Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

Landing Gear Retraction and Extension

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Landing Gear Retraction and Extension

    Hey guys, using the honeycomb bravo throttle quadrant, anyone had any issues with gear retraction and extension? The gear will not retract after take off, it will get stuck as 3 greens and 3 reds and I will recycle the gear lever and then it retracts fine. And then on landing, the main gear will extend, but not the nose gear, but then I recycle and it extends. Not sure if it's a honeycomb issue or a PMDG issue. I saw Fabio had this same issue during the early days.

    Cheers

    ----------
    Dino. P
    Dino P.

    #2
    Moosestuffa had that same problem when He was streaming. It's a problem with the honeycomb when you assign the landing gear handle on the bravo to the landing gear.
    Samuel A Cramer

    Comment


      #3
      Retraction works fine for me. The issue is that MSFS is designed for press and hold not just press. So if you press the button for gear up and then want to move it to off position manually it won't let you. Because it is still holding it up. As far as cycling recycling. My advice is this. Copy MSFS default profile for all your controllers name it my default and delete absolutely every single assignment except cameras from my default. And then start creating profiles for your individual planes. More complex planes run into conflicts with some obscure defaults assignments that could cause issues.
      Aleks Matrosov

      Comment


      • Benjamin_K
        Benjamin_K commented
        Editing a comment
        Note that in the Honeycomb Bravo there is no OFF position for the gear lever. It's either UP or DOWN.
        In my short while of flying this magnificent 737 I noticed the retraction did not work except after recycling the gear handle in the air. I did not investigate this further by now.

        Thanks
        Benjamin K

      • matrosov
        matrosov commented
        Editing a comment
        Benjamin_K you can make retraction and deployment work with Bravo. Flip trigger to release instead of press and then invert the assignments ie. assign gear up command to gear down button on bravo and gear down command to gear up button. You'd get yourself up and down working properly and then off you'd have to do manually via mouse click.

      • fitzroymckay
        fitzroymckay commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you matrosov, your solution worked for me!

        Roy M
        Last edited by fitzroymckay; 12May2022, 17:36.

      #4
      Same problem for me using the TCA Airbus full set
      You can actually hear the wind from extending gear then it goes back to quiet
      it happened all flight long
      Joe Karout

      Comment


        #5
        Same here on my first flight with it, also the Honeycomb Bravo Throttle. Thanks for the tip !

        Ben van Boom
        Ben van Boom

        Comment


          #6
          I haven't had a problem as yet with the Bravo. I have done 4 flights so far. But what I did was what was suggested for the DC-6. Which was pretty much like what Mr. Matrosov stated above.
          I deleted ALL the default profiles in the Primary and Secondary flight controls (and whatever other buttons you want to use) except the camera views, and assigned them to what I wanted.

          Here is a good video for it.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAVi...st=WL&index=17
          Brian Murphy FSX- 747-400 / MD-11 / MSFS DC-6/ 737-700

          Comment


            #7
            Gents-

            I have this as a subject in a video that hasn't finished production yet- but it is a driven by the fact that the MSFS gear control hardware logic does not account for the fact that a gear switch might have more than a simple UP/DOWN position. In the case of all the 737s (and 747-400) you have a three position gear lever, and if you assign your two position hardware to the up/down calls in MSFS, you are going to find that you have all kinds of issues in flight because the the hardware is sending it's switch position to the sim EVERY FRAME and trying to force-override the simulation of the aircraft systems.

            The end result can be that the gear handle in the airplane moves unexpectedly, or that you get the gear handle in the UP position when you think it is down, or down when you think it is up.

            I spent about a week trying to code around this problem, but haven't yet succeeded. Given the importance of not wasting process time with superfluous activity, I'm surprised MSFS is hammering away on the hardware signals this way, but...

            Our recommendation for now is to experiment with your hardware to find a setting that succeeds in moving the handle to the desired position without cycling it or moving it unexpectedly. Your results will vary a bit based upon your hardware, so it is hard to give advice that is universal.
            Robert S. Randazzo
            PMDG Simulations
            http://www.pmdg.com


            Comment


              #8
              This same controller-bind issue exists in the amazing Wing42 Boeing 247D for MSFS. That aircraft too uses a 3-position gear mechanism (electrically operated) and if the pilot leaves the gear lever UP instead of returning it to neutral, you will likely burn out the (simulated) fuse in the system and have to replace in flight. Fun level of detail.

              But in any event, my only personal “workaround” is to manually click and move the gear handle, as I don’t have three-position switch/lever handy on any of my hardware control devices.
              Last edited by DrVenkman; 10May2022, 18:19. Reason: typos
              Herb Schaltegger - Father, husband, lawyer, engineer & getting too old for this $#!t. Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball!TM.

