Announcement

Collapse

PMDG Forum Rules

1) SIGN YOUR POSTS. Since 1997, we have asked users to sign their real name, first and last, to all posts in the PMDG forum. We do this in order to keep conversations personal and familiar. You took the time to be here, we want to get to know you. This is one of the few rigid rules that we enforce regularly. We do so because we feel that forums in which users must engage one another personally are generally warmer, more collegial and friendly. Posts that are unsigned will be quietly removed without comment by the moderators, so to make your life easy- we recommend enabling your forum signature so that you never need to remember. Do this by clicking the username pull-down at the top right, then selecting "User Settings." You will find the signature editor on the ACCOUNT tab, about half way down the page. Look for "Edit Post Signature." Be sure to click the "Show Signatures" box.

2) BE NICE. We are all simmers here and no matter our differences of opinion, we share a common love of aviation, computing and simulation. Treat everyone else in the forum with respect even when you disagree. If someone frustrates you, walk away from the conversation or ask for a moderator to get involved. Speaking of Moderators, they prefer not to be treated as "The Thought Police" but if any behavior infringes on the enjoyment of another user or is otherwise considered to be unacceptable in the moderator's judgment, it will be addressed in keeping with our view of ensuring that this forum remains a healthy environment for all simmers.

3) BE LAWFUL: Any behavior that infringes upon the law, such as discussion or solicitation of piracy, threats, intimidation or abuse will be handled unsympathetically by the moderators. Threats and intimidation may, at the moderator's discretion, be provided to law enforcement for handling.

4) BE FACTUAL: When you post, always be factual. Moderators will remove posts that are determined not to be factually accurate.

5) RESPECT COPYRIGHTS: Posting of copyrighted material such as flight manuals owned by Boeing or various airlines is not allowed in this forum. If you have questions related to copyrighted material, please contact a forum moderator for clarification.

6) RESPECT PMDG: We love to hear what you like about our products. We also like to hear what you think can be improved, or what isn't working. Please do tell us and we will always treat your feedback with value. Just be sure to treat the team respectfully, as they do put a significant amount of effort into building and maintaining these great simulation products for you.

7) RESPECT PMDG DEVELOPERS: All of the developers will spend some time here. Given the ratio of developers-to-users, it simply isn't possible for us to answer every post and private message individually. Please know that we do try to read everything, but developer workload is simply too high to manage personal contact with tens-of-thousands of users simultaneously. In most cases, members of the development team will stick to conversations in the forum and will not answer private messages.

8) RESPECT OTHER DEVELOPERS: PMDG has always advocated for a strong development community and we have many friends within this community. Every developer offers something unique that helps to make the simming community larger and more vibrant. We insist that you treat our friends respectfully.

9) RESPECT MODERATORS: Moderators have a tough job, and none of them enjoy having to stomp out negativity. If a moderator has to weigh in to keep a thread peaceful, please respect that effort and refrain from giving the moderator any grief.

10) If you require official support for any of our products please open a support ticket through the support portal, https://support.precisionmanuals.com

11) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of pricing policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, advertising of non-PMDG products, promotion of events, services or products that are not approved in advance by PMDG or any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator

12) HAVE FUN: This is the whole point of it all.
See more
See less

Reverse Thrust - Toggle button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse Thrust - Toggle button

Guys, to PMDG 737 for MSFS

Someone have a button to toggle reverse thrust? To me that doesn't work during the landing, so the alternative was press F2 to REV.

In others aircrafts, I use the throttle axis normally pressing a button to toggle to REV Thrust and that worked fine until PMDG 737, there is a way to set this directly on aircraft?

EDIT: Maybe I wasn't clear to explain the situation, this post will show the situtation.

Originally posted by aceridgey View Post
    I think people are confusing two different things.

In MSFS, one can click a button (on any hardware) and this activates the reverse axis. You then use your normal throttle axis but it's in the reverse detent now.

