Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

Tutorial problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tutorial problem

Hello guys.
    I'm trying to get back to fly the 737 the right way, so I decided to follow the tutorial that came with the aircraft for MSFS 2020.
    The problem I have is that the tutorial has many errors, many typos, that can cause problems during FMC setup. But even with those errors I was doing pretty good all the way to TOD. I did everything according to the tutorial but I ended up with an warning (EFIS/NAV disagree) or something like that during the descent on the copilot side. I got to the point where the aircraft stopped descending when I was about 10.000 FT so I decided to close the flight to try again latter. The biggest problem I saw was during the route setup, I got a message on the scratchpad that there was no path after BRIXX, which was not the case on the tutorial, but it does say there that, and I quote "Many sim pilots will remove this by selecting CEPIN and line selecting it over the VECTOR entry. This is incorrect and should be avoided. This is of course after BRIXX, so I didn't know what to do. I think that is part of the problem. Also, during the setup, the legs page in y case doesn't show the "activate option" like it shows on the tutorial but ratter it shows only "steps" so I ended up activating the route page. It did worked but I want to make sure that was the correct option. I would really appreciate if PMDG can update the tutorial so it can be done properly. I understand the weights maybe different so that is ok, but if the idea is to provide the user with the right information, the tutorial is a crucial step to a successful flight all the way to the tarmac.
    The tutorial on P3D was very similar except it was from KLAS to KSAN and with very similar problems.

David Pineda
    Last edited by perohijo; 12May2022, 23:58.

Let's agree that aviation is a very technical field, so it's important that we communicate with each other with the correct terminology and use references when available. I'm not aware of a EFIS/NAV DISAGREE message but it resembles something I've seen but a search of my documentation comes up empty. Maybe it was EFIS MODE/NAV FREQ DISAGREE?

I spent time during beta proof reading the tutorial so if there are still "many error" or typos please point those out for us.

The tutorial tells you what to do after BRIXX, "the approach controller will vector you between BRIXX and CEPIN to establish you on the approach." So what you do is self-vector. Following the VECTOR of 140 deg from BRIXX use your ND display to turn a base and then a final intercept course to CEPIN at or above 3000.

You saw STEPS because your EFIS was not in MAP mode but rather in the PLN mode. The PLN mode is used to step through the segments on the LEGS pages to verify the route. Set the mode back to MAP to see that ACTIVATE prompt.

Not sure why you stopped descending at 10,000. Cross BRIXX at 11000 per charted procedure then during your self-vectors to CEPIN change from VNAV (if that is the mode you were in ) to either FL CHG or V/S modes and reset MCP ALT to 3000 and cross CEPIN on the localizer at 3000.

It's not a bad idea to repeat the Tutorial several times until you are comfortable with every step.

Dan Downs KCRP
    i7-10700K 32GB 3600MHz 3080Ti

Comment

• perohijo
      perohijo commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello Dan.
      You are correct, it was EFIS MODE/NAV FREQ DISAGREE. I have already closed the flight so I missed the message as it really was, but looking at your response I think that's exactly what it was. I did notice that most of the issues on the tutorial was typos on the frequencies. You mention that I saw "steps" because my EFIS was not in MAP mode, so if that's correct, it means the tutorial is not correct since I was following every step according to it, so it if what you say is correct then the tutorial would be in MAP mode as well and show the same screen correct? In any case, I do remember when I did the tutorial on P3D there were some discrepancies as well that, if i remember correctly were never fixed on that tutorial. But here is the thing. The aircraft is pretty complex so stand to reason that the tutorial should be as accurate as possible, specially if you keep in mind the fact that it takes quite a while from beginning to end. It can be really frustrating and unfortunately, not everyone has the time to start all over again right away. I did notice as well that when I was climbing i paused the flight to take look at the tutorial again, since everything goes so quick, and when I came back to the flight, the aircraft had the autopilot disconnected and it was almost about to stall. do not know why it did that because everything was working as it should during climb.