              Comment


                #9
                My CG must be perfect.
                I managed to land and taxi like this:

                No NG - 1.jpg
                Olof Ekbergh
                Com GA Pilot, Retired • X-P 11.50 RC1 or latest • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen.

                Comment


                  #10
                  Originally posted by Frodo2090 View Post
                  Moosestuffa had that same problem when He was streaming. It's a problem with the honeycomb when you assign the landing gear handle on the bravo to the landing gear.
                  g1.png g2.png I set it up with on-release. It seems to work just fine, but I still have to click on the lever with the mouse to get into middle position.
                  Attached Files
                  Espen Torgersen

                  Comment


                  • Quasiguru
                    Quasiguru commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This worked like a charm, thank you

                  • peerluk
                    peerluk commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Simple and it worked great, thanks!

                  • Bill Rowe
                    Bill Rowe commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Many thanks to you Espen! This works beautifully

                  #11
                  This could be handled, probably in a script with Axis and Ohs. I will check into it.
                  Mark "Crabby" Crabtree AAL311 | PHL
                  I7-9700KF | 2070 Super | Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo | MFG Crosswind

                  Comment


                  • SimPilot777
                    SimPilot777 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I tried and no avail,let us know if it worked for you

                  • Crabby
                    Crabby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Try this. Copy and paste into an RPN script then assigne
                    Gear down
                    536870912·(>K:#70087)
                    Gear up
                    -2147483648·(>K:#70087)

                    When I get time I will write a script that will raise the gear and wait 10 minutes and set the gear handle in sim to off, then another that will raise the handle up and then down when gear is lowered. Maybe tonight. Depends on when I get tired of flying lol.

                  #12
                  Hi I have no clue what scripts are, but I cant get the landing gear to work. I am also confused when Rob says experiment with your hardware? I am unsure what I can do other than move the landing gear leaver on my the Bravo throttle up and down which seams to have no logical result. Sometimes I have the nose gear down some time all goes up but wont come down, etc.
                  This is so far making the plain unusable unless I am happy to do a full flight with the landing gear down. or do a gear up landing

                  Please note the bravo landing gear works absolutely fine in all other aircraft.

                  Any suggestions would be appreciated as I don't seam to be able to get the gear to work by mouse clicking etc.Would it be possible for PMDG just to give us the option of a simple up and down landing gear switch as in other aircraft for those of us with this issue
                  Thanks in advance if you can help.
                  best wishes.
                  Bob Laycock
                  Last edited by rlaycock; 11May2022, 09:02.
                  Bob Laycock

                  Comment


                    #13
                    Originally posted by rlaycock View Post
                    Hi I have no clue what scripts are, but I cant get the landing gear to work. I am also confused when Rob says experiment with your hardware? I am unsure what I can do other than move the landing gear leaver on my the Bravo throttle up and down which seams to have no logical result. Sometimes I have the nose gear down some time all goes up but wont come down, etc.
                    This is so far making the plain unusable unless I am happy to do a full flight with the landing gear down. or do a gear up landing

                    Please note the bravo landing gear works absolutely fine in all other aircraft.

                    Any suggestions would be appreciated as I don't seam to be able to get the gear to work by mouse clicking etc.
                    Thanks in advance if you can help.
                    best wishes.
                    Bob Laycock
                    None other plane has a 3 position gear lever if not mistaken. For now the workaround is either remove the gear assignments from Bravo and use the mouse or G.
                    Use a 3rd party program like FSUIPC


                    Chris Makris (Olympic260)
                    PMDG Technical Support
                    http://www.pmdg.com

                    Comment


                      #14
                      I use FSUIPC and have no issues with selecting the gear up or down with my Bravo quadrant, the only thing I obviously must do with the mouse is select the gear to off. Otherwise it works perfectly.
                      Mateus Sutherland

                      Comment


                        #15
                        Hey all,

                        There is a solution for the Bravo that someone posted already, seems to work perfectly for me. No need for scripts, although I have not tried it with any other aircraft yet, so not sure if it has undesirable outcomes there.

                        The trick is simple to switch the down and up commands:

                        Down: Button 31
                        Up: Button 32

                        Then the trick is to set it to Action Type to On Release for both.
                        Then to switch to the gear off position just mouse click it to the off position.

                        Give it a go!

                        Anthony
                        Anthony Milner

                        Comment


                          #16
                          Hi all
                          Thanks for the reply. I have chosen to create a new profile for Bravo throttle for PMDG 737 ONLY.
                          Then remove the gear control
                          I don't understand the reply which stated "None other plane has a 3 position gear lever if not mistaken" but I took the advice given. So for now I can at least fly the 737 using the G key to control the landing gear. Perhaps in the future PMDG will find a better solution but at least I can now use the aircraft.