It's lacking in the pmdg but in other addons without issue
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by pedrohenriquegs; 10May2022, 18:49.
    Pedro H. Gomes

Intel Core i9-9900K @ 4.8 | ASUS KO RTX 3070 | 32GB RAM DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000 Mhz | 3x 23,8" ASUS VP249QGR

Im wondering the same thing, I just got the honeycomb bravo but cannot figure out how to get reverse to work properly.
    -Mike Iacovetta

Comment

Might need to get FSUIPC and or Xs and Ohs to se those.. I've been using FSUIPC perfectly fine the NG3 just have to use the msfs controller settings for the tiller (prop 1 axis + rudder in the fmc)
      Alex Kulak
      PMDG Studier and flyer

Comment

Actually I think there is a toggle button. I remember setting one long ago. I'll check once I get home from work in a couple hours.
        Yoshi Elder

Comment

Quick and dirty just assign reversers to decrease throttle 1 decrease throttle 2. When at idle it'll engage reverse thrust up to max. To disengage it you'd just move levers forward a bit. If you want full range of from idle to max you'd need to start playing with LVARS and HVARS in FSUIPC or SpadNEXt.
          Aleks Matrosov

Comment

Great. Bought a 737 and a boeing yoke/throttle only to have to d*ck around in third-party software to bind basic flight controls.
            Aerosoft did the same thing with their CRJs.
            Come on PMDG, it can't be that hard to bind your custom throttle quadrant code to native sim events...
            Johann "Martus" Martusinko

Comment

• matrosov
              matrosov commented
              Editing a comment
              Harder than you think since not one complex plane on MS sim platforms was able to do that. That's what gave the rise to FSUIPC Axis and Oh's etc. It's more of a sandbox interaction issue than PMDG specific issue they all struggle with it in MS space. That's why I switched to Xplane ages ago and never looked back except for PMDG boeings. .

• Crabby
              Crabby commented
              Editing a comment
              The purchase of a plane and control system does not mean you might not want/need to do other things outside of the default sim. I can give you dozens of reasons you want to get Axis and Ohs or SpadNext and none of them will be "just so you can set up thrust reverse". The in sim binding is limited to what Asobo thinks you need and want. AAO and SpadNext frees you from that.

• GrCaptain
              GrCaptain commented
              Editing a comment
              No offence, but that is a naive and uninformed comment lol.

Can confirm the pmdg is not set up for this, hopefully the next update can implement the default msfs function as it's really great.
            A Ridge

Comment

As I understand it this isn’t as much a PMDG issue as it is a Honeycomb issue. Why they have the area aft of the stop as a button instead of a continuation of the axis is beyond me. Course that causes issues for the realism of the lift up handles, but I can’t find any binding for “toggle reverse” that maps to just one engine, so I’ve always used throttlex_decrease tied to lifted reverser handle on the bravo for Boeing and bound to the button aft of the detent for Airbus. Not sure how they’d make the lifter an axis for more fine control, but that should work with both native MS control mapping and external feeders like AnO.
              Peter Clark

Comment

I watched Chewwy’s video on setting up key bindings as I had the same problem with the maddog and you have to set the reverser switch on your throttle to ‘hold reverse thrust’.

Skip to 12:30 on the video:

https://youtu.be/0Jrl8Aew-zc

Scott Griffiths

Comment

• matrosov
                  matrosov commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah I just do it the lazy way on honeycomb assign decrease throttle to reversers and they go full reverse when throttles are in idle.

Originally posted by Peter Clark View Post
                As I understand it this isn’t as much a PMDG issue as it is a Honeycomb issue...
                Not a honeycomb issue, since I cant bind it on a TM Boeing throttle quadrant either.

Comment

• Peter Clark
                  Peter Clark commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Does it bind that way on the default Boeings? I’ve never tried “toggle reverse” and every video I’ve seen doesn’t either.

Example https://youtu.be/iAVicVzF0Po around 8:34 for one example.

Perhaps throttle calibration will come when PMDG releases the EFB later this summer. That is where such functionality is in the FBW A320NX and Aerosoft CRJ is located.
                Andrew Jones

Comment

• Crabby
                  Crabby commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Throttle calibration has nothing to do with reverse thrust.

My reversers work absolutely fine out of the box with the same bind I have used for the A32NX and my Warthog Thrustmaster Throttle reverser gates for months.
                I will check later but I'm pretty sure the command to bind is Hold Decrease Engine 1 Thrust and Hold Decrease Engine 2 Thrust (or something close). Note decrease not toggle.

Toggle Reverse hasn't worked since SU6.
                Last edited by TheSledge; 10May2022, 15:06. Reason: Grammar corrected
                Simon Justice

Comment

• DrVenkman
                  DrVenkman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Toggle Reverse was fixed in SU7 or SU8. It was the first thing I tested in the Asobo 787 w/Heavy Division mod after I saw it in the sim release notes.