David Pineda

I too followed the steps of the tutorial. Three times in fact, the first times the plane refused to climb above about 14000 foot or so, VS was getting lower and lower until no VS anymore. No fault indications. The third time I decided to set cruise altitude 25000, set CLB profile, not CLB-2, and no derated N1. That got me to FL250. Only... I got to the vector point, decided to fly manually, as now is mentioned here too, almost ran in a hill though, and plunged about 200 feet before the runway treshold in the water- out of fuel. I suppose because of a lower FL I burnt way more fuel. Of course I should have diverted before, but, well, I thought, let's still try the tutorial flight.
    MSFS2020 PMDG B737 & DC-6 | Virpil Stick & Collective | RTX 3090 | I910900K @4.9 | Reverb G2

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      I too followed the steps of the tutorial. Three times in fact, the first times the plane refused to climb above about 14000 foot or so, VS was getting lower and lower until no VS anymore. No fault indications. The third time I decided to set cruise altitude 25000, set CLB profile, not CLB-2, and no derated N1. That got me to FL250. Only... I got to the vector point, decided to fly manually, as now is mentioned here too, almost ran in a hill though, and plunged about 200 feet before the runway treshold in the water- out of fuel. I suppose because of a lower FL I burnt way more fuel. Of course I should have diverted before, but, well, I thought, let's still try the tutorial flight.
      Unable to climb above 14000 has nothing to do with the N1 limit you are using, it indicates a much different problem but without enough information I can only guess, and guesses aren't worth much. Are you using FSUIPC?
      Dan Downs KCRP

Comment

Originally posted by DDowns View Post

I spent time during beta proof reading the tutorial so if there are still "many error" or typos please point those out for us.
        Dan -- I took some time to walk through the text and directions of the Tutorial PDF. There are some items that definitely require correction or refinement. I marked up the PDF accordingly. Please let me know the best way to transmit that to you.

Sincerely,
        Dan
        Dan Jaffe

Comment

Originally posted by Iadbound View Post

Dan -- I took some time to walk through the text and directions of the Tutorial PDF. There are some items that definitely require correction or refinement. I marked up the PDF accordingly. Please let me know the best way to transmit that to you.

Sincerely,
          Dan
          I'm just a beta tester, I'm not a PMDG employee. Best this to do with the markups is to attach to a support ticket. Many thanks in advance for doing this.
          Dan Downs KCRP

Comment

I'm just a beta tester, I'm not a PMDG employee. Best this to do with the markups is to attach to a support ticket. Many thanks in advance for doing this.
            Understood. I will send it along to PMDG directly.
            Dan Jaffe

Comment

So what you do is self-vector. Following the VECTOR of 140 deg from BRIXX use your ND display to turn a base and then a final intercept course to CEPIN at or above 3000.
              So do we have to switch to HDG SEL to manually heading to 100° (like is written in the tutorial)?

Sergio Donato

Comment

Originally posted by Leclettico View Post

So do we have to switch to HDG SEL to manually heading to 100° (like is written in the tutorial)?
                You mean when on the vectors 140 deg segment? Yes, there's only two ways to turn to the left base and that's either HDG SEL or just manually fly the airplane. Use your ND display to visualize what you want your path to look like.

You are diverging from the approach course so I wait until I abeam CEPIN then turn left to 050 for my base leg then when it looks about right on the ND one more left turn to something between 315 and 330 that gives me an intercept final course. Remember, ideally you want to be on a 30 deg intercept final course but that can vary.

A good starting point is to watch live traffic on Flightaware or 24Radar (or whatever that site is called).
                Dan Downs KCRP

Comment

Just to add to David: EFIS MODE/NAV FREQ DISAGREE means your nav receivers are not tuned to the correct ILS frequency.
                  Make sure both receivers are tuned correct and the course selectors on both capt’s and fo’s side are at the correct ILS course.
                  René Moelaert EHLE

Comment

Working...
                  X