                          Best wishes.
                          Bob Laycock
                          Bob Laycock

                          Comment


                            #17
                            Originally posted by rlaycock View Post
                            I don't understand the reply which stated "None other plane has a 3 position gear lever if not mistaken" but I took the advice given. So for now I can at least fly the 737 using the G key to control the landing gear. Perhaps in the future PMDG will find a better solution but at least I can now use the aircraft.
                            The landing gear handle has three positions. Up, down, and off. Most hardware, like the Bravo Throttle, only has two positions for the landing gear handle. Up and down.
                            Captain Kevin

                            Kevin Yang

                            Comment


                              #18
                              I have similar issues on my TCA Boeing setup. When I re-cycle the lever down/up after it sticks, it seems to retract just fine. However, I'll go in an double check my assignments now that I'm hearing all of this double/triple yahoo stuff. I've only had three completed flights so far (after one maiden voyage CTD) but the gear retraction after takeoff is a noticeable glitch for sure. Back to it this afternoon (also will be trying to rectify the nosewheel steering issue spoken of in other threads). Still love this bird!!
                              Warmest Regards,
                              -Jim Engelke

                              Comment


                                #19
                                Mods could you paste a solution from one of the threads on the subject and pin it Seems to be the most frequent issue for people. .
                                Aleks Matrosov

                                Comment


                                  #20
                                  I am using the Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS joystick and throttle controllers. In all airplanes, in all platforms, I've always use the lever at the base of the stick placed on the forward side as a landing gear toggle. In MSFS I simply assign that lever (switch) the the native toggle gear action. This eliminates the complexity of separate gear up and gear down actions.

                                  There is a button on the base of the stick very close to the lever that I use for gear off action. The button is assigned to a RPN script with AAO that mimics a mouse click on the button, 45501 (>K:ROTOR_BRAKE).

                                  This set up worked flawlessly throughout the beta testing.
                                  Dan Downs KCRP
                                  i7-10700K 32GB 3600MHz 3080Ti

                                  Comment


                                    #21
                                    Dan, what do you use for steering axis? In P3d I used the slider on the right side of the Warthog.
                                    Bob Zolto

                                    Comment


                                      #22
                                      Originally posted by DFWSupertrooper View Post
                                      I have similar issues on my TCA Boeing setup. When I re-cycle the lever down/up after it sticks, it seems to retract just fine. However, I'll go in an double check my assignments now that I'm hearing all of this double/triple yahoo stuff. I've only had three completed flights so far (after one maiden voyage CTD) but the gear retraction after takeoff is a noticeable glitch for sure. Back to it this afternoon (also will be trying to rectify the nosewheel steering issue spoken of in other threads). Still love this bird!!
                                      I have this same issue with the Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke. The gear selector is set to a single button “18 for me on/off) in windows game control panel. The recommendation for the Honeycomb users do not work on the Boeing yoke. I had to remove key assignments and use the G key for now.
                                      Dan Moore

                                      Comment


                                        #23
                                        Originally posted by Bob_Z View Post
                                        Dan, what do you use for steering axis? In P3d I used the slider on the right side of the Warthog.
                                        Hi Bob: I found a dirt cheap joystick, Thrustmaster USB Joystick $20, and use the roll axis for tiller. Sometimes I have to give it a little bump to get it centered (it is cheap) but it does the job very inexpensively. I have friends that use the slider on the throttle, but I use that for spoiler axis in jets and propeller pitch in the DC-6.
                                        Dan Downs KCRP
                                        i7-10700K 32GB 3600MHz 3080Ti

                                        Comment


                                          #24
                                          How did you set up the gear in FSUIPC
                                          Shawn Hoffman

                                          Comment


                                            #25
                                            In FSUIPC I went to "buttons and switches" assignments and put the gear handle up, then ticked "Select for FS control" then from the drop down box below that "Control Sent When Button Pressed" I simply assigned Gear Up as the action when that button is activated. Then did the same for gear down.
                                            This allows the handle to work as it should and you just use the mouse to select the gear to OFF.
                                            Mateus Sutherland

                                            Comment


                                              #26
                                              Originally posted by Antic81 View Post
                                              Hey all,

                                              There is a solution for the Bravo that someone posted already, seems to work perfectly for me. No need for scripts, although I have not tried it with any other aircraft yet, so not sure if it has undesirable outcomes there.

                                              The trick is simple to switch the down and up commands:

                                              Down: Button 31
                                              Up: Button 32

                                              Then the trick is to set it to Action Type to On Release for both.
                                              Then to switch to the gear off position just mouse click it to the off position.

