    Download the archive from the following link:
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiPksbwkr--zhv1H..._L-XQ?e=3giRmm

Unzip the archive into your community folder. The EXE MUST reside in a subfolder i.e. Community\PMDG Randomiser (name is irrelevant but it must be in a subfolder of Community). If the EXE is in the wrong place you will be prompted as such when you click the "Randomise" button.

Once randomisation is complete (is practically immediate) you can close the EXE and load the sim. Once in sim load the "RandPanel.sav" panel state.

Features
    This version has the following features:
    a) EXE will check that it is located in the correct folder - user will be advised if not
    b) Check for existence of the COLDANDDARK.sav panel state and copy this to a new panel state file "RandPanel.sav"
    c) Randomise the following settings:

Eng Pump Switch A
    Eng Pump Switch B
    GALLEY Switch
    Recirc Fan Switch L
    Recirc Fan Switch R
    Cabin Press Mode Selector
    Bleed Air Switch L
    Bleed Air Switch R
    APU Bleed Air Switch
    L Wiper Control
    R Wiper Control
    Pack Switch L
    Pack Switch R
    Left Inbd DU Brightness
    Left Inbd DU Inner Brightness

For each item the EXE generates a random number between 1 and 100. If the number is greater than 70 the item state is switched.

Once in the sim RandPanel can be loaded as the panel state (and even set as the default).

Future plans
    a) Obtain feedback from fellow pilots and troubleshoot any issues
    b) Include a sliding scale from 1-100 so the user can set their own probability threshold for items changing
    c) Include tickboxes to set fuel and payload to very low quantities
    d) Include other items to be randomised

Leave a comment:

• ace2029
    replied
    Making good progress this morning. Will aim to have a test version available in the next few hours.

Leave a comment:

• Stearmandriver
    replied
    The reality is that any switch in the cockpit could plausibly be out of position if mx has been playing with the airplane. As a crew arriving at a new aircraft, you may not know that they've been there at all, or what they've done, unless it's documented in the logbook. Any actual maintenence certainly will be, but systems testing, crew precautionary inspections, training, and even maintenance taxis / runups, or tows, won't be in the book.

It's plausible that any of these folks could have moved almost anything, intentionally or otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• ace2029
    replied
    Ok I've got the guts of it working with the first option (Eng Pump Switch A)
    Essentially for each option it generates a random number (0-100). If the number is greater than 70 the value is changed, if not it moves onto the next option.
    I could make the probability as a sliding scale so you could set your own threshold for the random number generator.

The rest of it should be straightforward copy/paste but I'm going to grab some sleep first

Leave a comment:

• Mad_X
    commented on 's reply
    If I do that I do not have to worry about my flightsim anymore, I need to worry about calling the fire brigade.

• Mad_X
    commented on 's reply
    This must not be tied to GFO but I fear it will. I do not need GFO but I hate that features that other have implemented are purposefully hold back (ACARS, CPDLC, the random swithces etc.) in order to promote it. I do not need it. I want my set of liveries that I got from the painters I know are accurate down to the rivets, and I log my flights elsewhere.

• ace2029
    replied
    Originally posted by PippoAthleti View Post
    Hi Andrew, before I saw your message I have actually turned my script into a rough and ready web app, to avoid people having to install anything. But please don't let that stop you making something more advanced if you were planning it - Otherwise please let me know if any comments or suggestions:

https://randomcd.eu.pythonanywhere.com/
    All I had envisioned (in the broad strokes) was a Windows .exe that would check that a) it was in the correct folder (community) and if not inform the user that it needed to be in that location, b) if the random panel .sav file already existed (and remove if so) then copy the COLDDARK.sav as a template c) randomise some of the values based on the above suggestions and save the randpanel.sav file. In that way the randpanel.sav could be saved as the default startup file.

So essentially very similar to your script but with a little extra checking etc. Essentially press one button and it does it all for you.
    Working on it as we speak - will have a test version ready asap.

Leave a comment:

• PippoAthleti
    replied
    Hi Andrew, before I saw your message I have actually turned my script into a rough and ready web app, to avoid people having to install anything. But please don't let that stop you making something more advanced if you were planning it - Otherwise please let me know if any comments or suggestions:

https://randomcd.eu.pythonanywhere.com/

Leave a comment:

• ace2029
    replied
    I'd be interested in taking a look at this, I've messed around with both Python and C#/WinForms so could possibly cook something up requiring .NET 5 which should be available (at least Win 10+).

If anyone else is working on it then absolutely fine but please let me know if this is something you'd like me to look at. Off work the next few days so can do it during cruise

Leave a comment:

• Steve Dra
    replied
    Guys.....you are missing the one perfect way to ensure a jumbled cockpit scenario before a flight:

1.Let your 2 year old sit at your keyboard, mouse and flight controls for 5 minutes unattended before each flight. EDIT: Oh yeah...tell him in a very stern voice NOT to touch anything.
    2 Borrow your neighbor's 2 year old and apply method 1. 🤣

Leave a comment:

• PippoAthleti
    replied
    Thank you Omar! I have made a script that randomly throws in 0-2 of your common ones and then 0-1 of some other random ones I made, and generates a RandomColdDark.SAV file that I drop in my PMDG folder, and it is set as my default aircraft startup state. This will keep me on my toes on my startups 🙂

I have not been able to do the Trim because when I load my custom state, whilst the custom forward trim is shown when I hover over the trim wheel, the trim wheel and indicator itself remains at default position, so it is no good for visual inspection. The trim then jumps to the correct state position if I interact with the trim wheel at all. I guess this is a bug with the state saving/loading, or a limitation of MSFS.

If others are interested in this too I will try to think of the best way to share. Thanks again !
    Last edited by PippoAthleti; 24May2022, 12:08.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X