Reversers work fine for me. I have the Bravo throttles, to engage reversers I pull back throttles beyond idle and lift the thrust reverser handles on the Bravo. The config below works for me in most airplanes. I don't use any mod to control the axis, just default MSFS.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.
                Liveries for P3D on https://flightsim.hpage.com/
                Liveries for MSFS on https://flightsim.to/profile/alxcpt/uploads

Comment

• skysurfer
                  skysurfer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hello. I see two buttons are assigned for each throttle like 27 and 11. Can you explain what for? What does "+" sign mean? I assigned a button to throttle 1 and 2 decrease and reversers work, but I cannot stow them back.

• Alx5
                  Alx5 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  @skysurfer: to engage I pull the reverser handle up and the throttle into the reverse zone, That's why I have 2 buttons assigned per throttle. To disengage I push the reversed handle down and the throttle out of the extent tone. I have the Airliner throttle kit for this from Honeycomb. It won't work with the default handles.

• Airrich
                  Airrich commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What do you mean "Airliner throttle kit" from Honeycomb? The bravo I have came with 4 airliner throttles with reversers and I see no other substitutes on their website. Is this what you are using?
                  Last edited by Airrich; 19Jun2022, 22:32.

I think people are confusing two different things.

In MSFS, one can click a button (on any hardware) and this activates the reverse axis. You then use your normal throttle axis but it's in the reverse detent now.

It's lacking in the pmdg but in other addons without issue
                A Ridge

Comment

• pedrohenriquegs
                  pedrohenriquegs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Your post is exactly the point! This is the problem, maybe I wasn't clear in first post and the people got the situation on a different way

Guys seriously, this isn't about throttles that include their negative values in the full range of movement. Controllers with lift and push-through detents aren't the issue. The plane reverse thrust functions fine in the sim.

The issue is that if someone owns a throttle that only moves from 0-100, such as the TM Boeing TCA, where the reversers are activated via a button press and not an axis, the user has no way to bind a reverse axis without third-party software.

Comment

You can work around this on the Bravo if you're willing to sacrifice some realism. Instead of reverse toggle, you want the one that is "hold for reverse" or something along those lines. That's what I use on my Bravo. Flip the levers up (both are assigned to that bind as Lever1 + Lever2). Then you push the main throttle axis forward again and it will go into reverse, and you can control how much reverse thrust is used. when done, just idle the throttles and flip the levers back down. If you don't have a Bravo with levers like that you can still potentially work around it. For instance my previous setup with an X52 there was an easily accessible button on the throttle that I could just hold in while pushing the throttle foward.

edit: I have tested this on the 737 and it works perfectly. The only aircraft that doesn't support this method is the CRJ (that I've found so far).
                  Charles Paluda

Comment

Im also a little bit suprised that PMDG didn't realize this native MSFS function. I hope it will get added with a later patch, shouldn't be that much work, should it? :-)
                    Marcus Crampton
                    BAe JS4100 | 737-800/900 | 777-200LR/F

Comment

• Crabby
                      Crabby commented
                      Editing a comment
                      LOL, what makes you think that PMDG did not know how the native MSFS reverse function works?

HELP...I cannot get throttle number 2 to bind to my honeycomb bravo. Throttle 1 is fine, but 2 will not work. I tried it in 2 different slots (2d and 3rd from left). 1 works in either of 2 slots. In MSFS when I bind it, it looks like it works, but not after saving and going back to the cockpit.
                    Rich Hooker

Comment

• Airrich
                      Airrich commented
                      Editing a comment
                      OK I got them working. Seems I just had to reboot everything.

Originally posted by pedrohenriquegs View Post
                    Guys, to PMDG 737 for MSFS

Someone have a button to toggle reverse thrust? (...)
                    Thanks in advance
                    Yep.

Assign key or button to decrease throttle
                    decrease_throttle.jpg

Apply and save.

rev.jpg

rev_2.jpg
                    Krzysztof O

Comment

TenpaTrol, this thread is about this......

image_16519.jpg toggle pmdg.jpg
                      A Ridge

Comment

I have the Saitek pro throttles. I followed the FBW throttle set up to get rev thrust to work on the A320, they seem to work fine on this aircraft too...
                        Gary Lawes

hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - AGGH

Comment

Hopefully they can fix this soon. It’s a bit challenging sometimes landing without reverse thrust. One would think a basic feature like this was already in there
                          Rogier Beekhuis