                                              Give it a go!

                                              Anthony
                                              rsrandazzo I can indeed confirm that this method works perfectly for the PMDG 737 (and still works as it should for the other Asobo planes as well)
                                              Thank you very much for this tip Anthony! 😎
                                              Robin Heinis FSX-SE (DX10)..PMDG MD-11/NGX/777/747.."PMDG made EZ" (EZdok/ChasePlane profile pack)..the usual addons..PC specs: Intel i7 4790K ..GTX1080..16 GB..W7 64bit

                                              Comment


                                                #27
                                                Originally posted by Antic81 View Post
                                                Hey all,

                                                There is a solution for the Bravo that someone posted already, seems to work perfectly for me. No need for scripts, although I have not tried it with any other aircraft yet, so not sure if it has undesirable outcomes there.

                                                The trick is simple to switch the down and up commands:

                                                Down: Button 31
                                                Up: Button 32

                                                Then the trick is to set it to Action Type to On Release for both.
                                                Then to switch to the gear off position just mouse click it to the off position.

                                                Give it a go!

                                                Anthony
                                                Yup, this is the star post. It fixes my problem also with the Bravo Quadrant. It looks like this is the end of my nose wheel failing to extend worries on every flight, having to use the emergency wheel extension handle (I have no failures set in the aircraft).

                                                Last edited by jumpjet; 12May2022, 01:52. Reason: added info
                                                Graham L

                                                W11 Pro 21H2 32 GB [email protected] MHz, Ryzen 5900x, Merc 319 6800XT, GB X570 Aorus Master, 2x1TB Nvme SSD, 2x1TB SATA SSD, 1x8TB HDD, 48TB Synology NAS, 6TB Asustor NAS, 2x1440p LCD

                                                Comment


                                                  #28
                                                  Originally posted by DDowns View Post

                                                  Hi Bob: I found a dirt cheap joystick, Thrustmaster USB Joystick $20, and use the roll axis for tiller. Sometimes I have to give it a little bump to get it centered (it is cheap) but it does the job very inexpensively. I have friends that use the slider on the throttle, but I use that for spoiler axis in jets and propeller pitch in the DC-6.
                                                  Hi all
                                                  Thanks for all the explanations and help. DDowns This may well be a good solution for me. Idon't bother changing the leavers on the Bravo throttle, therefore the 737 was only using one (Throttle linked for both engines). I configured a second for the speed brake, so I still have 4 to play with I will try and get one to control the gear. In the meantime G works just fine.

                                                  And to PMDG I congratulate you. This really is a magnificent add on It is so detailed yet runs so smooth, it is impressive. Furthermore as I bought the NGXu for P3D way back in 2019, It so far has not cost me single $
                                                  Best wishes.
                                                  Bob
                                                  Bob Laycock

                                                  Comment


                                                    #29
                                                    Can't set "On Release". It just clears when I save.

                                                    Edit: Discovered that the release will only stick, if you change an existing entry. That is, the "release" will not stick if you set it the first time you program the gear lever (from blank). You have to assign a button, then exit, then re-enter and change to "release" for it to stick.
                                                    Last edited by smoothppp; 12May2022, 10:33.
                                                    Robert Edwards

                                                    Comment


                                                      #30
                                                      Originally posted by rsrandazzo View Post
                                                      Gents-

                                                      I have this as a subject in a video that hasn't finished production yet- but it is a driven by the fact that the MSFS gear control hardware logic does not account for the fact that a gear switch might have more than a simple UP/DOWN position. In the case of all the 737s (and 747-400) you have a three position gear lever, and if you assign your two position hardware to the up/down calls in MSFS, you are going to find that you have all kinds of issues in flight because the the hardware is sending it's switch position to the sim EVERY FRAME and trying to force-override the simulation of the aircraft systems.

                                                      The end result can be that the gear handle in the airplane moves unexpectedly, or that you get the gear handle in the UP position when you think it is down, or down when you think it is up.

                                                      I spent about a week trying to code around this problem, but haven't yet succeeded. Given the importance of not wasting process time with superfluous activity, I'm surprised MSFS is hammering away on the hardware signals this way, but...

                                                      Our recommendation for now is to experiment with your hardware to find a setting that succeeds in moving the handle to the desired position without cycling it or moving it unexpectedly. Your results will vary a bit based upon your hardware, so it is hard to give advice that is universal.
                                                      Big blooper there, Captain, as I'm sure you'll remember the MAX (that we'll be seeing from you guys) has a two-position gear switch!
                                                      Ilari Kousa, Finland

                                                      Comment

                                                      Working...
                                                      X