Comment

Maybe they will add the toggle functionality later but sort of feel like this was a deliberate decision. The PMDG DC-6 works the way people are asking for above (except through the water rudder binding so it can drop the bar that blocks the throttles from going into reverse). Perhaps they just assume all you need is max reverse in the 737 while you need to modulate it quite carefully in the DC6 else risk damaging the engines.
                            Evves Meehakunoon

Comment

Since it's related to controls. Does anyone know if they finally fixed an issue where using KVM switch crashes the sim?
                              Aleks Matrosov

Comment

Has anyone figured out the thrust reversers on with the bravo throttle using Axes and Ohs?
                                Mike Wilkshire
                                DFW

Comment

• aceridgey
                                  aceridgey commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Maybe create a new thread as this topic is not about that

I have a Bravo Throttle. I personally don't like the idea of "holding reverse thrust using reverser levers and adjust reverser power using main axis" because it's not how the real plane works. From my limited experience in the simulator I seem to remember that engaging the reverse thrust may even lock the forward thrust lever in place? Don't quote me on this though.

Here's a close up of how the pilots operate the throttle upon landing, the throttle is retarded all the way to the bottom and reverser levers are the only things moving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEoVmbkJSYA

After experimenting a bit, I set my throttle detent at the bottom of the axis to be "decrease throttle", and the reverse thrust levers to be "hold reverse thrust". Upon touchdown, I engage reverse thrust and move the whole thing into the detent. At 60 knots, I keep engaging reverse thrust but moves the whole thing out of the detent plus a little tiny bit. This way it holds reverse idle until I disengage reverse thrust.

The advantage is this is a more realistic way of operating the throttle, plus you get reverse idle which you're supposed to keep engaged until engines spools down to a slow N1 so you don't get the "lurching forward" associated with too high an RPM when stowing reversers.

The disadvantage is of course it's now either idle or max reverse. Although that's not a terrible loss to be honest.

Note that this only seems to work (at least on my machine) when I set the controls to "either this button or that" (MSFS allows 2 assignments to one action). When I set two buttons to one action it somehow doesn't seem to work even though I'm moving both controls at the same time.

Hope someone will find this useful. Even better if someone can come up with a better assignment 😁
                                Having seen a recent incident involving Chris demanding a Latino folk to see his government issued ID to verify his real name, I've changed my mind about using my real name on a public forum due to privacy concerns. I hope one day PMDG will learn to respect customer's privacy and allow anonymous posting. Until then, take down my posts if you must, as I do not wish to participate in this forum any longer. Farewell my friends.

Comment

So, for MSFS what am I setting for reverse? In p3d and fsx it’s reverse throttle quickly.
                                  PMDG Cultist...Chris Honke (CYYZ)

Comment

Take a look at this video by Mark "The Simhanger"

A 3:01, he talks about the throttle assignments. The video shows how you configure the entire Honeycomb Bravo for all necessary levers and buttons.
                                    His ideas might help somebody with another quadrant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocOBFH5rOqo&t=564s

Regards,
                                    Roberto
                                    Roberto Stopnicki
                                    Toronto, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Boomer View Post
                                      So, for MSFS what am I setting for reverse? In p3d and fsx it’s reverse throttle quickly.
                                      I use the same method as was used in P3D and FSX. It works perfectly well in MSFS.

Comment

On the Bravo I have assigned the actual reverse levers to decrease throttle for each engine without repeat checkmark. It will enter idle reverse which is the usual reverse setting anyway. Releasing the levers will set „throttle cut“. If I need more than idle reverse I push the throttle into the detend below the axis which is set to „decrease throttle“ with repeat checked. It will give me max reverse.

I did that with AAO but it should work in the sim menu, too.

I assume that PMDG coded custom throttle axes so the default jet engine model is bypassed and the toggle button doesn‘t work for that reason.
                                        Ryzen 9 5900X, RX 6900XT, 32GB DDR4 RAM @3600MHz, 4k
                                        Marc Eland
                                        GFO Beta

Comment

• matrosov
                                          matrosov commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          Wouldn't work in a sim menu. They don't have do once thing there it's do and hold which is what causing problems everywhere in their control assignments not just PMDG planes all planes. That's why SPAD and AAO are so popular in MSFS more so than they were in P3D. 21st century advances in programming and yet we are still stuck in the 80s with MS sandboxes where they cannot allow a developer to create a custom command straight in sim UI so people can have nice and easy go customizing their controls.

• Ephedrin
                                          Ephedrin commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          There is a possibility to set it to the key up event, maybe this would work. But yes, pretty bad design.
                                      Working...
                                      X